Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

just do it wrote: »
    Impossible to tell by the photo. I suppose you've got to go with the AI date. Does she normally calf on time or carry over a few days? Also look at the bull's data re gestation length. Deep chested cows can be deceptive. Not sure if this is anyway helpful!

I know, she just comes into calving very quickly, hours will bring her from a weak bag to milk, never seen it before in my life! Checked her at half three last yar & no sign.....by 5 she had calved!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Karen112 wrote: »
    Bizzum wrote: »
    What date was she AI'd Karen?

23rd Feb ac to the slip.
    Jeez that's some cow you've got there. She'd gone in-calf again even before she'd calved!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

23rd Feb ac to the slip.

318 days today, unless my addition is hasty wrong.
    Something not adding up. Even if she repeated after 21 days she would be at 297 today. I'd be expecting a cow at 297 to be well sprung up.
    Maybe a repeat on 6 weeks? leave her around the mid 270's.

Jeez that's some cow you've got there. She'd gone in-calf again even before she'd calved!!!

Whoops, meant March! She calved at the beginning of March/early Feb. I haven't the slip here to be fully sure but my Dad was questioning how she was due so early. No bulls around that could catch her repeating you see. So confusion all round!

Whoops, meant March! She calved at the beginning of March/early Feb. I haven't the slip here to be fully sure but my Dad was questioning how she was due so early. No bulls around that could catch her repeating you see. So confusion all round!

If she was AI'd on 23rd Mar, she would be 291 days today. She could go another week or more. A few days can make a massive difference in the elder!
    Hope she is lucky with you anyway:)

• Advertisement

If she was AI'd on 23rd Mar, she would be 291 days today. She could go another week or more. A few days can make a massive difference in the elder!
    Hope she is lucky with you anyway:)

She lost the nearest back spin as a heifer and by Navarin, so she is not the milkiest animal around the place.
    It's just confusing as there was another cow AI'd on the same date and she slipped the calf a month ago. Looked a tad small for what should have been it's size for foetus age. And I know eff all about Blondes so I'm worried about her calving on the slats. There's a very bossy cow in the pen too so I would mostly worry about the calf being stood on by others.
    I'll let you all know anyway:)
    I just hope that the AI man was correct about her.......how reliable can he be if he was adamant about it being Jan and he was a month out:rolleyes:

She lost the nearest back spin as a heifer and by Navarin, so she is not the milkiest animal around the place.
    It's just confusing as there was another cow AI'd on the same date and she slipped the calf a month ago. Looked a tad small for what should have been it's size for foetus age. And I know eff all about Blondes so I'm worried about her calving on the slats. There's a very bossy cow in the pen too so I would mostly worry about the calf being stood on by others.
    I'll let you all know anyway:)
    I just hope that the AI man was correct about her.......how reliable can he be if he was adamant about it being Jan and he was a month out:rolleyes:

If you've the vet out get him to handle her, otherwise it's a case of sit, watch and wait!

I hope she works out alright for you, it is a concern when another one has slipped a calf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I found an old memory stick with a few photos. I said I'd throw a few of them up...

photos201011188.jpg
    photos201011177.jpg
    photos201011010.jpg
    img1580py.jpg
    No better team for drawing in! :D

If you've the vet out get him to handle her, otherwise it's a case of sit, watch and wait!

I hope she works out alright for you, it is a concern when another one has slipped a calf

Aye I know. But with the dwarf calf we got last year all were tested for numerous complaints and all turned up negative. The other cow that slipped the calf is thriving like hell & we won't be sorry to see the back of her, daftest animal we had around the place, would only let me handle her & scratch her.:confused:

13spanner wrote: »
    I found an old memory stick with a few photos. I said I'd throw a few of them up...

What sort of feeder is that in the first photo? Patent it...It could catch on:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Top class.. fire it up on the whitethorn bush ... i do the same when i feeding the mares at home.. no waste when they they have to pick carefully

If there's money to be made from white thorns we'll be millionaires! :D

A few more photos, mix of all sorts. Something else for ye to be looking at sure :)
    august2007tojune2008225.jpg
    img2934c.jpg
    img2861xt.jpg
    photos201011215.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

That old man ain't giving up doing the garden anyway....Leaning against the wall and using the 4wd to get out there.;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    That old man ain't giving up doing the garden anyway....Leaning against the wall and using the 4wd to get out there.;)
    He wont give up without a fight anyway! :D That was taken sometime during last summer. He turned 87 there 2 months ago.

He wont give up without a fight anyway! :D That was taken sometime during last summer. He turned 87 there 2 months ago.

Fair duece to him. Keeping active at that age is a great thing!

I see he's using the wall for support. Does he do the 2 drills along by the wall and expect you to do everything else?!:D;)

A few more photos, mix of all sorts. Something else for ye to be looking at sure :)
    august2007tojune2008225.jpg
    img2934c.jpg
    img2861xt.jpg
    photos201011215.jpg

These few photos sum up why most of us are farming in the first place. We like thinkering with things, live in the country, work out doors, have dogs and kids (and OH of course!), the auld "gra" for home and family, and like livestock.

Nice weanlings by the way. These are type anyone would be happy to buy as replacements!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

There's a bit of a photographer in ya 13spanner. You've an eye for a good photo ;) Keep posting them up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

He's doing something right, those cabbages are huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭stanflt

some of the cows relaxing after milking

002zd.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us003ilp.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

our cows love those cubicles, seem to be very comfortable, very high occupancy in them, ours nearly fight to get in to them:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

The 2 pigs down at the girlfriends

[Pic removed at request of OP]

Have the cruiser over a year, washed it for the first time yesterday, couldnt get over how clean it was under all the sh*t:o
    A few of the broiler chickens at a month old

DSC00020.jpg

Spent three hours watching a cow last night, eventually went to pull and got stuck at the hips, never know how weak you are until you get stuck!:eek:
    Got her out after twisting her a bit and pulling like hell. Lovely monster of a heifer. The calf in the second photo is about a three weeks or so.

img00209201201131245.jpg

img00217201201131252.jpg

Got her out after twisting her a bit and pulling like hell. Lovely monster of a heifer.

Well done! Was it a heifer? And what's the breeding?

Spent three hours watching a cow last night, eventually went to pull and got stuck at the hips, never know how weak you are until you get stuck!:eek:
    Got her out after twisting her a bit and pulling like hell. Lovely monster of a heifer.

Is this the cow that was bulled on Mar 23rd?

Even though a calving jack does the pulling, they can take it outta you using them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Got her out after twisting her a bit and pulling like hell. Lovely monster of a heifer. The calf in the second photo is about a three weeks or so.

img00209201201131245.jpg

img00217201201131252.jpg

Loving looking calf Karen, wish we had a few like her on the ground :)

Is this the cow that was bulled on Mar 23rd?

Even though a calving jack does the pulling, they can take it outta you using them!
    No, this is a different cow that had a bull last Feb. Lovely small sized cow and does the best with her calves.
    Well done! Was it a heifer? And what's the breeding?

Not a heifer, the cow had a few bulls before, the wee calf is now christened Darcy.:D

Oh and by Westside Bob- now hard to get I think as he was put down in his testing year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]
    An issue has been brought to our attention regarding vehicle registration numbers visible in photographs, where the criminally inclined trawl the Internet looking for vehicles similar to their own, clone the number plates, and head off merrily accruing penalty points, not paying toll fees, and leaving filling stations without paying, leaving the unfortunate owner of the genuine vehicle having to deal with the Gardaí as they investigate these matters.
    This is likely much more of an issue on the big car selling websites, but it might be good practice to either obscure the number plate or not include it in the first place if you post a picture of your vehicle here.
    Obviously, don't post such details of other peoples' vehicles.

We've modified the forum Charter regarding this and a couple of other items to do with photographs/scans, see quote below.

If anyone wants any of their old photos deleted, give the mods a shout by PM.
    [/MOD]

Charter wrote: »
    4. Personal Information & Privacy.

When posting scans of documents/maps/etc or photographs, take care not to inadvertently include identifying details, particularly those of other people.

Remember that things like identifiable landmarks, signposts, vehicle registration numbers, etc, can be used to narrow down a person's location or identity, or particularly in the case of vehicle registration numbers, be used for unlawful purposes by the criminally inclined.

Be aware too, that a lot of digital cameras and most smartphones these days have GPS functionality built into them, and that details of the location at which the photo was taken can be included in the EXIF data of the image file.
    If this is of concern to you, either switch off the GPS function of your camera/phone, or remove the data from the file before posting it publicly.
    In Windows, you can see if this data is present by right-clicking on the image file, selecting 'Properties', and clicking the 'Details' tab.
    If you wish to remove this data, follow the above steps, then click the 'Remove Properties and Personal Information' link, and follow the instructions from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I was thinking the same recently. People are way too quick to put up personal information.

Note To Mods too - I recently did a search (on google.ie )on my username. It was just to find a previous post I had, but came across a PM I had sent to someone before. This PM had personal info. Surely this is bad practice.

Pak..

Sorry only Visitor Messages that are visible, not PMs. My mistake. You can delete your visitor messages later, if you wish.
    Thanks, Rovi, for pointing that out.

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    I was thinking the same recently. People are way too quick to put up personal information.

Note To Mods too - I recently did a search (on google.ie )on my username. It was just to find a previous post I had, but came across a PM I had sent to someone before. This PM had personal info. Surely this is bad practice.

Pak..

I see what you mean. I just Googled you there. You make a very good point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement