Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Discodog wrote: »
    Has anyone used Skype on their Ascend. I have downloaded from the Play store but it won't log on even though my details are correct. But I can log on instantly using the same wifi via my computer

I have used it on mine & no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Technique

Here goes small tutorial how to make most of the phone:

1. Go to Tesco Mobile and order Yourself a free sim card

2. After You have card at Your hand go to Vodafone shop and tell them that You want to switch netork from Tesco to Vodafone -- 20 euros off the phone price.

2a. If You have unwanted phone You can bring it with You and ask Vodafone if they want it - from 5 to 50 euros off the phone price.

3. GO to eBay to purchase unlock code for this phone.

4. Go to ModaCo and follow instruction there to root Your phone.

5. Go to ClockworkMod Recovery for Huawei U8815/Ascend G 300 to install ClockworkMod Recovery (so You can install custom room on it.

6. Go to de-branded Rom for G300 to install custom room on it.

7. At this point You should receive Your unlock code so You can put Your sim in G300 and start playing.

I went thru above and now have unlocked and de-branded phone.

If You have any questions let me know.

Tom

I got a Tesco Mobile SIM today so that I can avail of the €20 off. Does this SIM need to be activated? Can I just give the shop assistant my new Tesco SIM, or will they check to see that it's working/activated?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Technique wrote: »
    Here goes small tutorial how to make most of the phone:

1. Go to Tesco Mobile and order Yourself a free sim card

2. After You have card at Your hand go to Vodafone shop and tell them that You want to switch netork from Tesco to Vodafone -- 20 euros off the phone price.

2a. If You have unwanted phone You can bring it with You and ask Vodafone if they want it - from 5 to 50 euros off the phone price.

3. GO to eBay to purchase unlock code for this phone.

4. Go to ModaCo and follow instruction there to root Your phone.

5. Go to ClockworkMod Recovery for Huawei U8815/Ascend G 300 to install ClockworkMod Recovery (so You can install custom room on it.

6. Go to [URL="http://blog.podtwo.com/android/rom/de-branded ROM for Huawei U8815 [gingerbread].html"] de-branded Rom for G300 [/URL] to install custom room on it.

7. At this point You should receive Your unlock code so You can put Your sim in G300 and start playing.

I went thru above and now have unlocked and de-branded phone.

If You have any questions let me know.

Tom

I got a Tesco Mobile SIM today so that I can avail of the €20 off. Does this SIM need to be activated? Can I just give the shop assistant my new Tesco SIM, or will they check to see that it's working/activated?

No need to activate it, online and in store they only look for the phone number

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Been looking at a few phones and I'm trying to decide between this and the Xperia Tipo. The Huawei has better hardware, but I notice a couple of people are having problems with it. The Tipo comes with ICS natively which is nice, and this review seems to put it in a pretty good light. What would people's thoughts be?

deconduo wrote: »
    Been looking at a few phones and I'm trying to decide between this and the Xperia Tipo. The Huawei has better hardware, but I notice a couple of people are having problems with it. The Tipo comes with ICS natively which is nice, and this review seems to put it in a pretty good light. What would people's thoughts be?

Don't let our experiences put you off... Its only happens to a small number of these devices (some online sources suggest 5%-7%)

Speaking for myself I have more of an issue with vodafones handling of the problem... I wonder would that fonemenders crowd be able to fix the problem for me or do they honor Huawei warranties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 EimearF

could anyone tell me how to save/download pictures from facebook onto the phone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,583 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I have a strange issue with mobile data on my Ascend G300 (O2 network)
    I cant get any webpages to work or files to download from google play when using mobile data.
    The installed apps work correctly though ,sat nav works and I can send texts via cabbage with mobile data but no browsing or downloads work.
    Everything works using wifi .
    Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Are your setting for O2 correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

EimearF wrote: »
    could anyone tell me how to save/download pictures from facebook onto the phone? :)
    It depends on what browser you're using but on mine you can just long press the picture and a menu comes up with an option to save the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rachelcork

Has anybody managed to. Unlock this?do. The codes off eBay work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Zardoz wrote: »
    I have a strange issue with mobile data on my Ascend G300 (O2 network)
    I cant get any webpages to work or files to download from google play when using mobile data.
    The installed apps work correctly though ,sat nav works and I can send texts via cabbage with mobile data but no browsing or downloads work.
    Everything works using wifi .
    Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem ?

In Google Play - settings - is it set to only download using wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

rachelcork wrote: »
    Has anybody managed to. Unlock this?do. The codes off eBay work
    Yes they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,583 ✭✭✭Zardoz

BostonB wrote: »
    Are your setting for O2 correct?
    Seems my settings were incorrect .
    http://www.o2online.ie/o2/help/article.php?aid=3618
    I had been using these settings
    http://community.o2online.ie/t5/MMS/Nexus-One-Android-APN-Settings/td-p/131907,which are faulty.
    O2 do a good job of hiding away the settings on their website and their customer service people assured me I had the correct settings.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

how do you backup apps etc without rooting?
    Young lad was playing a game on phone and all the apps were suddenly wiped!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 neumie

M cebee wrote: »
    how do you backup apps etc without rooting?
    Young lad was playing a game on phone and all the apps were suddenly wiped!

Did the phone also go back to factory settings and did it lock up? Check to see if the standard vodafone apps are still there also (things like the vodafone store app and the vodafone update app).

If it did then the phone is faulty. A few of us are having this issue.

the vfone stuff is gone except for vfone services
    Wifi settings,call log are gone
    Are vodafone aware of this?is it a recurring issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

There's no reason not to root. It's the same as saying yes to the UAC popups you get in Windows Vista/7. And it's totally reversible. If you're determined not to root though, you can download a program called HiSuite from Huawei's website that will backup pretty much anything you want from your phone. I think it's Windows only though.

clonadlad wrote: »
    Yes they work.

could you post the ebay user on this please?? thanks a million

GOT MINE TODAY FOR 29.99
    USED MY XPERIA RAY TO TRADE IN AND GOT THE FREE TESCO SIM SO 20E OFF!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why would you trade in a Ray its a better phone than the G300 IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

rachelcork wrote: »
    could you post the ebay user on this please?? thanks a million

GOT MINE TODAY FOR 29.99
    USED MY XPERIA RAY TO TRADE IN AND GOT THE FREE TESCO SIM SO 20E OFF!!!
    I used this place. But make sure when you're ordering that you have something down for your postal code cause that will be your password for getting the unlock code off their website. I didn't and it took a bit longer to get mine.

• Advertisement

well my ray may have been slightly broken(but dont tell vodafone) hahah

the vfone stuff is gone except for vfone services
    Wifi settings,call log are gone
    Are vodafone aware of this?is it a recurring issue?

It sounds like you have also been hit but the lock up/format issue. Those vodafone apps can not be removed without rooting the phone (i am assuming you didn't remove them yourself. please correct me if i am wrong :)).

no i did nothing with phone
    whats the story with this fault then and vodafone?

no i did nothing with phone
    whats the story with this fault then and vodafone?

You can bring it back and they will send it off for testing. However due to the nature of the problem its likely the phone will be returned with "No fault found".

The only way i got a result was to bring the phone into the store in its locked up state and show them. The phone was then sent off and replaced in a week (though in my case the replacement is even worse :().

What shocks me the most is that Vodafone aren't even aware of the problem... You'd think after all the returns they've gotten, all for the same reason, that something would have clicked with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

What shocks me the most is that Vodafone aren't even aware of the problem... You'd think after all the returns they've gotten, all for the same reason, that something would have clicked with them

I've been following this thread cos I'm planning on getting this phone on my next payday. I'm not so sure now, maybe I'll just settle for the Galaxy Y.

But I can't fathom how Vodafone haven't done some sort of recall on the phone considering this fault seems to be quite widespread? Although that could be just the impression I'm getting from this thread, correct me if I'm wrong!

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I've been following this thread cos I'm planning on getting this phone on my next payday. I'm not so sure now, maybe I'll just settle for the Galaxy Y.

But I can't fathom how Vodafone haven't done some sort of recall on the phone considering this fault seems to be quite widespread? Although that could be just the impression I'm getting from this thread, correct me if I'm wrong!

Its not known how many devices are faulty, we (as we are not vodafone) can only speculate unfortunately. A quick google search states that it's only with the initial batches of devices so wouldn't affect all of the phones produced from that point of view anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Its not known how many devices are faulty, we (as we are not vodafone) can only speculate unfortunately. A quick google search states that it's only with the initial batches of devices so wouldn't affect all of the phones produced from that point of view anyway

Yeah I reckon I'll still chance it anyway, I tend to get lucky with technology. My phones never really break, and I've never had problems with my ipod (had it for nearly 3 years now) so maybe I'll get away with this one too! May have just jinxed myself:p But for the price, I'm willing to chance it.

I don't know anything about all this rooting and ics stuff, so I may be back with questions in a few weeks because I want the phone to run as quick as possible when I do get it!

Yeah I reckon I'll still chance it anyway, I tend to get lucky with technology. My phones never really break, and I've never had problems with my ipod (had it for nearly 3 years now) so maybe I'll get away with this one too! May have just jinxed myself:p But for the price, I'm willing to chance it.

I don't know anything about all this rooting and ics stuff, so I may be back with questions in a few weeks because I want the phone to run as quick as possible when I do get it!

You could also always try the tipo, similarly priced but not as decent in specs as the ascend... You're paying for the sony logo really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Technique

I got this phone at the weekend and it's fantastic. Don't compare it with the galaxy y - my daughter has one and it's not in the same league as the g300.

Advertisement