Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Concert - Swedish House Mafia *** READ POST 121 BEFORE POSTING***

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

paddyandy wrote: »
    I was on an evening walk and there were very few guards in uniform .. it was disgusting .I had to drive quickly out of the place .
    paddyandy wrote: »
    Address people other than 'Jaysus' Lads . It was much more than craic in mud ...'was disgusting what went on along Chesterfield Avenue .They were Drunk before they entered the park and i could see the style of walk that it was'nt alcohol alone .Kids' most of them and very few Guards about . Trouble was brewing by the expressions on some of the faces .
    Don't make light of it .

Im sorry but you remind me of this skit on the impressions show of ross kemp :pac:

But seriously you havent really said anything instead of 'it' was disgusting. People had a style of walk in your opinion that they may have taken something and by the faces of the people 'trouble' was brewing. You dont mention any altercation with anyone so although there was a lack of gardai presence as you pointed out nothing really happened. Why didnt you just walk on through?An example would be to walk down any street in any town on a saturday night and it would be similar not saying its right but certainly the same. And you knew a concert was taking place in the park so maybe go to a quieter spot for a walk.

By the way I acknowledge that the security wasnt acceptable with regards the stabbings etc.

My sentiments exactly its disgusting behaviour something i wouldnt have even done as a teenager if i came back with mud all over me to my family i would have gotten a wallop for it,times have definately changed..Theres no respect for anybody,theres no fear of authority,such as security or the guards or teachers,and theres no respect for other members of society..We see that every weekend with them falling about shouting abuse at passers by trying to get people into altercations etc..

On the stabbing in the UK,i hate to say it but the music is quite good and i do have an album that said though when it comes to rap concerts and house music/tech/rave it attracts the most scummy element..
    Youd never see that at a more intimate alternative type rock concert like even the more popular ones like stone roses,you wouldnt see it..Its the culture of people it attracts,and the drugs have changed dramatically i was doing classes on it recently,and the amphetamines are all sythesized fake crap,theres even head shop stuff on the streets that they are selling,god only knows whats in them to make you go off your coot..

Maybe you parents did but 'times certainly havent changed' as you put it. Did you grow up the eighties? How come at in concert in 1984 http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/news/looking-back-20-years-on-a-sunday-concert-at-slane-marred-by-riots-753017.html there was riots by 'drink fuelled' youths as the article put it and they wrecked the village. Where was the respect for authority there? Of course everyone looks at there era as being angels when something like this happens but I would put it more down to inadequate security to be honest as the article points out. Its similar to the SWHM gig to be honest - inadequate security

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

People came to a gig with knives. What is the mindset of people like that?

Signed,
    Non-Knacker who grew up in the 1990s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Crime is a lot more unprovoked and violent now,people seem to walk around doing those things not needing an excuse,i think it is fair to say the drugs have changed,and the mindset has changed,people dont go out to smoke some bud have a can and relax with some e maybe and just chill be happy out remember the smiley faces?NO thats too uncool now it so not 2012 right?Well thats what we 90's/00's kids got up to..You have to admit now it is different,the drugs are different(sythesized amphetamines,which makes you aggro) which i think has changed the whole scene..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

On the stabbing in the UK,i hate to say it but the music is quite good and i do have an album that said though when it comes to rap concerts and house music/tech/rave it attracts the most scummy element..
    hardly.
    head down to the Twisted Pepper or Kennedys for a house or techno night over the next few weeks and there won't be a scumbag to be seen. no stabbings or fights either, even with a lot of people "under the influence".
    for once off "superstar" pop-dance gigs, then yeah, knackers love that crap, but actual house or techno certainly don't attract scumbags, at least not any of the places that i go to see those DJs anyway.

• Advertisement

People came to a gig with knives. What is the mindset of people like that?

Signed,
    Non-Knacker who grew up in the 1990s.

Dont know but if the security was up to scratch it wouldnt be an issue would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Dont know but if the security was up to scratch it wouldnt be an issue would it?

The chances of Security doing fingertip searches of 45,000 people is going to be pretty remote in fairness - in particular with everything else that's going on. They did a lot of searches and recovered quite a few weapons but to expect them to find every little thing is asking a lot IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

If only Phoenix Park was run as strick as Hyde Park - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18865242

The chances of Security doing fingertip searches of 45,000 people is going to be pretty remote in fairness - in particular with everything else that's going on. They did a lot of searches and recovered quite a few weapons but to expect them to find every little thing is asking a lot IMO.

It was blatantly obvious that the security/arrangements werent correct. I mean who opens the gates to a concert fifteen minutes before Calvin Harris starts. Calvin is hardly an unknown support he was going to draw a big crowd. Therefore there was pushing andshoving occuring and people got in without being checked and perhaps some without tickets. Crazy and poor organisation and for that half hour period probably where the people with knives got in.

As has been discussed earlier in the thread security starts at the point of inception ie buying the ticket. If there is requirement like in glastonbury to submit a photo which is put onto the ticket and only the person in the photo can enter the gig it could be used for a database of concert goers. Cause any trouble at any event you should be blacklisted. There is such a database of football hooligans so im sure it would be lawful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I mean who opens the gates to a concert fifteen minutes before Calvin Harris starts.
    Nobody, but carry on with your rant sir
    15:00 – Gates Open
    15:30 – The Original Rudeboys
    16:15 – Calvin Harris
    17:20 – Snoop Dogg
    18:30 – Tinie Tempah
    20:00 - Swedish House Mafia

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Nobody, but carry on with your rant sir

What rant?

Got my info from here
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0714/1224320063780.html
    The first act, Calvin Harris, was due on only 15 minutes after the gates opened. This left little time for people to enter the concert area in an orderly way, and contributed to the crush at the entrance. “The queue to get in was basically pushing and barging for 30 minutes,” one fan says. “It also would have been very easy for anyone who didn’t have a ticket to get in.”
    In the ensuing melee, many fans say they weren’t checked on the way in. They say they could have brought in anything to the gig, and even entered without a ticket. But other fans say they were thoroughly checked, and that drink, when found, was confiscated.

Perhaps the above concert goer is mistaken and they could very well be. Im sure though that a concert where there was nine stabbings hardly had good security though would you not think?

By the way:
    From the garda website:
    Saturday, 7th July - Swedish House Mafia
    Gates Open at 16.00 hrs
    Calvin Harris at 16.15 hrs
    Tinie Tempah, Snoop Doog and others
    No queueing allowed before 15.00 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

By the way:
    From the garda website:

Well they're wrong. I was at the concert.(I'm not a "dreg of society")

It was initially meant to be at these times but they were changed the day of the concert I believe

Well they're wrong. I was at the concert.(I'm not a "dreg of society")

It was initially meant to be at these times but they were changed the day of the concert I believe

Fair enough thats confrimed. Must be the papers making up quotes as per usual to suit them. Still I think the security may have been lacking with the end result. What did you think of it yourself matt?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Fair enough thats confrimed. Must be the papers making up quotes as per usual to suit them. Still I think the security may have been lacking with the end result. What did you think of it yourself matt?

Security definately lacking.

I thought it was a decent concert. I enjoyed myself and honestly didn't see any fights. Plenty of people on drugs and hammered but almost no trouble. I came on here after I got home and couldn't believe what I was reading about all the trouble. Only saw 1 garda from the time I handed my ticket in to be scanned

As you can probably tell from my username, I am mainly an Indie/Alternative fan. I actually dislike dance music but I saw SHM at Oxegen and they were fantastic. Plus all my mates are into that type of music so I couldn't be left out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

You aren't going to be able to search every part of every single person. It's classic Irish syndrome going on here I fear. "It's not my fault, I didn't know I had to pay the loan back, I was bringing the knife for a "bit of craic", I love potatoes" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 silly_dancer

Commercial dance music will always draw a bit of an undesirable element.
    Look at events like lovebox and Godskitchen and so on...
    Don't get me wrong I love electronic music but the same thing has happened at a few festivals.
    And I agree, another part of it is our attitude towards drink and drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rugbyman2015

Wonder will MCD up their game for David Guetta in August?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I have no doubt they will - Smaller gig though so should be easier to control.
    Hopefully they really put the hammer down and sort out these scum for once and for all. Let them know that it's not going to be worth their while.

The Gardai have a major part to play in this, particularly outside the Park as well as at all entrances and search areas.

Fingers crossed that everyone will play their part and let decent people enjoy a decent day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

Hmm was my post deleted, or did the internet get cutt off just as i was posting it, either way im not re typing it took ages lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement