Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Bought phone yesterday as a gift. Want to put the best / most stable rom on it if I can manage rooting it etc. Judging by talks of official ICS update forthcoming, would it be better to wait for a rom after this update is released or is whats out there now already the best it will get for ICS roms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

is there a fix for the the unresponsive screen and the buttons on the bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

flugel wrote: »
    Bought phone yesterday as a gift. Want to put the best / most stable rom on it if I can manage rooting it etc. Judging by talks of official ICS update forthcoming, would it be better to wait for a rom after this update is released or is whats out there now already the best it will get for ICS roms?
    It's a tough one to call to be honest. At the moment, in my opinion the best rom so far is the Infusion Beta. However, there's a new version of that due soon too so it might be worth waiting for that. In addition though, If Huawei can live up to its promises regarding the official ICS it might be better to wait for that. Unless you're very impatient (like me!) I'd say give it to the end of the month to see if the official ICS appears and what it's like.
    M cebee wrote: »
    is there a fix for the the unresponsive screen and the buttons on the bottom?
    Are you on a stock rom? What version? I can't say I've noticed anything myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ya i haven't done anything with phone

just waitin for ics

M cebee wrote: »
    ya i haven't done anything with phone

just waitin for ics
    Ah, you're probably on B886. I think later roms did tend to improve on responsiveness all right. If you don't want to mess around with unofficial roms, according to some people there should be an official update due later this week or next. It's not ICS yet, but it should help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Adyx wrote: »
    It's a tough one to call to be honest. At the moment, in my opinion the best rom so far is the Infusion Beta. However, there's a new version of that due soon too so it might be worth waiting for that. In addition though, If Huawei can live up to its promises regarding the official ICS it might be better to wait for that. Unless you're very impatient (like me!) I'd say give it to the end of the month to see if the official ICS appears and what it's like.

Cheers for the info. Might leave it on stock as it is now and check out the new roms in a month or so, see if it worth updating then. I like the idea of this as it puts the notion of rooting on the long finger! Procrastination is king! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

neumie wrote: »

Edit: I forgot to ask are there any recommendations for another android phone for around the same price?

Yes... The Sony xperia tipo, seems to have similar memory to the ascend, Android 4.0, though a weaker processor (800MHz as opposed to 1GHz) and a smaller screen (3.2 instead of 4.0 inches)!

Here's a link to the specs http://m.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_tipo-4718.php

If Vodafone don't sort out my ascend I'll demand a refund and buy this instead... It's only €150 Sim free in Argos so when it comes to a network it'll probably be cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 neumie

Yes... The Sony xperia tipo, seems to have similar memory to the ascend, Android 4.0, though a weaker processor (800MHz as opposed to 1GHz) and a smaller screen (3.2 instead of 4.0 inches)!

If Vodafone don't sort out my ascend I'll demand a refund and buy this instead... It's only €150 Sim free in Argos so when it comes to a network it'll probably be cheaper!

Thanks for letting me know about that :).

I would begrudge the extra 20 euro for less though :p.
    I am debating with myself whether to go for a second replacement g300 or a refund. When it does work it serves my needs very well. Its exactly what I am looking for.

Most people here also don't seem to be having a problem with it so maybe my store got a bad batch or i am just really really unlucky :(.

Anywho thanks for the suggestion. Certainly if ascend number 3 doesn't work out then I will certainly consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Running Infusion Beta 927 on the G300 now, fantastic, would recommend to everyone to install it. Tillaz (the ROM dev) also said that he will have another version of Infusion out of beta by the end of the week, cant wait! Love the development community aspect of this phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

flugel wrote: »
    Might leave it on stock as it is now and check out the new roms in a month or so, see if it worth updating then.

That's what I'm doing. I'm afraid of voiding the warranty too if I muck up the software. I believe it's hard to restore the phone to its original state if it goes pear shaped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Clitlady

That's what I'm doing. I'm afraid of voiding the warranty too if I muck up the software. I believe it's hard to restore the phone to its original state if it goes pear shaped.

125px-Apple-logo.svg.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

is it possible to get the language setting on the phone to irish(gaeilge) instead of english. on my huawei phone 's language settings it only shows english it doesnt give the option of changing it to french for example?

Most people here also don't seem to be having a problem with it so maybe my store got a bad batch or i am just really really unlucky :(.

That's a good point... Which store has given you the dodgy phones just so we know?

Got mine from Vodafone at the crescent shopping centre in Limerick just so everybody here knows!

is it possible to get the language setting on the phone to irish(gaeilge) instead of english. on my huawei phone 's language settings it only shows english it doesnt give the option of changing it to french for example?
    There's no Irish option in Android full stop as far as I know. It would be an awful lot of trouble to translate initially and maintain. Other languages are at the discretion of whoever supplied your phones rom. If you're on a stock rom, you should try contacting Vodafone.
    That's a good point... Which store has given you the dodgy phones just so we know?

Got mine from Vodafone at the crescent shopping centre in Limerick just so everybody here knows!
    Got mine from Vodafone.ie and haven't had a single issue with it.

Got mine from Vodafone.ie and haven't had a single issue with it.

Good to hear so Vodafone.ie ones are possibly reliable then

I got mine in the Vodafone store in Waterford City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AoifeRRR

Hi Neumie, I'm having the exact same problem except I can't get mine replaced because they can't find the fault. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056722621

I like the phone as well but am wary that this fault is more than a fluke - I've read other accounts of it happening to to other users across the internet.

AoifeRRR wrote: »
    Hi Neumie, I'm having the exact same problem except I can't get mine replaced because they can't find the fault. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056722621

I like the phone as well but am wary that this fault is more than a fluke - I've read other accounts of it happening to to other users across the internet.

Aye its quite frustrating.

The only way I got a replacement (for the lock up/format issue not this one) initally was by bringing in the phone in its frozen state and showing them. The staff took pictures in the store and sent it off with the phone and noted the fault was shown in store. I got my replacement a week later.

That's what I am doing again at the moment. I am just waiting for the replacement to lock up again and then I will bring it in and show them.

I know with the call/lock up fault though the phone still keeps ringing so leaving it locked up could be a problem.

Aye its quite frustrating.

The only way I got a replacement (for the lock up/format issue not this one) initally was by bringing in the phone in its frozen state and showing them. The staff took pictures in the store and sent it off with the phone and noted the fault was shown in store. I got my replacement a week later.

That's what I am doing again at the moment. I am just waiting for the replacement to lock up again and then I will bring it in and show them.

I know with the call/lock up fault though the phone still keeps ringing so leaving it locked up could be a problem.

So basically my phone going back to them is useless because they aren't able to see that it's been reverting to factory settings intermittently? I mean it happened 4 times in 7 days so I just handed it back to them in the reset state!

What do they expect us to do? Hang around the Vodafone stores day and night until the device freezes on us?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭PANADOL

great phone for the money a lot better than my old htc desire which i lost and replaced with this i have unlock code its now on the tesco network

• Advertisement

So basically my phone going back to them is useless because they aren't able to see that it's been reverting to factory settings intermittently? I mean it happened 4 times in 7 days so I just handed it back to them in the reset state!

What do they expect us to do? Hang around the Vodafone stores day and night until the device freezes on us?

That's basically my experience of it anyway. My first one I had the vodafone store send it off while it was working. They hung onto it for two weeks and then returned it stating "no fault found". So i took it back, got the lock up again in 3-4 days, brought it back in its locked up state (though by then the phone had actually broken, it refused to boot). They took pics, noted they saw the error in store, sent the phone off and it was replaced in a week (why vodafone dont replace it on the spot when they clearly see its broken I have no idea).

I haven't tried pointing it out in the store in fairness but the testers either didnt notice all the vodafone apps were gone (which can not be removed without rooting the phone) or they did and did not accept that as enough proof of a fault. I don't know the process vodafone go through when they test for a fault.

If you are getting the lock up->pull battery->it formats itself and returns to factory problem then when the phone locks up it should stay locked up (the battery will still charge). My phone locked up the night before I showed it to the store and it stayed fubar until the battery was pulled (and in my case was fubar when the battery was put back in).

Hopefully you will be luckier than I if you have sent it off and the phone will crap out in front of them :). But this type of error is a *BEEP* to deal with.

That's basically my experience of it anyway. My first one I had the vodafone store send it off while it was working. They hung onto it for two weeks and then returned it stating "no fault found". So i took it back, got the lock up again in 3-4 days, brought it back in its locked up state (though by then the phone had actually broken, it refused to boot). They took pics, noted they saw the error in store, sent the phone off and it was replaced in a week (why vodafone dont replace it on the spot when they clearly see its broken I have no idea).

I haven't tried pointing it out in the store in fairness but the testers either didnt notice all the vodafone apps were gone (which can not be removed without rooting the phone) or they did and did not accept that as enough proof of a fault. I don't know the process vodafone go through when they test for a fault.

If you are getting the lock up->pull battery->it formats itself and returns to factory problem then when the phone locks up it should stay locked up (the battery will still charge). My phone locked up the night before I showed it to the store and it stayed fubar until the battery was pulled (and in my case was fubar when the battery was put back in).

Hopefully you will be luckier than I if you have sent it off and the phone will crap out in front of them :). But this type of error is a *BEEP* to deal with.

Well my phone did it twice in the space of 5 hours last Friday (the day before I handed it in) although mind you the second time I didn't pull the battery (hoping to go in and show it to the vodafone people resetting) but it reset without a battery pull... Weird eh?

Well hopefully (thankfully?) since it happened more frequently to me they will find the problem lol

Yet another leaked "official" ics rom. What the fúck are Huawei doing? We're up to B934 now and still no proper release or hardware ui acceleration. On the upside it's supposed to be quite smooth.

*Sigh* I suppose I better install it and try it for myself. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Seems much like my Xperia Mini, except with a worse camera and cpu. That wasn't free of issues either.

BostonB wrote: »
    Seems much like my Xperia Mini, except with a worse camera and cpu. That wasn't free of issues either.

With more storage, slightly larger screen, lower price tag and android 4.0.

Also I'd imagine the CPU, while weaker, would be a more recent one (snapdragon as opposed to scorpion) and therefore probably is smoother despite the lower clocking speed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Yet another leaked "official" ics rom. What the fúck are Huawei doing? We're up to B934 now and still no proper release or hardware ui acceleration. On the upside it's supposed to be quite smooth.

*Sigh* I suppose I better install it and try it for myself. :P

Let us know how you get on with it.
    I put on the B927 rom & overall find it ok though the calendar app doesn't work & battery life is only so so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

With more storage, slightly larger screen, lower price tag and android 4.0.

Also I'd imagine the CPU, while weaker, would be a more recent one (snapdragon as opposed to scorpion) and therefore probably is smoother despite the lower clocking speed...

The mini has a Micro SD slot so storage isn't an issue and its getting 4.0. The mini wasn't slow tbh. The screen was a bit small though. Main problem was overheating. Horses for courses. My point was Sony aren't exactly bug free with their phones, or always quick at fixing those bugs.

jgbyr wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on with it.
    I put on the B927 rom & overall find it ok though the calendar app doesn't work & battery life is only so so.
    Right well first impressions. There's no great leap from previous ics builds. Like I said still no ui acceleration but it is pretty fast. Faster than the Infusion Beta even.

It does come with some Huawei crap (or at least it is to me). But no VF stuff so it's not that rom yet. Since I can't see Huawei ever releasing a full proper and official ics rom at this stage, I think a custom rom like Infusion based on this or the Jellybean based CM10 (possibly in development) will be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Has anyone used Skype on their Ascend. I have downloaded from the Play store but it won't log on even though my details are correct. But I can log on instantly using the same wifi via my computer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Anyone know when Vodafone are releasing the update for ICS?

Advertisement