Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Concert - Swedish House Mafia *** READ POST 121 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,051 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was the concert (musically) good?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was the concert (musically) good?

missed Calvin Harris

Snoop was fun he is what he is and i really enjoyed it

Tinie Tempah was ****e imo

SHM were excellent they always do a great live set

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

To be honest there were sweet **** all 'ACTUAL' security

The most telling indicator was when I was the very back of the gig at the Heineken tent and a flare went off at the front near the stage.

Two security lads were running from miles back to get to that flare. They must have been seriously under resourced if security from so far away had to respond.

Oh and Stewards are not actual security at all. They are just there to fill the legal quota. Most of them get an hours training on the day and are not expected to break up fights.

MCD obviously decided to go cheap and didnt hire actual security instead opting for part-time college students to stand there as stewards.

Also there was f-all Garda presence either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Do you work for them or contracted as security or what's the story?

its not really relevent where i work, I have never worked secuirty.

The problem is not the promotor, its the people, the acts will draw that type of people, end of, you cant stop that, and its damn difficult to change someones ways as they enter a festival. Playing the blame game is all fun but really do you think that if they doubled security. the extra hours queing with more detailed bag checks and pat downs and increased ticket prices would have gone down well, of course they couldnt have predicted all the terrible thing to happen but the price would certainly have risen and the queues would have caused equal outrage, and probably kicked off issues outside the venue anyway

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Higher wrote: »

MCD obviously decided to go cheap and didnt hire actual security instead opting for part-time college students to stand there as stewards.

sterwards are never at any festival there as security, they are for information and directions, part time work always, they are sperate from security and didnt 'fill the quota'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

The problem is not the promotor, its the people, the acts will draw that type of people, end of, you cant stop that, and its damn difficult to change someones ways as they enter a festival. Playing the blame game is all fun but really do you think that if they doubled security. the extra hours queing with more detailed bag checks and pat downs and increased ticket prices would have gone down well, of course they couldnt have predicted all the terrible thing to happen but the price would certainly have risen and the queues would have caused equal outrage, and probably kicked off issues outside the venue anyway

well i disagree with that. I think it is relevant, depending on where you work obviously. You just seem to be one of very few defending the promoter and I can't remember exactly what u said but a few pages back you said you were working at the gig or something...

I think that's nonsense to be honest. So you're saying "just let them at it, its not MCD's problem" ???? Madness.

You won't educate the young folk any time soon about their over-indulgences, that's for other people to do.

So in the absence of the young folk miraculously acquiring an ability to moderate the drink/drugs intake, you have to do your best to protect them by being strict about entry, searches and conduct inside the event. Especially if you have an idea what its going to be like.

Everybody knows a lot of these guys are just brought in for the numbers. MCD are not about customer welfare and they've got it wrong on manys an occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

The promotor has a responsibility to run the event safely. MCD have a reputation for doing things on the cheap and have had for years. Some of their statements about these gigs were laughable in the extreme and in some instances were blatant lies (eg) "Parkgate Street Entrance of the Phoenix Park approx. 15 minutes walk to the concert site" which was on their mails last weekdespite it being a minimum of 3 times that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I was at this one.
    Are you employed by MCD?

...ideally in hindsight twice that would have probably not been enough
    But that's the thing, you didn't need hindsight, anybody could've told you that there'd be trouble at this one. The organisers just dropped the ball.

...how many secuirty do you think would be required to satisfy you that the gig would be well policed?
    I don't know, and it's not my job to know either, but at a guess I would imagine at the very least there should be enough to 1) stop the amount of fights that had broken out, and 2) to ensure that the majority of people that were there to have a good time felt safe.

MCD had the legal amount required, and then went over than in the interest of public safety, if you dont think thats enough, I'm not really sure what will?
    That's such a BS statement as the "required amount" +1 is technically over the required amount. But that said, maybe the authorities need to review what the required amount is for future events, and surely they need to review it on a case by case basis rather than say that every gig that has 50K needs exactly 500 security guards.

Unfortunatly, Ireland has a large element at festivals, thats nothing short of scum, I have never been to a festival in any other country in the world that come close to the beahiour at Irish ones, its not MCD/Security or the police's fault.
    That depends on the type of festival tbh, and every other country has undesirables too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Big Game wrote: »
    "Parkgate Street Entrance of the Phoenix Park approx. 15 minutes walk to the concert site" which was on their mails last weekdespite it being a minimum of 3 times that.

Crazy. I got a taxi as far as it would take me into the park and it was more than 15 minutes from there to the concert entrance.

IF MCD said "40 minute walk from Parkgate St gates" people would've been (rightly) asking for shuttle buses. MCD lied to us instead as its cheaper for them to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

First, I wasnt at the gig...but who in their right mind thought 50k people at a SHM gig was a good idea in the Hpoenix Park. As soon as I heard the lineup, I knew there would be trouble. I listen to a lot of dance music but there is no way in christ would I go to a SHM gig..and most definitely not in the Phoenix Park with Snoop, Tinie Tempah and Calvin Harris as the rest of the lineup. It was bound to attract large swathes of scobies.
    SHM are not real dance music, they are generic pop Euro trance crap and that tends to attract that scummy crowd in fairly large numbers. It has its "normal" fans as well but the reality is that type of dance music attracts the scum. Sad but true. Putting 50k people in a field in Dublin for that gig was bound to end in tears imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Half the problem with MCD is, they know that even if they do a s*it job they dont have much competition.
    I was at the gig on thursday. When i was going in through security, the guys at the gate must have got freaked by the size of the crowd coming at them because they basically just let who was in front of them through. After getting in about 10 feet from the gate a guy took 4 glass bottles of heineken out of his wellies !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ChrisOtter

hi my cousin has been missing since the gig please spread the word, we need people to see her picture and hopefully help us find her.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0709/missing-aoife-finan.html

You never seen the amount of scallies or wanabee gansters that go to certain English festivals?

leeds fest maybe, but its very young and mostly drunkeness. uk festivals as a whole are problem free, big chill, glasto, reading, download ,sonisphere, all mild mannered affairs with little trouble, yet every single oxegen has been a war zone and electric picnic has lost its boutique element over last few years and is decending into similar

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

The problem is not the promotor, its the people, the acts will draw that type of people, end of, you cant stop that, and its damn difficult to change someones ways as they enter a festival.

The Line-Up is down to the promoter.

Anyone with half a brain would have known beforehand that there was the potential for trouble at this.

I'm not saying that these acts shouldn't be playing in Ireland but putting them all together, on a Saturday, in pretty-much Dublin City Centre was madness. I actually remember seeing a poster for this a few months ago and thinking 'bad idea' so you'd have to wonder what the promoters where thinking.

One thing that contributed that they couldn't have controlled, was the weather - It a hot sunny day, and this had people out in force earlier than they probably would have been normally

The Nal wrote: »
    Crazy. I got a taxi as far as it would take me into the park and it was more than 15 minutes from there to the concert entrance.

IF MCD said "40 minute walk from Parkgate St gates" people would've been (rightly) asking for shuttle buses. MCD lied to us instead as its cheaper for them to do so.

Totally. Or else everyone would have gone up to the Ashtown gate. I can understand them not wanting everyone to use the one gate but issuing a statement saying both gates were the same walk from the site was farcical. That sort of BS isn't on but they've always been like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

ChrisOtter wrote: »
    hi my cousin has been missing since the gig please spread the word, we need people to see her picture and hopefully help us find her.

Hope Aoife is found safe and well. Must be a horrible time for her friends and family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Motorist wrote: »
    With this level of anger and emotion amongst dance fans, I see why 9 people were stabbed on Sat night and why so many others had to use amphetamines in attempt to escape from their pathetic existences.

good man. you could have held out a bit longer before you announced yourself as a troll. A useless troll as well...you didn't rattle anyone dude.

speaking of pathetic existences, having a glance over all the threads you've started, you are definitely one person I do not want to know anything more about.

Likewise, but please try to stick to the topic at hand instead of going off on rants about trolls when someone has different music tastes. My thread history is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bagoftaytos

O'Doodle wrote: »
    I have explored these genres and I simply find them repetitive and boring, period. Anyone can create the majority of dance music on their 200 quid Aldi laptop, and I have done.

And anyone can create rock songs on a €79 guitar from Argos. Stupid point there boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Hope she is found safe and sound.

Mods, could this be stickied here aswell as AH?

leeds fest maybe, but its very young and mostly drunkeness. uk festivals as a whole are problem free, big chill, glasto, reading, download ,sonisphere, all mild mannered affairs with little trouble, yet every single oxegen has been a war zone and electric picnic has lost its boutique element over last few years and is decending into similar

I'll give you Oxegen but that's simply not true about the Picnic, there's no comparison. If anything it's been quieter the last few years than it was in 2008 which was the maddest I ever saw it. Even then it was nothing compared to what was going on at Oxegen. I'd be worried about it this year given the lack of Oxegen if you'll excuse the pun.

There's been plenty of incidents at Reading over the years. Even the Notting Hill carnival reached a nadir before there was a sea change in it's organisation. It's generally dependent on the line up and that was the case again on Saturday. Had that gig not been on there'd have been 2 big concerts in the park with no arrests and no story. As the promotor puts on the line up to turn a profit it's up to him to ensure that the security is appropraite, a one size fits all approach based on crowd numbers doesn't work.

• Advertisement

I'll give you Oxegen but that's simply not true about the Picnic, there's no comparison. If anything it's been quieter the last few years than it was in 2008 which was the maddest I ever saw it. Even then it was nothing compared to what was going on at Oxegen. I'd be worried about it this year given the lack of Oxegen if you'll excuse the pun.

well ep has been steadily going downhill imo, some dodgy stuff gone down last 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 85,051 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope she is found safe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

I didnt see many security .And most we're alone so could do nothing if anything broke out..needed to be patrolling in groups

I really hope she's found safe and well, this is a very difficult time for her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

It's quite interesting reading through this thread seeing how different people seemed to enjoy/despise the night. 1st of all I'm quite shocked to find out about the stabbings today was actually the 1st I heard of this.

The following is just my 2 cents on the whole thing, remember it's just my opinion, I'm not saying I'm right/wrong on any of it so don't get your knickers in a twist if you don't agree.

Stabbings
    The stabbings are a huge shock to me, I simply can't comprehend why a person even brings a knife to a festival, you must live a pretty sad life to want to pay money into a festival only just so you can cause harm to another human being.

I had a close encounter myself at Oxegen 2010 with a guy and a knife in the car park while I was on my own(stupid Idea, I know) but he thankfully only cut my wristband off, It's a terrifying experience to say the least and gladly it was sorted by the security after I reported it their van was removed from the car park/venue by the Gradai.

To be honest I can't believe they got in with the knife, I was patted down twice and there were bag checks also, The only way to prevent these sort of weapons getting in would be to have some airport style security at the entrance, but obviously that would be a bit much for a concert and even then if someone is gonna be anti-social then they will find a way no matter what.
    Overdoses
    I hate to say it but the news was kind of expected it seems to come hand in hand with festivals and more so with those whose line up is mainly based on electronic music, In a perfect society people wouldn't need to use any sort of substance to enhance their experience at these events and when I say that I don't just mean the harder substances such as Cocaine, Ecstasy, Ket etc. this also goes for Alcohol which after all is a "regulated" drug in itself, It's fine in the correct doses but sadly people will always push their limit and end up in a heap.

Personally when I attend these sort of events I expect to bump into people out of their minds on god knows what sort of cocktail or drugs/alcohol, It's part of the culture and everyone has a choice to avoid it.

I've never been the type to need a drink at a music event, I don't need it to enjoy the night in fact I had been drinking water all day for the SHM and Florence/Snow Patrol gigs.
    Security/Gardai Presence
    My experience with the security and Gardai presence seems to differ quite a lot from the other posts I've read, But then again I was in the pit for most of the night and I arrived pretty early so I'm gonna say that played a major factor. But from what I seen on the way in they seemed to have their stuff together and organization seemed to have been on the ball so to speak, I think all in all they can only do so much to try prevent anti-social behavior with a crowd of 45,000..
    The Phoenix Park
    Inside the actual event it was fine despite the mud but the weather from the previous week seemed to have contributed a lot to this or so I'm told. as for the location inside the park it sucked especially if you were walking, I think this is the only point where I'd criticize MCD on, A shuttle bus if only out to the Phoenix park entrance would have helped but time, but then again I can't imagine the chaos of a crowd that large all trying to get on the buses.
    The Concert
    • The Original Rude Boys - I had no clue who these were but the crowd seemed to enjoy them, I caught the end of their set on the way in.
    • Calvin Harris - Calvin Harris was a bit of a disappointment for me because I thought he was gonna be live as opposed to doing DJ set but in reality given that he had his gig at T In The Park later that evening part of me knew it was just gonna be a DJ set. Despite all he definitely got the crowd warmed up.
    • Snoop Dogg - I think this was on the only one where I thought the sound was a little off, They needed to turn his mic up a few db, However I still enjoyed seeing him live, The crowd were loving "Young, Wild & Free" at the end.
    • Tinie Tempah - I had myself built up for Tinie Tempah I've wanted to see him live for some time now but didn't have the opportunity. Loved every part of it although I found his intro a little on the dry side so to speak.
    • Swedish House Mafia - What can I say! no words can describe how awesome of a set they played, The lasers and fireworks on stage were awesome not forgetting the confetti cannons at the end which were awesome! Iceing on the cake so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

I’m a 33 year old female and I love music. I like lots of different types and really enjoy live outdoor gigs. I’ve been to lots over the years, from Homelands, Eminem & many years of Witnness/Oxygen.
    I have also been to Faithless gigs, Groove Armada, U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Oasis, etc. As well as a music festival in Sydney. No matter the genre, there’s always drunk messy people. It’s the nature of the beast.

As someone mentioned, electronic/dance music always attracts a larger amount of drug takers. I myself don’t do drugs and while I enjoy a few drinks, I don’t like to get wasted. At most outdoor gigs I just enjoy the music and atmosphere and would only have a few drinks (half the time it’s too much hard work to get drinks and too uncomfortable to drink them in the large crowd).

I was at the Snow Patrol gig last night and would have given my right arm to go to SHM on Saturday, but I couldn’t afford it. :( I think people can and will blame the promoters, gardai, drink, society, social class etc… but at the end of the day, the stabbings were the work of 1 individual (that we know of so far). It’s disgusting that someone would bring a knife to something like this with them but it’s probably a situation of it just being second nature to have a weapon on him. His behaviour is shocking and I am glad that he was caught. I hope he gets a suitable punishment and would hope that he serves some time.

I think it’s a shame that people can be so narrow minded about music genres, crowds, social classes. There were a few friends of mine at the gig on Saturday night and none of them could in any way shape or form be put into the “scumbag” category that so many people here have labelled them.
    It’s a shame that the minority of attendees at this event have been the ones that have made the biggest impact. I think the stabbings should be treated as an isolated event, not the norm behaviour for all attendees.

My sympathies to the stabbing victims, I can’t even imagine what that’s like and my thoughts are with the families of the overdose victims. They took an educated risk, but those families are left torn apart now. (one of the overdose deaths was my friend’s cousin). I hope that girl from Cork shows up in good health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Missing Girl has been found safe and well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Missing Girl has been found safe and well :)

f0d3749c9a566fbc35a064a8e685ec0a.png?1341856864

:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Delighted that girl was found safe and sound.

I've deleted alot of pissy comments and would ask that if you think someone is on a wind up just to report the posts and not engage with them.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    I've deleted alot of pissy comments and would ask that if you think someone is on a wind up just to report the posts and not engage with them.

Thanks.
    [/B]

Thanks Mammy.

Advertisement