Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBR Challenge 2012 & training log links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I would like to make a complaint about the glaring omission from the opening post of this thread. Thank you...

I put that request in already this morning ;) Along with EC1000's and Catweazle's new log and indeed jackybacks funky new log title.

Give Raycun a chance, he is hard working Mod to be fair :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I put that request in already this morning ;) Along with EC1000's and Catweazle's new log and indeed jackybacks funky new log title.

Give Raycun a chance, he is hard working Mod to be fair :)

I do appreciate efficiency............

Stickied at last :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Right! I'm the 44th person to join the challenge. Already I'm finding it motivating. Since 10th of January I've ran 67 kilometres and swam 2. My task last week was 4 runs, 1 swim 1 bike. Somehow couldn't find time to even go for a one hour cycle. Note to self: don't let that happen again.

The main motivator is to not let Nerraw1111 get too far ahead of me! Back in the day I was ahead of him in the IMRA races. Last year was very close and approx 10 minutes separated us in Gaelforce (i.e. he pulled away at the bottom of Croagh Patrick and put serious time into me). My cycling also needs serious improvement.

In running people would tend to know their 5k or 10k times. What would the cycling equivalents be? A 60 minute time trial? On the same stretch of road? 20k/50k route? I'd like to be able to check my progress over the months.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Dammit, I missed my cycle at the weekend (I was tired! I gave blood last week! I.... couldn't be arsed getting out of bed :pac:) and already am out the back of that race. At least the running got done I guess. Seriously impressed with some of the mileage getting done... 450km in two weeks, in January?? I'd be lucky to put in that kind of shift in mid July :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Right! I'm the 44th person to join the challenge. Already I'm finding it motivating. Since 10th of January I've ran 67 kilometres and swam 2. My task last week was 4 runs, 1 swim 1 bike. Somehow couldn't find time to even go for a one hour cycle. Note to self: don't let that happen again.

The main motivator is to not let Nerraw1111 get too far ahead of me! Back in the day I was ahead of him in the IMRA races. Last year was very close and approx 10 minutes separated us in Gaelforce (i.e. he pulled away at the bottom of Croagh Patrick and put serious time into me). My cycling also needs serious improvement.

In running people would tend to know their 5k or 10k times. What would the cycling equivalents be? A 60 minute time trial? On the same stretch of road? 20k/50k route? I'd like to be able to check my progress over the months.

Welocome on board GHOGH

Depending on your target race distance, I would say a good indicator on progress would be a TT of 20km or 40km on the same loop every 4 to 6 weeks. Done at the end of an easy week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Feck, I was hoping you'd stay away from
    this ;). Excellent that you have, will definitely push the two of us. Especially our bikes which are woeful! Could see huge improvement. Sure we'll be trying to drop the lads on Achill/GF

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

When do people start logging their serious training? I'm getting a nosebleed here. :)

GoHard, are you doing triathlons? Another thing you can beat me at. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Christ, I leave this thread for four days!? I'm hoping the top 10 are going to come out and realise that they all put the decimal place in the wrong spot or something :o

Need to catch bally8, she's really pulled away from me on the bike! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    this ;). Excellent that you have, will definitely push the two of us. Especially our bikes which are woeful! Could see huge improvement. Sure we'll be trying to drop the lads on Achill/GF

Achill? You from Achill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Long run completed after over a week of no running on holiday in Myanmar (Not Burma). Definitely not text book marathon prepartion, but right now I'm more concerned with travelling South East Asia, than I am with marathons. So everything's as it should be in my book.

No running done in Myanmar, but I did manage to log my first cycle kilometres of the year. Spent two days on a rented high nelly, leisurely cycling around the thousands of temples in Bagan.

zico10 wrote: »
    Long run completed after over a week of no running on holiday in Myanmar (Not Burma). Definitely not text book marathon prepartion, but right now I'm more concerned with travelling South East Asia, than I am with marathons. So everything's as it should be in my book.

No running done in Myanmar, but I did manage to log my first cycle kilometres of the year. Spent two days on a rented high nelly, leisurely cycling around the thousands of temples in Bagan.

Sounds only slightly better than cycling out by Dunboyne, Summerhill and Maynooth.....

Hope you're keeping well Zico.

Sounds only slightly better than cycling out by Dunboyne, Summerhill and Maynooth.....

Hope you're keeping well Zico.

And marginally better than slog city on the turbo :cool:

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Achill? You from Achill?

Hi Dory, no he's not. The Achill reference is to the Achill Roar race. Nerraw and I are both relatively dreadful on the bike compared to our running and we were out of our depth on the cycle part of this race last September - 44k loop in blustery conditions. We worked together drafting (you're allowed in these races!) to try to bridge a gap with a few guys ahead of us. Both of us ended up knackered. Warren pulled away on the final stretch into Keel there as well.

Macanri wrote: »
    Welocome on board GHOGH

Depending on your target race distance, I would say a good indicator on progress would be a TT of 20km or 40km on the same loop every 4 to 6 weeks. Done at the end of an easy week.

Thanks for that Macanri. Just wanted an easily transferable metric that other people would use. 40k flat in approx 1h15 (for example). Also, would like to record a "before training" mark so that I can see improvements.

When do people start logging their serious training? I'm getting a nosebleed here. :)

GoHard, are you doing triathlons? Another thing you can beat me at. :D

You're pretty high up there alright. Don't think many people will be toppling you!

I would like to give a triathlon a decent whack. I've only ever survived the swim, knackered myself on the bike and struggled through the run. I'd love to do a triathlon where I have the energy to push hard on the run which would easily be my strongest discipline.

I'm doing a mini triathlon in Trinity in a couple of weeks. Just a try-a-tri to get me in the zone! 400m swim (I think), 5k on a turbo, 1.5k around the cricket pitch.

Was hoping to do the Kilkenny triathlon but have a wedding to go to (not my own). Have to find one that fits in with other races/commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi Dory, no he's not. The Achill reference is to the Achill Roar race. Nerraw and I are both relatively dreadful on the bike compared to our running and we were out of our depth on the cycle part of this race last September - 44k loop in blustery conditions. We worked together drafting (you're allowed in these races!) to try to bridge a gap with a few guys ahead of us. Both of us ended up knackered. Warren pulled away on the final stretch into Keel there as well.

Just wondering since I have family on Achill (Gramps was born and raised there). Gorgeous place - I live in the US, but definitely have a soft spot in my heart for Achill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Need to catch bally8

OH ITS ON!!!!:D:D

Challenge accepted!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Bally8 wrote: »
    OH ITS ON!!!!:D:D

Challenge accepted!
    Oh Sweet Jesus its only January. Not you and all. :)Frenetic I think is the word that describes this challenge best :)

nerraw1111 wrote: »

You better believe it. You've a big target on your back but I'll have to work just to stand still. Definitely lots of opportunity to improve on the bike. Couple of minutes available on the run but not a huge amount I would imagine.

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Just wondering since I have family on Achill (Gramps was born and raised there). Gorgeous place - I live in the US, but definitely have a soft spot in my heart for Achill.

Pretty nice alright! Few boardsies in that video. Me at 21 seconds! (ahead of PeterX - BOOM! that's right). PeterX at 3:40

Also some great pictures from John Shiels here:
    http://www.pbase.com/forrest5000/image/117265604

http://www.pbase.com/forrest5000/image/117269103

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Well ive a heck of a lot of catching up to do now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

injured since the 5th Jan.....i will have serious catching up to do....slipping steadily down at the minute :( few more days should see me back in action though i hope

Bambaata wrote: »
    Well ive a heck of a lot of catching up to do now :(

You were missing a few days.. its not like you dropped off the page! Good to see you back in action though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

You were missing a few days.. its not like you dropped off the page! Good to see you back in action though :)
    Ah im only slaggin'. Missed about 30-35k of running, 3k swimming and 30-35k cycling but im not too worried. I wont be doing any extra training to catch up. If my plan has me doing loads then watch yer backs ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Hope this challenge is not jinxed. First injury in 4 years. Hip and lower back pain. so bad was painful to sit at my desk at work for past 10 days. On mend now. No running or cycling since last week. Lesson learned on how important core work is.

Hope this challenge is not jinxed. First injury in 4 years. Hip and lower back pain. so bad was painful to sit at my desk at work for past 10 days. On mend now. No running or cycling since last week. Lesson learned on how important core work is.

Good to hear the back is on the mend. Core work is important alright, particularly if you spend a lot oftime at your desk

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

I do no core work at all, is this like Yoga and Pilates??

jester1980 wrote: »

Yup, although Yoga would be more a flexibility thing. In saying that, it depends on what kind of Yoga you're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

jester1980 wrote: »

Pilates is meant to be great for the core alright, but, you don't need to go to classes too do it. You don't really need to do anymore than things like squatting, chops, planks, bridging, single leg lunge and deadlifting if you can. I'd much rather go to someone who can do some sort of biomechanical assessment and give you good exercises to do, so that you're working on your weak areas rather than doing a generic pilates class. :)

Advertisement