Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Engineering Apprenticeships 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

How come the one in Shannon Aerospace is only 2.5 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭brotherrabbit

its due to the fact shannon aero its an internal training system, i dont believe their is a national or international cert at the end of it

right i just did the last test and i got a error message "unfortunatly your date could not be transfered, please copy and paste the following code and email to.... bla"

when i right click it comes up error and i cant copy

anyone get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

I will give my 2 Cents on this also..

I did the 4 Year apprenticeship myself. Its a great opportunity to take, especially the times the county is in. Aside from learning all the skills, knowledge etc, as an apprentice you learn the value of money, which in my opinion is invaluable! It would be exceptionally difficult to go down the Apprenticeship route if you have a family or martgage - nearly impossible but for somebody with no ties, its great.

As for where you will be based, the majority will be Dublin based while doing their On the Job training. A small few will be in SNN, but i would not let this discourage anybody. A change from the ordinary and from the places you know could do you wonders.

I will agree with A320 also in his sentiments....The jobs can have its ups and downs...there has been many times that have really tested my, annoyed me etc...but you have to learn not to let things get to you. There also has been so many good times. You will meet many great people and have great craic. As you will be working for an airline, you will receive the perks also of Staff travel...gives you such a great opportunity to travel with your time off.

If you achieve your EASA licence, then after the 4 years it is now possible for you to also go down the Degree route in Engineering. It can be done Part time and you will be credited towards this on the strength of your Licence.

People here are asking the question as to whether they will be kept on after the 4 years...i wouldnt actually even be thinkin of this right now. Aer Lingus in the short term will not be expanding, but the medium term...i.e. 4 to 5 years, they are of the view things will improve and expansion will happen then...with the delivery of the A350. Apprenticeship schemes are invaluable to Airlines/MRO's as they build on the future. There is a natural course of retirement also and the newly qualified apprentices slot into these positions nicely. The Newly Qualified Apprentices in Autumn 2015 may not even want to stay with Aer Lingus...they may receive bigger and better options or may use their Licence (If successful in doing it) as a token to travel and see the world. There is always work out there! For anybody curious, have a look at http://www.aviationjobsearch.com/jobs/maintenance_line_jobs/ Plenty of work avail if you have an urge to travel.

For anyone who is going through the application process and interested in this route...may i wish you the best of luck with things. For anybody who is undecided, just apply anyway, its no harm. Things dont happen too fast so time is on your side to think things over. If you never apply, you will never know!

What is 1st year rate roughly?

When i was serving my time as a industrial electrician it was only 145 a week but that was almost 10 years ago now.

Also.... WOuld being a electrician stand to you both in the applying process and in the job itself?

Thanks CS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 The Baltimore Sun

What is 1st year rate roughly?

When i was serving my time as a industrial electrician it was only 145 a week but that was almost 10 years ago now.

Also.... WOuld being a electrician stand to you both in the applying process and in the job itself?

Thanks CS

I began my apprentiship in '99, and from what I remember, the pay was on a par with the sparkies, plumbers etc.
    Being an electrician should be a benifit, and it'll also be a huge help in the interview if they ask you anything along the lines of Ohms law and all that jazz!
    Have a goo at youtube for videos about how aircraft fly etc. for additional tips.
    Heres one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1TqwAKwMuM

Current rates for Electrical Industry which includes: Aviation, Refrigeration and Instrumentation.

Phase 2 €242.58
    Phase 4 €363.87
    Phase 6 €525.72
    4th Year €647.01

thats effective 1st april 2007 so tis due a bump (naaat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

I will give my 2 Cents on this also..

I did the 4 Year apprenticeship myself.

Don't mind me asking but did you have any previous trades ect before you applied ?

Do they expect you to be able to do them maths questions on paper without a calculator?

finding the area of a triangle and the volume of a sphere cant be handy on paper...

yes it says it you can have a calculator. Dont be worrying. the test is a industry standered app test.. Prep is key for the interview. Im from engineering back ground but im hitting the books

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

yes it says it you can have a calculator. Dont be worrying. the test is a industry standered app test.. Prep is key for the interview. Im from engineering back ground but im hitting the books

Going by your username I was expecting you to be a 60's sole band manager :confused::D

At the end of the day it is possible to do without a calculator if you know what the likes of the formulas and pie ect ect. and don't get frustrated doing some multiplication and division :)

I play a mean tune on the spoons ;)
    i wish. . . .
    Yea take the calculator but memories the FORMULA :) you dont wanna be sitting there asking your self the difference between the volume of a cylinder and a sphere..just know them!

I know its a long hope but...I hope they get the ball rolling soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Those new table books would be mighty handy ;)

mle1324 wrote: »
    Don't mind me asking but did you have any previous trades ect before you applied ?

No problem asking...Nope i didnt have any trade before hand. I joined the year i completed my Leaving Cert. To be honest, its not what qualifications you have before hand that will win you the job... a lot goes down to how you perform in the aptitude tests and also the manual dexterity tests that follow in the latter stages. The interview with HR will most likely be the final stage, but if you get this far you will be looking in good shape for the job.
    As for people who are wondering, Aptitude tests and dexterity test - there is not a whole lot you can do to prepare for them. As they are online, i would recommend having a clear head doing them and not be tired. From memory, some of the things answered can test your brains so not being too tired will help.

No problem asking...Nope i didnt have any trade before hand. I joined the year i completed my Leaving Cert. To be honest, its not what qualifications you have before hand that will win you the job... a lot goes down to how you perform in the aptitude tests and also the manual dexterity tests that follow in the latter stages. The interview with HR will most likely be the final stage, but if you get this far you will be looking in good shape for the job.
    As for people who are wondering, Aptitude tests and dexterity test - there is not a whole lot you can do to prepare for them. As they are online, i would recommend having a clear head doing them and not be tired. From memory, some of the things answered can test your brains so not being too tired will help.
    I hope you dont mind me asking but are you still working in the industry and if so are you on avionics or mechanics?

whats a dexterity test?

test to check your problem solving ability and how you work with your hands. they look straight forward but have a hidden curve ball.. The last one I did was a metal box had to be disassembled and a switch activated and the box put back together... Now here is the curve...the bolts had a 1mm difference in the width and unless you tracked the bolts to the holes you were screwed.
    They are not a problem if you have good attention to detail. If you come from a trade or engineering background you should (we hope) be ok if your just leaving cert id be doing some app tests

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

also remember folks if theres instructions with these 'hands on' skills test probably the most important part is following the instructions,if you get whatever they give you to construct 50% done by following the instructions its much better than someone who finishes it with pieces in the wrong place,as reading instructions from manuals is an important aspect of aircraft maintenance work,you don't want to miss an instruction to pull a circuit breaker and boom there goes your pitot heaters with the covers melted on!!!!!!

I hope you dont mind me asking but are you still working in the industry and if so are you on avionics or mechanics?

Yeah..i am indeed still in the industry. I went down the B1 route (Mechanical) but i am just about finished adding B2 (Avionics) to my License. The best advice i can give to poeple who eventually get into this and begin doing the exams for their EASA Part 66 License - As you will be in the frame of mind for exams and study- i would strongly advise doing both the B1 and B2 exams. Its a lot easier to do this when your doing your apprenticeship as all this knowledge is still fresh in your head...not like trying to add things to your license a few years down the line when you have to go back and re-study things again!!!
    For anyone interested in this- both B1 and B2 study basically the same modules - but obviously in Mechanical places the B1 guys go into greater depth and electrical wise the B2 go deeper in parts. If you can get a grasp of things and get your head around it while doing your study, then always try do them both. It will stand to you in Future.

A320 wrote: »
    you don't want to miss an instruction to pull a circuit breaker and boom there goes your pitot heaters with the covers melted on!!!!!!

Hmmm...that could never happen!! HA!!! :rolleyes: Hmmm...we have all made some slip ups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Hmmm...that could never happen!! HA!!! :rolleyes: Hmmm...we have all made some slip ups

Ha luckily it wasn't me,we'd blame the mechs anyway

ha ha ha typical electrics side...blame the mechanics.. never see the mechanics making mistakes like that ha ha ha.. ah trade fun :)

How far did everybody get in the questions? I have done 2 sets so far. Just want to see if Im above or below average in the amount completed :)

kona wrote: »
    How far did everybody get in the questions? I have done 2 sets so far. Just want to see if Im above or below average in the amount completed :)

did them all one after the next...

did them all one after the next...

No like weather or not you completed the actual tasks :)

Its certainly different from the usual tests Ive taken, spacial one in particular is challenging.

No like weather or not you completed the actual tasks :)

Its certainly different from the usual tests Ive taken, spacial one in particular is challenging.

oh i beg your pardon sir! indeed the spacial one was classly.. someone had fun on the CAD.. I made a balls of the logic one but i finished nearly everything,

How did you find logic

oh i beg your pardon sir! indeed the spacial one was classly.. someone had fun on the CAD.. I made a balls of the logic one but i finished nearly everything,

How did you find logic

Yea the spacial was abit "different"

The Logic I got grand, till it went the reverse, that wrecked my head, but i had some paper so it made a big difference writing it out :)

Mechanical and Numeric was simple. Although they would wanna sort out their wording Mass and Weight are two different things, and weight is in newtons not Kilograms, that confuddled me for abit!

Yea the spacial was abit "different"

The Logic I got grand, till it went the reverse, that wrecked my head, but i had some paper so it made a big difference writing it out :)

Mechanical and Numeric was simple. Although they would wanna sort out their wording Mass and Weight are two different things, and weight is in newtons not Kilograms, that confuddled me for abit!

yea i noticed that...makes me think a hr staff member wrote it and not an engineer..whats you back ground man

yea i noticed that...makes me think a hr staff member wrote it and not an engineer..whats you back ground man

2 months away from the dole que :p

Nah I kid, Finishing up mechanical engineering degree :) , those spacial tests were the hardest I found. go something like 10 finished, just about. I was thinking it was handy after the first few!

Also If anybody wants some tips, be handy at converting units :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

Anyone else noticed they only have years up to 2010 in the list on the work experience section. What do you do if your most recent work experience is in 2011?

Advertisement