Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Viber wrote: »
    - Viber does appear in the regular contact app, but really show any indication whether or not that user has Viber. Unfortunately, at this stage it is not possible for us to integrate Viber into regular contact apps so deeply as to check whether or not that user has Viber, so either remembering or simply calling through Viber is required for now

- Viber is stil Beta, and will lose the "beta" tag after all our testing and fixing is done. No estimates yet, but more updates will still come in.

@Nolimits - use the same code as the last time (unless you deactivated). If it doesn't work, it's probably a spam-blocker that won't let people register too many times consecutively, and you'll have to wait 24 hours before registering again.

@harpstilidie - we'll look into it, it should be compatible (as after all it is samsung galaxy with Android).
    Yep I deactivatived, the anti spam thing would make sense, I'll try again tomorrow, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The Europa only has a QVGA screen.
    Could this be a problem?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I've done a search in the market for 'viber', but I can't see it? Is it called something else?

Edit: Never mind, found it in the communications category, under Just In. Strange that search didn't find it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Hi Viber, you well, a chara!!

OK, got the app from Market, installed OK, got the SMS Activation.....made my first call, WiFi.....

But, and this is something which seems to happen with other VOIP/SIP clients, except CSip....sound routed to Speaker, regardless of Speaker On or Off selected.

Sound Quality my end pretty good, AFAICT, but other/far end, using iPhone 4, delay, echo, not good....must be the iPhone :D:D

ZTE Blade(Orange San Fran), Gen 2, running Swedish Spring 5 (Android FroYo 2.2) Custom ROM.

I think there is a fix, on Modaco, for the routing, which works for Skype, and other clients, will check it out, and let you know, through this channel, or where-ever you suggest

Thanks to you and the team for coming through so quickly. Appreciated!!

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Hi Viber, you well, a chara!!

OK, got the app from Market, installed OK, got the SMS Activation.....made my first call, WiFi.....

But, and this is something which seems to happen with other VOIP/SIP clients, except CSip....sound routed to speaker, regardless of Speaker On or Off selected.

Sound Quality my end pretty good, AFAICT, but other/far end, using iPhone 4, delay, echo, not good....must be the iPhone :D:D

ZTE Blade(Orange San Fran), Gen 2, running Swedish Spring 5 (Android FroYo 2.2) Custom ROM.

I think there is a fix, on Modaco, for the routing, which works for Skype, and other clients, will check it out, and let you know, through this channel, or where-ever you suggest

Thanks to you and the team for coming through so quickly. Appreciated!!

Danny

I had the same problem, rang my brother also, both on wifi, with ZTE Blade, 2.2 and the call quality was very poor. Echoey and big delays.

And the call stayed on speaker regardless of pressing the speaker button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

not sure if this would be related but problem only happened after install.....

viber all seemed to work fine but google plus was affected.
    only the huddle feature , a chat function.

would there be an issue with settings there....

what i am going to do is a pesky factory reset and try again , if the problem occurs again ill forward you the information.

using wildfire latest android.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

@Mega Chin - if the QVGA screen doesn't affect other apps, it shouldn't particularly affect Viber's recognition of the device.

@irishpancake and @harpstilidie - Many (many) times, customized ROMs are the very source of such problems. Unfortunately, we couldn't provide support of Viber to ALL customized ROMs out there. I would highly appreciate if you could test it with the same device and Android version, just with the standard stock ROM, so we could pinpoint the source of the problem.

And by the way - how popular is ZTE Blade?

@hawkwind23 - please inform me of the results after you test it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

True but if the app isnt marked as being compatible with QVGA screens then it wont be shown to those devices in the market or wont be marked as compatible on the web market.

Mega Chin wrote: »
    True but if the app isnt marked as being compatible with QVGA screens then it wont be shown to those devices in the market or wont be marked as compatible on the web market.

The incompatibility error message is derived from within Viber, not Market.
    As I said, we'll look into and see what we can do about it. If we have any news we'll post them here or on our FB page.

EDIT: seems as though you are actually right. Viber doesn't appear on Market and that's the very REASON why it shows the "incompatible" message. Trying to find a solution right now.

@Mega Chin - if the QVGA screen doesn't affect other apps, it shouldn't particularly affect Viber's recognition of the device.

@irishpancake and @harpstilidie - Many (many) times, customized ROMs are the very source of such problems. Unfortunately, we couldn't provide support of Viber to ALL customized ROMs out there. I would highly appreciate if you could test it with the same device and Android version, just with the standard stock ROM, so we could pinpoint the source of the problem.

And by the way - how popular is ZTE Blade?

@hawkwind23 - please inform me of the results after you test it again.

Hi again

how popular is ZTE Blade?

Just as you can see above, on Modaco, the biggest Device-specific Android forum, by far.....6822 Topics/123,882 Replies.

Huge user base, under various Brands, in UK/Europe/US.

Custom ROM's necessary, as Stock in UK was market with so much Orange Bloatware, and was Eclair 2.1. In other Markets, like Europe, it has FroYo as Stock.

I not going back to Stock, sorry, I am going to 2.3.....maybe there is a generic fix for SIP/VOIP, think there may be in CyanogenMod (2.3 Gingerbread). GSF (2.3) has native client, I know this much.....

So, ZTE Blade should not be ignored, even Skype fixed to facilitate users.

Edit, there are numerous Google Code Issues relating to much the same issue, Sound routing, these refer to SipDroid, but it is present for most Clients, possibly related, as you say, to Customised ROM's.....but CSipSimple fixed it!!!!

http://code.google.com/p/sipdroid/issues/detail?id=341

http://code.google.com/p/sipdroid/issues/detail?id=366

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Is there a way to shutdown and exit Viber and remove it from my notification area?

(Apart from Force Stop in Applications)

Remove it from notification bar - through Viber's Settings.
    Shut down - only by Force Killing it.

Hi again

how popular is ZTE Blade?

Just as you can see above, on Modaco, the biggest Device-specific Android forum, by far.....6822 Topics/123,882 Replies.

Huge user base, under various Brands, in UK/Europe/US.

Custom ROM's necessary, as Stock in UK was market with so much Orange Bloatware, and was Eclair 2.1. In other Markets, like Europe, it has FroYo as Stock.

I not going back to Stock, sorry, I am going to 2.3.....maybe there is a generic fix for SIP/VOIP, think there may be in CyanogenMod (2.3 Gingerbread). GSF (2.3) has native client, I know this much.....

So, ZTE Blade should not be ignored, even Skype fixed to facilitate users.

Edit, there are numerous Google Code Issues relating to much the same issue, Sound routing, these refer to SipDroid, but it is present for most Clients, possibly related, as you say, to Customised ROM's.....but CSipSimple fixed it!!!!

http://code.google.com/p/sipdroid/issues/detail?id=341

http://code.google.com/p/sipdroid/issues/detail?id=366

Does it not work on a ZTE Blade custom ROM then?

My girlfriend tried to download this and it says her phone isn't compatible with it.

Her phone is a Samsung Galaxy Europa, 2.2 with 02 UK.

Is it because she is in the UK? Is it not out in the UK yet?

Can you give me the exact model type of her Galaxy Europa?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

According to the market its not compatible with either of my devices?

I an using a

HTC hero: Android 2.2.1 (custom ROM) this is the phone+ROM that I was using for beta testing#

Sony Ericsson X8: Stock 2.1 ROM

Any ideas why I cant use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Remove it from notification bar - through Viber's Settings.
    Shut down - only by Force Killing it.

There's no option to de-register from the server?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Just downloaded and got a friend to do same. Both galaxy s i9000. I'm using darky's 10.1 he is on cyanomod. He can dial me and hear me but I can't hear him. And if I dial him it just keeps saying dialling and never does anything.

Can you give me the exact model type of her Galaxy Europa?
    Thanks.

It's a GT-I 5500. Thanks.

Does it not work on a ZTE Blade custom ROM then?

D'ya mean Viber???

Sure you used it yerself, on Blade?? I thought you said??

It works.....but there is a problem with routing sound, on Custom ROM, I'm on SS5/Gen2/Froyo Blade......this is a known issue, which has been fixed by using customised Skype or CsipSimple.....(just set up with Blueface free SIP, or some other one)

but it's hard to find compatible apps for both Android and iPhone, SIP clients work well on iPhone, but iPhone ppl are lazy and snobby....:D JOKE...OK :D

D'ya mean Viber???

Sure you used it yerself, on Blade?? I thought you said??

It works.....but there is a problem with routing sound, on Custom ROM, I'm on SS5/Gen2/Froyo Blade......this is a known issue, which has been fixed by using customised Skype or CsipSimple.....(just set up with Blueface free SIP, or some other one)

but it's hard to find compatible apps for both Android and iPhone, SIP clients work well on iPhone, but iPhone ppl are lazy and snobby....:D JOKE...OK :D

I did use it but the sound quality was terrible, echo and delay. I mean will it ever work properly? How do you get around the poor sound quality? Thanks.

• Advertisement

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    not sure if this would be related but problem only happened after install.....

viber all seemed to work fine but google plus was affected.
    only the huddle feature , a chat function.

would there be an issue with settings there....

what i am going to do is a pesky factory reset and try again , if the problem occurs again ill forward you the information.

using wildfire latest android.

managed to solve my problem , it wasnt the viber app that caused it.
    with googleplus , the chat feature conflicts with gmail and googlemail suffixs and that was the problem.
    took me all day to figure that out so now ill try see if i can get viber to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I have it since first beta release b ut some of my friends cant download it cos it says its incompatible. Im uploading the apk anyways because sometimes they work even if it says incompatible.

This unable to exit app without Force Close, and Self Start/Auto Start is a deal breaker........

I want to keep it, for future reference, but don't want it self or auto starting.

Either Freeze with Titannium Backup, which is a paid-for feature, or use this app...Gemini App Manager for free from Market.

It is a bit of a learning curve, but it gives you the full range of options regaring how your apps behave, as you want them.....use Expert Mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Don't bank on it, see my post above, and Vibers earlier reply.....:(

Mine is installed and working fine. Hope you get yours sorted

GBX wrote: »
    Mine is installed and working fine. Hope you get yours sorted

Yup, they got it out quick in the end :o

Installs, works, but probs with routing of sound, via speaker, can't be disabled.

Needs fix, due to customised ROM known issue with ZTE Blade and some VOIP/SIP.

Also, Echo cancellation and delay probs over good WiFi.

You able to exit/stop and/or prevent autorun/self start at re-boot?

Glad yours OK.

What device you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Viber appears to be wiring very well on my HTC Desire. The UI is very tidy and looks well. All calls to land-lines and mobiles with Viber worked well, and were clear for caller and receiver. Impressive so far.

seems to be off the market now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I had it running for most of the day but it seemed to suck the battery a fair bit. I was barely using the phone throughout the day, yet it died around 8pm. This isn't normal for me. It may have been because I was in an area with low signal - maybe the phone trying to get a signal/losing signal causes battery drain?

Anyway, I think it'd be good to give an in-app option for exiting. I only presume you don't have it because you want to maximise the amount of time people have it running? I'd rather be able to quickly open it and quickly close it than have to open it, probably not be able to make a phone call using Viber as my friends don't have it yet, kill it via application manager, and then next time probably not be bothered and just use the regular phone instead.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Anyone able to upload the apk? Cheers

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I downloaded mine at about 7am this morning. Was very excited using it. Very clear voice calls :)

I did however have some trouble trying to download it onto a customers GS II today. I'm guessing the sheer amount of people downloading it must be causing it not to successfully download from the store?

Advertisement