Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

All,

Yes, we are aware of the problems with yesterday's invitations.

We are currently working to find the source of the problem, but our focus is on the real solution for the problem - releasing a public version of the Beta very VERY soon (could also be a few days)!!!

We ask for your last bit of patience, and then it will finally appear in Market! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Viber wrote: »
    All,

Yes, we are aware of the problems with yesterday's invitations.

We are currently working to find the source of the problem, but our focus is on the real solution for the problem - releasing a public version of the Beta very VERY soon (could also be a few days)!!!

We ask for your last bit of patience, and then it will finally appear in Market! :)

You are aware of the problems!!!

I would say you won't have to look too hard to find the source ( :

Just another thing.

The only way to stop your sh11ty app running on my device is to Force Close.....

why don't you work on a solution to that...

I just ran out of my "last bit of patience"...

@irishpancake

This is the second forum where you post this harsh criticism, but I'll reply again:

I understand your frustration, but you are probably not aware of the complexities that might arise while dealing with tens of thousands of beta testers.

We are working hard to fix and develop the app, even though it's at its Beta stage only (!). We apologize for the inconvenience, but if you think so badly of the app and its developers, maybe you shouldn't bother joining 2 different forums and contacting me very rudely.

As I said, within a few days the app will be public in Market.

@irishpancake

This is the second forum where you post this harsh criticism, but I'll reply again:

I understand your frustration, but you are probably not aware of the complexities that might arise while dealing with tens of thousands of beta testers.

We are working hard to fix and develop the app, even though it's at its Beta stage only (!). We apologize for the inconvenience, but if you think so badly of the app and its developers, maybe you shouldn't bother joining 2 different forums and contacting me very rudely.

As I said, within a few days the app will be public in Market.

You can post on two Forums, at least, so can I:

Excuse me, where did I contact you, rudely or otherwise.......:confused:

And where do you get the idea that I joined XDA or Boards to specifically criticize Viber, or you personally :confused:

FYI, I have been a member of boards.ie since 2003.....

XDA more recently, as I just acquired an Android device last March!!!!

at the ripe olde age of 57 :D

I am also on Modaco, Android Forums, and more......got too much time on my hands, for reasons I won't go into here....not in prison :p

But, it's not OK for me to be on two Boards, pointing out exactly what happened, following on your, that is Viber's, e-mail invitation to become a Beta Tester for your App......

I think you need to withdraw that remark.

(BTW, I do apologize for the use of bad language, hope you forgive me, should know better).

I know it's a good App, and my son has it on iPhone, hence my interest.....he won't, or can't use CSipSimple, my preferred VOIP.

But, Viber must be Force Closed, on my device, as there is no other way to exit the App....this is true!!!

Also, I will probably be using Android's Native VOIP soon, when I move onto Gingerbread(2.3)

But, it is OK for you, Viber/Viber Team, to be on Boards/XDA, etc, etc.

Also, perhaps you can explain who now has the harvested Cellphone/Mobile Numbers, which were gathered during the abortive process yesterday.

Will Viber be contacting those who gave their personal information yesterday, including name, e-mail address, cell phone numbers, Device, Android Version, Country of residence, to assure those people that their personal information is indeed safe.

That is a lot of information, for which nothing was given in return.

Or do we have to contact the Data Information Commissioners in various Countries to ensure that this is indeed the case.

This information goes into our servers for functional, automated purposes only (i.e sending you invitations, codes, etc.)

The info is inaccessible to anyone, and no other use of it is made (e.g we DO NOT sell it, we DO NOT deliver it to 3rd-party companies, etc.). Read our Privacy Policy, all the information you're looking for is there.

• Advertisement

This information goes into our servers for functional, automated purposes only (i.e sending you invitations, codes, etc.)

The info is inaccessible to anyone, and no other use of it is made (e.g we DO NOT sell it, we DO NOT deliver it to 3rd-party companies, etc.). Read our Privacy Policy, all the information you're looking for is there.

Oh those Servers....sending invitations??? just like yesterday....a lot happier now.. :rolleyes:

Usually Privacy Policy will apply when you actually have the service you gave the information in return for, no....

However

You still need to withdraw your remarks about me, or I will report you to site admin.
    maybe you shouldn't bother joining 2 different forums and contacting me very rudely.

I would appreciate that, you cannot say untrue things about people here, unless you have evidence to support what you have said......

I did not join two forums for the purpose you suggested, or contact you personally, by PM, or otherwise.

Please have the good grace to correct the record.

It is important for me, to preserve the reputation of over 8 years here on Boards!!!!

I take back those two remarks about you, and apologize if you found them offensive, that wasn't my meaning.

At any rate - feel free to still ask me anything you'd like about Viber.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Jeeez dude relax. Can’t see why you are getting so wound up over a vendor on a forum. The fact is 99% of other companies/vendors/developers do not interact with the user base at all except in small private text groups. The fact that Viber do make the effort to go out there to the wider community and try to answer peoples questions as best they can is pretty dam impressive. I’m not sure how must you know about software development & testing, software companies and customer interaction – but he’s doing a very good job in my experience. It was me who brought him on here in the first place months ago and he’s tried to keep us up to date but as anyone in the industry knows well; things go wrong, sh1t changes, not all promises can be fulfilled 100% of the time, and you just have to deal with it.

Fingers crossed the app will be release on the app store soon – but Viber will probably be correctly cautious about not releasing it sooner than it is ready.

Thanks Zascar......:D

I appreciate that Viber has withdrawn the remarks made.

It is just a matter of setting the record straight, and I appreciate he/she says they were not meant as they were written.

But surely it is valid to question some issues? Is that not what Boards is meant to be, a discussion forum??

I am pretty au fait with s/w development and testing, having worked for over 30 years in a related industry(Telco)....

I think I over-reacted initially, in my description of the App, which does appear to be very good, at least on iPhone, which I did indicate....my son has it, and is continuously ribbing me, in a humorous way, about it's non-availability on Android,

ya know how kids can be.....

he is only 30, after all...:p

Matter closed, as far as I am concerned...and I do appreciate the fact that the Viber Team are here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ah yeah I remember when I initially got a sniff of a beta tester account from Viber I was foaming at the mouth to get my hands on it. Same as you registered loads of times but it did not work and I was raging. I was very excited when i initally got it - however since them i have barely use the thing hahaha. Typical!

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    Ah yeah I remember when I initially got a sniff of a beta tester account from Viber I was foaming at the mouth to get my hands on it. Same as you registered loads of times but it did not work and I was raging. I was very excited when i initally got it - however since them i have barely use the thing hahaha. Typical!

Yeah...agreed

But, this one, Viber, would be genuinely useful for me, free VOIP calls to the young fella, so I will probably get the Open Beta when it eventually goes public.

As the Yanks say, vote with your pocketbook, even though it will cost my previous employers :D

And, thanks again to Viber Team, etc, for taking the time to respond :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Zascar wrote: »

I'm the same. Got it, made one call. Never opened it again. I'm such a good tester. :P

*In fairness, only one of my contacts had viber.

Well, when the Beta version goes public, this will certainly change.
    We expect tens of thousands of new Android users to register with Viber daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

I got the invite yesterday but the same as the others it just sent me around in a loop back to the sign up page. Also had to force close the app so it's uninstalled for now, I'll install the public beta when it's out

Ah in fairness I have used it a good few time just no nearly as much as I thought I would. Here was me thinking that anyone who had viber (about 50 of my contacts so far) I would not longer text or call them - but use viber instead. It does not really pan out that way though. I think it will change though, slowly people will begin to shift. Many people have smartphone now but its going to be a while before the vast majority do. When that happens it will be different

To be honest - also I don't have ALL my contacts registered to Viber. Not even a quarter of them. But I do use Viber with those who do have it. And why shouldn't I really?
    When it's possible, even if it's rare, I choose not paying instead of paying :)

For people overseas its absolutely fantastic to avoid huge long distance calls - and because its on your phone its even easier than using skype on your pc as was the previous norm (yes I know skype is on phones too but its rubbish),

What I think would be nice, if it was possible to see, even before sending a message or making a call, who in your list is online, connected and available. I find it frustrating if I send a message and they are not logged in and they only get your message hours later, but you end up sending a normal text after anyway if you don't get the little tick within a few seconds...

Oh also, Viber are you worried about Facebook's partnership with Skype?

That's a known user request - having an "online-indicator". It will most likely be implemented in our next big version - Viber 2.1 - but we don't have dates yet.

For now, use the existing indicators:
    For calls, you know the other party is connected to the internet and received the call if it says "Ringing.." and not "Calling.."
    For texts, you know the other party is connected to the internet and received the message if you see a little "V" sign next to your sent message.

And no, we're not worried about their partnership. I think the service we provide (especially when it comes to GUI, easy interface, quality of call and number-as-an-identifier feature) make Viber quite different from Skype in its very core. We take care of our users, they take care of theirs. We live in peace :)

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to announce that our Beta version of Viber-for-Android is FINALLY public, and now appears in Market for all to download!
    The version itself is slightly more updated than the previous one (mostly bug fixes), so we highly recommend everyone to download and install it.

Important: those of you who were testing our Beta (after getting the invitations) will have to uninstall Viber, and only then install the Market version. Thank you!

As usual, I'll be here for your questions, suggestions, bug reports or anything else really :)

Thanks,
    Viber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Great news :-) See it in Market but is not asking em to update??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Wow, I'm really impressed with Viber's presence on Boards... Are you based in Ireland or have a connection here?

Great app BTW

@madmoe - Market won't ask you to update. You need to delete your current version of Viber , and "clean-install" Viber from Market.

@Bluefoam - thanks for the kind words! No, we are not based in Ireland, but we have tons of Irish users. So our presence here is accordingly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

heard a lot about this and been following thread.
    hoping to use this to get around the roaming fees with northern and southern ireland.
    looking forward to using it
    good luck with release

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    heard a lot about this and been following thread.
    hoping to use this to get around the roaming fees with northern and southern ireland.
    looking forward to using it
    good luck with release

Dont forget that you need to have a data connection to use Viber... so unless you are on WiFi or have a SIM for up north then you will be charged data roaming... which isnt very expensive but still not free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Glad to have downloaded Viber at last :)

I'd say around 10% of my contacts are on Viber. Hopefully that'll grow.

What is the potential for integrating the Viber icon with the likes of Go Contacts? I'd much prefer to be able to make a Viber call through my regular Contacts app rather than having to first check the Viber list.

Looking forward to more updates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Got a message from Viber on my Viber app informing me that it's now available on the market.

This is good news and thanks for the heads up! I hate having to manually update apps that are not available on the market, like Spotify!

I notice that the market version is still a beta. Are you going to lose the beta tag anytime soon? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I intalled this, while trying to figure out how to get rid of the phone in the top right corner of my screen I accidently (from inside the app) uninstalled it, when I went to re-install I can never get the sms, when I try to get an automatic call from Viber nothing happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

My girlfriend tried to download this and it says her phone isn't compatible with it.

Her phone is a Samsung Galaxy Europa, 2.2 with 02 UK.

Is it because she is in the UK? Is it not out in the UK yet?

• Advertisement

- Viber does appear in the regular contact app, but really show any indication whether or not that user has Viber. Unfortunately, at this stage it is not possible for us to integrate Viber into regular contact apps so deeply as to check whether or not that user has Viber, so either remembering or simply calling through Viber is required for now

- Viber is stil Beta, and will lose the "beta" tag after all our testing and fixing is done. No estimates yet, but more updates will still come in.

@Nolimits - use the same code as the last time (unless you deactivated). If it doesn't work, it's probably a spam-blocker that won't let people register too many times consecutively, and you'll have to wait 24 hours before registering again.

@harpstilidie - we'll look into it, it should be compatible (as after all it is samsung galaxy with Android).

Advertisement