Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Hi

I'm testing it on Vodafone 858 (Smart).
    It shows as incompatible on android market but I googled apk file and it works fine.

Version 2.0.110292 beta.

Tom

Thats strange, it installed fine on my wifes 858 from the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Hi

I just check and to my surprise it was compatible with my phone.

I can swear that it wasn't compatible last week.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

installed on my Orange San Francisco but all sound is coming through the speaker only. I had the same problem with Skype and some SIP clients on several different ROMs - its obviously an Android/ZTE bug.

Theres a discussion on Modaco about it here - some users have managed to patch Skype to fix the bug, perhaps Viber could do something similar (there are a lot of OSF users out there - look at the thread on this forum dedicated to it).

also - my wife isn't showing up on my contacts list even though she has called me on Viber several times. Other contacts show up fine.

right - now I've had to uninstall it. every single call I tried to make on the phone was trying to go through Viber & I could not find a way to disable this behaviour. the only way I could make a standard GSM call was to uninstall the app.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    also - my wife isn't showing up on my contacts list even though she has called me on Viber several times. Other contacts show up fine.

Had that problem too, gave up on it for now, love the idea of Viber, just not the execution just yet. Think it will get there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

right - now I've had to uninstall it. every single call I tried to make on the phone was trying to go through Viber & I could not find a way to disable this behaviour. the only way I could make a standard GSM call was to uninstall the app.

I imagine it must have been set as the default dialer by accident, this can be cleared by going into settings > applications > manage applications > select viber and then clear it's defaults

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

@somebody_else - We made many devices compatible again several days ago. By the way - which original phone is Vodafone 858 smart phone based on? Or it's a whole different device manufactured solely for Vodafone?

@loyatemu - There is a known issue with identifying Viber contacts and we're working to fix that. In the meanwhile, please try this workaround:

Enter Viber and find a person you know has Viber in the "All" contact list. Enter his details, change a digit, save and exit. Then enter his contact again, change the digit back (to the original, correct number), save and exit. Wait about 10 minutes and see if he's recognized as a Viber user now.

If it doesn't work, please try manually dialing the number in its FULL format (including the "+" sign, the country code, area code, etc.)

And as mentioned above, it really sounds as if Viber was set in Android as your default dialer. You can change it in settings, but remember that if you call 'regular' numbers through Viber (to people who don't have Viber installed), it will simply make a regular, cellular call, so it's essentially the same as keeping the native phone app.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Mines after joining a few contacts where the viber number listed is nothing like the contacts actual number :/
    Anyone else come across this?

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Mines after joining a few contacts where the viber number listed is nothing like the contacts actual number :/
    Anyone else come across this?

We've never encountered such a problem.
    I'm guessing the numbers aren't simply "made up" - if anything, numbers of different contacts were written there by mistake.

Can you identify a pattern?

• Advertisement

Viber wrote: »
    @loyatemu - There is a known issue with identifying Viber contacts and we're working to fix that. In the meanwhile, please try this workaround:

Enter Viber and find a person you know has Viber in the "All" contact list. Enter his details, change a digit, save and exit. Then enter his contact again, change the digit back (to the original, correct number), save and exit. Wait about 10 minutes and see if he's recognized as a Viber user now.

If it doesn't work, please try manually dialing the number in its FULL format (including the "+" sign, the country code, area code, etc.)

And as mentioned above, it really sounds as if Viber was set in Android as your default dialer. You can change it in settings, but remember that if you call 'regular' numbers through Viber (to people who don't have Viber installed), it will simply make a regular, cellular call, so it's essentially the same as keeping the native phone app.

ok cheers - TBH until the VOIP speakerphone problem on the OSF is sorted (I believe it may be fixed in cyanogen ROMs) I'll have to give viber a miss.

ok cheers - TBH until the VOIP speakerphone problem on the OSF is sorted (I believe it may be fixed in cyanogen ROMs) I'll have to give viber a miss.

Try contacting Cyanogen developers to speed this up.
    They might not be aware of these collisions at all.

@somebody_else - We made many devices compatible again several days ago. By the way - which original phone is Vodafone 858 smart phone based on? Or it's a whole different device manufactured solely for Vodafone?

Its a branded Huawei U8160.

We've never encountered such a problem.
    I'm guessing the numbers aren't simply "made up" - if anything, numbers of different contacts were written there by mistake.

Can you identify a pattern?

It looks like its after assigning the numbers from some correct contacts to other people in my phonebook so I'll have 1 correct contact but their number is assigned to 2 or 3 people :/

Mega Chin wrote: »
    It looks like its after assigning the numbers from some correct contacts to other people in my phonebook so I'll have 1 correct contact but their number is assigned to 2 or 3 people :/

1. What device do you have? What Android version?
    2. Custom ROM or stock ROM?
    3. Any special contact apps or special tweaks that might have collided with Viber (and created this issue?)

Its a Galaxy S 2 running 2.3.4 (KG3).
    Is a custom ROM though so I was wondering if this was the cause. Just found it strange so was wondering if anyone else came across it.
    Stock contacts app and no tweaks there that I can see. Could be a conflict from when I restored it from backup. Ill try a clean install of Viber

Do clean-install and let me know what the results are.
    Also, it would be extremely helpful that in order to eliminate the custom ROM issue (that could be very relevant here), you would install Viber on an S2 with stock ROM - a friend's, family's, etc.

With both these bits of information we will be able to identify the problem, test, and fix the problem for you.

Looks like a backup conflict. Clean install sorted it

Excellent, thank you for the report :)

A new version of Viber for Android has just been released: 2.0.1
    What's new?

- "Exit" button. Note that shutting Viber off may result in unavailability to receive calls and texts.
    - Important features, such as Proximity Sensor, are now enabled by default.
    - Viber-contacts identification mechanism was improved.
    - Many other bug fixes.

Please find the new version in Market. We'd love to hear your feedback!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

New update found new viber contacts. However it seems to be constantly refreshing all my contacts avatars, almost as if the update refreshes the list every second looking for new viber contacts.

HTC Desire

New update found new viber contacts. However it seems to be constantly refreshing all my contacts avatars, almost as if the update refreshes the list every second looking for new viber contacts.

HTC Desire

Can you please elaborate?
    Also include:
    1. your device and your android version.
    2. if you have a custom ROM
    3. if the problem persists after you reinstall
    4. Does this happen to other friends of yours as well in their contact lists?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

I like that you've removed the notification icon, silly issue but it was annoying me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Can you please elaborate?
    Also include:
    1. your device and your android version.
    2. if you have a custom ROM
    3. if the problem persists after you reinstall
    4. Does this happen to other friends of yours as well in their contact lists?

Seems to have stopped since yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

A new version of Viber for Android has just been released: 2.0.1
    What's new?

- "Exit" button. Note that shutting Viber off may result in unavailability to receive calls and texts.
    - Important features, such as Proximity Sensor, are now enabled by default.
    - Viber-contacts identification mechanism was improved.
    - Many other bug fixes.

Please find the new version in Market. We'd love to hear your feedback!

Thank you for the exit button, now I can "unfreeze" the App......

Perhaps I will try CyanogenMod 7 on my ZTE Blade, AFAIK, the sound routing problem has been fixed on that ROM.

Have Viber given any more thought to this routing to the speaker problem, which exists on some Devices/ROM's?

I know custom ROMs are to blame, but you may have given it some attention, with popular device/ROM combos??

@irishpancake

You're saying the sound-routing problem was fixed on CM7 with Viber? This is new to me, as I keep getting reports that people with CM7 who try to use Viber still can't be heard by the other side.

And about your question - yes, we are trying to develop support for a few ROMs these days.

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to announce that according to preliminary results, it seems as though we managed to find and fix the collision problem of Viber with CM7 and MIUI ROMs (and possible the rest as well)
    Both these ROMs "change" the device's identity (virtually, of course), preventing Viber from adapting itself correctly to the device's microphone configuration. This is why most of you with ROMs experienced the one-side audio issue.

Anyway - we are working on adding a fix to the new version that will hopefully be officially released next week to Market.

Updates soon,
    Viber.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

With the update at the weekend it identified a couple more people who have viber installed, but there are still a couple of people that I know have it installed that it does not show. Was the update at the weekend meant to fully fix this issue, or was it only a first step towards it?

Thanks.

5starpool wrote: »
    With the update at the weekend it identified a couple more people who have viber installed, but there are still a couple of people that I know have it installed that it does not show. Was the update at the weekend meant to fully fix this issue, or was it only a first step towards it?

Thanks.

We found a problem our contact identification mechanism, but we're not sure if it fully fixes the problem (this is why we rely on user feedback, like yours).
    Did you make sure that the those contacts removed Viber and reinstalled the latest version from Market?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We found a problem our contact identification mechanism, but we're not sure if it fully fixes the problem (this is why we rely on user feedback, like yours).
    Did you make sure that the those contacts removed Viber and reinstalled the latest version from Market?

No, but I will check that.

Advertisement