Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

tanko wrote: »
    I have six 18 month old limo heifers in a pen and noticed a couple of spots of ringworm on two of them. Is there an injection i can get to cure it and prevent the others from getting it? What are you washing yours with?

HI Tanko,

Theone-off injection that we used to get from vet is gone off of the market as is the stuff to throw into the feed (some other stuff advertised on Donedeal there but to me it just looks like vitamins and minerals to boost the immune system)

Intervet do a vaccine but its wicked expensive from vet E30 for 10ml a normal weanling would need 4 ml and again in 2 weeks!!

Im washing ours with IMAVEROL E35 for 100ml, mixed at 50:1 in a little sprayer and a brush to roughen up scabs and soak them every 3 days, its hassle but it works 3-4 washes!

Im clear now except 2 late calves that it showed up on after i treated first calver, 2 yearlings, etc didnt show on older cows!

Good luck with it, keep the gloves on All the time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cows123

first 3 calves are sired by azl and are out of heifers. charolais bull calf is by tullygarley alibaba at three days old out of a massive simmental x cow that was a month overdue. charolais heifer calf beside him is 2 months old to show how big he was.
    SL271694.jpg
    SL271246.jpg
    SAM_5082.jpg
    SL271634.jpg
    SL271635.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Nice AZL calves. Any problem calving them?
    What kind of breeding in their mothers?

That's a BIG bull calve.Was he hiding in the rushes for a few months? :D

pakalasa wrote: »
    Nice AZL calves. Any problem calving them?
    What kind of breeding in their mothers?

That's a BIG bull calve.Was he hiding in the rushes for a few months? :D

all the heifers calved themselves without putting a hand to them. first is off a simmental x heifer. second off a hereford heifer and third off a belgian blue x heifer.

No :D he was a massive pull to get out and got stuck at the hips but got him out eventually. don't think i'll use him again after such a hard calving.

cows123 wrote: »
    all the heifers calved themselves without putting a hand to them. first is off a simmental x heifer. second off a hereford heifer and third off a belgian blue x heifer.

No :D he was a massive pull to get out and got stuck at the hips but got him out eventually. don't think i'll use him again after such a hard calving.

Nice calves, fair play to you chancing Ross Alo on heifers and glad they worked out for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

How many days did the Sim cow carry that big bull calf off Alibaba?

Lovely blue calves there too!

Bizzum wrote: »
    How many days did the Sim cow carry that big bull calf off Alibaba?

Lovely blue calves there too!

she went 30 days with her time! he's a great calf now with great growth and shape :)

cows123 wrote: »
    she went 30 days with her time!

What date was she inseminated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭limo_100

Lovely, quality pair of heifers. Is there much interest on here in breeding from that type of heifer?
    I don't no but id like ta try one or two of them cross them with limos or parts you should have great stock

Lovely, quality pair of heifers. Is there much interest on here in breeding from that type of heifer?
    I wouldn't breed from either of them. Both their mothers were short enough for milk. Although both cows are very big at the hips.
    To me it makes more sense to take a BB from a Limo cow, than a Limo from a BB cow. A lot less hassle with calving, milk, fertility etc. At the end of the day you basically have the same animal.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't breed from either of them. Both their mothers were short enough for milk. Although both cows are very big at the hips.
    To me it makes more sense to take a BB from a Limo cow, than a Limo from a BB cow. A lot less hassle with calving, milk, fertility etc. At the end of the day you basically have the same animal.

Looking at your black heifer for example, the second pic, she could easily be taken for a Lim out of a BB. If this was the case would she be a breeding prospect?
    I suppose the bigger question I'm trying to ask is how extreme are lads prepared to go on the muscle front?

Would you use Ross A (RSA) for example on a suckler cow to get a replacement?

Looking at your black heifer for example, the second pic, she could easily be taken for a Lim out of a BB. If this was the case would she be a breeding prospect?
    I suppose the bigger question I'm trying to ask is how extreme are lads prepared to go on the muscle front?

Would you use Ross A (RSA) for example on a suckler cow to get a replacement?
    If you were taking a BB maiden from a Lim cow, you want to be going for a BB bull with good maternal calving figures. I had a look through a few few bulls there on ww.icbf.com.
    ........ FHZ 12% (63 Rel) - 1% across Breeds , so very bad
    Empire, EZN 4.7% (53 Rel) - 94 % across Breeds, Very good
    ........ DEP 8.6% (78 Rel) - 12% across Breeds, bad too

High maternal calving usually means high direct calving too. EZN is hard calved. If you could avoid calving problems, then you'd get great calves, 3/4 bred BB and the likes.
    Anyone here calving BB cows to BB bulls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

the last animal to calve here was a blue out of a blonde,she had a bbq bull calf on her own,the mother is only a r grade cow cant think what she is buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

If you were taking a BB maiden from a Lim cow, you want to be going for a BB bull with good maternal calving figures. I had a look through a few few bulls there on ww.icbf.com.

High maternal calving usually means high direct calving too. EZN is hard calved. If you could avoid calving problems, then you'd get great calves, 3/4 bred BB and the likes.

One of the neighbours does it. He has about 10 bb x friesan cows and lets them off with a stock bull by joker. He was trying to get them all out the back and it just doesnt really work. He lost 2 calfs last year doing it and broke a cow aswell. Had a fair auld pull with all the calves too. He had to cut the baren on another cow too when she was calving. So thats a few dead calfs, a dead cow and a few cows that had very difficult calvings and probably wont come bulling for 6 months so you would have the best calf going to the mart.....madness!!!! If you were doing it you would want to be prepared to be doing c-sections and dont be fooling yourself thinking you will get too many of them out the back. I dont even know would I chance pulling, Id value my cow more than that. The calves werent massive but had the double muscle the day they were born with a big hip and shoulder. Hard to see how anything could calve them naturally. Thats my opinion on it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

BBxfr cows are good cows, we have a lot of them, but you cant go putting blues on them, thats just madness

BBxfr cows are good cows, we have a lot of them, but you cant go putting blues on them, thats just madness

BB on BB isint a great idea I think. I know people do it to get a show calf or whatever but I was actually mad to see that going on last year. There was no need for it what so ever. He had do do a c-section on a malibu cow out of a blue cow too, Whale of a calf. Your taking an awful chance trying to calve them naturally I think, Friesan blood or fully continental its still a big chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Am I reading you right here - of the 3 BB bulls you've selected, EZN is a good one to use if breeding for BB replacements, but only use him on mature easy calving cows?

just do it wrote: »
    Am I reading you right here - of the 3 BB bulls you've selected, EZN is a good one to use if breeding for BB replacements, but only use him on mature easy calving cows?

Yep, exactly. That's what the figures are saying anyway. The reliablility is low though, (for EZN) at 53%. On ICBF.com, hit the fertility tab for the bull, Maternal Calving is the second one down.
    I reckon it can be done if you get the breeding right. Look at the British Belgian Blues. They calve unassisted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Ya, I think I'd agree with this. I know a guy who started with these and crossed a blonde bull onto them and got lovely stock. He then crossed a blue onto these blondes and has great weanlings from them every year.

Any of the cows we have with BB in them don't get a BB on them. I'd be terribly afraid of serious calving problems putting BB on BBX.
    There are a couple of very good BA cows there that I'm considering putting a Blue on this year. I had Ross A (RSA) or Jalon (JLM) in mind from Eurogene. Anyone use either?

• Advertisement

Few pics of the heifers what we had picked out for breeding this morning. They have done well the last few weeks, Theres a bit of a shine coming on their coat:)
    Photo0169.jpg
    Photo0168.jpg
    Photo0167.jpg
    Photo0166.jpg
    Photo0164.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Few pics of the heifers what we had picked out for breeding this morning. They have done well the last few weeks, Theres a bit of a shine coming on their coat:)
    Photo0169.jpg
    Photo0168.jpg
    Photo0167.jpg
    Photo0166.jpg
    Photo0164.jpg

nice heifers there redzer, good stock for Ch bull down the road or what will you give them, is that fanore in the background?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭cjpm

Nice looking quiet animals, they're very relaxed looking too!!

nice heifers there redzer, good stock for Ch bull down the road or what will you give them, is that fanore in the background?

Thats the plan down the road. Tis be god, The caravans gave it away!!

cjpm wrote: »
    Nice looking quiet animals, they're very relaxed looking too!!

They would nearly talk to you when you have a bag of nuts on your shoulder, I actually had to stay walking away from them to try and get a picture because they were coming too close!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Thats the plan down the road. Tis be god, The caravans gave it away!!

they did, I wouldnt like to be down in one of them these days :)

Redz,
    Great looking heifers. If they're as quiet as you say, then you're laughing.

Is that dolphin "Dusty" still hanging around. We went snorkling with her a few times. Took some great underwater photos. There's an alcove, near the road a small bit down from you, towards lahinch. If there wasn't too many people around, all you had to do was bang 2 rocks together underwater and she'd come swimming in to you. Must have been about 5 yrs ago now.

Redz,
    Great looking heifers. If they're as quiet as you say, then you're laughing.

Is that dolphin "Dusty" still hanging around. We went snorkling with her a few times. Took some great underwater photos. There's an alcove, near the road a small bit down from you, towards lahinch. If there wasn't too many people around, all you had to do was bang 2 rocks together underwater and she'd come swimming in to you. Must have been about 5 yrs ago now.

I know the spot where he used to hang around alright. There was a little concrete slip going down to it. I think hes gone with a few years. I heard he pulled a few people underwater while he was there too and they had lucky escapes with him so might be just as well.

they did, I wouldnt like to be down in one of them these days :)

Theres plenty of fresh air around there these days alright!!

• Advertisement

They would nearly talk to you when you have a bag of nuts on your shoulder, I actually had to stay walking away from them to try and get a picture because they were coming too close!!

Lovely heifers Redzer, will you keep them all or see how they go? Does the black cow in with them not hog all the ration?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement