Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Maybe a problem with the particular version of Cyanogenmod 7 you're using? I'm on 7.0.3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Maybe a problem with the particular version of Cyanogenmod 7 you're using? I'm on 7.0.3

I'm 7.0.0 - could be something to do with it.

I've installed betterbatterystats, but so far it hasn't listed Viber from what I can see. Will keep an eye on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

If anyone comes to any conclusive conclusion (weird combination of words) regarding the alleged battery drain caused by Viber - please let me know. We honestly did not manage to find the source of this complaint so far.

Also, a message to CM7 or MIUI users who encountered critical bugs trying to use Viber: we think we might have found the source of the problem. We are investigating this issue these days and will keep you posted on updates.
    In the same subject: does anyone here have CM7 installed with Viber *fully* working?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Seems to work fine for me. Have made/received calls and messages and no noticable battery drain. No errors yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Probably a stupid question but have you checked the android battery use screen? Should be able to see in under Settings --> About Phone --> Battery Use. It should show if Viber is using significantly more than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭G1032

Cianos wrote: »
    What are you basing this on?

I'm basing this on my observation that anyone who has complained about battery drain hasn't actually given a percentage of the battery that viber is supposed to be draining.
    Since nobody has given a figure from a battery monitor then they are just saying that 'my battery is draining quicker. It must be viber'
    But there are no stats beinig shown.
    The battery drain claims have to be backed up. Just because someone thinks Viber is causing drain doesn't actually mean that it is

There is no battery drain showing up for viber on my built in SGS battery monitor or the 3rd party battery monitor I have installed.
    It hit 3% the last day after a few text messages were sent. Thats not battery drain.

Viber wrote: »
    If anyone comes to any conclusive conclusion (weird combination of words) regarding the alleged battery drain caused by Viber - please let me know. We honestly did not manage to find the source of this complaint so far.

Also, a message to CM7 or MIUI users who encountered critical bugs trying to use Viber: we think we might have found the source of the problem. We are investigating this issue these days and will keep you posted on updates.
    In the same subject: does anyone here have CM7 installed with Viber *fully* working?

Yes. As in I haven't noticed a bug yet. Made and recieved calls + text messages. Haven't noticed an issue. Thats not to say there isn't one though. I just haven't found it yet.:)

G1032 wrote: »
    Yes. As in I haven't noticed a bug yet. Made and recieved calls + text messages. Haven't noticed an issue. Thats not to say there isn't one though. I just haven't found it yet.:)

Well, as long as you call and text using Viber and don't find any issues, I'm content :D

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

All of a sudden Viber started recognising loads of my contacts as new viber users, even though they've been using it ages. oh well, so long as it works.

Does anyone else find it awfully echo'y though? its very hard to talk to someone when you are listening to yourself with a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

I am on CM7 and since I left beta version, now my viber contacts cannot be updated, can only ring them when they send me a message, otherwise no other way around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭joanas

So i followed the advice by the viber representive and uninstalled viber beta from phone. Went to android market and installed the app from there. Ever since I installed it from the market my phone has gone haywire. it keeps shutting itself down and robooting and i can't access anything on the phone. each time i try to do something such as open a message the phone shuts down and roboots!! this is so annoying. the phone is sony ericsson x10 mini pro running the latest firmware.

joanas wrote: »
    So i followed the advice by the viber representive and uninstalled viber beta from phone. Went to android market and installed the app from there. Ever since I installed it from the market my phone has gone haywire. it keeps shutting itself down and robooting and i can't access anything on the phone. each time i try to do something such as open a message the phone shuts down and roboots!! this is so annoying. the phone is sony ericsson x10 mini pro running the latest firmware.

Are you running a custom ROM or stock ROM?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭joanas

update: Seems to have sorted itself out after several reboots. thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I got a Viber message there that a contact of mine had just installed Viber. This is one of the people that I know have had it installed since last week, but don't show up on my contact list (even when I try the steps in post #117). When I go into my viber contact list, this person who I got the prompt about, still does not appear. This is pretty annoying. At least I have no battery drain issues though.

@5starpool - as I said, we're working on this issue and hopefully it'll be fixed at the end of this week.

Yeah im having a battery drain problem on a Galaxy S but i have the same app installed on the Nexus S and dont seem to be having any battery problems. strange...

Hecklar wrote: »
    Yeah im having a battery drain problem on a Galaxy S but i have the same app installed on the Nexus S and dont seem to be having any battery problems. strange...

how much battery is it using

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I'm basing this on my observation that anyone who has complained about battery drain hasn't actually given a percentage of the battery that viber is supposed to be draining.
    Since nobody has given a figure from a battery monitor then they are just saying that 'my battery is draining quicker. It must be viber'
    But there are no stats beinig shown.
    The battery drain claims have to be backed up. Just because someone thinks Viber is causing drain doesn't actually mean that it is

There is no battery drain showing up for viber on my built in SGS battery monitor or the 3rd party battery monitor I have installed.
    It hit 3% the last day after a few text messages were sent. Thats not battery drain.

Well you shouldn't really make definite statements based on limited information (lack of battery data), and your own experience. Granted, nobody else should either.

Anyway, I've left Viber running all day and today's battery performance seems to be much better so I definitely could have been mistaken the first time round. :)

how much battery is it using

Quite a bit, I installed it one night at about 12 maybe 1am and it stayed in the charger all night until about 6:30am when the battery was full. then by about 12ish the battery was in the red.

Hecklar wrote: »
    Quite a bit, I installed it one night at about 12 maybe 1am and it stayed in the charger all night until about 6:30am when the battery was full. then by about 12ish the battery was in the red.

But what is the actual percentage of battery that Viber is using? Are you sure that Viber is causiing the drain?
    If Viber isn't showing up in the battery stats then it's not Viber causing the drain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I have also seen battery drain on a SGS on Android 2.1, it seems that Viber gets into a "bad" state though when it's causing this, a reboot and it seems to be fine when Viber is running OK.

Viber was causing 19% drain on the battery. I've seen this twice since install. If I get it again I'll grab a screenshot.

When in the bad state Viber keeps giving me a message about not using task killers even though I dont have one and haven't ended Viber by using force stop.

draffodx wrote: »
    I have also seen battery drain on a SGS on Android 2.1, it seems that Viber gets into a "bad" state though when it's causing this, a reboot and it seems to be fine when Viber is running OK.

When in the bad state Viber keeps giving me a message about not using task killers even though I dont have one and haven't ended Viber by using force stop.

What exactly is this "bad state" and do you think you can define exactly when/how/why it happens?

What exactly is this "bad state" and do you think you can define exactly when/how/why it happens?

I have a monitor that shows running apps and it appears to be in a bad state when the Viber notification is still there but Viber doesn't show up as a running app. I then go into Viber and get the message saying uncheck Viber from task killers, dismiss that and get back to Viber. It then appears to be a bit of a drain on the battery until I restart the device.

I cant describe a defined set of steps to get it into that bad state as it seems to just happen when the device is left unattended for long periods.

Could be just a Samsung ROM thing as its on an old 2.1 ROM. (It doesn't occur on a Samsung Vibrant running 2.2)

draffodx wrote: »
    I have a monitor that shows running apps and it appears to be in a bad state when the Viber notification is still there but Viber doesn't show up as a running app. I then go into Viber and get the message saying uncheck Viber from task killers, dismiss that and get back to Viber. It then appears to be a bit of a drain on the battery until I restart the device.

I cant describe a defined set of steps to get it into that bad state as it seems to just happen when the device is left unattended for long periods.

Could be just a Samsung ROM thing as its on an old 2.1 ROM. (It doesn't occur on a Samsung Vibrant running 2.2)

We also suspect it's some kind of a collision between specific ROMs and Viber, but reproducing the exact scenario seems like a long-shot.

If you, or anyone else here in the forums, manage to find the exact steps/scenario that cause Viber to drain battery (allegedly), please inform me and we will give it the utmost serious attention. Until then, unfortunately, there is not much I can help with, because we're simply not able to reproduce it here in our labs :(

We also suspect it's some kind of a collision between specific ROMs and Viber, but reproducing the exact scenario seems like a long-shot.

If you, or anyone else here in the forums, manage to find the exact steps/scenario that cause Viber to drain battery (allegedly), please inform me and we will give it the utmost serious attention. Until then, unfortunately, there is not much I can help with, because we're simply not able to reproduce it here in our labs :(

Its not a big issue anyway, in normal circumstances the drain doesn't appear to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Any chance of a "Move to SD card" option? 8MB is fairly precious to me on my Desire :P

Any chance of a "Move to SD card" option? 8MB is fairly precious to me on my Desire :P

Known user demand, but unfortunately such a option is a little technologically complex. It's definitely planned, but we still don't know when exactly it's going to be ready. I'll keep you posted of course.

People with HTC Wildfire or HTC Hero:

We have enabled a temporary download link for devices that are only partially supported, such as the two mentioned above:

http://helpme.viber.com/index.php/Knowledgebase/Article/View/100/16/cant-download-from-android-market

You'll be able to download the .APK there and manually install on your Androids.

* Note that the version available there is an older version, but as we said - this issue is temporary, only until we enable it back in Market (to a few weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Hi

I'm testing it on Vodafone 858 (Smart).
    It shows as incompatible on android market but I googled apk file and it works fine.

Version 2.0.110292 beta.

Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Installed there on Galaxy S II on release and so far so good no issues.

Using it mostly to text, do notice that on occasions I'll get like 7-8 copies f the same text and there are occasions where my texts wont send for some reason, but other then that impressed.

Tried one or two phonecalls and they were good too :)

Advertisement