Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Concert - Swedish House Mafia *** READ POST 121 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Screen-Shot-2012-07-11-at-17.03.06.jpg

I was there for both the riot and the gig..

They should have waited until after the gig to riot because Dylan was at his worse, an absolute dire gig by Dylan.

But the day was saved by UB40 and an amazing Santana ~ oh boy they played an absolute stormer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

+1

I said it in another thread, and I speak with the benefit of 20 plus years in the industry.

The guys working these events are the dregs of the security industry.

As for the PSA, they're just another useless FF/Green quango which has made a balls of something they were entrusted with.

Good post Scud.

Dregs is probably too strong a word but I get where you're coming from. The trouble is Security Company X is coming in undercutting Y and Z just to get the work. The rates have been driven down so you end up with those that will work for the lowest rates - Students and younger people that just want the few bob. When the sh*t hits the fan that's not who you want covering your back.
    There's still a few good guys there but they're few and far between and usually cover the pit and/or stage area.
    Can't really blame MCD for taking the lowest priced option. No doubt this has been sold to them - they're told that they'll have 100 security/stewards or whatever. A licenced security company should be able to provide good people.
    Caliden wrote: »
    Completely agree with the statement about them not getting any more licences.
    They have been running festivals for several years now, failed to learn from experience and each time they try to pass the blame to someone else whether it be security, the gardai or the people attending the festivals.
    Enough is enough.

And I completely disagree!! Do yourself or Deputy Moloney have any idea how many concerts MCD run in a year? Most of them are relatively trouble free and very enjoyable for those that attend.
    Alan Shatter not happy with the security arrangements? I'm not happy with the scumbags that are running around either. Will he have a word with all his Judges to ensure that all those convicted of offences relating to this gig get the maximum whack that they can? Or will they get another slap on the wrist and told to behave themselves the next time?

Ultimately, no matter how many security were there some of these scumbags were going to cause trouble regardless. Blame drink, blame drugs, blame MCD... Whatever you do don't blame the scum that brings weapons to concerts.
    2 people were stabbed in Dublin on Tuesday night BTW. Barely made the news.

DISCLAIMER: No..I don't work for MCD or any other promoters, but IMO this is a society problem that has just found an outlet for it's scummish behaviour.

EDIT: Just out of interest I had a quick look at MCD gigs & events for the rest of the year. A quick count shows 170 between now and Christmas. Various sizes and venues but that's a lot of shows and a lot of work for people. Probably means about 300 or so for the year - but Shatter and Moloney are on their high horse because one went tits up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Time to stop talking about the Phoenix Park and do something instead
    Jim Carroll

It was a classic Irish summer news story. Last weekend’s trio of shows in the Phoenix Park created headlines which had nothing to do with the fluff and froth which usually accompanies mainstream media music coverage. When the news desk rather than the showbiz desk are directing operations, there’s a different emphasis to the story.

All the elements for that classic were present and correct: open-air live concerts, atrocious weather, some nasty crimes, a couple of thousand young people, the biggest live music company in the country, drink, drugs and three Swedish DJs playing bland pop music.

Mix ‘em all together and you’ve a story to keep newspapers, radio shows and online gasbags in clover for a week. One can only imagine the new angles which will be explored in this weekend’s media.

But let’s hope this story doesn’t simply get filed away until the next time something like this occurs. It’s not enough that we merely tut and sigh over the issues which arose as a result of last weekend’s concerts, from the big picture stuff about Irish society’s abusive relationship with alcohol to the questions promoters MCD need to answer about their management of the event. We actually need to do something which goes against every kernel of being Irish: we need to stop talking and take action.

It suits all the vested interests (and there are many) for the talking to go on and on, but wouldn’t it be amazing if some steps were taken as a result of all this? One such move would be to make the licence application process for big outdoor events totally transparent, with proper public meetings and consultations.

It may be easier to avoid the issues and demonise dance music fans than do something like this, but it would be far better to be adult about all of this and take some long overdue action.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Lets be honest yes we do have an absive nature towards alcohol in this country and drug aswell. But were either of these a cause of what happened at SHM no they werent. Ive seen on various places people blaming alcohol and drugs bull****.

I like a drink most weekends have I ever got really drunk yes, have I ever done drugs in my past yes I did but did I ever stab someone, did I ever randomly headbutt a woman, did I ever randomly walk up to someone and slice them across the face with a blade nope ( both of which happened at SHM)

The people who were doing these things were scum of the earth sober or drunk they have that mentallity to do the kind of things.

How do you stop it from happening im not sure, the only options i see isno more event of that nature, now I like proper dance music but I wouldnt attend most the event anymore because even they attract that element to them, or make them like fort knox it might cost a fortune in security but if they want to stage them it has to be a neccessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Time to stop talking about the Phoenix Park and do something instead

Brilliant piece, and the last line of the article for me sums it all up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Ally Dick wrote: »
    What the f@ck are they doing letting a concert take place beside a deer sanctuary and a zoo ? It's madness

Ah come on now, every knows deer love The Stone Roses.

On the Jim Carroll thing, just because he writes an article in the journal of record, doesn't mean he isn't one of the rest of us i.e. someone who talks lots but doesn't do anything himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

Interesting article in today's times about it:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0714/1224320063780.html

Well worth a read. Again bad publicity for MCD. Shocking stuff when you read it and gives a damming view of the organisation and policing on at the event. Imagine being a family going on a day out to the zoo and seeing some of the things reported on the article. I accept that it could be a tad sensationalist but nonetheless it's still a shocking read

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

Zzzzzzzzzzz. Boring

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

Caliden wrote: »
    Completely agree with the statement about them not getting any more licences.
    They have been running festivals for several years now, failed to learn from experience and each time they try to pass the blame to someone else whether it be security, the gardai or the people attending the festivals.
    Enough is enough.

So what next then?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Wake up call for the whole MUSIC INDUSTRY.... i hope just a little .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Always why people have to cover themselves in Mud? Is it like Popeye with Spinach?

I have noticed that the Music Industry seems to be closing ranks .I say this because very good posts are being removed 0n "Breaking News" ...has anybody else experienced this .Maybe i've speculated wrongly but you know industries often Party together and other things . It stinks like ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

conor678 wrote: »
    Interesting article in today's times about it:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0714/1224320063780.html

Well worth a read. Again bad publicity for MCD. Shocking stuff when you read it and gives a damming view of the organisation and policing on at the event. Imagine being a family going on a day out to the zoo and seeing some of the things reported on the article. I accept that it could be a tad sensationalist but nonetheless it's still a shocking read

That is a made up article if ever I saw one. People selling a drug called "death"? Would McDonalds sell a burger called the McShyte?

Of course not. It is off putting. A bit like taking an unknown drug called death of all things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I was on an evening walk and there were very few guards in uniform .. it was disgusting .I had to drive quickly out of the place .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

paddyandy wrote: »
    I was on an evening walk and there were very few guards in uniform .. it was disgusting .I had to drive quickly out of the place .

You were on a walk but had to drive? I thought the Park was closed to all traffic when the concert was on?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I attended Soundgarden in Hyde Park last Friday. There was such a complete difference in security on entrance compared to any other event I have ever attended, bags were thoroughly searched and my OH was patted down.Not sure if this is the norm in the UK as I have only attended festivals or smaller gigs there or the fact they are souped up security wise in preparation for the Olympics.

It was a savage gig,despite the rain and I didnt see any trouble tho I cant say I ever see much trouble at rock/metal gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Cathal_91 wrote: »
    that looks like the worst thing in the world, leaving aside the godawful music SHM play...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Cathal_91 wrote: »

These people are the absolute dregs of humanity. I can honestly say this is the closest representation of what I imagine Hell to be like that I have ever seen. I say bring Swedish House Mafia back, but this time lets have some napalm ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Apart from the muck, scumbags and Swedish House Mafia. I think that looks like great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭squonk

A relative commented on the gig yesterday from something she read in the paper from 'some other band who were playing' saying that the parents of the kids have something to answer! More of the Music Industry closing ranks and trying to lay the blame anywhere outside the tent they can. Of course, the parents have some say in the antics of their kids but considering the crowd there were in their teens, the damage and bad parenting is long done so it's certainly a factor to consider rather than a root cause.

My opinion is that it was lack of adequate preparation, or as Roy Kean puts it, "Fair to prepare, prepare to fail". You're not going to need the same number and type security personnel at Paul Simon as you're going to need at SHM, David Guetta etc. I think there's always the potential for being blindsided and no event management is going to get things 100% right 100% of the time but I've done my fair share of outdoors big summer gigs and I gave up after Oasis and Prodigy in Slane a few years ago. It was obvious at that stage that things needed to improve.

While no company can get things right all the time, the company can take steps to ensure they skew the odds of a successful gig in their favour. Here in Galway if I'm trying to get into some of the later bars with a fair amount of drink having been already taken, then I might as well just call it a night as it aint happening. Letting a bunch of pissed and/or drugged up people into an area and then allowing them to buy more drink and also allowing them to take more substances because they were inadequately searched on the way in is like throwing some petrol over the cooker fire in your kitchen and wondering afterwards why the house burned down.

Some things need to happen arising from this and a clear message needs to be sent to all of us concert goers.

1. If you show up at a gig off your trolley then you're not getting in... PERIOD. Promoters I presume do still print on their ticket T&C's that right of admission is reserved (haven't looked at the T&C's in years). They're covered!

2. If you attack another concert goer, you should be arrested and prosecuted and given a meaningfully stiff sentence if found guilty.

Will these two things mean that concerts will become 100% enjoyable for all and that we're never going to have incidents again? No, most likely not but flash point incidents might not be as plentiful or accute.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

that looks like the worst thing in the world, leaving aside the godawful music SHM play...

I can't relate in any way to those people. I'm not even sure if I'm a member of the same species.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

jaysus lads. its a few 18 year old kids dancing and having a bit of craic in the mud at a gig - shocking stuff altogether! Cop on will yiz.

Fine, talk about the scum who did the stabbings etc but leave the rest of them alone. Jaysus were you ever young?

"Dregs of society". ?? give us a break would ye.

jaysus lads. its a few 18 year old kids dancing and having a bit of craic in the mud at a gig - shocking stuff altogether! Cop on will yiz.

Fine, talk about the scum who did the stabbings etc but leave the rest of them alone. Jaysus were you ever young?

Address people other than 'Jaysus' Lads . It was much more than craic in mud ...'was disgusting what went on along Chesterfield Avenue .They were Drunk before they entered the park and i could see the style of walk that it was'nt alcohol alone .Kids' most of them and very few Guards about . Trouble was brewing by the expressions on some of the faces .
    Don't make light of it .

paddyandy wrote: »
    Address people other than 'Jaysus' Lads . It was much more than craic in mud ...'was disgusting what went on along Chesterfield Avenue .They were Drunk before they entered the park and i could see the style of walk that it was'nt alcohol alone .Kids' most of them and very few Guards about . Trouble was brewing by the expressions on some of the faces .
    Don't make light of it .

what you're commenting on is a video of a group of kids (albeit maybe some a bit worse for wear, but not unusual at any concert) dancing in mud to music in a field. pure and harmless fun and you haven't an ounce, not an ounce, of evidence that they were any trouble.

feel free to go to town on the ones who caused the trouble. I've no sympathy for them. but don't tar them all with the same brush, lads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

The video posted is populated with absolute dirtbags. That they are "having a bit of craic in the mud" doesn't change that fact. They are animals, plain and simple.

What kind of moron rolls around in muck to repetitive beats and calls it fun? It is retarded, loutish behaviour, engaged in only by the most obtuse members of society. These people are the dregs, I stand by that comment.

So how about "yiz" cop on instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

i didn't say that.

How do you know the people slagging it off aren't the same age as the people in the video? Or younger?

The video posted is populated with absolute dirtbags. That they are "having a bit of craic in the mud" doesn't change that fact. They are animals, plain and simple.

What kind of moron rolls around in muck to repetitive beats and calls it fun? It is retarded, loutish behaviour, engaged in only by the most obtuse members of society. These people are the dregs, I stand by that comment.

you're funny.

- have you met any of them?
    - do you know where they're from?
    - do you know their history?
    - do you know know if they caused any trouble on the day?
    - do you know if they've caused any trouble, anywhere, ever?

let me answer for you - its "no" to everything. Yet you proudly proclaim them all as "absolute dirtbags".

beyond pathetic.

They could all be murderers for all I know. Except that's the point - I don't know. What you're looking at is harmless fun unless you had a basis to call it something else. Which you don't.

Would you classify a bunch of people sitting in silence at a classical music concert "a bunch of snobs"?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

My sentiments exactly its disgusting behaviour something i wouldnt have even done as a teenager if i came back with mud all over me to my family i would have gotten a wallop for it,times have definately changed..Theres no respect for anybody,theres no fear of authority,such as security or the guards or teachers,and theres no respect for other members of society..We see that every weekend with them falling about shouting abuse at passers by trying to get people into altercations etc..

On the stabbing in the UK,i hate to say it but the music is quite good and i do have an album that said though when it comes to rap concerts and house music/tech/rave it attracts the most scummy element..
    Youd never see that at a more intimate alternative type rock concert like even the more popular ones like stone roses,you wouldnt see it..Its the culture of people it attracts,and the drugs have changed dramatically i was doing classes on it recently,and the amphetamines are all sythesized fake crap,theres even head shop stuff on the streets that they are selling,god only knows whats in them to make you go off your coot..

Advertisement