Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hello All,

This is a picture of a calf that was born last night. Anyone like to take a guess at her breeding or even the bull she is out of. I don't have a pic of the cow but she is a red white head LM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Hello All,

This is a picture of a calf that was born last night. Anyone like to take a guess at her breeding or even the bull she is out of. I don't have a pic of the cow but she is a red white head LM.
    Super looking calf.
    Mad guess but by Char Bull, KIB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Hello All,

I'll be amazed if the calf is off anything other than a Charolais.
    As for which one, needle in haystack time! Prime Roberto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Hello All,

Nice looking calf! TZA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

have to get my ai books out not up on charolais codes :D,could be blue:confused:.just looked again no not blue baby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭naughto

thats a fine calf iam going to go with a blue seeing that its out a red white head LM.

naughto wrote: »
    thats a fine calf iam going to go with a blue seeing that its out a red white head LM.
    very long in the back leg for a blue,then again very short in front leg like a blue:p:confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭limo_100

on a hunch big calf cottage is it

feckit bbq

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you lads / lassies. Ye are making progress.The breed of the calf has been correctly identified and has been posted. I won't say anymore yet.

Here is another pic taken earlier. It doesnt help in terms of making a prediction though. I will take a pic of the AI docket and the straw when I get back to the house. All will be revealed then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭adne

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you lads / lassies. Ye are making progress.The breed of the calf has been correctly identified and has been posted. I won't say anymore yet.

Here is another pic taken earlier. It doesnt help in terms of making a prediction though. I will take a pic of the AI docket and the straw when I get back to the house. All will be revealed then :)

Hwn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I'll go with KIB too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

what prize does the winner get?

whelan1 wrote: »
    what prize does the winner get?

The calf:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Did ya see the Char cow on the back of this weeks comic, 10 yrs old, 1040 kgs - made €2400. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Front of Pit is keeping well and the boyos in theshed are almost cleaning it out.:D
    what are all the pikes for?

Hello All,

Ok. I have attached the straw used on this cow. If I were a betting man I would have said a CH aswell. Naughto and Legwax (no surprise there) were right!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭island of tighe

cf85

Ok. I have attached the straw used on this cow. If I were a betting man I would have said a CH aswell. Naughto and Legwax (no surprise there) were right!

do you keep all the straws?

Jaysus, great back bone for a blue! Will make a smashing calf.
    limo_100 wrote: »

I've only noted recently that some AI techs attach the ends of used straws to the AI certs, maybe as proof?
    Was new to me last September anyway!

• Advertisement

I have kept all the straws from the last 3 years. More to do with to lazy to clean out the drawer than collecting them.

I have kept all the straws from the last 3 years. More to do with to lazy to clean out the drawer than collecting them.

suppose its better than were ours are left on the ground...:(

Karen112 wrote: »
    Jaysus, great back bone for a blue! Will make a smashing calf.

I've only noted recently that some AI techs attach the ends of used straws to the AI certs, maybe as proof?
    Was new to me last September anyway!

he must think you dont trust him:) we dont even get a docket just record it ourselves. and anyway its al up on the herdplus site

he must think you dont trust him:) we dont even get a docket just record it ourselves. and anyway its al up on the herdplus site

No, ours at home don't get them. Have seen them numerous times at work and it's deemed normal (I work away from home now)

No, ours at home don't get them. Have seen them numerous times at work and it's deemed normal (I work away from home now)

i suppose its a good idea it saves anyone giving out when things don't go write. if there one thing irish farmers like its to give out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭naughto

so when do i call around and pick up my prize as in the calf??i have a new

ready to collect him

i suppose its a good idea it saves anyone giving out when things don't go write. if there one thing irish farmers like its to give out:D

I hope to Jaysus that no one ahem 'l c' reads this. Ours are left year by year in the open concrete blocks (But block by block'). We pretty know much off hand but could be stumped sometimes. All are recorded in the "sacred" AI book that dates back to 1992. So we know all dams and sires of our herd. 'The Red Book' as its known sits on top of the dresser and is taken down twice a year to cover the calendar and fill in dates.
    Old style, to the last.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Right so, I saw this photo on the ''Donegal Democrat'' Facebook page (link) and I thought ye might like to see it. Not my photo, but I hope its alright to be putting it up here, because you don't see many like this :D

68291570.png

I hope to Jaysus that no one ahem 'l c' reads this. Ours are left year by year in the open concrete blocks (But block by block'). We pretty know much off hand but could be stumped sometimes. All are recorded in the "sacred" AI book that dates back to 1992. So we know all dams and sires of our herd. 'The Red Book' as its known sits on top of the dresser and is taken down twice a year to cover the calendar and fill in dates.
    Old style, to the last.:o

its good to see your embracing the computer:D we dont really record ai codes as much as we should but we always get a list of bulls used send out from the plant each year before calving. they keep records for years so its no trouble to them. the way we record the cows codes is on the icbf. were only starting ta do it in the last few years because we used to have stock bulls.

• Advertisement

its good to see your embracing the computer:D we dont really record ai codes as much as we should but we always get a list of bulls used send out from the plant each year before calving. they keep records for years so its no trouble to them. the way we record the cows codes is on the icbf. were only starting ta do it in the last few years because we used to have stock bulls.

No, according to Dad, we still need the stock filed every year online..
    So yes Dad, I will fill in the AI data and the AI time, plus GES estimate..on a book, despite me doing it online on a calendar which I sent already online.... Older generation though so cant say or do much..............except beat him at solitare:rolleyes:
    Though in saying that, we have a small herd so it's not much work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement