Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

My view on this phone,

Mine came with stock b886, updated to atomicmod, speed was a bit faster, pages loaded quicker etc but not by much and also got the random reboot, also didn't like the font. I updated because it said it had youtube hd, didn't work for me it was still hq

Then tried ics too many bugs, lags and fore closures maybe it was me not installing
    it properly, but i done a full wipe,
    and then trying to get back to ginger bread is too much grief and sweats

Gone back to stock b886 now If u don't feel comfortable with installing cwm or rooting,
    don't do it.

The phone will do everything you want it to do, out of the box.

Think of widows xp and widows 7, xp can do everything 7 can but simpler and less ram

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

I insalled Atomic, very easy process, then a couple of weeks later, installed Infusion, not quiet as easy. Atomic is faster than Infusion, however Infusion has a nicer ICS interface. To revert back from infusion to Atomic, I think requires a bit of tinkering around

As one of the posters has said, Wifi drops on Infusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I just received my Tesco SIM in the post. Do I have to activate it before I buy the Huawei or can I just go up with the SIM in my pocket and drive on?

You don't have to do anything. Just head into the Vodafone store and tell them you want to switch numbers when you are buying the phone and give them the Tesco number.

i assume the sim needs to be active to port to it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Does anyone know a way to get rid of the Vodafone Web Page that appears whenever I click
    on bookmarks without rooting the phone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Discodog wrote: »
    Does anyone know a way to get rid of the Vodafone Web Page that appears whenever I click
    Have you tried a third-party browser?

• Advertisement

Adyx wrote: »

No & that's a good idea - Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I received my unlock code today and the instructions direct me to put in an unrecognised SIM and enter a long number.

When I try to enter the long number it wont let me go past 8 digits.

Any suggestions for a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Sorted. Phone unlocked.

So far so good but I moved the "world" browser icon to the bin but I can't see how to put the new browser's icon in it's place.

Edit: Just found the answer !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

So far so good but I moved the "world" browser icon to the bin but I can't see how to put the new browser's icon in it's place.

I just "long pressed" or whatever on the new web browser was and moved it down to where the "world" icon was and it worked grand.

I just "long pressed" or whatever on the new web browser was and moved it down to where the "world" icon was and it worked grand.

Thanks. That has just worked for me as well !

• Advertisement

Does the phone operate from the SD card after the phone is rooted?

I was wondering if I could root the phone with a borrowed SD card until I get my own one or does a rooted phone need to have an SD card to run a clean (Vodafone crapware free) version of android?

I was wondering if I could root the phone with a borrowed SD card until I get my own one or does a rooted phone need to have an SD card to run a clean (Vodafone crapware free) version of android?
    No it runs fine without an SD card. In fact as far as Android itself is concerned, there's a 2.5GB SD card built in.

No it runs fine without an SD card. In fact as far as Android itself is concerned, there's a 2.5GB SD card built in.

Thanks.

Just for an idiot's guide clarification - I still need to stick in an SD card temporarily to do the software stuff but it will run when I take it out?

I was going to do this but I am fairly sure that I have removed the Voda crap or at least stopped it from appearing. The only time I see voda is on the switch on screen. The only bits that I found were the phone page on one of the home pages & a link to the Voda site.

I was going to do this but I am fairly sure that I have removed the Voda crap or at least stopped it from appearing. The only time I see voda is on the switch on screen. The only bits that I found were the phone page on one of the home pages & a link to the Voda site.

You got most of the Vodafone stuff off without having to muck around with installing new software is it?

Thanks.

Just for an idiot's guide clarification - I still need to stick in an SD card temporarily to do the software stuff but it will run when I take it out?
    Yep, I even just checked mine to be sure. Some apps you may have installed might have stored data on the SD card depending on your settings (large games and Swiftkey Keyboard for example) but while it might affect those apps, it won't stop the phone from operating. It's pretty much the same as sticking a memory stick in your PC.

You got most of the Vodafone stuff off without having to muck around with installing new software is it?

Well all I could find that related to Vodafone was that home screen with the phone settings on it - which I dragged to the bin :D

The only other Vodafone annoyance was the internet home screen that kept appearing. Following the advice here I down loaded the Dolphin browser & used it to replace the standard browser. It's much better & so far (touches wooden table) the Vodafone page hasn't reappeared.

So apart from those two I don't know what other Voda bits are on it. I am already on Voda so I didn't need to unlock it.

Having had the phone for a few days I have to say that I am very pleased. It's a good phone anyway but at the price, it's a remarkable phone.

I think that, once the Huawei brand is established, the prices will rise. They have just launched the World's fastest smartphone.

Having had the phone for a few days I have to say that I am very pleased. It's a good phone anyway but at the price, it's a remarkable phone.

I think that, once the Huawei brand is established, the prices will rise. They have just launched the World's fastest smartphone.

Hopefully Huawei will bring down the price of other company's devices rather than raising their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

To change the Home page from the Vodafone one on the stock browser, just open the page you want to use as you home one.

Select the Menu button on bottom left of phone.

Then select More, scroll down & select Settings.

Finally scroll down & select Set Home Page.

If you tap the Use Current Page, the browser will change the home page to the one you opened.

Job done!

Opera & Dolphin HD are two excellent browsers if you don't like the stock one.

keredern wrote: »
    To change the Home page from the Vodafone one on the stock browser, just open the page you want to use as you home one.

Select the Menu button on bottom left of phone.

Then select More, scroll down & select Settings.

Finally scroll down & select Set Home Page.

If you tap the Use Current Page, the browser will change the home page to the one you opened.

Job done!

Opera & Dolphin HD are two excellent browsers if you don't like the stock one.

Thanks. I didn't see that in the menu. I have changed to Dolphin which seems to be faster than the stock browser.

Is there any more news as to when or whether there will be an official release of 4.0 ?

• Advertisement

My home page screen has changed from the no 3 screen to the no 2 screen, how the heck do you change it back? If you pinch the "desktop" you can see all 5 screens and which one is home. But the edit button doesn't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

When you pinch to zoom out and see all 5 screens, hit the little house icon on the screen you want to be your home screen

Cheers thats sorted it.

Jaysus, putting on these screen protector things is tough :o

Where did you get a screen protector for it. The web?

BostonB wrote: »
    Where did you get a screen protector for it. The web?

Just off eBay for like 2 or 3 quid. You get 6 of them. 2 are wrecked by me already tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Paid for the unlock code on Ebay how long before I get a response?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

How does the Huawei compare to a Samsung Galaxy S Gt-I9000 ?
    My brother has one and is considering the Huawei but there doesnt seem to be much between them from what I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Zardoz wrote: »
    How does the Huawei compare to a Samsung Galaxy S Gt-I9000 ?
    My brother has one and is considering the Huawei but there doesnt seem to be much between them from what I can see.

Its newer :pac:

• Advertisement

the samsung might not get ics

Advertisement