Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Engineering Apprenticeships 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Han anyone got an email saying that they failed during the online aptitude test? because it looks like the only people who heard back from them were those who got an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭clown2brown

I received this from them yesterday:
    Dear Clown2Brown

Thank you for your application to the Aer Lingus Apprenticeship Programme.

As we offer only a small number of places on our Apprenticeship Programme, the process for short-listing for the next stage was extremely competitive.

Unfortunately it is with regret that I must inform you that your application has not been successful.

I would like to thank you for your interest in Aer Lingus and wish you every success in your future career.

Yours sincerely
    The Aer Lingus Recruitment Team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

how old is everyone going for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

I'm 19, any1 else haven't heard back from aerlingus yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    I'm 19, any1 else haven't heard back from aerlingus yet?

Nope nothin yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Got invited for an interview there myself - got the email on the 20th also. I wonder how many in 2nd stage and how many applied originally?

22 here for whoever asked about age.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kkk1985

i would say anyone who didn't here back yet is on the back up list to replace the people who don't accept the offer of the interview. interviews have to be accepted by june 4th i think so ye'll prob find out then i would say.

looks like i'm the oldest of ye at 26!!!

I think the emails are delayed due to the huge amount of people who applied, I only heard back from them today so did the few other people from my school. Too bad i didn't get an interview...

kkk1985 wrote: »
    i would say anyone who didn't here back yet is on the back up list to replace the people who don't accept the offer of the interview. interviews have to be accepted by june 4th i think so ye'll prob find out then i would say.

looks like i'm the oldest of ye at 26!!!

im nearly 28 lol

i must practice the maths!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I'm 24. Really hope I get this apprenticeship, my current job is driving me mad and aviation is an industry i'd love to work in.

Can anyone remember how many positions are available? I'd love to know how many are through to interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KatieH151

Got an interview and I'm 17 for whoever was asking!
    Doesn't seem to be much girls going for these apprenticeships!
    Anyone have any tips on what might be asked in the interview? Any suggestions are much appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

Congratulations with anybody who has been called for the interview stage. Interview would most likely be broken in two parts - one by someone from the HR Dept and 2nd by someone from Engineering. My advice to anybody who wishes to prepare themselves for potential questions would be:
    - Have a look at typical HR questions about Communications, Motivation etc i.e. How would you motivate someone who wasnt pulling their weight.. Have you ever worked as part of a team, give examples. Examples of conflict and how you have dealt with it. Other questions such as what makes you suitable for the job.
    - I would strongly advise on reading up about Aer Lingus itself. Read up on its history. I would recommend finding out they types of Aircraft and amount of each. Also - find out which aircraft were recently sold/handed back to lease companies etc. Do you homework on the company itself.
    - It will not be a technical interview as such - they wont be asking questions about aircraft systems! But do read up about aircraft - the basics. How an aircraft flies, how a jet engine works (basic knowledge). on the topic of engines - i would tend to do research and find out what type of engines are fitted to the aircraft....i.e. In my opinion it would be quite impressive to the interviewer if you did research and said the A330's operated by Aer Lingus are powered by General Electric CF6-80E series Engines which can produce a Maximum of 72,000 Pounds of Thrust. Some good, firm research will do you well. 2 Sites i would look advise on lookin at would be http://www.geae.com/engines/commercial/cf6/cf6-80e1.html and http://www.cfm56.com/products/cfm56-5b

The interviewers will want to see you have done the homework - its up to you to prove why you should have the job over the other candidates who have got this far.

Best of luck! Anyone needing any info, feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Skyb

This post has been deleted.

Skyb wrote: »

I suppose if you look at it another way you're not really employed at all whilst training, you are just an apprentice. I presume that the objective is to become an Aer Lingus employee at the end of it all, hence why they are offering the apprenticeship.

Don't take that as gospel, it's just the way I see it. I'm open to correction! :D

I suppose if you look at it another way you're not really employed at all whilst training.

Yes of course you are. EI Pay and Train you therefor EI are your Employer.

Otherwise you could say that about every single Apprentice Electrician working for the likes of Dornan, Mercury, Kirby or Sepam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Hey guys, I have an interview coming up with Aer Lingus and I was wondering if I could have an informal Q&A with someone who works in Aer Lingus Engineering, in particular someone who has experience with the Apprenticeship scheme. Feel free to PM me if you are interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Whats the craic with all the forms they sent out?? They are the type of forms you fill out after you get the job, not before an interview?? :confused:

Have them filled out and ready for monday morning.

I cant seem to find my Leaving cert results lol last time i looked at them was when i originally did my CV 9 years ago!!

Have them filled out and ready for monday morning.

I cant seem to find my Leaving cert results lol last time i looked at them was when i originally did my CV 9 years ago!!

Have a look at examinations.ie, you will have to fill out a form and pay a fee of about 15 euro and they will send you your LC results to you :)

EDIT: good luck to everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

kona wrote: »
    Whats the craic with all the forms they sent out?? They are the type of forms you fill out after you get the job, not before an interview?? :confused:

Takes a few weeks for the Garda vetting and DAA background checks to get your airside pass. So if you get the job they can send the forms away and not be waiting around.

Sounds like if you get this, youl be starting in early august, if these forms are anything to be believed.

Do I have to bring my LC results? I havnt gotten my Degree yet so Ill have to go without that. Going to end up pulling my house apart looking for these results.

Sounds like if you get this, youl be starting in early august, if these forms are anything to be believed.

Do I have to bring my LC results? I havnt gotten my Degree yet so Ill have to go without that. Going to end up pulling my house apart looking for these results.

im just calling up to the school tomorrow in hopes the staff are there. i havent seen mine in 9 years lol

All aircraft engineer apprenticeships start in late august/early september, because thats when phase 2 in shannon starts.

FOGOFUNK wrote: »
    All aircraft engineer apprenticeships start in late august/early september, because thats when phase 2 in shannon starts.

Ah for feck sake, Im flying to ibiza on the 1st of sept for 9 days lol

**** one, it's a tough call as you wouldn't really miss anything in the first week or two but trying to explain that to a new boss wouldn't be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 doink

ya wudnt just go straight into phase 2.ya have to do phase 1 which I think is a minimum of 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭LeakRate

Phase One is two weeks

Yeah, my phase 1 was one week.

Id rather be getting the time off for Ibiza than repeats :p (hope to **** I dont have them!)

Ive 2 gigs in the 9 days im there so to be honest they can go whistle if they want me to cancel My yearly pilgrimage. Im flying with EI anyway so i should be excused lol

I just re read the Email, seems the Junior Cert is sufficient, Funnily Ive found my Junior but not my Leaving :confused:

Also for some of the younger lads, you dont have to pay to request results from 2006 to present.

• Advertisement

I just re read the Email, seems the Junior Cert is sufficient, Funnily Ive found my Junior but not my Leaving :confused:

Also for some of the younger lads, you dont have to pay to request results from 2006 to present.

I found my junior cert results also but not my LC :D

I imagine it would stand to us better if we had the LC though

Even though I have a national trade cert as a electrician id still rather have the LC

I found my junior cert results also but not my LC :D

I imagine it would stand to us better if we had the LC though

Even though I have a national trade cert as a electrician id still rather have the LC

Id imagine most the people called back have 3rd level qualifications, I think its just to make sure you meet their criteria, the refrences will sort out the rest. I wonder if the aptitude test will be the same.

Best of luck everyone.

Had mine this morning, The engineer's questions were straight forward but the HR woman(who was smokin hot) asked a load of very similar questions and got a bit confusing when she basically worded them differently

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KatieH151

Had mine this morning, The engineer's questions were straight forward but the HR woman(who was smokin hot) asked a load of very similar questions and got a bit confusing when she basically worded them differently

Without sounding a bit cheeky...can I ask what kind of questions you were asked? :) How long was the interview?

• Advertisement

no problem at all,

The Engineer asked if i understood how a plane takes off and how it generates lift and how it turns and asked me if i knew a couple of flight controls. to be honest he asked 4 questions then the girl from HR asked a load about working in teams and how it has its advantages and if i was ever in a team situation where it went wrong. I was in there for 30 minutes. the aptitude test was short enough, only 2 modules. i had the true or false and the logical reasoning.

there was no mechanical reasoning practical exam.

Just make sure that if you were on social welfare between jobs then write it on that 5 year background sheet as everything must be accounted for. and they are mainly interested in your junior cert results, they only go to the leaving cert results if say you got a d in maths in the JC but need a c, well then if you got a c in the leaving than that is ok if that makes sense?

I haven't got any police reference yet for when i was out of the country for more than six months. i wonder will this be a major problem or can it be passed on at a later date?? my interview is tomorrow...:eek::eek:

I had mine this morning too. In terms of the paperwork they seem to be pretty happy for you to forward additional information via email when you have it so I wouldn't be too worried about waiting on a reference etc.

I had mine this morning too. In terms of the paperwork they seem to be pretty happy for you to forward additional information via email when you have it so I wouldn't be too worried about waiting on a reference etc.

thanks for that Emmett.
    did u get on good today?

I haven't got any police reference yet for when i was out of the country for more than six months. i wonder will this be a major problem or can it be passed on at a later date?? my interview is tomorrow...:eek::eek:

I think its only a factor if they offer you the position.

they must contact everyone on your background check form and then get them to fill in a form and send it back.... I have 6 employers on my form as i do all contract work and 2 of the companies are gone belly under so i wonder how long it will take for my background check to go through :(

how did people get on today?

How did people get on today?

thanks for that Emmett.
    did u get on good today?

I was happy enough with it, thought the HR side of the interview could have gone a little better but I suppose hindsight is a great thing. Invariably there will always be something that you'll think "Damn! I should have said that!". I guess I'll just have to wait and see like everyone else, hope they don't leave us waiting for too long!

How did you get on yourself?

I was happy enough with it, thought the HR side of the interview could have gone a little better but I suppose hindsight is a great thing. Invariably there will always be something that you'll think "Damn! I should have said that!". I guess I'll just have to wait and see like everyone else, hope they don't leave us waiting for too long!

How did you get on yourself?

I got on fine but again the HR side was a bit strange, anyone i was talking to though said the same. It seemed as if she asked the same question in a different way a few times.

I forgot to ask how many positions were available though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement