Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Engineering Apprenticeships 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Han anyone got an email saying that they failed during the online aptitude test? because it looks like the only people who heard back from them were those who got an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭clown2brown

I received this from them yesterday:
    Dear Clown2Brown

Thank you for your application to the Aer Lingus Apprenticeship Programme.

As we offer only a small number of places on our Apprenticeship Programme, the process for short-listing for the next stage was extremely competitive.

Unfortunately it is with regret that I must inform you that your application has not been successful.

I would like to thank you for your interest in Aer Lingus and wish you every success in your future career.

Yours sincerely
    The Aer Lingus Recruitment Team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

how old is everyone going for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

I'm 19, any1 else haven't heard back from aerlingus yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    I'm 19, any1 else haven't heard back from aerlingus yet?

Nope nothin yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Got invited for an interview there myself - got the email on the 20th also. I wonder how many in 2nd stage and how many applied originally?

22 here for whoever asked about age.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kkk1985

i would say anyone who didn't here back yet is on the back up list to replace the people who don't accept the offer of the interview. interviews have to be accepted by june 4th i think so ye'll prob find out then i would say.

looks like i'm the oldest of ye at 26!!!

I think the emails are delayed due to the huge amount of people who applied, I only heard back from them today so did the few other people from my school. Too bad i didn't get an interview...

kkk1985 wrote: »
    i would say anyone who didn't here back yet is on the back up list to replace the people who don't accept the offer of the interview. interviews have to be accepted by june 4th i think so ye'll prob find out then i would say.

looks like i'm the oldest of ye at 26!!!

im nearly 28 lol

i must practice the maths!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I'm 24. Really hope I get this apprenticeship, my current job is driving me mad and aviation is an industry i'd love to work in.

Can anyone remember how many positions are available? I'd love to know how many are through to interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KatieH151

Got an interview and I'm 17 for whoever was asking!
    Doesn't seem to be much girls going for these apprenticeships!
    Anyone have any tips on what might be asked in the interview? Any suggestions are much appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

Congratulations with anybody who has been called for the interview stage. Interview would most likely be broken in two parts - one by someone from the HR Dept and 2nd by someone from Engineering. My advice to anybody who wishes to prepare themselves for potential questions would be:
    - Have a look at typical HR questions about Communications, Motivation etc i.e. How would you motivate someone who wasnt pulling their weight.. Have you ever worked as part of a team, give examples. Examples of conflict and how you have dealt with it. Other questions such as what makes you suitable for the job.
    - I would strongly advise on reading up about Aer Lingus itself. Read up on its history. I would recommend finding out they types of Aircraft and amount of each. Also - find out which aircraft were recently sold/handed back to lease companies etc. Do you homework on the company itself.
    - It will not be a technical interview as such - they wont be asking questions about aircraft systems! But do read up about aircraft - the basics. How an aircraft flies, how a jet engine works (basic knowledge). on the topic of engines - i would tend to do research and find out what type of engines are fitted to the aircraft....i.e. In my opinion it would be quite impressive to the interviewer if you did research and said the A330's operated by Aer Lingus are powered by General Electric CF6-80E series Engines which can produce a Maximum of 72,000 Pounds of Thrust. Some good, firm research will do you well. 2 Sites i would look advise on lookin at would be http://www.geae.com/engines/commercial/cf6/cf6-80e1.html and http://www.cfm56.com/products/cfm56-5b

The interviewers will want to see you have done the homework - its up to you to prove why you should have the job over the other candidates who have got this far.

Best of luck! Anyone needing any info, feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Skyb

This post has been deleted.

Skyb wrote: »

I suppose if you look at it another way you're not really employed at all whilst training, you are just an apprentice. I presume that the objective is to become an Aer Lingus employee at the end of it all, hence why they are offering the apprenticeship.

Don't take that as gospel, it's just the way I see it. I'm open to correction! :D

I suppose if you look at it another way you're not really employed at all whilst training.

Yes of course you are. EI Pay and Train you therefor EI are your Employer.

Otherwise you could say that about every single Apprentice Electrician working for the likes of Dornan, Mercury, Kirby or Sepam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Hey guys, I have an interview coming up with Aer Lingus and I was wondering if I could have an informal Q&A with someone who works in Aer Lingus Engineering, in particular someone who has experience with the Apprenticeship scheme. Feel free to PM me if you are interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Whats the craic with all the forms they sent out?? They are the type of forms you fill out after you get the job, not before an interview?? :confused:

Have them filled out and ready for monday morning.

I cant seem to find my Leaving cert results lol last time i looked at them was when i originally did my CV 9 years ago!!

Have them filled out and ready for monday morning.

I cant seem to find my Leaving cert results lol last time i looked at them was when i originally did my CV 9 years ago!!

Have a look at examinations.ie, you will have to fill out a form and pay a fee of about 15 euro and they will send you your LC results to you :)

EDIT: good luck to everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

kona wrote: »
    Whats the craic with all the forms they sent out?? They are the type of forms you fill out after you get the job, not before an interview?? :confused:

Takes a few weeks for the Garda vetting and DAA background checks to get your airside pass. So if you get the job they can send the forms away and not be waiting around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Sounds like if you get this, youl be starting in early august, if these forms are anything to be believed.

Do I have to bring my LC results? I havnt gotten my Degree yet so Ill have to go without that. Going to end up pulling my house apart looking for these results.

Sounds like if you get this, youl be starting in early august, if these forms are anything to be believed.

Do I have to bring my LC results? I havnt gotten my Degree yet so Ill have to go without that. Going to end up pulling my house apart looking for these results.

im just calling up to the school tomorrow in hopes the staff are there. i havent seen mine in 9 years lol

All aircraft engineer apprenticeships start in late august/early september, because thats when phase 2 in shannon starts.

FOGOFUNK wrote: »
    All aircraft engineer apprenticeships start in late august/early september, because thats when phase 2 in shannon starts.

Ah for feck sake, Im flying to ibiza on the 1st of sept for 9 days lol

Ah for feck sake, Im flying to ibiza on the 1st of sept for 9 days lol

**** one, it's a tough call as you wouldn't really miss anything in the first week or two but trying to explain that to a new boss wouldn't be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 doink

ya wudnt just go straight into phase 2.ya have to do phase 1 which I think is a minimum of 6 months.

Advertisement