Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Technique wrote: »
    I got this phone at the weekend and it's fantastic. Don't compare it with the galaxy y - my daughter has one and it's not in the same league as the g300.

It's more the price comparison I was talking about, I'm aware the Huawei is a different calibre of phone :P Nice to see a positive comment about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

_meehan_ wrote: »
    What shocks me the most is that Vodafone aren't even aware of the problem... You'd think after all the returns they've gotten, all for the same reason, that something would have clicked with them

I've been following this thread cos I'm planning on getting this phone on my next payday. I'm not so sure now, maybe I'll just settle for the Galaxy Y.

But I can't fathom how Vodafone haven't done some sort of recall on the phone considering this fault seems to be quite widespread? Although that could be just the impression I'm getting from this thread, correct me if I'm wrong!

Don't forget that as with anything people are quick to complain when things go wrong so it can seem like a higher proportion than it actually is.
    I got my ascend last Tuesday and have to say so far so good, great quality phone for the price.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

deconduo wrote: »
    Been looking at a few phones and I'm trying to decide between this and the Xperia Tipo. The Huawei has better hardware, but I notice a couple of people are having problems with it. The Tipo comes with ICS natively which is nice, and this review seems to put it in a pretty good light. What would people's thoughts be?

Ended up going with the Ascend. I put this on straight away and so far its running great. I'm happy with the screen, speed and battery life. Only complaints would be that its a massive pain to get the back cover off, and the sound quality isn't fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Ended up going with the Ascend. I put this on straight away and so far its running great.
    Is there any official proper European release of ICS for this phone yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Zardoz wrote: »
    No, and it's beyond a joke at this stage. Huawei and Vodafone have been promising it for months now. Meanwhile CM10 (Jelly Bean) development is coming along great with pretty much just one guy doing all the work. I'd say we'll see that before an official ICS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Adyx wrote: »
    No, and it's beyond a joke at this stage. Huawei and Vodafone have been promising it for months now. Meanwhile CM10 (Jelly Bean) development is coming along great with pretty much just one guy doing all the work. I'd say we'll see that before an official ICS.

Jelly Bean? Sweet. Just got the phone, can't be bothered flashing roms now, just going to wait until this is released whenever, should set the phone up for the forseeable future!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

Adyx wrote: »
    Zardoz wrote: »

Would you have a link to the thread or forum re CM10 (Jelly Bean) , please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

Ended up going with the Ascend. I put this on straight away and so far its running great. I'm happy with the screen, speed and battery life. Only complaints would be that its a massive pain to get the back cover off, and the sound quality isn't fantastic.

Back cover is easy to get off, read post 7 here http://www.modaco.com/topic/354099-how-to-pen-the-back-cover/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

k123456 wrote: »
    Would you have a link to the thread or forum re CM10 (Jelly Bean) , please
    Modaco seems to be down again! It's the thread that was originally for CM9. I can't remember where exactly the CM10 discussion starts but basically the dev has CM10 working but I don't think the actual phone parts, Bluetooth and camera are working yet amongst a few other bugs.

Edit: Modaco is back. Here's where the thread veers into CM10 discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Anybody else find the G300 screen a magnet for dirt ?
    Mine is always covered in grease and smudges .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It doesn't have the oleophobic coating of expensive phones I expect.

BostonB wrote: »
    It doesn't have the oleophobic coating of expensive phones I expect.

That is the one thing, this phone lacks, although that aside, great phone

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Gunth

Hi, I bought this phone recently and I can only get surf the net on the phone through wifi. Does anybody have the correct settings for Vodafone? I rang Vodafone technical support but once I got off the phone from them and restarted the phone I still could not access the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Gunth wrote: »
    Hi, I bought this phone recently and I can only get surf the net on the phone through wifi. Does anybody have the correct settings for Vodafone? I rang Vodafone technical support but once I got off the phone from them and restarted the phone I still could not access the internet.

You can get the settings from Google Play - Vodafone Ireland Settings:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ie.vodafone.handsetsettings&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImllLnZvZGFmb25lLmhhbmRzZXRzZXR0aW5ncyJd

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Gunth

Thanks for the link jgbyr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 thatonegirl

This post has been deleted.

ya it's on vodafone. only €129, €50 if you trade in a blacberry curve for it before the end of august.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jonny Drama

ya it's on vodafone. only €129, €50 if you trade in a blacberry curve for it before the end of august.

Get a free Meteor sim on meteor.ie, then go to the online VF store, say you're changing networks, use the meteor number you were given with the new sim, and you'll get the fone for 110euro..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭moffit

Bought this phone at the weekend, first impression is it's great, very similar to my old HTC Desire S. But I did notice the screen is unresponsive at times. For example, when I'm browsing the phone and want to return to the home screen I have to hit the home button 3 or 4 times before it will return to the home screen, even though I can feel it vibrate each time I hit the home button it doesn't respond.

Also when I turn the screen side-ways or upside down the layout won't follow the screen being turned around... Maybe I've not activated something in settings for this?

Yesterday the screen froze a few times and I had to re-enter my PIN to get the phone working again even though I hadn't turned the phone off!!

I'm a little disappointed with it now, I had researched it a good bit before purchasing and I was looking forward to using it, but these little problems are annoying..

Anyone else having these problems? Any way to sort them? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38 neumie

moffit wrote: »
    Bought this phone at the weekend, first impression is it's great, very similar to my old HTC Desire S. But I did notice the screen is unresponsive at times. For example, when I'm browsing the phone and want to return to the home screen I have to hit the home button 3 or 4 times before it will return to the home screen, even though I can feel it vibrate each time I hit the home button it doesn't respond.

Also when I turn the screen side-ways or upside down the layout won't follow the screen being turned around... Maybe I've not activated something in settings for this?

Yesterday the screen froze a few times and I had to re-enter my PIN to get the phone working again even though I hadn't turned the phone off!!

I'm a little disappointed with it now, I had researched it a good bit before purchasing and I was looking forward to using it, but these little problems are annoying..

Anyone else having these problems? Any way to sort them? Thanks

The unresponsive buttons at the bottom are a firmware issue. It should improve significantly when ICS is released (there is a fix for the current gingerbread firmware also but i dont know whether vodafone will release that here).

As for the system restarting is your sim old? If so you may need to pop into vodafone and get an updated one. Thats all i can think of for that issue anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

moffit wrote: »
    ...Also when I turn the screen side-ways or upside down the layout won't follow the screen being turned around... Maybe I've not activated something in settings for this?...

If you drag down the notifications theres a shortcut for it there.

I think you got to remember this is a cheap phone. Its v.good for a cheap phone, you can't really compare it with phones costing 3 or 4 times as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

Just saw the huawei ascend g330D on a site the only difference I see is that it has a dual core processor and it has android 4.0.4. http://www.pandawill.com/huawei-u8825dascend-g330d-smart-phone-android-40-cortex-a5-dual-core-10ghz-3g-gps-40-inch-ips-screen-p66150.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Just saw the huawei ascend g330D on a site the only difference I see is that it has a dual core processor and it has android 4.0.4. http://www.pandawill.com/huawei-u8825dascend-g330d-smart-phone-android-40-cortex-a5-dual-core-10ghz-3g-gps-40-inch-ips-screen-p66150.html

will voda upgraDE TO THIS....:confused:

when is the bleedin official rom update for irl due :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I think it's a dual sim

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Discodog wrote: »
    I think it's a dual sim

It's both!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

keredern wrote: »

I think it's a dual sim

It's both!!:D

Meaning Vodafone will likely not upgrade to this model... The thought of having another networks Sim in their phone would probably make them cry lol

Mind you... €150 with worldwide free shipping and payment with Paypal... Tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A family member has an Ascend in the UK. How easy are the unlock instructions for someone who isn't very computer literate ?

Unlock : Covered on this thread

Basically u buy an unlock code on ebay, approx 5 stg, u get full instructions from Ebay seller on what to do, v easy 1 minutes work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Technique

A family member has an Ascend in the UK. How easy are the unlock instructions for someone who isn't very computer literate ?

Basically, a box will appear along with the numeric keyboard when you insert the 'wrong' SIM and restart the phone. You will enter the 16-digit (I think) unlock code which the ebay seller has emailed to you. It's very easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 neumie

Well its back to the 20th century for me :(. My second ascend was locking up when receiving calls so I managed to reproduce the issue and bring it into the store. Full credit to them they decided to give me a replacement or refund on the spot but I decided to go for the refund.

Back to saving...ah well.

Advertisement