Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Just downloaded it and it took all of about 30 seconds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Cianos wrote: »
    I had it running for most of the day but it seemed to suck the battery a fair bit. I was barely using the phone throughout the day, yet it died around 8pm. This isn't normal for me. It may have been because I was in an area with low signal - maybe the phone trying to get a signal/losing signal causes battery drain?

Anyway, I think it'd be good to give an in-app option for exiting. I only presume you don't have it because you want to maximise the amount of time people have it running? I'd rather be able to quickly open it and quickly close it than have to open it, probably not be able to make a phone call using Viber as my friends don't have it yet, kill it via application manager, and then next time probably not be bothered and just use the regular phone instead.

Noticed big battery drain myself until I force closed it and it appeared to return to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

Answers:

@neacy69 - about your Xperia and Hero, and a general message to all people whose devices appeared as "incompatible with Viber", or didn't show up in Market - we are aware of this problem and working to fix it soon. Please stay tuned. We hope that Viber will appear in all Market lists today or tomorrow.

@draffodx - de-registering from server means Viber won't work (it'll just sit there doing nothing on your Android). If you mean that you want to deactivate Viber (thus removing your account completely) then yes - you can do it through Viber's settings.

@mawk and all - customized ROMs might be problematic with Viber, because at this stage of the Beta we announced that we won't be developing support for every random customized ROM out there. We might focus on the most famous ones in the future, but as for the other ROMS - I suggest to contact the ROM developers on the various forums online and ask them to adapt to Viber.

@harpstilidie - we've just managed to find Viber from i5500's Market. Please reboot your phone, clean your cache, and try again. At any rate - as I mentioned, we're working on a fix for the Market issue (suffered by people with other devices as well), and it will hopefully be ready today/tomorrow.

About battery consumption issues - we've thoroughly tested Viber with different devices in our labs. Sure, if Viber makes a long call, it'll use up battery just like it would with a regular cellular call on your Android, but we didn't see any special issues with battery drain caused by Viber. Reboot your phone and try to isolate Viber, and test it again please.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

For the Galaxy 5 users Viber can now be installed from market :D

Nick

All,

After the launch of Viber for Android to Market, we had some temporary issue with incompatibility with some devices. This should be fixed now - please reboot your phones and search for Viber in your Markets again.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Viber wrote: »
    All,

After the launch of Viber for Android to Market, we had some temporary issue with incompatibility with some devices. This should be fixed now - please reboot your phones and search for Viber in your Markets again.

Thanks!

still nothing for viber on htc wildfire

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Smurts

Graet app! Quick quetsion - Is it possible to set up two numbers on the one phone ie. for an english and Irish numebr from the one phone (and one sim)?

@hawkwind23 - unfortunately, with HTC Wildfire being quite old, there is not much we can do to make it compatible with it. Previous attempts of ours to adapt it to Wildfire in a satisfying way failed, and so it will unfortunately not be available on Wildfire :(

@Smurts - I'm not sure I understand what you mean... you want one Viber account for 2 different devices, holding the same SIM card?

No I mean from the one phone - I have an english sim in my phone but I have registered my irish number with viber on this phone so that those who have my irsih number can contact me - is there a way that my contacts who only have my english number be able to see I am on viber? ( I would need to set up viber under my english number for this to happen but cant set up two numbers on the one phone?)

Sorry, Im as clear as mud I'd say!

I see now.
    Unfortunately this option does not exist - only 1 Viber number can be assigned per one phone.

What I would suggest for you to do is to have your friends save both numbers as "Smurts1" and "Smurts2", and call the second one if you don't pick up on the first try.

We are planning an "online indicator" in the future, and that will help them know which of the two number is online, making the process much more convenient.

• Advertisement

@hawkwind23 - unfortunately, with HTC Wildfire being quite old, there is not much we can do to make it compatible with it. Previous attempts of ours to adapt it to Wildfire in a satisfying way failed, and so it will unfortunately not be available on Wildfire :(

@Smurts - I'm not sure I understand what you mean... you want one Viber account for 2 different devices, holding the same SIM card?

are you sure about the wildfire , i only got it six months ago and its still heavily advertised with the new S version not long out.
    is it compatable with the S version of wildfire.
    it was on the market yesterday and installed and seemed to work ok , didnt make any calls though.
    ah well , doesnt look like its gonna work so

We had such severe problems testing Viber on Wildfire (and as far as we know it's not only Viber, it's other VoIP apps as well), that we decided to not put it up on Market for now.

Give me your exact Wildfire device model and I'll see what I can do with our developers.

We had such severe problems testing Viber on Wildfire (and as far as we know it's not only Viber, it's other VoIP apps as well), that we decided to not put it up on Market for now.

Give me your exact Wildfire device model and I'll see what I can do with our developers.

hi not sure what details you need , let me know if im missing anything.

HTC WILDFIRE A3333
    ANDROID 2.2.1

i did install this yesterday morning and it seemed to work ok.
    i know a lot of apps wont work with wildfire due to the screen differences i think.
    sure ill keep an eye on the market and this thread in the meantime
    thanks

Cheers for the reply Viber, will try that suggestion so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Installed yesterday, looks great so far. As far as battery usage when the service is running in the background I don't notice anything, I checked using OS monitor and the CPU load from Viber is 0% so I doubt it is sucking the battery (HTC Desire).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Forr peeps who don't like the idea of Viber Autostart/Selfstart, without having to continuously Force Close, and cope with reported Battery Drain, the options I would recommend are:

1) Use Gemini App Manager..free from Market. When used on a rooted phone, in Expert Mode, you can disable all the self-start and auto-starts in Viber, and other Apps.

Much better than Autorun Manager ...requires you to pay(donate) for the full version and only allows disable of 2 receivers max....not enough.

2). If you have Titanium Backup, paid version, you can Freeze the App.

Perhaps, the Viber Team will eventually allow Android users to exit this App, from within the App itself?

Also, maybe they will look again at the sound routing issue with Custom ROM's, like the ZTE Blade/Orange San Fran....

I would say there are very few users UK/Ireland, still with original Orange branding and Eclair Stock ROM.....

This is one of the most popular low/medium end phones, as can be seen from the very busy Modaco Forum, where new ROM updates are being produced almost daily.

The 2 issues are being discussed in our company these days:

- Adding an exit button
    - Deciding which customized ROMs we plan to support (to some extent)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Thanks Viber, working on her phone now.

I think you should support Swedish Spring 2.2 on the Blade ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Thanks for a decent app Viber, great intergration into the phone, but wont be reinstalling until the exit button makes an appearance.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I installed this yesterday with no issues, and my list of contacts shows up seom people who had viber installed already. A friend of mine then installed it on his uk phone, and his contact showed up under the viber contact tab as expected.

However, today I got another friend of mine to install viber on his uk iphone as I noted he didn't already have it installed. He can see me on his list, he can ring me viber to viber, and I can ring him using viber from the call log list. However, his number does not show up on my contact list as viber, and when I go his name on the overall contact list, it says he does not have viber installed, even though I was just usnig it to talk to him.

Has anyone else experienced this? He has an iphone 4, and I have a HTC Desire running stock 2.2, build number 2.29.405.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

5starpool wrote: »
    I installed this yesterday with no issues, and my list of contacts shows up seom people who had viber installed already. A friend of mine then installed it on his uk phone, and his contact showed up under the viber contact tab as expected.

However, today I got another friend of mine to install viber on his uk iphone as I noted he didn't already have it installed. He can see me on his list, he can ring me viber to viber, and I can ring him using viber from the call log list. However, his number does not show up on my contact list as viber, and when I go his name on the overall contact list, it says he does not have viber installed, even though I was just usnig it to talk to him.

Has anyone else experienced this? He has an iphone 4, and I have a HTC Desire running stock 2.2, build number 2.29.405.5

If you goto your contacts list and press on the Menu button there should be an "Update contacts", have you tried that ? i have it on my SGS... have you rebooted your phone too ? i wonder whether that will trigger an Update contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Is there a changelog available? I see an update in the Android Market for version 110519, but I don't see a list of what's changed?

Will Viber work on HTC Hero with Android 2.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

- Adding an exit button

I posted about significant battery drain a few posts above. fyi, I'm running Cyanogenmod7

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

- Adding an exit button

I have a Zte Blade running Japanese Jellyfish RLS9. When i make or recieve a call you can only use loudspeaker. I think irishpancake is having the same trouble. If you could sort that it would be great.

Also on the my Blade whenever the screen sleeps my wifi turns off. Does that mean that i cant recieve a call. If so what are people doing to get round this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It works over 3G too so as long as that is still active you are fine

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

5starpool wrote: »

I am having the same problem. My wife and I both have HTC Desires running stock 2.2, build number 2.29.405.5. I installed Viber on both phones yesterday and today her Viber contact no longer shows up on my phone. I've updated Contacts as per samhail's post of 1620 today Thurs Jul 21, to no effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Zascar wrote: »
    It works over 3G too so as long as that is still active you are fine

Just change Wi-Fi sleep policy to "never"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Its killed my galaxy s. The phone has been pretty much unusable for the last 2 days. The trial version I had for the last few weeks worked fine, but as soon as the market version came out my phone went bananas. It turns itself on and off, vibrates randomly and the screen is unresponsive when it does decide to turn itself on. It was fully charged at 14:00 and needed charging again at 18:30

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

I assume you all mean that your VIBER contacts are all gone, yes?

Enter Viber and find a person you know has Viber in the "All" contact list. Enter his details, change a digit, save and exit. Then enter his contact again, change the digit back (to the original, correct number), save and exit. Wait about 10 minutes and see if he's recognized as a Viber user now.

If it doesn't work, please try manually dialing the number in its FULL format (including the "+" sign, the country code, area code, etc.)

Update: I followed the above instruction on post #117 and the missing Viber contact is now showing up in my Viber contact list. I did not have to wait 10 mins: it turned up pretty well immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

samhail wrote: »
    If you goto your contacts list and press on the Menu button there should be an "Update contacts", have you tried that ? i have it on my SGS... have you rebooted your phone too ? i wonder whether that will trigger an Update contacts

Ya I had tried both of those things. Just odd

Advertisement