Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Only started using it(Skype) yesterday since downloading Belle and it worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭N1one

Italia wrote: »
    has anyone managed to get the skype app working in the N8?
    I downloaded it 3 times but can't get it to work in Symbian Belle
    Loads up the interface, asks me to login then pops up a message about data charges and closes down.
    Makes no difference if I log in with wifi switched on or WAP services active.

Any ideas?

I've had the same problem, no idea why!:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

N1one wrote: »
    I've had the same problem, no idea why!:confused:

When was this?
    There was some problems with belle but they were sorted out last month afaik.
    It has been working fine for me, I downloaded via ovi rather than Skype directly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭g0g

Anyone else been having problems with Swype since the upgrade to Belle? I'm having issues all the time with the "long press" option to get symbols into typing including the numbers of ( ) : @ & etc etc! I find I need to hold the screen longer than usual, and in some cases no matter how long I hold it won't appear when I release and the only option is to hold long enough for the little table to appear from which you select one.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I downloaded skype from Ovi - 3 or 4 times and I'm having problems :(

I am using the same credentials I use for my desktop machine, so I know they are correct. Even tried exiting the desktop service just in case there was a problem running 2 simultaneous copies. makes zero difference :confused:
    Davy wrote: »
    When was this?
    There was some problems with belle but they were sorted out last month afaik.
    It has been working fine for me, I downloaded via ovi rather than Skype directly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Is Belle worth downloading? I just got my phone working again after a lengthy absence (4th screen I've had to put in) and I'm happy enough with the OS the way it is. I don't really use many apps, just the sat nav, music player, bluetooth, camera and occasional web browsing (opera). I've heard the battery life is much worse with this version?

Depends..
    I downloaded Belle and apart from the battery life being a touch (:rolleyes:) less than under Anna, I'm happy enough. Phone seems to work better too.
    Again, my experience might be different to others, as 95% of my usage revolves around making and receiving calls and the rest is SMS and a few emails.
    I almost never use the phone for surfing the net or games or any other similar stuff.
    rickyjb wrote: »
    Is Belle worth downloading? I just got my phone working again after a lengthy absence (4th screen I've had to put in) and I'm happy enough with the OS the way it is. I don't really use many apps, just the sat nav, music player, bluetooth, camera and occasional web browsing (opera). I've heard the battery life is much worse with this version?

Italia wrote: »
    Depends..
    I downloaded Belle and apart from the battery life being a touch (:rolleyes:) less than under Anna, I'm happy enough. Phone seems to work better too.
    Again, my experience might be different to others, as 95% of my usage revolves around making and receiving calls and the rest is SMS and a few emails.
    I almost never use the phone for surfing the net or games or any other similar stuff.

Do you notice it being less sluggish? My main complaint at the moment would be that the menus can be very slow to load, just switching home screens can take up to 10 secs for all the icons to load, same when opening apps.

The first time you power up the phone from off, I do notice the widgets take some time to load. Thereafter no.
    Once the phone is fully booted, changing screens is very quick & smooth and the icons are 'there'.
    Opening apps? Apart from the Map Suite, the rest load in 1 or 2 sec, but then I don't have many apps installed. Maybe the behaviour is different with lots of apps installed.
    Do you notice it being less sluggish? My main complaint at the moment would be that the menus can be very slow to load, just switching home screens can take up to 10 secs for all the icons to load, same when opening apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Someone else posted that if you store the Apps/Music/Video on the memory card the phones runs faster and Apps open more quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

I'm running belle with lots of apps games email homescreen etc and it's not sluggish. If you're happy with your phone don't upgrade, on the off chance something goes wrong. If you're getting a little bored, then go ahead, it's worth doing, feels like a new phone.
    Btw if changing screen is slow try this: settings, themes, general, options, theme effects, off. Should speed things up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

My problem with the upgrade is battery life, it is appalling!!

I have to charge every night and then maybe again during the day!

Any solutions to the awful battery life?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

Try changing the theme, I found the same with certain themes from nokia store, with the current one I'm using (Steel Black Green DFLT free from nokia store) it flys along

branners69 wrote: »
    My problem with the upgrade is battery life, it is appalling!!

I have to charge every night and then maybe again during the day!

Any solutions to the awful battery life?
    Do you have energy profiler installed? Try it and see what your usage is. Mine is around .3-.4 w with no apps running or .05w in screensaver mode. Also try app stop. Both free from store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I was looking at this All About Symbian feature and spotted this tip that could help save some battery life if you're using Opera Mobile 12 to browse.
    That's the one. In Opera Mobile 12, go to opera:config.
    * In the Author Display Mode tab, enable Author CSS and User CSS. Author Fonts and Colours should be disabled.
    * In User Prefs, select Local CSS File, type in the path to your custom CSS file.
    * One example black-white CSS file is located in \System\Apps\OperaMobile\styles\user\contrastbw.css. You can modify it to make your own.
    My CSS file has the following line:
    * {
    color: #ffeeda !important;
    background: black !important;
    }
    It renders all sites as beige text on a black background.
    The black background should help battery life on any Nokia AMOLED-equipped S^3 phone. You'll have to mount the phone as a USB drive to create the file. Restart the app for it to take effect.

I'll attach a screenshot from my own phone with that colour scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

I dont know how this phone didnt become more popular,after using it for about 6months now,id buy second one in a blink of an eye :) ,so theres few reasons,the gps works standalone if you want it no need for wifi,and is accurate as a proper tomtom,all maps always updated and free,as recently i had to use android galaxy s2 navigation and its pure $hit ,shows wrong distances ,maps way of grid pure hell,someone who used both would understand.Secondly its bulletproof ,i work in physical environment and it did have few major hits and drops,but nothing went wrong.
    Also there is a lack of bigger screen or applications,but dont see a need for 99% of them :pac:,also symbian is complicated to operate and get used to but once configured its your best friend,So anyone looking for good smartphone consider n8 as they are ridiculous cheap for what they have to offer.

You didn't mention fm transmitter/ play to radio. That's a big selling point for me. I've been using the n8 for 18 months now. Bit shakey for a while but i persevered. Kept it updated as new releases came out. Luckily I wasn't locked to network. Now, running belle, it's perfect for what i want. Smooth, quick enough, not lightning but quick enough. Still best camera best gps one of the only transmitters, defo up there for build quality. I'm not looking to change it. Half keeping a eye on new releases of other brands but haven't/don't see a realistic upgrade! Might look at 808 in a month or 2 but not itching for a new phone at all. Maybe that's Nokia's problem. The last 3 phones I've had were nokias, and I had them for about 6-7 years in total. Now if I were an "Icustomer" I'd probably have had 5 iphones!

yeah fm transmitter is great,im no nokia fanboy but those phones hold for ages still got some phones 3310 :) and n91 both working,Just hope that they gonna keep the good models making in finland,As most people dont notice the difference but phones made in china and ones in europe are poor quality.Also not to bash other phones had iphone 3g and loved it to bits how simple it was to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Hiya - what protective case are you using on your N8?
    I'm getting another N8 & would get a case for this one...

KoNiT wrote: »
    no case or screen protector on mine,as i work in a warehouse its alvays bumping and brushing though boxes still not a scratch on a screen or body,unless u dont mind using etxra second or two answering the phone get one of these that flip open with leather case cheap and looks ok,just dont buy the rubber ones,as they make phone bulky and somewhat uncomfortable using side buttons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I'd recommend...

Nokia Silicone Case CC-1005

Or

Case-Mate Barely There

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭kirving

I have the Nokia Silicone case, and it fits the phone perfectly. I don't use it as often as I should though, as it's so grippy that it makes the phone hard to put into/take out of a pocket, but it's doing it's job I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭g0g

I have the Nokia Silicone case, and it fits the phone perfectly. I don't use it as often as I should though, as it's so grippy that it makes the phone hard to put into/take out of a pocket, but it's doing it's job I suppose!
    +1
    The silicon case also makes an excellent teether for a baby who won't put the phone down! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Was thinking of getting a Nokia N8 - is the battery life as bad as has been reported after the Belle upgrade. I was reading the Nokia Customer Support forums and it doesn't look like the problem has been solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Hey KoNiT, I've got a Nokia CC-1005 Black, original by Nokia, got it here...

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/nokia-silicone-cover-cc-1005-for-nokia-n8-black-p24469.htm

It cost me around €18 delivered and I have used it only a couple of times, it's got no signs of wear. If you are interested I could sell it to you for €10.

kagni wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting a Nokia N8 - is the battery life as bad as has been reported after the Belle upgrade. I was reading the Nokia Customer Support forums and it doesn't look like the problem has been solved.
    yeah it started using a lil more juice but nothing major depends on the usage,if heavy user then charge every night otherwise once in two or three days time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Is viber available for the N8 and if so, can anybody recommend a safe site for downloading it? I googled it but just got the usual torrentz download sites which I wouldn't be 100% happy with. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Is viber available for the N8 and if so, can anybody recommend a safe site for downloading it? I googled it but just got the usual torrentz download sites which I wouldn't be 100% happy with. Thanks.
    Afraid not unfortunately.

I have had the text message symbol (envelope) flashing on the top of my phone ever since I upgraded to Belle. It was also there before the upgrade with a message saying the sim card memory was full even though it definitely wasn't.

It doesn't seem to be doing any harm but it's really annoying, anyone have any idea how to get rid of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I have had the text message symbol (envelope) flashing on the top of my phone ever since I upgraded to Belle. It was also there before the upgrade with a message saying the sim card memory was full even though it definitely wasn't.

It doesn't seem to be doing any harm but it's really annoying, anyone have any idea how to get rid of it?

Probably seems like a very obvious answer but is it possible you've an unread text hiding somewhere?

Advertisement