Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Engineering Apprenticeships 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

kona wrote: »
    Last group they let go without finishing the apprenticeship.

Sure that wasn't SR Technics? Aer Lingus haven't done apprenticeships/cadetships now for years. AFAIK they were all done away with under Willie Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

What if I haven't got any work experience , as it says you need to name two referess...

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

darius,a sports team coach or a teacher will do fine

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

This looks a great opportunity to get involved in a very interesting trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Has anybody done the Online test yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Skyb

This post has been deleted.

Skyb wrote: »

Would they be similar to other aptitude tests you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

I assume that the online test is after you finish the application side of things or do they send you an activation link in a email for the test ?

mle1324 wrote: »
    I assume that the online test is after you finish the application side of things or do they send you an activation link in a email for the test ?

You get a login and a password :) you dont have to do it straight after, thank god, the application goes on forever!

You get a login and a password :) you dont have to do it straight after, thank god, the application goes on forever!

Thanks. I'm half way through if at the moment and leaving the other half to tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Skyb

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bm92

I'll def be applying!!

Is the training in Dublin only...or in shannon as well???

arrrghh cant decide whether i should do this~(if i got it) or go with my cao and head into Mech Eng in Limerick IT(transferring eventually to aero in UL)

bm92 wrote: »
    I'll def be applying!!

arrrghh cant decide whether i should do this~(if i got it) or go with my cao and head into Mech Eng in Limerick IT(transferring eventually to aero in UL)

Dont worry about that, just apply to as many of these things as you can, ot gives you experience and if you get it, happy days you have a great choice to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

You might have 5 days to finish the test, but they'll obviously still be taking into account how long it took you to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Jim236 wrote: »
    You might have 5 days to finish the test, but they'll obviously still be taking into account how long it took you to finish it.
    I think it says that after the medical tests etc... you will have to do an aptitude test while being supervised so they will know if you cheated during a first test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I'm always disappointed to be colour blind when things like this pop up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 41 The Baltimore Sun

Is it worth applying for this if in your late 20's?

For sure, It might even work in your favour.
    There's a lot of talk about what happens after the four years (getting laid off etc).....After four years, you'll have a minimum of a "National Craft Cert" and at most, you'll be well on your way to being fully licensed to sign off any defect on an aircraft (you cannot achieve this licence in under 5 yrs).
    With the craft cert alone, you'll be snapped up by any airline around Europe. :D
    It's a great opportunity...dont miss out!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

bm92 wrote: »
    I'll def be applying!!

If you want a career working hands on in electrical and mechanical systems go for it

aero eng you'll probably never work on aircraft systems and be confined to an office,thats assuming you ever get a job out of it considering the state of this country.
    people say things will pick up,just remember theres people already qualified with no jobs who will still be looking for jobs in a few years.

if this was last year i'd probably discourage you from any aircraft maintenance work but now i realise myself how lucky i am and have found my old interest in the job again.
    at the end of the day this apprenticeship probably will get you a permanent job if you work hard and theres no substitute for that in todays world no matter how many degrees you have,if its not for you after the time is served your qualification will be recognised and it can lead to many paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 The Baltimore Sun

I opted for the apprentiship and had the chance to work hands-on with aircraft. Nine years later, my aircraft engineers licence allowed me to go back to college part-time and gain a BEng. Had i chosen the accademic route first, I think it would have been far more difficult to get hands-on work (it's pretty much all office work as A320 pointed out).
    Personally, i strongly recommend the Apprentiship route:)

Id have to agree with the lads above, I wish our career guidance teacher wasnt such a feckin snob and gave us balanced opinions, all I got was I HAVE to get a degree, Im almost finished my degree, Ive learned one thing, I dont want to be a "professional" Engineer. I want to get my hands dirty, no amount of salary could make me waste my life behind a computer screen.
    Ive been dragging my ass to college for the past 3 years, honestly I couldnt give a ****e how to draw a heat exchanger in CAD, nor do I care what the Fourrier series is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

ive applied just there. im a qualified electrician which should help but im half deaf in one ear so im not holding my breath but ill try my hardest anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DConway

Anybody any idea what happens when you'v completed the assesment? just finished it there, found some of it difficult! Do you just wait for a response now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jw93

Just finished the assessment there I have to say I wish I had of read the instructions properly on the Logical reasoning section as I didnt have a clue what was going on :o and everything else had went well up until the logical reasoning.

Does anybody know when we can expect to hear anything back?

If anybody hasnt done, aptitude tests before, some of the stuff is quite challenging, if somebody says its easy they are lying...or just wrong :p

I find the best way with these is experience, Ive done them for lots of things Ive applied for, you can buy books about them which guide you through which way to approach and think for the questions.
    I used to be rubbish at the spacial and the non verbal reasoning, but Ive gotten better by reading these books :)

Although Ive done 6 of these and havnt gotten past the aptitude test stage. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭brotherrabbit

I am in my final year of studying engineering in DIT (engineering systems maintenance). So delighted this opportunity has popped up ! did all the tests today. all were fairly straight forward, but the logical reasoning was tricky. Wanted to do this trade before I did the degree but the sad fact was no one was recruiting in 2008. but roll on the interview!!!!

Id have to agree with the lads above, I wish our career guidance teacher wasnt such a feckin snob and gave us balanced opinions, all I got was I HAVE to get a degree, Im almost finished my degree, Ive learned one thing, I dont want to be a "professional" Engineer. I want to get my hands dirty, no amount of salary could make me waste my life behind a computer screen.
    Ive been dragging my ass to college for the past 3 years, honestly I couldnt give a ****e how to draw a heat exchanger in CAD, nor do I care what the Fourrier series is.

Man im in total agreeance...my careers guidance councilor was a fool...told me to do arts. . 3 years later. . . im well up on physics, thermodyndmics and the entire idea of maintenance and how its done and its core elements...but im dying to get stuck into the apprentiship..
    But the degree wont hurt in the interview ;)

If anybody would have an answer to my question it would be greatly appreciated.

Why would a company like Aer Lingus give the opportunity to someone who has just turned 16 to apply ? (im older then that but still wondering :) )

EDIT : Also agree on the guidance councilors, when I was asked what my interests are (this and the automotive trade) I was told that a job working in an office sorting files would be ideal for me. WTF ?? Bare in mind that she didn't even know me an made a judgment like that.

mle1324 wrote: »
    If anybody would have an answer to my question it would be greatly appreciated.

Why would a company like Aer Lingus give the opportunity to someone who has just turned 16 to apply ? (im older then that but still wondering :) )
    This my friend is due to the simple reason that its a trade...governed by the state and fas and revel event skills body. I find it strange too but what the hell give it a shot.! the worst they can say is no..den up skill and re apply (like me :D) I also find it weird you dont get any acridation from the IEI.. considering the skill level...I mean its not your average motor mechanics apprestiship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jw93

Off topic I know but it seems Ryanair are also recruiting apprentices for their Stansted base its definetly worth a look anyway:
    http://www.ryanair.com/en/careers/job/SAMS1803

• Advertisement

This my friend is due to the simple reason that its a trade...governed by the state and fas and revel event skills body. I find it strange too but what the hell give it a shot.! the worst they can say is no..den up skill and re apply (like me :D) I also find it weird you dont get any acridation from the IEI.. considering the skill level...I mean its not your average motor mechanics apprestiship

True but at the end of the day 4 years is a long time and an awful lot could be learned in that time frame.

Advertisement