Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Redzer why would you not go for the curly hair? you wont get too heavy a coat of hair up around us, although did bring a share of cattle from clifden and they looked like highlands compared to our own, still have a cow outta there super cow but stone cracked, sorry to say she'.ll see a hook the end of next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Muckit wrote: »
    Not a bad looking animal at all for that type of cross. It's amazing what a bit of milk will do. Lovely colouring too. If I had any slight crticism of him, I'd say he was a bit light in the bone(especially front legs) , but that's the AA influence. Are you selling him on soon or will you squeeze him?

Ya he was pumped with milk all summer alright to be fair, he's as tall as the mother now. I'm not sure what to do with him, to make the most money out of him tbh. We always sold in the autumn. Any ideas...
    Just reading there in another farming forum where there seems to be alot of praise for the AA cow off a BRFR herd for rearing good calves and not too expensive to feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

johnpawl wrote: »
    Ya he was pumped with milk all summer alright to be fair, he's as tall as the mother now. I'm not sure what to do with him, to make the most money out of him tbh. We always sold in the autumn. Any ideas...
    Just reading there in another farming forum where there seems to be alot of praise for the AA cow off a BRFR herd for rearing good calves and not too expensive to feed.

I would find the AAX gets it hard to consistantly pass on enough muscle to the calf. It depends on what you want to produce though. They can bring early flesh to the mix though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

1chippy wrote: »
    Redzer why would you not go for the curly hair? you wont get too heavy a coat of hair up around us, although did bring a share of cattle from clifden and they looked like highlands compared to our own, still have a cow outta there super cow but stone cracked, sorry to say she'.ll see a hook the end of next year

Was always told to avoid it, supposed to hold the water but you wouldnt know how much of a difference that it makes. As for cattle having a fleece of hair is a different story. Calfs that are pumped with meal generally speaking dont have as much of a fleece because they dont need it to keep warm. We have only bought in weanling heifers here the last few years but I would prefer if the were not overdone tbh. A fat weanling heifer is no good in my opinion, would be looking for a bit of scope more than anything else. All our cows are out wintered aswell so you would want fairly warm easy fleshed cows. Its only the really tight curls I would stay away from.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

http://imgur.com/a/IjGKo#0
    here are a few photos of our weighing scales mounted on the rear of the feeder.

• Advertisement

Maybe the Keenan boys will have it as standard next!
    Any trouble getting them into it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

fr314size640.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

cow mat makes new load liner for the jeep

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Bizzum wrote: »
    Maybe the Keenan boys will have it as standard next!
    Any trouble getting them into it?

no bother at all we make sure there are cattle to the front so they run straight up the shoot and in. only thing that might not suit everyone is its better to have 2 pairs of hands on d job. 1 to push them in 2nd to put in bar.works very well for us we delighted wit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

here are a few photos of our weighing scales mounted on the rear of the Gfeeder.

that's a great invention/ cost saving / getting one machine to do the work of two!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hill123

red menace wrote: »
    Hi yessam

If you right click on your picture in Imageshack and choose open in new tab or new page then paste in the link from the new page your image should appear here
    Like this: Nice dog btw

sittingspringer.jpg
    like your dog got one like him myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

cow mat makes new load liner for the jeep

Great idea there Vander ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Excellent idea. Good welding too btw ;) Not that I'I be making one anytime soon (don't have a diet feeder), but it would give the bigger lads on here a few tips. Thanks for posting pics

A stormy beach in Fanore today

006.jpg

Weanlings not enjoying the weather

003.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Jez, I thought that was a real simmental bull looking out to sea, in the first photo. One of those Dougal McGuire, far away, up close moments.

Worst possible weather for cattle, mad driving rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

pakalasa wrote: »
    Jez, I thought that was a real simmental bull looking out to sea, in the first photo. One of those Dougal McGuire, far away, up close moments.

Worst possible weather for cattle, mad driving rain.

Glad I wasn't the only one!:D
    Wouldn't like going for a dip in that sea today.

Karen112 wrote: »
    Glad I wasn't the only one!:D
    Wouldn't like going for a dip in that sea today.

I must be blind altogether, i thought he was standing on the road in front of sea! and I was trying to think how the beach was so close to the road :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

i thought he was standing on the road

Hell of a speed bump ahead of him, say he's considering swimming around it? :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

i think he ****ed on the dash:eek:

Ha, I met a checkpoint about 2 weeks ago. Fairly serious guard going around the jeep with his flash lamp, Takes a good look at the window and then spots the bull on the dash, He started laughing out loud and told me to go on away, didnt even look at my licence:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Ha, I met a checkpoint about 2 weeks ago. Fairly serious guard going around the jeep with his flash lamp, Takes a good look at the window and then spots the bull on the dash, He started laughing out loud and told me to go on away, didnt even look at my licence:D

Jeez I must get one!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Ella with the lotto numbers :)

Bodacious wrote: »
    Ella with the lotto numbers :)

I don't see the whole six numbers...................All's I see is a pair:D.

anyone see countryfile last night, good show

Curiousity killed the cow's........nose? Dehorning earlier and couldn't help snapping a pic of a cow very confused by the smell of a dehorner!

img00201201201051353.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

anyone see countryfile last night, good show
    Yeah it was very good :D

weefarmer wrote: »
    Yeah it was very good :D

was it the highland cattle you were interested in weefarmer..or was it some of the presenters..;)

This cow calved in early March, her AI doc shows she is due in two weeks, now I don't think that's correct, although the AI tech has confirmed it is according to his books:confused: She is a PB LM & incalf to a BA, she has had 5 heifers in a row so maybe just carrying light. Anyone thing we're a month off or will she be on time? Cause I'm baffled!

(She is tender on the back right leg from a kick a couple years ago, hence the way she stands)
    img00192201201051348.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Karen112 wrote: »
    This cow calved in early March, her AI doc shows she is due in two weeks, now I don't think that's correct, although the AI tech has confirmed it is according to his books:confused: She is a PB LM & incalf to a BA, she has had 5 heifers in a row so maybe just carrying light. Anyone thing we're a month off or will she be on time? Cause I'm baffled!

(She is tender on the back right leg from a kick a couple years ago, hence the way she stands)
    img00192201201051348.jpg

Impossible to tell by the photo. I suppose you've got to go with the AI date. Does she normally calf on time or carry over a few days? Also look at the bull's data re gestation length. Deep chested cows can be deceptive. Not sure if this is anyway helpful!

What date was she AI'd Karen?

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    What date was she AI'd Karen?

23rd Feb ac to the slip.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement