Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Concert - Swedish House Mafia *** READ POST 121 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

I dont understand why they dont operate the Gardai at these things like they do in England for the football. say to MCD they need 300+ guards and make them pay their wages, would help bring a bit of control and get rid of some of the "security" who cant do anything because their hands are tied.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Missing Girl has been found safe and well :)
    She had a good night so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

And anyone can create rock songs on a €79 guitar from Argos. Stupid point there boss.

and alot of people can press button's and pretend they're a dj , its not pointless at all tho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Goose81 wrote: »
    I dont understand why they dont operate the Gardai at these things like they do in England for the football. say to MCD they need 300+ guards and make them pay their wages, would help bring a bit of control and get rid of some of the "security" who cant do anything because their hands are tied.
    MCD would fight that tooth and nail because they won't want to pay overtime rates for loads of Gardai at every gig.
    they would probably point out the hundreds of gigs they run that don't require more security than there currently is, and tbh, i think they're right. they should use their common sense to put on extra security for acts like this that were always going to attract lots of scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

She had a good night so

a good wknd she made of it...

we can joke about it now, right? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 LaoisHoolyMan

I was just reading through this thread after hearing about the unfortunate events that unfolded. I was originally supposed to be doing security at this gig (its stewarding essentially, not security) but at the last minute I was told that numbers were needed in Galway for the Volvo Ocean Festival so went there which went off without a hitch.

I'm not stupid and i'm quite aware that both events attract a different demographic of people but there wasn't a hint of trouble all day in Galway despite many attendees drinking throughout the day. Essentially i'm just trying to make the point that it isn't always drink that brings out the worst in people.

Security at the main entrance must be tighter though at these type of events. I went to Oxegen in 2008 and could quite easily have carried a machine gun in with me if I so pleased (not that I bring a machine gun everywhere I go ;) ) The security is almost non-existent and in many cases the security/stewards are you're average 'young lad' that will more than likely be over-whelmed by the sight of an outbreak of such serious violence

Also, I should also mention as a steward for similar events previous, All stewards are given a briefing before been deployed to their positions and are clearly told that we may not lay a hand on anyone. Our responsibility is to report an incident to a supervisor or Gardai, so as mentioned above the stewards hands are seriously tied. A bigger Gardai presence is simply essential to try and combat this crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Was it a good gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

A V A wrote: »
    and alot of people can press button's and pretend they're a dj , its not pointless at all tho

Anyone can play air guitar:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Was the OD at the gig a load of tabloid bollocks? Has this been confirmed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

nm wrote: »

Yeah I haven't heard anywhere what the cause of death was.
    As for the whole dance music debate I think its pretty unfair to blame dance music for the problems. In my experience any outdoor gig in Ireland by a mainstream act that isn't very 'safe' ie. the likes of Snow Patrol/Kings of Leon etc is going to attract trouble, I've seen lots of it at the likes of Oasis/Arctic Monkeys in the past although no stabbings I have to admit.
    Also wouldn't be of the opinion that drink/drugs is to blame for these incidents, scumbag is as scumbag as does, incidents like these happen every weekend in Ireland its just that normally there isnt such a large amount of troublemakers in the same place at once

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

nm wrote: »
    fairly sure someone died at it anyway.
    i'd say an "overdose"almost certainly didn't happen though. far more likely the guy took something that wasn't actually ecstasy and was actually piperazines, or PMA, or some other sh1tty chemical that can often fukc people up that are occasionally being passed off as ecstasy pills these days.
    or else maybe some sort of underlying heart defect which was triggered by a mix of coke, drink, and dancing like a mentaller.
    could well have just been a case of Sudden Adult Death Syndrome and the guy didn't take anything.
    you'd have to do a serious ****load of most recreational drugs to "overdose".

expect the tabloids and the Joe Duffy listeners to blame it all on the drugs though, even before the facts are established.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

22-year-old Raymond Donnan from Greenfort Crescent in Clondalkin, Dublin has been accused of assault causing harm, possession of a knife, violent disorder and public order offences arising from the stabbings at Saturday’s Swedish House Mafia show in the Phoenix Park.

The Central Court was told that Donnan was arrested that night at 9.55pm, and when charged the following evening declined to say anything.

Of the nine people injured during the concert, one remains in a critical condition after being stabbed four times in the back and kidneys.

http://www.hotpress.com/Swedish-House-Mafia/news/Man-charged-in-connection-with-Phoenix-Park-attacks/8993043.html?new_layout=1

Swedish House Mafia have issued a statement concerning their Saturday night headliner in the Phoenix Park, which was marred by nine stabbings and the death from a suspected overdose of a man in his twenties.

“We didn't see anything but have asked for all the info and are respectful of the promoter's need to wait and give us all the clear facts,” say the duo. “When we know more we will liaise with the Festival promoter directly on what we can do to help but for now we have to respect their request to us that we remain quiet and respectful of their event safety processes. The festival itself was amazing and we had no idea this had happened and neither did the other numerous artists who played. Once we know all the facts we will deal with it in the best way we can.”

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

fairly sure someone died at it anyway.
    i'd say an "overdose"almost certainly didn't happen though. far more likely the guy took something that wasn't actually ecstasy and was actually piperazines, or PMA, or some other sh1tty chemical that can often fukc people up that are occasionally being passed off as ecstasy pills these days.
    or else maybe some sort of underlying heart defect which was triggered by a mix of coke, drink, and dancing like a mentaller.
    could well have just been a case of Sudden Adult Death Syndrome and the guy didn't take anything.
    you'd have to do a serious ****load of most recreational drugs to "overdose".

expect the tabloids and the Joe Duffy listeners to blame it all on the drugs though, even before the facts are established.

One lad died after going to the medical centre at the gig and being transfered to Connolly Hospital. Another lad that was at the gig took ill at at a house party and also died in hospital later. No confirmed cause in either death yet but the second lads family have said that he taken something. The third death that was reported wasn't someone who was at the gig but was a heroin addict that OD'd in a boozer, totally unrelated to the concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tiroskan

Cathal_91 wrote: »

Ah, that one lad on the left in particular who's pure monged. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Interesting comments from this Irish Times article
    A MCD spokesman said they were “very happy” to co-operate with both the gardai and the Department of Justice pointing out that 511 stewards and 145 gardaí were on duty within the arena. The license for the concert stipulated that a minimum of 364 security personnel be on duty.
    Be interesting to see how many of the Stewards were actual "security personnel" if any?
    Connolly Hospital in Blanchardstown treated 38 patients on Saturday night and Sunday morning, the Health Service Executive said today.

The patients were treated for minor injuries, alcohol and drug related use and stabbing injuries. Six patients were treated for stab wounds of whom two are still inpatients, the executive said.

Patients came from the vicinity of Phoenix Park. However the HSE could not confirm that all of the patients attended the concert at Phoenix Park, it said.
    A spokesman for the Mater Hospital in Dublin said it treated eight patients in its accident and emergency department after the concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

Tiroskan wrote: »
    Ah, that one lad on the left in particular who's pure monged. :p

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭lc180

Incidents aside...

Was there much of a crowd for Calvin Harris, didn't he start only 20 mins after the gates opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

lc180 wrote: »
    Incidents aside...

Was there much of a crowd for Calvin Harris, didn't he start only 20 mins after the gates opened?

Pretty sure they moved the gate time back an hour so the Original Rudeboys ended up being first after all. Could be wrong on this though. There was 8000 people there by the time the Original Rudeboys got on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Having a pretty big interest in dance music for about the last 15 years and been clubbing and gig going for the last 10/11 years i can safely say i have seen a serious decline in the quality of irish dance events in terms of the crowds, i gave up on them a long time ago, trance in particular, just attracts the wrong type in ireland & i can say this based on my experiences of trance gigs all over the uk, ibiza, germany, holland over the years. Its been likened to hooliganism already by someone, it is.

SHM are as was point out earlier, loved by teens & skangers, ESPECIALLY teen skangers. I remember Angello & Ingrosso being pretty decent 6/7 years ago, even saw them in galway in 2006. Now, they are ridicilously cheesey, its karaokee dance and it mainly attracts a younger audience, the entire lineup was geared that way.
    another major question to be asked, how are under 18's getting in? Whos enforcing that?
    Drink & drugs & that aged crowd is always going to be verrry messy.

I would say hand on heart the exact same crowd will go to david guetta & avicii & also isnt there a deadmau5 show in the rds coming up aswell?

For me, the days of going to anything large scale or even remotely commercial in ireland in terms of dance music are finished, it just isnt worth the potential hassle, effort & money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 manicmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

From reading this thread and my own experience in going to ****loads of gigs over the last 15 years in Ireland, the US, the UK and Holland these are the 2 main issues I can see are as follows:

1) Scumbags will be scumbags, what you need is proper legislation that if someone carries a dangerous weapon be it a knife, glass bottle (smashed or otherwise) and they attempt to use it on someone, that they are charged with attempted murder or appropriate. You may not be able to stop them from using it but you can make damn sure they don't have the opportunity again. Also in all my time going to gigs I have never seen anyone smoking weed or taking ecstasy ever being involved in a fight!

2) Festivals need proper security. I've been to festivals in Europe and you can tell that the security there are properly trained. They know when to lay back and they know when to act and how to act. The security at electric picnic (as far as I know) are generally the Scottish lads who do Glastonbury so they know for the most part how to deal with a festival crowd.

In my experience MCD tend to use an outsourcing company for a lot of their security at large events which tend to lead in a best case an inexperience member of security and in the worst case means having someone completely inappropriate having the job of security. I remember going to Oxegen a number of years back and hearing that someone who I knew was doing security there and my mouth literally dropped as this guy was as dodgy as **** and wasn't a stranger to the courts, put it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

That was at TITP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

johnnykilo wrote: »
    From reading this thread and my own experience in going to ****loads of gigs over the last 15 years in Ireland, the US, the UK and Holland these are the 2 main issues I can see are as follows:

1) Scumbags will be scumbags, what you need is proper legislation that if someone carries a dangerous weapon be it a knife, glass bottle (smashed or otherwise) and they attempt to use it on someone, that they are charged with attempted murder or appropriate. You may not be able to stop them from using it but you can make damn sure they don't have the opportunity again. Also in all my time going to gigs I have never seen anyone smoking weed or taking ecstasy ever being involved in a fight!

2) Festivals need proper security. I've been to festivals in Europe and you can tell that the security there are properly trained. They know when to lay back and they know when to act and how to act. The security at electric picnic (as far as I know) are generally the Scottish lads who do Glastonbury so they know for the most part how to deal with a festival crowd.

In my experience MCD tend to use an outsourcing company for a lot of their security at large events which tend to lead in a best case an inexperience member of security and in the worst case means having someone completely inappropriate having the job of security. I remember going to Oxegen a number of years back and hearing that someone who I knew was doing security there and my mouth literally dropped as this guy was as dodgy as **** and wasn't a stranger to the courts, put it that way.

Excellent post. Your spot on, the risk associated with causing someone serious harm is negligible. We really need the judges to pass some whopper sentences to make people think twice about random violence.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

johnnykilo wrote: »

also live nation take a huge part in event management on mcd gigs these days, funny how they can run glasto without a hitch but a day gig in a park is a blood bath, the difference between the two imo, the crowd not the management

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I see that SPIN magazine has reported on the incidents in the Phoenix Park.
    http://www.spin.com/#articles/swedish-house-mafia-concert-marred-violence?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=071012

Boards.ie even get a mention!!
    On Ireland's Boards.ie forums, attendees described an event marred by a "serious rough crowd" and "fights all day."

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Nolan14

Does any 1 no what the leave the world behind you remix was i found the set list but it's not the remix that was played at the gig if someone no's it please post it much appriciated :D

live nation take a huge part in event management on mcd gigs these days, funny how they can run glasto without a hitch but a day gig in a park is a blood bath, the difference between the two imo, the crowd not the management

IMO The differences between the two gigs are not just down to the crowd, they are due to the hugely different approaches to public safety spending, alcohol consumption, event licensing, drug enforcement, corporate greed, and general cop on and ability to act like an adult between concert-goers in the two different countries mentioned.

Irish attitudes to all of these things (both from the Irish authorities and organizers as well as from Irish gig-goers and ticket buyers) have created a situation here where promoters (no names mentioned) can easily skimp on security, enforcement, policing contributions, stop and search, crowd control, and all of the other costs that go with running a show without any fear of sanction, while at the same time charging some of the highest ticket prices for gigs in all of Europe. In short, Ireland is easy pickings.

A big gig in Ireland is a license for a major promoter to charge whatever they want, skimp on lots of the running costs, and make lots of profit, and if there are any consequences (like the ones we had last weekend), all they have to do is pay lip service in a public statement, and express regret that a few bad apples spoiled it for everybody else, and that will be the end of the matter for them. No slap on the wrist, no fines, they're free and clear.

As regards to specific concert promoters and their track records in Ireland, I'm going to tread carefully and stick to facts here, and only talk about what I've seen personally from one promoter in particular, lest i be accused of being libelous or infringing on anyone's reputation or deserved good name (whatever happened to open public discourse on the net? The threat of litigation has got everybody walking on eggshells around here).

I personally have seen MCD and their agents shirking their responsibilities on several occasions in the past while running large gigs in Ireland, often involving very serious consequences for their paying attendees, but with none so far for themselves in terms of any resulting sanctions, fines, withdrawal of licenses etc.

The last large, open-air MCD event i attended was AC/DC in Punchestown in 2009, a venue which was grossly unsuitable for the purpose. I was charged far too much for my ticket, had a thoroughly miserable experience in gaining access to the venue by public transport due to insufficient and downright dangerous access planning, had a torrid time while there due to the dreadful organization within the venue itself, and left early to avoid the traffic mayhem which eventually occurred.

While approaching the venue and attending the show, i saw gross breaches of public safety and fire and emergency access regulations, widespread failure to stop and search due to insufficient spending by the organizers on staff and marshaling, sales of alcohol to minors, public drunkenness to the point of vomiting and unconsciousness, widespread littering, violence, insufficient planning around crowd movement, improper lighting, pedestrian access, parking, toilet facilities, and improper and unsuitable provisions around access to public transport (which later resulted in stampeding and trampling injuries to many people who rushed the buses after the show, in fear of another 5 hour trip home).

I left that show vowing never to go to another large open-air MCD-promoted gig in Ireland (which i haven't), and wondering how long it would take before somebody lost their life at one of their events due to a combination of their irresponsibility, the lack of any appropriate sanctions or deterrent being visible under law, and the general stupidity and irresponsibility of some of the Irish concert-going public.

It seems i have my answer.....and yet all of the noise that the dreadful events at this recent phoenix park gig has generated in the press will die down by next week and will all be forgotten about...until it happens again next time.

How many concert goers have to die at an event like last weekend's before all parties concerned are willing to really genuinely do something about it? Do we really need another incident on the scale of the stardust disaster before people are willing to demand something is done here? Why do we always need loss of life and the associated outrage that goes with it to shock us into action in Ireland?

We will never get anywhere on this unless everybody involved stands up and takes responsibility for their actions. Everybody has a part to play here. The promoters, the lawmakers, the educators, the drinks industry, the security and police enforcement task forces, the parents who give impressionable children their attitudes to drink/drugs, and above all the concert-goers themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

We will never get anywhere on this unless everybody involved stands up and takes responsibility for their actions. Everybody has a part to play here. The promoters, the lawmakers, the educators, the drinks industry, the security and police enforcement task forces, the parents who give impressionable children their attitudes to drink/drugs, and above all the concert-goers themselves.

Excellent post.. it is certainly a multi-faceted problem, down to organisation / demographics / cultural attitudes etc etc

A really well thought out post (including your opinion on MCD's motivation), in stark contrast to Brian Boyd's horribly simplistic blame-it-on-dance-music piece in the Irish Times today

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0710/1224319720403.html?via=mr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

As regards to specific concert promoters and their track records in Ireland, I'm going to tread carefully and stick to facts here, and only talk about what I've seen personally from one promoter in particular, lest i be accused of being libelous or infringing on anyone's reputation or deserved good name (whatever happened to open public discourse on the net? The threat of litigation has got everybody walking on eggshells around here).

I personally have seen MCD and their agents shirking their responsibilities on several occasions in the past while running large gigs in Ireland, often involving very serious consequences for their paying attendees, but with none so far for themselves in terms of any resulting sanctions, fines, withdrawal of licenses etc.

The last large, open-air MCD event i attended was AC/DC in Punchestown in 2009, a venue which was grossly unsuitable for the purpose. I was charged far too much for my ticket, had a thoroughly miserable experience in gaining access to the venue by public transport due to insufficient and downright dangerous access planning, had a torrid time while there due to the dreadful organization within the venue itself, and left early to avoid the traffic mayhem which eventually occurred.

While approaching the venue and attending the show, i saw gross breaches of public safety and fire and emergency access regulations, widespread failure to stop and search due to insufficient spending by the organizers on staff and marshaling, sales of alcohol to minors, public drunkenness to the point of vomiting and unconsciousness, widespread littering, violence, insufficient planning around crowd movement, improper lighting, pedestrian access, parking, toilet facilities, and improper and unsuitable provisions around access to public transport (which later resulted in stampeding and trampling injuries to many people who rushed the buses after the show, in fear of another 5 hour trip home).

I left that show vowing never to go to another large open-air MCD-promoted gig in Ireland (which i haven't)

In fairness, it's better now than when MCD's heavy hitting legal team meant that we weren't even able to mention an MCD event on here...

Advertisement