Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Damn and blast!

The camera on my N8 has stopped working! Now what?

Repair it? The camera module can be replaced.

Replace it with an 808? I don't really want to pay out 300 for a second-hand phone.

Can I get a Belle Refresh Theme for android?

Which Androids have a built in FM transmitter? Any androids with decent cameras?

Take a look at the Nokia Lumia 820 before you immediately start thinking about Android would be my advice.

There's nothing particularly "wrong" with Android, I have numerous Android devices from phones to tablets, just that in my opinion it's still very much an immature OS and a tinkerer's toy. I was hoping to see some maturity with ICS and more recently Jellybean, but it just hasn't and doesn't seem to be happening.

The Nokia Lumia 820 has an 8MP camera and no FM transmitter, but it runs Windows Phone 8, which is the way Nokia are going, and you can get it for under €300 (Check the windows devices forum, I think it can be got for approx €270 on amazon).

What you could do too, is rather than get the N8 repaired, do like I did and buy a second hand one in perfect condition for €150 on Adverts.ie, and I know when this one gives up the ghost, my next phone will be the Lumia 820 which I will hope to pick up for around €200 in six months time, whichever comes first! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Take a look at the Nokia Lumia 820 before you immediately start thinking about Android would be my advice.

There's nothing particularly "wrong" with Android, I have numerous Android devices from phones to tablets, just that in my opinion it's still very much an immature OS and a tinkerer's toy. I was hoping to see some maturity with ICS and more recently Jellybean, but it just hasn't and doesn't seem to be happening.

The Nokia Lumia 820 has an 8MP camera and no FM transmitter, but it runs Windows Phone 8, which is the way Nokia are going, and you can get it for under €300 (Check the windows devices forum, I think it can be got for approx €270 on amazon).

What you could do too, is rather than get the N8 repaired, do like I did and buy a second hand one in perfect condition for €150 on Adverts.ie, and I know when this one gives up the ghost, my next phone will be the Lumia 820 which I will hope to pick up for around €200 in six months time, whichever comes first! :D
    Thanks, I think you are right.

I agree with you on android, I just think it's messy, which is what you get when you've a open structure on the user interface, I suppose.

Second hand N8 on "to buy" list.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

I got a new 808, 32 gb sandisk card and car charger on amazon for 390 euro in March. There are deals out there. It came from Australasia/Oceana zone but it's genuine and works perfectly. Very happy. Perfect upgrade from n8, all same features, better camera slightly bigger, faster. Worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

dr ro wrote: »
    I got a new 808, 32 gb sandisk card and car charger on amazon for 390 euro in March. There are deals out there. It came from Australasia/Oceana zone but it's genuine and works perfectly. Very happy. Perfect upgrade from n8, all same features, better camera slightly bigger, faster. Worth it.

Does it have an FM transmitter? I'd heard that some models don't.

Anyway - I've bought a second hand N8 in Blue, via ebay, should be with me early next week! It should do me until I can afford an 808, or Nokia see fit to add a storage card and FM transmitter to their 1020!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Im actually looking to swap my lumia 800 for an n8. Id prefer a phone with a better camera and expandable memory..
    I'd offer to swap, but you'd need a whole new shell for the N8

Should shift it easily enough, decent phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Maental2000

Looking to sell or swap my N8. If anyone is interested PM me. Much thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Anyway - I've bought a second hand N8 in Blue, via ebay, should be with me early next week! It should do me until I can afford an 808, or Nokia see fit to add a storage card and FM transmitter to their 1020!!
    It does have a transmitter yeah. Full spec. Dropped it into the bath on the weekend I got it! Back to n8 while it dried out. 6 months later it's still going perfectly. Thank fck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Some countries don't allow the use of the transmitter, so that's why you may have heard that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭cena

Why doesn't viber calling work on the phone

cena wrote: »
    Why doesn't viber calling work on the phone

It never did unfortunately, Viber never implemented the feature after promising it for so long. It's unlikely they'll ever implement it now.

So im selling my xperia z because I need cash for New Zealand. Looking to get a smartphone for around the 100 mark. Whats the music player like on the n8 as that's what id mainly use it for.

The music player is standard really, no particularly special features to boast about, but you can download alternative players with more functions from the Nokia store.

Audio quality on the N8 is quite simply superb. No more need be said on that score :D

I'll be buying the Lumia 820 myself in a while but I'll be keeping the N8 here for it's camera and music functions.

Cheers. Would I go for an n8 or stretch a few bob and get a 808. I want a good camera aswell for my travels.

If the camera is your thing, the 808 might be a better choice, I'm not sure how much more than the N8 it would cost you though, but Davy the Moderator here seems to be well clued in on all this stuff, or you could PM a user called jimmynokia, he is as the name suggests, a bit of a fan :D

Do many n8 owners still have the phone?

I still have mine from day one. working well. Phones have changed a lot since I got this phone.

Do many n8 owners still have the phone?

I still have mine from day one. working well. Phones have changed a lot since I got this phone.

Christ it's been a while since I saw this thread! :D

I still have mine, in daily use as my work phone, music player, camera, file storage, still going strong with the latest version of Nokia N8 Delight 6.4 custom firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Another happy N8 user here! What does the custom firmware give you?

Was considering upgrading but it is hard to find a phone which is so well made! For me it was the last of the decent Nokia phones!

• Advertisement

Wow the guys are still bringing out Delight software, would not have thought they'd be still at it!

branners69 wrote: »
    Another happy N8 user here! What does the custom firmware give you?

Was considering upgrading but it is hard to find a phone which is so well made! For me it was the last of the decent Nokia phones!

If you click the link in my post above branners it'll give you everything you need to know as it'd be too much to try and explain in a single post. One of the main benefits is of course speed, and hardware optimisation beyond Nokia's original intentions. It also includes numerous tweaks that you can apply to completely change how the phone looks, feels and operates. You could think of it as the Symbian version of Cyanogenmod for android phones - takes the phone well beyond it's original capabilities by allowing you to change settings you wouldn't normally have access to. This is what my Home Screen looks like at the moment -

7cDLpX.jpg

I recently bought a Nokia Lumia 625 (typing this on it now!) to take advantage of the 4G. It's Windows Phone 8, and I must admit I quite like it. Here's a recent thread in the Windows Devices forum where I gave my opinion on it -

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057184888/1/

Is that an official Nokia update

Is that an official Nokia update

No no, Belle Refresh was the last official update for the N8. The instructions are all on the website I linked to earlier if you wanted to try it out for yourself. I will have to say though that while it's unlikely you'll do any damage to your phone, there's every risk you could, and then you're just left with a paperweight. You can in some instances recover your phone, but I'm just putting that out there just in case anyone goes at it and makes a balls of it.

Probably best back up all your data too before you go about it - contacts, photos, music, files. I usually back all my stuff up with Nokia Suite, and then you can transfer them back once the update is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

N8 is still a very capable camera. I haven't compared it to the latest phones but I would not be surprised if it held its own against Galaxy S5 and others.

The lastest official firmware ruined it though. cuteBox does not work on it anymore.

I wish Nokia would do some more software updates. Belle must be 2yrs old now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

I wish Nokia would do some more software updates. Belle must be 2yrs old now.

Never going to happen.

I still have my N8 (as indeed does my wife - we got two at the same time). One of the main reasons I hold onto it, apart from the fact that it's still a great phone with a great camera, is the long-discontinued "Own Voice" app which allowed you to record your own voice directions for the sat-nav.

I got my then 4-year-old son to do them on my old E72 (which, by the way, is still going strong as my oldest boy's 1st mobile phone!) and later transferred them onto my N8. Four years later, it would break my heart to change phones and lose this. Would any of you happen to know if the file structure for the voice directions for Maps on Nokia's Windows-based phones is the same as in Symbian?

Still using mine - on the Xeon firmware.

I may change at some future date, but as I use the FM transmitter a fair bit I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Likewise, still going strong and still hooked on the FM transmitter. Mine was a Vodafone upgrade purchase and so I can't get the Belle Refresh update - anyone know if I brought it to a Nokia Store would they be able to force the update on it?

• Advertisement

Likewise, still going strong and still hooked on the FM transmitter. Mine was a Vodafone upgrade purchase and so I can't get the Belle Refresh update - anyone know if I brought it to a Nokia Store would they be able to force the update on it?

You could go further than that testa and put the custom firmware on it that I referred to in my earlier post. That's build on Belle Refresh, or as one of the other lads suggested, there's the Xeon custom firmware available. I just prefer Delight as it's cleaner. There are numerous other firmwares available too besides just those two main ones.

Advertisement