Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a bit common to have Irish flags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I loves me flags i does

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭newport2

Peetrik wrote: »
    Pride in the national flag should be very common amongst Irish people.

That aside, it's interesting how the people being asked to bear the brunt of sacrifice/austerity are perceived as having more pride in the national flag, as opposed to the more affluent members of our fine country who seem to distain or consider it "common as muck" to display the national flag.

No real point to make, just find it interesting is all.

Just because covering your house/car/self in Irish flags doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean you disdain it or consider it common as muck. My neighbours know I'm Irish and support Ireland, I don't see the need to advertise it. If the Irish team could see my house from the pitch then maybe I would do it to show them my support, but they can't. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't like when people write on the flag, I think its disrespectful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Pride in the national flag should be very common amongst Irish people.

That aside, it's interesting how the people being asked to bear the brunt of sacrifice/austerity are perceived as having more pride in the national flag, as opposed to the more affluent members of our fine country who seem to distain or consider it "common as muck" to display the national flag.

No real point to make, just find it interesting is all.
    Oddly enough, it's plainly the middle-income earners who are bearing the greatest brunt of austerity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Oddly enough, it's plainly the middle-income earners who are bearing the greatest brunt of austerity.

Yep, thats who I'm talking about, middle income earners (10-20e ph) that make up roughly 50% of our workforce if some reports are to be believed, or the common working man to put it another way.

Again no real point to make, just thought it was interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Yep, thats who I'm talking about, middle income earners (10-20e ph) that make up roughly 50% of our workforce if some reports are to be believed, or the common working man to put it another way.

Again no real point to make, just thought it was interesting.
    On the other hand, Celtic Bubble luminaries/tax&pension cheats Seanie Fitz and Mick Wallace seemed happy enough to try wrapping themselves in the Irish flag too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Ditto using it to wrap yourself in, unless you're deceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Show Time wrote: »
    Tri-colour(Green white and gold) out my bedroom window and the Southern Cross flag hanging from my study room in honour of the Cork footballers winning yesterday. For some strange reason the only neighbours of mine who seem any bit upset are the black lads over the road but as they are only renting their views mean nothing to me.

I think I walked by your place, are you in glasheen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Meh I don't think the flag being flown in certain places more than others has to do with class but whether people feel like putting it up! My family didn't put one up but my brother and father are still interested in how Ireland does. I'm not into football so I don't care but I think places being covered in flags looks tacky (but that's just my opinion). I always thought the fact every house in America has a flag outside its door and almost on every building showed a lack of respect for the flag. Not to mention that the Americans loyalty 'to the flag' creeps me out. :p I mean they recite the pledge of alliance every day before class! I think it shows respect when it is only used on special occasions and tastefully. Also I always refer to the flag as green, white and gold, but only really thought about it now!:p Green, white and orange doesn't sound right to me even though that's the flags actual colours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

I agree to an extent. I wouldn't have an issue with tricolours been hung with Irish football teams names, whether its Fanad United from the Donegal Senior League or Cork City, Shamrock Rovers etc from the Airtricity League.

But when you see ****e like 'flick your bean etc' and 'any chance of a ride' printed on our national flag, it degrades it.

Most Europeans wouldn't dream of doing it, based on non Irish people I spoke to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

On the other hand, Celtic Bubble luminaries/tax&pension cheats Seanie Fitz and Mick Wallace seemed happy enough to try wrapping themselves in the Irish flag too.

Mick Wallace didn't go to Poland.....Seanie Fitz decided to stay in a €550 a night room in Poznan while supporting the country he helped ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I'm actually getting more and more angry reading this fucking thread. So what if people want to fly the tricolour, it's not that often Ireland qualify for a major tournament. Yes, jump on the bandwagon, support your country, have a little bit of pride for the time that's in it. Anyone who says it's common as muck or only knackers that do it or that it's some how racist or un-PC is a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Eathrin wrote: »
    Even in my housing estate, the houses in the higher class area are bare while the "lower class" housing are covered in flags.

It's the same at Christmas and Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

benwavner wrote: »
    It shouldnt be but probably is.

I know myself if I painted my house in the tricolour, the "residents association" would have something to say about it. :(

Who's that? Your missus? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

El Siglo wrote: »
    I'm actually getting more and more angry reading this fucking thread. So what if people want to fly the tricolour, it's not that often Ireland qualify for a major tournament.

I just don't really see why people should develop a great sense of patriotism purely because of a soccer tournament. Why not feel proud of your country any other day of the week? I can't help but feel it's a bit put on by a lot of people. Those of whom genuinely follow soccer I've no qualms about.

But it's the sort that use it as an excuse to drink more than they can handle and cause arguments that bother me.

Ask any girl that walks past with a little flag on her face and the hat, the mini skirt and all the trimmings, what the fúck the offside rule is, and I bet you she'll giggle it off and you'd be holding her hair up while she pukes at the end of the night.

I've things to be proud of my country for, some not so much. But I won't let on like I give a fúck every euro / world cup.

I don't mean any disrespect to you personally, I know you feel strongly about it, but so do I - in another sense.

Abi wrote: »
    I just don't really see why people should develop a great sense of patriotism purely because of a soccer tournament. Why not feel proud of your country any other day of the week? I can't help but feel it's a bit put on by a lot of people. Those of whom genuinely follow soccer I've no qualms about.

But it's the sort that use it as an excuse to drink more than they can handle and cause arguments that bother me.

Ask any girl that walks past with a little flag on her face and the hat, the mini skirt and all the trimmings, what the fúck the offside rule is, and I bet you she'll giggle it off and you'd be holding her hair up while she pukes at the end of the night.

I've things to be proud of my country for, some not so much. But I won't let on like I give a fúck every euro / world cup.

I don't mean any disrespect to you personally, I know you feel strongly about it, but so do I - in another sense.

Ah, come on. People are enjoying acting like kids for a few weeks. Who cares if they don't know the rules - it's about having a laugh and a smile in a wretched economic climate. In the grand scheme of things football's not very important... not important at all, in fact. Let them dye their hair green if they like, paint their houses, stick shamrocks up their ar$es... It's not hurting anyone and it'll all be over soon anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Ah, come on. People are enjoying acting like kids for a few weeks. Who cares if they don't know the rules - it's about having a laugh and a smile in a wretched economic climate. In the grand scheme of things football's not very important... not important at all, in fact. Let them dye their hair green if they like, paint their houses, stick shamrocks up their ar$es... It's not hurting anyone and it'll all be over soon anyway.

I did say much earlier in the thread, each to their own. It's just how I see things. I'm happy you're enjoying it.

I did say much earlier in the thread, each to their own. It's just how I see things. I'm happy you're enjoying it.

Fair enough. I'm not especially enjoying it at all. It's not my thing but - like you - think "do whatever makes you happy".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Because every other day of the week is dominated by; the dole, emigration, the troika, austerity measures, unemployment and z-list celebrities on the Late Late. For a country of less-than five million people, where soccer isn't even the most popular sport, and then see them partaking in a tournament which most of us don't actually remember the last time, it's an achievement worth celebrating. The British had the Queen's jubilee, flags and bunting everywhere and rightly so. We have something of an actual achievement, participation in one of the hardest and most competitive international tournaments in the world.

Same thing could be said of any mass entertainment event, sure remember Stephen Cluxton's; "See you all in Coppers" remark after winning the All Ireland?

Can't say I disagree with you there, but I've seen much the same of any Leinster female supporter, dolled up to the nines going into Lansdowne Rd, what would such a supporter know of a ruck and a mall?

Each to their own. I just like seeing other Irish people doing well at something, albeit the Euros or the Olympics.

Oh far from disrespecting me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

+1 Its not illegal, which is how Guinness got away with it a few years back, but its is extremely disrespectful and against the protocol on the national flag.

The flag should also only be flown between sun up and sun down and should never be draped on cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

A house near me has the flag of the vatican city up in the window. Celebrating the eucharistic congress I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

borzaboy wrote: »
    The people in blackrock should start showing a bit of support for there country!

They're barely Irish. West Brittery is rife in those parts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

face1990 wrote: »
    A house near me has the flag of the vatican city up in the window. Celebrating the eucharistic congress I suppose?
    always wanted one of them flags, i wouldnt be religious at all, just like the look of it,

im sure it'd feel right at home with my munster flag and the ferrari/ formula 1 flag i have

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

benwavner wrote: »
    Orange in council estates and gold in posh areas!

its dutch gold or ORANGEeboom

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Its funny how one post can make you dislike a poster forevermore when beforehand you really did not mind their other posts :)

Buntings and the 'common' tri colour all the way :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

In most civilised MULTI CULTURAL countries like the UK for example, if someone for instances from Ghana or Poland were to erect a flag to celebrate their team playing etc., this would be seen as run of the mill and accepted.

Unfortunately in our supposed multi cultural country the said nationals daren't even think about it for fear of back lashes, bricks through their windows etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Chinasea wrote: »
    In most civilised MULTI CULTURAL countries like the UK for example, if someone for instances from Ghana or Poland were to erect a flag to celebrate their team playing etc., this would be seen as run of the mill and accepted.

Unfortunately in our supposed multi cultural country the said nationals daren't even think about it for fear of back lashes, bricks through their windows etc.

?????? I've seen a few Polish flags about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Down the road from me there are 2 houses with Spanish & Irish flags out :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Any English flags around though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Chinasea wrote: »

I've a dutch heritage, and i'm flying the Dutch and Irish flags side by side.

And i do this in a deeply rascist, culchie, **** your cousins type of area.

No problem yet.

Advertisement