Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBR Challenge 2012 & training log links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kevin7

Ah yes - just made my first entry in the table and its Jan 11.
    Since I wound things down in late October I've been "meaning" to get back to a bit of training. Hard to start with no clear goals set for the year yet. However, climbing (and not sinking!) in the ranks of the SBR chanllenge will provide a kick start to the motivation!

Nice job, MCOS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Oh, but the challenge is so much fun! Cough, cough... And, at the urging of one participant (thank you RQ), shotgun has promised uber-cool tri suits to all participants, amazing prizes to the winners of each category, and cash for each referral made. PLUS, rumor has it there will be a red carpet year end bash at the conclusion of this challenge at shotgun's new digs. Don't forget to mention my name when you sign up. wink.gif

Just quoting this SBR Challenge hard sell from Dory's log when she was convincing me to sign-up for the it.

Just wanted to ensure she got her cash referral and I get my uber-cool tri suit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

just joined this, i really need to start cycling this year, nothing so far. Ill have to play catch up tomorrow and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Have to say am enjoying this Google Doc spreadsheet. Absolutely no point in lying as it will catch up with you come race season. Looking forward to see the numbers i post over the next 6 months before Frankfurt and bitch slapping myself for not getting enough done. Also wondering how the top boys at the mo (shotgun & hoyte) get so much time to ride their bikes??!!!! eg Turbo trainer in work perhaps. :D Jealous.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

No one off the mark for Open Water Swimming yet?

Tsk, tsk.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Izoard wrote: »
    No one off the mark for Open Water Swimming yet?

Tsk, tsk.....

The 10 metres completed on Christmas Day was a few days too early :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

EC1000 wrote: »
    The 10 metres completed on Christmas Day was a few days too early :)

Come to think of it, I did about 20m in Sandycove @ 2am on New Years Day...result!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Absolutely no point in lying as it will catch up with you come race season.

Unless, like myself, you're still crap no matter how much quality training you do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I think we should have some kind of handicapping system in the list so that those who are in the clydesdale/amazonian categories get extra free miles for having to carry around the extra weight that the others don't.

:D
    Unless, like myself, you're still crap no matter how much quality training you do. :)

Hmmmm i think the two of them are mutually exclusive :D

Hopefully your not the person in school who used to say they did crap in an exam and come out with an A :D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hopefully your not the person in school who used to say they did crap in an exam and come out with an A :D
    There's a person in our club who always complains they havent trained in ages, when I know for a fact they're on 13 hour weeks right now. Why do people do that, is it an irish thing?

And doing crap? Methinks the racoon doth protest too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Oryx wrote: »
    There's a person in our club who always complains they havent trained in ages, when I know for a fact they're on 13 hour weeks right now. .

Is it Tunney by any chance? :D

40 on the challenge now! That more than ever and the number of ladies has trebled :D

Some Facts thus far

Turbo King & Queen
    Fazz & Dory Dory

Gym Bunnies
    Bally8, Dory Dory, Couerdeline and Izoard

Swim Lead imposter
    Me, where is our Chief gone?

Closest to First Green
    Swim 18.6%
    Bike 16.9%
    Run 10.7%

The, ahem 'other cardio' leader ;)
    aficionado

Breakdown of distances
    9 IM
    14 HIM
    8 OD
    AR
    3 SD
    2 X
    2 TBC

Lads vs Ladies
    Average Ladies points 49.8, rank 14th
    Average Lads points 58.7, rank 20th :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

40 on the challenge now! That more than ever and the number of ladies has trebled :D

Some Facts thus far

You must be having a very quiet January at work......

There's a person in our club who always complains they havent trained in ages, when I know for a fact they're on 13 hour weeks right now. Why do people do that, is it an irish thing?

Fear of failure,lack of self confidence, feelings of inadequacy.

They want you to believe come race season when the results are in that they have improved so much with little training that they are the exception to the rule

They only fooling themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭Ryath

Ok going to try this again guys started this last year but gave up updating around July. Ended up doing 3970k on the bike and had a bit more swimming and running done. Meant to update before the end of the year but I never got around to it. If I'd known I was just of the gold before I totted up my miles I would have made sure I did that 30k :)

Started last year with the notion of trying a few triathlons but turned into a cyclist instead, knees gave me bother running and just didn't fit in the swimming. Started racing in my cycling clubs inter club league and really enjoyed that. Goal for this year is trying to place now in the league instead of just trying to get around with the bunch and hopefully try some A4 or A3 open racing.
    Going to try and do a tri if I can get my knees sorted and string a few weeks together in the pool but it really depending on it fitting in with the cycling.

Nah, I was the one who genuinely didn't study and still came out with an A. Now I do all the training and still come out with a N.G :(
    And doing crap? Methinks the racoon doth protest too much.

Not doing too badly but getting faster is the hardest part of training and the slowest to come. I'm still going to be slow even if I average 8k/130k/95k every week for a year. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    .....but a BIG weekend that will include a 20 mile run and a massive swim. :D

Looks like DD is going to be top lady on Monday Morning.... :eek:

...and some of us guys will be demoted in the process!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ah, but what you conveniently omitted from that quote of mine was the fact that today is a total rest day for me.....so.....come tomorrow morning I will be playing catchup big time. No worries lads and lasses, I will be happy if I can just stay in the hunt....which is hard to do based on the talent of this entire group.

(I think shotgun's trying to "mix things up" a bit! ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Go on the Pink Ladies :D.

RQ, DD, Oryz and StR are doing brilliantly - keep it up women. Bally8 and myself are mixing it with those lower down in the table coz we want to give ye blokes a chance of not being totally chicked across the board :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Oh yeah I'm giving ye all a head start to save your embarrassment guys:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

So, I got some kms done on my new Tacx Flow yesterday evening.
    A good bit different to road cycling - no sense of going somewhere, the road not rolloing by, sweating like I don't know what, and not being able to snot rocket :)

I think I'm going to have to Learn to love it!

Also, I don't know what Tunney was on about re the high wattage - Mine was nowhere near those posted on the other thread?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Macanri wrote: »
    So, I got some kms done on my new Tacx Flow yesterday evening.
    A good bit different to road cycling - no sense of going somewhere, the road not rolloing by, sweating like I don't know what, and not being able to snot rocket :)

I think I'm going to have to Learn to love it!

Also, I don't know what Tunney was on about re the high wattage - Mine was nowhere near those posted on the other thread?
    I can just imagine what he will say....HTFU and push a harder gear, probably.:p

And on another note, I just want to say ye're all warped you know. This challenge is insane this year!

Macanri wrote: »
    and not being able to snot rocket :)

Well you can. It just might not go down well with the other occupants of your house. :D

Serious numbers being racked up by the cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Hi All, just throwing my name in the list. Meant to do lots of running last year but injury got in the way and I ended up doing lots of cycles instead. Managed 1,864km on the road bike and 449km running. Never done a tri but thinking of a sprint in the summer. Hopefully this will motivate me to get into the pool a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well you can. It just might not go down well with the other occupants of your house. :D

Yea, I went dangerously close at one stage, stopping just as I realised I was actually indoors.:p
    Hi All, just throwing my name in the list. Meant to do lots of running last year but injury got in the way and I ended up doing lots of cycles instead. Managed 1,864km on the road bike and 449km running. Never done a tri but thinking of a sprint in the summer. Hopefully this will motivate me to get into the pool a lot more.

Welcome on board DOD! Pleanty to aim for you this season by the sounds of it, happy training.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Fianlly got some cycling in this week, not much but a 40km and a 15 km, will need to step that up so much over the next few weeks to even think of doing a HIM in July, swimming is getting stronger again after a break in december and running going very well, onwards and upwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

2 out of the next 3 weeks are going to be a bit of a write off for me so I'm enjoying being in the top 10 whilst I am. No way to put down ski km's as a cardio workout unfortunately :(

"Challenge Status" sheet of the Table was fecked. Hopefully I've fixed it /fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Really enjoying taking part in the challenge -thanks shotgunmocos for setting this up. Happy to update once a week on Sunday. This week has been a good week of training. Two road cycles in this week. One longish spin and one hard hill session. Weather has been very favourable for cycling.
    Great to see the ladies doing sooo well in this challenge:p!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I would like to make a complaint about the glaring omission from the opening post of this thread. Thank you...

Advertisement