Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

I've just tried installing the app from the market on my zte Blade running Gingerbread.
    No issues installing it whatsoever but when I get my access code via SMS and enter it I get error message "Invalid Code. Please check the Viber code you received via SMS..."

I also clicked the link for not receiving code within 60seconds and then entered the code from the automated call and received the same error.

Anyone else have this problem?

UPDATE: I've since tried re-entering my Code and it was accepted. The app seems to load without any issue and has found one other person in my contacts who is on viber.

One issue i've found though is that when I tried to place a call the audio is routed through my phones main speaker and not the earpiece.
    This may be an issue with the ROM/Phone itself though as I know on the Modaco Blade forum people have similar issues with other VOIP/SIP applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

The icon is a constant in the icons bar, is there a way to hide it?

Otherwise flawless on my SG2

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭alanc2003

nm wrote: »
    The icon is a constant in the icons bar, is there a way to hide it?

Otherwise flawless on my SG2

In settings there is an option to turn off notifaction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

OK I have installed successfully on my SonyEricsson X8 with 2.1 stock rom.

Still having issues installing on my HTC Hero running 2.2 (FroydVillian). This is the phone+ROM that I used for BETA testing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

longshanks wrote: »
    Its killed my galaxy s. The phone has been pretty much unusable for the last 2 days. The trial version I had for the last few weeks worked fine, but as soon as the market version came out my phone went bananas. It turns itself on and off, vibrates randomly and the screen is unresponsive when it does decide to turn itself on. It was fully charged at 14:00 and needed charging again at 18:30

Interesting, mine done similar, it turned itself off and back on occasionally with Viber installed, fine since an uninstall but cant be certain it was Viber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've noticed significant battery drain on my Desire HD (running Android Revolution HD 5.1.10) since the last Viber Beta and final market version. Phone is almost dead after 10-12 hours whereas before I was getting 24 hours+

Think this really needs to be looked at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Downloaded and installed without a problem on my Xperia, I've been using it a lot over the past two days and find it pretty handy and so CHEAP! I showed a couple of friends and they are thinking of getting an android phone now :) I did however find that it drains the battery fast which is frustrating! I hope that gets sorted out fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

- About the battery drain: are you sure you isolated Viber in order to determine that this is the certain cause for your battery drain? We tested it here in our labs with several devices and except for when making a call (when it is natural for the battery to be used), we didn't notice any significant battery drain.

- Unfortunately, at least stage we decided to make Viber incompatible with HTC Hero, that's because of severe issues we experienced when developing the app on that device. We apologize :(

- About other problems raised here (having to use speaker, phone turning itself on/off etc.) - I'd like to remind again that currently we don't support custom ROMs with Viber (we might add support for *SOME* ROMs in the next several weeks). As you can see, running Viber on a customized ROM results in various side effects, some of which are severe, but unfortunately we can't afford to support ALL those ROMs at this stage. As I suggested in the past, you might want to contact the ROM developers and ask if any adaptations could be made there in order to support Viber.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Viber wrote: »
    - About the battery drain: are you sure you isolated Viber in order to determine that this is the certain cause for your battery drain? We tested it here in our labs with several devices and except for when making a call (when it is natural for the battery to be used), we didn't notice any significant battery drain.
    Well I uninstalled it last night to test and since then my battery life is back to normal....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I followed advice posted on here think it was post 117 about changing one digit of a persons number, saving then changing back for people who have viber but aren't showing up as having it. Any idea why this happens and is this something that Viber are working on? It's fine if you know who has viber but if you don't know to begin with then your hardly going to go through everyone in your contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I've noticed significant battery drain on my Desire HD (running Android Revolution HD 5.1.10) since the last Viber Beta and final market version. Phone is almost dead after 10-12 hours whereas before I was getting 24 hours+

Think this really needs to be looked at

It's probably something to do with the ROM. I'm running the stock HTC ROM 2.36.405.8. My battery life hasn't changed at all. Still getting just over 24 hours from one charge with regular use.

Maybe get in contact with mike1986 on his thread on xda and see what he has to say about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Maybe get in contact with mike1986 on his thread on xda and see what he has to say about it.
    I thought he was gone from there?

No battery issues with miui freshly squeezed on dhd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Installed Viber tonight and its working on Wifi. I am with Three and when I tried to use it without wifi, a popup says maybe its blocked by my network and it won't connect.
    Is it blocked by three?

1. There are no change logs for now, they will be added in What's New in Market soon hopefully.

2. There is a known problem with identifying Viber users. This is probably caused by the big pressure on our servers since the release to Market, several days ago. We're currently working to solve that, but in the meanwhile you can see the workaround I provided in post #117

3. @brian ireland - do you have other friends on Three who can't use Viber on 3G? If Three blocked Viber, that's very important info for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Thinking of uninstalling this now.

Besides the battery drain on my Desire running Cyanogenmod7, Viber somehow keeps reopening by itself. Annoying as it is going in to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications to Force Close it, it has just restarted by itself several times :mad:

This is the first app I've seen to do this.

Cianos wrote: »
    Thinking of uninstalling this now.

Besides the battery drain on my Desire running Cyanogenmod7, Viber somehow keeps reopening by itself. Annoying as it is going in to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications to Force Close it, it has just restarted by itself several times :mad:

This is the first app I've seen to do this.

Actually, WhatsApp do the same, but as I've already mentioned - we understood that this behavior was not accepted by users, and this is exactly why I'm here in Boards reading your comments.

We are already working on an "Exit" button for users to close the app, and that will, naturally, not result in Viber reopening itself. We expect this new feature to be release within several days from today.

However, keep in mind that closing Viber means it is not available to receive calls/texts.

Not really bothered about an exit button meself. I won't be able to receive texts or calls if its turned off sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Installed Viber tonight and its working on Wifi. I am with Three and when I tried to use it without wifi, a popup says maybe its blocked by my network and it won't connect.
    Is it blocked by three?

3. @brian ireland - do you have other friends on Three who can't use Viber on 3G? If Three blocked Viber, that's very important info for us.

Thanks for your response, I was out today and tried it again without wifi and It was perfect. Maybe it was a coverage issue yesterday. Thanks again.

seanybiker wrote: »
    Not really bothered about an exit button meself. I won't be able to receive texts or calls if its turned off sure.

It's an issue when it seems to be draining battery. Even if it isn't draining battery, it makes sense imo from a user retention point of view as those who believe it to be draining battery will want an easy way of opening/closing it, whether they're right or wrong.

Yeah suppose so. No battery drain here so that's why I wouldn't be closing but can see why others would

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 steff2go

IS Viber coming out on the mrket for HTC Wildfire? The Android-version is 2.2 that should work om Viber//Steff2go

steff2go wrote: »
    IS Viber coming out on the mrket for HTC Wildfire? The Android-version is 2.2 that should work om Viber//Steff2go

Unfortunately, at this stage we won't be supporting HTC Wildfire, and that it is because we encountered severe issues when developing Viber on it. We decided to make it unavailable for now in order not to damage users' experience and prevent frustration.

We apologize for the inconvenience :(

UPDATE: After discussing here in the company the growing demand for Viber on HTC Wildfire + HTC Hero, we decided to make them available again in Market soon!
    I'll keep you posted once this happens of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I have a Desire running Cyanogenmod 7. Installed Viber last week, has made no difference to the battery.

I have a Desire running Cyanogenmod 7. Installed Viber last week, has made no difference to the battery.

"No difference" as in it still doesn't drain battery, or as in it still does drain battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭G1032

"No difference" as in it still doesn't drain battery, or as in it still does drain battery?

I have a Galaxy S running CM7. There is NO battery drain at all from Viber.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

No battery drain.

Hmm...
    Can you think then of the reason why we do get some complaints about battery drain?
    What would make A's Android drain battery when Viber is installed (allegedly) while B's battery is just fine, with seemingly same conditions, same device, same Android version?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭G1032

Hmm...
    Can you think then of the reason why we do get some complaints about battery drain?
    What would make A's Android drain battery when Viber is installed (allegedly) while B's battery is just fine, with seemingly same conditions, same device, same Android version?

There is no battery drain. My guess is that they are imagining battery drain....................or it's another app causing the battery drain

G1032 wrote: »
    There is no battery drain. My guess is that they are imagining battery drain....................or it's another app causing the battery drain

What are you basing this on?

@Viber, you've tested the effect on battery in your labs on various phones, but how many real-world users are reporting battery drain? Only in this thread, or in other places as well?

In my own experience, I installed Viber and left it on for the day. I had no other new apps installed. By early evening my phone was almost depleted, with very little usage, when usually the phone would easily get through the entire day.

fwiw, I'll leave Viber running again today and see how it affects the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Cianos wrote: »
    What are you basing this on?

@Viber, you've tested the effect on battery in your labs on various phones, but how many real-world users are reporting battery drain? Only in this thread, or in other places as well?

In my own experience, I installed Viber and left it on for the day. I had no other new apps installed. By early evening my phone was almost depleted, with very little usage, when usually the phone would easily get through the entire day.

fwiw, I'll leave Viber running again today and see how it affects the battery.

Could you install a battery monitor to check out the drain?
    I spotted one in the XDA forum a few days ago that monitored processes and wakelocks and all sorts - maybe that will tell you what it is that's draining the battery
    I cant find the link at the moment will post if I find it ASAP

OK
    Found Link
    http://androidnerds.net/2011/07/23/tune-your-android%e2%80%99s-battery-life-with-betterbatterystats/#more-6751

Advertisement