Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

Zardoz wrote: »
    How does the Huawei compare to a Samsung Galaxy S Gt-I9000 ?
    My brother has one and is considering the Huawei but there doesnt seem to be much between them from what I can see.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Huawei-Ascend-G300,Samsung-Galaxy-S/phones/6991,4522

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

k123456 wrote: »
    Yes,I had compared them there ,seem very similar spec wise.
    I will tell him to stick with the Samsung for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

This is my first smart phone and I'm delighted with it so far. A few questions for the lads.

1. How long is the warranty on this phone?

2. If I muck around with the software will it void the warranty?

3. Will Huawei (Vodafone?) be releasing official android upgrades for this phone?

4. How do i get the GPS working?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

This is my first smart phone and I'm delighted with it so far. A few questions for the lads.

1. How long is the warranty on this phone?

2. If I muck around with the software will it void the warranty?

3. Will Huawei (Vodafone?) be releasing official android upgrades for this phone?

4. How do i get the GPS working?

Thanks.
    1. I actually don't know, never checked.

2. I believe so.

3. An official UK/Ireland ICS release is expected this month. Should be available OTA from Vodafone.

4. When you pull down the notification there should be a button to toggle gps on and off. I think it looks like a satellite dish on gb or a crosshairs on ics. Otherwise you can turn it on or off in the Settings > Location Services screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Just updated the phone using the new ICS Infusion Rom from dev. Tillaz , which has just been upgraded to Version 2, have to say its a marked improvement from the first time round, much snappier.

Updating isnt for the faint hearted so if you dont know what your doing be careful as you could brick the phone, however if your like me tinkering with the phone its good fun :).

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355994-rom-infusion-b010812-ics-403updated-01-08-12/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

donmeister wrote: »
    Just updated the phone using the new ICS Infusion Rom from dev. Tillaz , which has just been upgraded to Version 2, have to say its a marked improvement from the first time round, much snappier.

Updating isnt for the faint hearted so if you dont know what your doing be careful as you could brick the phone, however if your like me tinkering with the phone its good fun :).

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355994-rom-infusion-b010812-ics-403updated-01-08-12/

I flashed v1 of this Rom a few days ago, got laggy after a few days, will now flash to V2. (will need to install my apps again)

Lesson learnt, don't flash a new Rom straight away, wait a week or two, to see if it is all Optimal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Anyone using this on meteor? the settings I entered aren't working so ive no 3G or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭risenbass

Anyone using this on meteor? the settings I entered aren't working so ive no 3G or anything.

I had the same problem. Connect to wifi and download the "tweakker APN" app from the google play store.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tweakker&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS50d2Vha2tlciJd

Worked a treat for me. It should have you up and running in a matter of minutes. Hope it helps

risenbass wrote: »
    I had the same problem. Connect to wifi and download the "tweakker APN" app from the google play store.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tweakker&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS50d2Vha2tlciJd

Worked a treat for me. It should have you up and running in a matter of minutes. Hope it helps

Only seen this now,the Meteor store in Tallaght sorted me out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭risenbass

Only seen this now,the Meteor store in Tallaght sorted me out:D

They must stay open late enough. Fair play to them though. Glad its working for ya anyway

• Advertisement

I seem to be having difficulty staying connected to WIFI signals.

Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Have you tried somewhere else with a different router?

BostonB wrote: »
    Have you tried somewhere else with a different router?

Yeah, I'm going to do that later. Will report back, thanks.

No had any problems with my Wifi. I'm still on the stock Vodafone firmware/rom though. Just unlocked it.

I recently changed my router though it had become unreliable. Thats why I asked.

I cant root my ascend for some reason :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

I cant root my ascend for some reason :confused:

What have you tried?

I followed the instructions given in the first post of this thread and the only thing that tripped me up initially was the fact that I hadn't held down the power-on and volume-down buttons for long enough - when I did I had no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Can somebody help!!! Got this phone last Thursday. It's already reset to factory settings twice on me! I'm rooted running stock rom.

Seems when I open an app (cnet the first time, cabbage the second) the screen goes black and my only option is to pull the battery and reinsert which gives me android man in a box image and a few lines of code saying things like "formatting" and other scary stuff! Then it's back to factory settings, all apps gone etc.

Anybody with any help would be appreciated

Edit: reset 3 times now, while using fb messenger, really annoying me now -_-

Yeah, I'm going to do that later. Will report back, thanks.

Called to my brother's house and WIFI worked - went home and did a couple of things like reloading the password and getting the primary computer to recognise my phone and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Can somebody help!!! Got this phone last Thursday. It's already reset to factory settings twice on me! I'm rooted running stock rom.

Seems when I open an app (cnet the first time, cabbage the second) the screen goes black and my only option is to pull the battery and reinsert which gives me android man in a box image and a few lines of code saying things like "formatting" and other scary stuff! Then it's back to factory settings, all apps gone etc.

Anybody with any help would be appreciated

Edit: reset 3 times now, while using fb messenger, really annoying me now -_-
    Check posts from the beginning, some phones were reported with issues you are describing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

iwo wrote: »
    Check posts from the beginning, some phones were reported with issues you are describing

Many thanks :)

For those of you just tuning in now the posts redirect to here. Seems it'll need to be taken back to the voda shop tomorrow for a replacement. I'll have to buy a new unlock code but for a fiver on ebay I'm not going to cry too hard!

For those whom have rooted (I don't think they'll accept it if it's rooted) there's an option in SU settings called "unroot" just be sure to flash back to the stock rom first

• Advertisement

The_Thing wrote: »
    What have you tried?

I followed the instructions given in the first post of this thread and the only thing that tripped me up initially was the fact that I hadn't held down the power-on and volume-down buttons for long enough - when I did I had no problem.

Tried various rooting programs even apps like gingerbreak and z4root,it tells me there's not enough memory :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 neumie

Well I seem to be having the worst luck with this phone. Two of them have now broken on me with the locking up/formatting itself issue.
    On the first it would happen every 3-4 days. After quite a faff (basically vodafone couldnt find the fault after having the phone for 2 weeks so I had to wait for it to lock up and show them) it was finally replaced.
    The replacement just did it today after 2 weeks (however it wasnt the most reliable 2 weeks. It locked up when a call was incoming twice and also siezed up when trying to use the GPS on one occasion).

Is this a more widespread problem? I really like this phone when it does work but I dont fancy going through the whole mess of trying to get another replacement after this one.

Note: I havent rooted, unlocked or changed the firmware at all. It's the stock 886 it came with.

Edit: I forgot to ask are there any recommendations for another android phone for around the same price?

neumie wrote: »
    Well I seem to be having the worst luck with this phone. Two of them have now broken on me with the locking up/formatting itself issue.
    On the first it would happen every 3-4 days. After quite a faff (basically vodafone couldnt find the fault after having the phone for 2 weeks so I had to wait for it to lock up and show them) it was finally replaced.
    The replacement just did it today after 2 weeks (however it wasnt the most reliable 2 weeks. It locked up when a call was incoming twice and also siezed up when trying to use the GPS on one occasion).

Is this a more widespread problem? I really like this phone when it does work but I dont fancy going through the whole mess of trying to get another replacement after this one.

Note: I havent rooted, unlocked or changed the firmware at all. It's the stock 886 it came with.

Edit: I forgot to ask are there any recommendations for another android phone for around the same price?
    Is it locking up on the lock screen? The stock lock screen is buggy as hell, practically everyone has had to get rid of it. I think it's called potterunlock.apk but you'd need to be rooted to uninstall it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 neumie

Adyx wrote: »
    Is it locking up on the lock screen? The stock lock screen is buggy as hell, practically everyone has had to get rid of it. I think it's called potterunlock.apk but you'd need to be rooted to uninstall it.

It only locked up once on the lock screen. It happened when i received a call. The system became completly unresponsive on the lock screen (not the black screen with the green and red answer options, that never appeared) when the phone was ringing.
    Besides that the lock screen never gave me any trouble.

On another occasion i was browsing dinternet and the phone rang. An error message along the lines of "com.android has stopped responding and needs to close". I pressed close and the call was lost (I had no other option but to press close). It wasnt even recorded in the call log.

It's academic at this point anyway as the whole lock up/format thing means a return to vodafone...again. Well i will wait until it locks up again and then bring it in. Last time i couldn't reproduce it in the store led to 2 weeks of no phone and then the phone returned with "No fault found". Only when i could show them the error in the store did they get it replaced.

Hard to say whether the first 2 issues and the last are related. The first 2 sound like a software issue or 2 whereas the last issue is a hardware fault.

neumie wrote: »
    It only locked up once on the lock screen. It happened when i received a call. The system became completly unresponsive on the lock screen (not the black screen with the green and red answer options, that never appeared) when the phone was ringing.
    Besides that the lock screen never gave me any trouble.

On another occasion i was browsing dinternet and the phone rang. An error message along the lines of "com.android has stopped responding and needs to close". I pressed close and the call was lost (I had no other option but to press close). It wasnt even recorded in the call log.

It's academic at this point anyway as the whole lock up/format thing means a return to vodafone...again. Well i will wait until it locks up again and then bring it in. Last time i couldn't reproduce it in the store led to 2 weeks of no phone and then the phone returned with "No fault found". Only when i could show them the error in the store did they get it replaced.

Hard to say whether the first 2 issues and the last are related. The first 2 sound like a software issue or 2 whereas the last issue is a hardware fault.
    That sounds awful. this phone does seem a bit hit and miss. I've been very lucky and have had no major problems (apart from the lockscreen thing which was easily sorted) despite having installed almost every custom available on Modaco. :pac:

I'm on the Infusion Beta now and it really is superb. Very smooth and responsive with great battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Technique

Any word of this phone coming to other networks?

Vodafone were only to have exclusivity for the first three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Also got this lock screen during a recent call. Everything went unresponsive and missed call wasn't even stated in log. Haven't unlocked it yet as am bit of a noob to doing this. What's the best way to unlock it? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Also got this lock screen during a recent call. Everything went unresponsive and missed call wasn't even stated in log.

I was also getting this. Happened a few times.I was on stock rom. I moved to ICS recently & so far it hasn't reappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

The problem is this is a cheap phone. But I keep thinking its an expensive one, and judging as that.

Advertisement