Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Concert - Swedish House Mafia *** READ POST 121 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bagoftaytos

MissTBear wrote: »
    I'd imagine it was down to the direction of the wind. I couldn't think straight the noise was that bad at times - I could hear every word. It would be no loss to not have these big events in Dublin if it means noise, anti social behaviour etc

I would complain about the noise/stabbings/boorish behaviour to the OPW or whatever, but then I'd just be shooting (or stabbing) myself in the foot when it came to gigs I want to go to. Saw the Pixies there and it was great, wouldn't want to spoil possible future gigs by whinging about this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Disagree - well, mostly. The trouble here is as much down to where people come from as it is their 'relationship' with alcohol/drugs - most people can handle a drink, and most people can get drunk without resorting to violence, whether or not you apporove of them being drunk in the first place. Generalisations are not always wrong - for example, you tend to get a certain demographic at a Rugby match, and you tend to get a certain demographic at a commercial dance gig. It's not snobbery, or anything else, it's just a fact.

Anyone who doesn't think that we have an issue with anti-social behaviour (particularly in Dublin) is deluded, and anyone who doesn't think that the majority of this trouble occurs within the bottom end of the so-called 'classes', is as much deluded.

It's just a fact, the most marginalised of society (be it fairly or unfairly) tend to always have an axe to grind, and this is always exageratted when drink and drugs get added to the mix

But putting the blame on alcohol solely is missing the point - yes, drink gets people drunk - but the problem always starts with the person.

People going around starting fights, stabbing people and thrashing the place do not deserve excuses, and by giving them the 'drink made me do it' get out of jail card, we'll never fix this problem.

Have you ever heard the expression "you can dress them up but you can't take them out"???? Where some one comes from does not matter, we have just as many idiots out where I am as an "inner city " block of flats. the common denominator of the cause of their idiocy is booze... when I worked in bars years ago someone once said to me this " there are two types of people in this country ....."those who drink and those who drink but shouldn't" he was pissed as a fart at the time and even so his words stuck with me for the truth in them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

One person was stabbed 4 times, in the back and the kidneys and is in critical condition in hospital. Absolutely disgusting creatures in this country. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lc180

Paully D wrote: »
    I'm going off memory here, but it was something like this (in no particular order):

I Wanna Rock
    Gin and Juice
    What's My Name?
    California Girls
    Sensual Seduction
    Beautiful
    Jump Around
    Drop It Like It's Hot
    PIMP
    I Wanna Fuck You
    The Next Episode
    Sweat
    Tha Shiznit
    Young, Wild and Free

Did he play 'Signs'?

Wasn't at it but was at the bus stop in Kilmainham but could swear I heard that song

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Avox wrote: »
    Wonder if this will effect the David Guetta concert...
    i'd imagine there will be a strong police presence, but don't know if they'll really be able to do much inside the gig.
    same knackery pop-dance music, so i'd guess there'll be a very similar crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

I went on saturday - Brought my 18 yr old sister as her friend let her down. Ive been to a good few gigs and festivals - mainly European ones but Fcking hell I've actually never seen anything so bad in all the gigs i've been to. Think I seen like 2 guards within the grounds, only security I seen was standing at the gates and at the bar - Protect the profits right MCD.

Just walking into the park on Sat afternoon you could tell it was gonna be messy, 2 lads absolutely smashed laying out on the ground - just past the first roundabout with 2 guards just standing there looking at them - I kid you not. It just got worse as we moved towards the gig. When we got in at 5pm, she mainly wanted to see Tinnie Tempah and SHM.
    Within about 2 mins of us walking past security, there was a fight of bout 8 fellas. Managed to get a drink and move up the crowd but it just got more & more bad. Scary would be the best word to use. We walked out just as SHM were starting, my sis was actually terrified and wanted to leave.

It was my lil sisters first festival type ish event and she was looking forward to it and now she's told me that she won't be bothering going to anything like that. I'm just glad it was me with her and not her friend (who wouldnt be the most streetsmart girl).

I just hope now that all the scum steer clear of Electric picnic.. Am really looking forward to that!..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

inevitable outcome, cant blame the promotors, wasnt their fault, security was tight as can be, large security presence, you cant prevent scum being scum sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

inevitable outcome, cant blame the promotors, wasnt their fault, security was tight as can be, large security presence, you cant prevent scum being scum sadly

:confused:

Agree about the scum though. Animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

inevitable outcome, cant blame the promotors, wasnt their fault, security was tight as can be, large security presence,
    Really? Were you at the gig? Al the reports are saying that security was lax. The video of the lads bating the sh1te out of each would suggest that there wasn't enough security.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Naid23 wrote: »
    I went on saturday - Brought my 18 yr old sister as her friend let her down. Ive been to a good few gigs and festivals - mainly European ones but Fcking hell I've actually never seen anything so bad in all the gigs i've been to. Think I seen like 2 guards within the grounds, only security I seen was standing at the gates and at the bar - Protect the profits right MCD.

Just walking into the park on Sat afternoon you could tell it was gonna be messy, 2 lads absolutely smashed laying out on the ground - just past the first roundabout with 2 guards just standing there looking at them - I kid you not. It just got worse as we moved towards the gig. When we got in at 5pm, she mainly wanted to see Tinnie Tempah and SHM.
    Within about 2 mins of us walking past security, there was a fight of bout 8 fellas. Managed to get a drink and move up the crowd but it just got more & more bad. Scary would be the best word to use. We walked out just as SHM were starting, my sis was actually terrified and wanted to leave.

It was my lil sisters first festival type ish event and she was looking forward to it and now she's told me that she won't be bothering going to anything like that. I'm just glad it was me with her and not her friend (who wouldnt be the most streetsmart girl).

I just hope now that all the scum steer clear of Electric picnic.. Am really looking forward to that!..

That's a sad tale indeed.

I think Oxegen would have been swamped with d**kheads again if it had taken place this year, the Phoenix Park gigs were the next best thing and they all descended on them it seems. I don't know what the answer is or why we get so many unsavoury incidents happening.

For all those saying how different the Roses gig was, it was an older crowd granted but I still saw some very messy people and incidents on the way to the gig, let alone inside it.

It's all already been said about the organisation problems so I'm not going to go back over what's been well documented.
    One thing which really annoyed me though perhaps a trivial matter to some but there wasn't nearly enough rubbish bins provided from parkgate street up. Then again when you have people who are only too willing to throw their empty cans and bottles over their shoulders literally anywhere then maybe an abundance of bins wouldn't make any difference, that's one thing we seem to certainly excel at, making a disgraceful mess whenever there's a big event. The park must be in some state after it.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

calex71 wrote: »
    Have you ever heard the expression "you can dress them up but you can't take them out"???? Where some one comes from does not matter, we have just as many idiots out where I am as an "inner city " block of flats. the common denominator of the cause of their idiocy is booze... when I worked in bars years ago someone once said to me this " there are two types of people in this country ....."those who drink and those who drink but shouldn't" he was pissed as a fart at the time and even so his words stuck with me for the truth in them :D

That's not actually true though mate, is it? I live off NCR between Drumcondra and Summerhill, closer to the Summerhill end of it. Like it or not, there's a huge difference in the amount of antisocial behaviour in the space of less then a kilometere. Twice I've been hopped on in Summerhill by scumbags in their teens trying to grab my iphone when I've been texting, there'a illegal dumping of rubbish bags everywhere, there's far more knacker drinking and far more kids hanging around looking for trouble. There's nowhere near the same amount of that carry on when you get past the Hogan Stand end of Croke Park and over the canal. Don't get me wrong, there's a huge amount of decent folk live around the area as well but it's plain wrong to say that there isn't a larger element of trouble makers in and around inner city or what would be considered rougher areas, you can blame societal issues but that doesn't change the facts.

As soon as that line up was announced I knew that gig was be trouble, never expected it to be as bad as it turned out though, Joe Duffy will be rubbing his hands, there was people giving out about the Rosees on his show in Friday despite ther being zero arrests so he'll have a field day today.

panama wrote: »
    That's a sad tale indeed.

I think Oxegen would have been swamped with d**kheads again if it had taken place this year, the Phoenix Park gigs were the next best thing and they all descended on them it seems. I don't know what the answer is or why we get so many unsavoury incidents happening.

For all those saying how different the Roses gig was, it was an older crowd granted but I still saw some very messy people and incidents on the way to the gig, let alone inside it.

It's all already been said about the organisation problems so I'm not going to go back over what's been well documented.
    One thing which really annoyed me though perhaps a trivial matter to some but there wasn't nearly enough rubbish bins provided from parkgate street up. Then again when you have people who are only too willing to throw their empty cans and bottles over their shoulders literally anywhere then maybe an abundance of bins wouldn't make any difference, that's one thing we seem to certainly excel at, making a disgraceful mess whenever there's a big event. The park must be in some state after it.:mad:

Yeah even the difference at yesterdays gig, much better atmosphere and as for the litter, i definately agree but it is sorta of down to the crowd - Place was destroyed on saturday and on sunday it wasnt bad at all. Walked by a big bin and most people i seen walking by it had something to throw in rather then dropping it on the ground.
    Can stand people that do that just cos they can at a gig!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

panama wrote: »
    One thing which really annoyed me though perhaps a trivial matter to some but there wasn't nearly enough rubbish bins provided from parkgate street up.

Not a trivial matter at all. Had the same conversation with a mate. Disgraceful really. I don't really blame the punters as there weren't adequate bins provided.

Having been to Glastonbury a number of times and having seen how it can work, its very poor on the organisers part. Such an easy thing to do. Helps with the atmosphere of the crowd too. Togetherness, sense of responsibility etc. Sounds like hippy bull**** but its true.

Just out of curiousity, Any one heard of a new drug called 'Ghost tablets'?? Got offered these like 6 times on saturday - not my thing so i politely declined but just wondering what exactly it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just out of curiousity, Any one heard of a new drug called 'Ghost tablets'?? Got offered these like 6 times on saturday - not my thing so i politely declined but just wondering what exactly it is.

If they are whats responsible for at least one and as many as the unconfirmed three overdose deaths, then the name is fairly self-explanatory

Larbre34 wrote: »
    If they are whats responsible for at least one and as many as the unconfirmed three overdose deaths, then the name is fairly self-explanatory

Yeah this is true, just wondering if they were like a form of Ectasy. - Dangerous all the same!.. dont think any sorta 'Buzz' is worth the risk of dying.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

i will not comment

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Really? Were you at the gig? Al the reports are saying that security was lax. The video of the lads bating the sh1te out of each would suggest that there wasn't enough security.

yes i was and i have worked almost every gig over 10k in ireland over the last 10 years

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

BaZmO* wrote: »

I wouldnt go so far to say security was lax, at one point there was over 250 people without tickets trying to jump the fence, security had to handle that, and everywhere I looked there was Gards and security

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

yes i was and i have worked almost every gig over 10k in ireland over the last 10 years
    And you worked at this one?

When you say that "security was tight as can be, large security presence" I take you mean compared to what's required by law rather than what would've been actually needed for a gig that was inevitably going to attract a certain type.

vader65 wrote: »
    I wouldnt go so far to say security was lax, at one point there was over 250 people without tickets trying to jump the fence, security had to handle that, and everywhere I looked there was Gards and security
    I'm just going by the reports and the videos posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sarabroderick

Thats not a popular opinion on here. You need to try blame the lack of security and the people who run the gig, this cleverly avoids the need to look at the real cause which is a massive drink problem in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Saying security was lax gives the impression that they were all lazing out in the sun not giving a crap. I'd say they were just overwhelmed and couldnt cope with the level of trouble. Although there was adequate numbers to meet the legal requirement for a gathering this size, the organisers didn't take the likely clientele into consideration enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Thats not a popular opinion on here. You need to try blame the lack of security and the people who run the gig, this cleverly avoids the need to look at the real cause which is a massive drink problem in this country

Alcohol can't be blamed for everything. There's been countless other major events in this country both in Dublin and elsewhere with crowds of this magnitude where alcohol was widely available which have passed off without a hitch.

Forbidden Fruit was run quite successfully again this year and there were no arrests afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sarabroderick

clearly were not there if you are saying that, if you were you are blind

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

I think the real Blame here is with the so called people who were able to sneak Knives ect past security and went round randomly stabbing innocent people who paid to watch a concert and have a good time... Those are the people who are to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

I'm not against having concerts in the park because in London they can manage events like Hard Rock Calling and just yesterday the Wireless festival in Hyde Park. But in Dublin, a concert in the park turns into an absolute knacker fest.

In my opinion if other cities and countries can host similar concerts (with similar acts) without stabbing and deaths then in my opinion MCD and the authorities are completely at fault for not ensuring public safety at this concert.

I'd love to know how many police officers were tasked to this concert, I'd love to know how many marshals and contract security were employed at this concert and then compare to similar concerts (Wireless festival, Hard Rock Calling, T in the Park etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Moeman

thefly wrote: »
    Jaysus, you sound like such an aul wan
    Sorry but I'm with Sockmo on this one.

If people want to act like idiots at the event that's fair enough but why should members of the public be subjected to obnoxious loud drugged up and drunken louts in the city centre in the middle of the afternoon?

I was in Dublin that afternoon with my 7 month old daughter and the queue for the Luas at Connolly was mobbed with loud drunken idiots. People should have a bit of cop on acting like this there are kids around.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

O'Doodle wrote: »
    I'm not against having concerts in the park because in London they can manage events like Hard Rock Calling and just yesterday the Wireless festival in Hyde Park. But in Dublin, a concert in the park turns into an absolute knacker fest.

In my opinion if other cities and countries can host similar concerts (with similar acts) without stabbing and deaths then in my opinion MCD and the authorities are completely at fault for not ensuring public safety at this concert.

I'd love to know how many police officers were tasked to this concert, I'd love to know how many marshals and contract security were employed at this concert and then compare to similar concerts (Wireless festival, Hard Rock Calling, T in the Park etc).

It doesn't though. It wasn't a knacker fest on Thursday or, from what I've heard, last night. Forbidden Fruit wasn't either. I've been at plenty of gigs in Marley Park or Malahide Castle that weren't either. Put a successful commercial dance or big hip hop act on though and you'll get a knacker fest. Sad fact of life. You won't get that sort of crowd at an underfround dance or hip hop night either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

SHM make the type of music that scumbags love, so no surprise that they behave like scumbags. not really sure what else there is to it tbh.
    if you put Tiesto on in Punchestown on saturday there'd be just as much likelihood of something like this happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 F.O.T.N.M.C.

Hi All

Just a few things about the noise....

Sound propagation in open concerts like this is effected massively by wind due to the refraction of sound waves. As a result you can get a shadow zone (i.e. lower levels) directly upwind of the source and an area of increased levels downwind (up to 20dB sometimes).

Depending on wind conditions on the evening, the reports of noise from Tallaght etc and low levels right next to the gig are entirely possible regardless of stage orientation and are not BS as one poster says.

Noise complaints should be sent to either the planning or environment sections of Dublin City Council as they essentially licence and enforce the gig. In writing would be better. The OPW and Guards have nothing to do with it.

http://www.dublincity.ie/WaterWasteEnvironment/AirQualityMonitoringandNoiseControl/Pages/AirQualityandNoiseControl.aspx

Advertisement