Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBR Challenge 2012 & training log links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Pilates is meant to be great for the core alright, but, you don't need to go to classes too do it. You don't really need to do anymore than things like squatting, chops, planks, bridging, single leg lunge and deadlifting if you can. I'd much rather go to someone who can do some sort of biomechanical assessment and give you good exercises to do, so that you're working on your weak areas rather than doing a generic pilates class. :)

Is there anyone you'd recommend??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is there anyone you'd recommend??

Dave McConkey - http://www.southdublinsc.ie/

I plan to go back for classes soon, he'll do personal training or a group training sessions. Really knows his stuff about what sort of things triathletes/endurance athletes should be doing.

I hear John Belton is good too - http://www.no17pt.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Pretty nice alright! Few boardsies in that video. Me at 21 seconds! (ahead of PeterX - BOOM! that's right). PeterX at 3:40

Also some great pictures from John Shiels here:
    http://www.pbase.com/forrest5000/image/117265604

http://www.pbase.com/forrest5000/image/117269103

Wow! Gorgeous video and photos!! So that's you in the green top at 21 seconds? The fella in the middle? I take it PeterX is the third runner in that frame.

Also, how cold is that water?? Looks like it was an incredible race. Achill is so gorgeous - rugged and wild. Thanks for posting this. I need to purchase my plane tickets.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Just noticed this thread! Since when did the SBR challenge become so competitive :D

Already behind on last year and it looks like I will struggle to hang onto my top 10 from last year already! The good news is the IT band problem seems to be settling so the bike and run km's should start coming in more frequently now...fingers crossed!

Fazz, 450km+ on the turbo? You need to get outside, for your own sanity if nothing else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Fazz, 450km+ on the turbo? You need to get outside, for your own sanity if nothing else!

I haven't been outdoors since October in Barcelona. All my miles since then have been turbo!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I missed a long outdoor bike a couple weeks ago and ended up doing 3 hours on turbo to cover!
    So that's skewed my split a bit.

However, I love the turbo. Pure quality sessions/pain caves!
    Weekends are for outdoor bikes, and theres only 2 days of them :)
    Have 1 tomorrow and 1 Sunday so should be back in sanity city so :)

If you ask me, the insanity is in those running massive miles!
    Thank god I'm not doing an ironman or marathon!

pgibbo wrote: »
    I haven't been outdoors since October in Barcelona. All my miles since then have been turbo!! :eek:
    Fazz wrote: »
    I missed a long outdoor bike a couple weeks ago and ended up doing 3 hours on turbo to cover!
    So that's skewed my split a bit.

However, I love the turbo. Pure quality sessions/pain caves!
    Weekends are for outdoor bikes, and theres only 2 days of them :)
    Have 1 tomorrow and 1 Sunday so should be back in sanity city so :)

If you ask me, the insanity is in those running massive miles!
    Thank god I'm not doing an ironman or marathon!

You're both nuts!!

Anything over 60 minutes on the turbo and my arse is in pieces. That just doesnt happen out on the road..

Fazz, you tackling DCM again this year. Plan on ending the tri season mid August to give myself a good run up to my debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Fazz, you tackling DCM again this year. Plan on ending the tri season mid August to give myself a good run up to my debut.

Not a chance in hell I'd say :D

Planning on downtime straight after Galway and back to it then.
    Half thinking of an early race next yr depending so we'll see.
    Marathon wouldn't work for me, it's all Tri focused this year.

Good luck in it! Great race I enjoyed the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭Ryath

Dragged out the turbo for the first time this year last night. First two episodes of The Wire down 58 to go. Don't know how I haven't seen this before it's brilliant brother bought me the box set for Christmas and can see it now making me use the turbo if I only let my self watch it while on it.

Had intended getting out in the road last night but it was absolutely miserable out, wife could see I was down about it and actually told me to get the turbo out.

Used the turbo last year in the sitting room with the TV blasting to drown out the turbo. Tried a much better set up last night laptop on table in front of me with in-ear head phones, so much better could barely even hear the turbo. Front wheel went under the table and the keyboard fits right between the drops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

@ Ryath
    You should never watch 'The Wire', on the turbo. It warrants 100% concentration.

How can you watch TV on the turbo? I'd have the head down trying not to think about how long I have left...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Ryath wrote: »
    Dragged out the turbo for the first time this year last night. First two episodes of The Wire down 58 to go. Don't know how I haven't seen this before it's brilliant brother bought me the box set for Christmas and can see it now making me use the turbo if I only let my self watch it while on it.

Had intended getting out in the road last night but it was absolutely miserable out, wife could see I was down about it and actually told me to get the turbo out.

Used the turbo last year in the sitting room with the TV blasting to drown out the turbo. Tried a much better set up last night laptop on table in front of me with in-ear head phones, so much better could barely even hear the turbo. Front wheel went under the table and the keyboard fits right between the drops.

I agree the wire definitely needs 100% concentration......but so does the turbo.......watching tv on the turbo can lead to many junk miles IMO . You've been warned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Watching The Wire on the turbo right now myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Bambaata wrote: »
    Watching The Wire on the turbo right now myself :)

Pushing too easy then if you are watching and typing on here;) I am only through 2 seasons so far must get back into watching it, awesome show.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I was told to get the wire for turbo too. Seems to be THE thing to watch. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

a new baby in November meant i was idle till Christmas so i set the 1st of January to start back properly so in the past 3 weeks ive racked up 400km's on the bike (all out on the road as well) and about 50k running...hasnt been easy

Congrats on the bambino. 1st? Training with kids. A whole different ball game. 400k outside is impressive.

nope, number 6 haha so well used to working around it...working shift helps as well, that and i have a very understanding missus :)

Daz1214 wrote: »
    nope, number 6 haha so well used to working around it...working shift helps as well, that and i have a very understanding missus :)

6 and triathlon training..as well as a full time job...that has to be a record. Respect.

• Advertisement

thanks man...its not as hard as it seems, my 2 eldest are 16 and 13 so no minding in them...i usually get all my workouts done in the morning or in the gym in work so its manageable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

6 and triathlon training..as well as a full time job...that has to be a record. Respect.

+1 Respect

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

mdlb wrote: »
    injured since the 5th Jan.....i will have serious catching up to do....slipping steadily down at the minute :( few more days should see me back in action though i hope

3k tester tonight....all signs seem positive at present so hopefully i can get back training properly!! was getting pretty cranky not being able to run!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

+2 can fully appreciate the effort with having 4. You have been busy with 6:)

can be hard alright at times, there are times where i have to get up at stupid o clock to get the time but sure has to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Another good weeks training, thanks to SBR. Really keeping me motivated to go swimming which I so suck at and need every metre of practice I can get. Long group cycle Sunday and two really focused runs – hills and track session. Need to try and get a second cycle in during the week but work is just too busy. So gaol this week – two cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Did 2 hours on rollers there at the weekend. 1 hour, 20 minutes, 40 minutes. I'm putting in 25k per hour for these until I get a more accurate figure.

Great fun to be watching telly while doing a bit of exercise. My stance is that it's better to be doing something than nothing. My normal weekly cycling is between 0 and 10 kilometres so getting a couple of hours on the rollers is beneficial for my current low cycling ability.

The rollers I think encourage you to cycle "quietly" whereas on the turbo it's possible to have unnecessary lateral movement. So using rollers probably encourages more efficient cycling.

Although this can also happen:

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Never done anything on a Turbo, what kind of price would you be looking at for one of these? Say an entry level one.

I'd be one of the people in the first 90 seconds of that video. I'm lucky to stay on the bike on the turbo half the time.

• Advertisement

I think this is how its supposed to be done...

http://gavinnoble.com/roller-hero-peter-croes/

Advertisement