Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Engineering Apprenticeships 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

You Wont have any problems there, in this day and age no one is expected to lift anything they are not comfortable lifting now matter what size you are.

I may be able to lift stuff for you if your not able but you can be guaranteed there is another guy that would be able to lift sumtin i cant lift for me.

You wont be long building up muscle in your arms anyway from bolting on nutts and bolts. You really dont have anything to worry about.

Its not nearly Physically demanding as being the likes of a Industrial Electrician and at that you prob wouldnt have much bother with that either ;)

Id agree to a extent,

IMO mechanics need to have small hands ;) but on the flip side, even when working on a car, I recentley did a engine overhaul, engine out etc, even with lifting equipment, It left me very tired, and it wasnt easy, there is a amount of physical strength needed, more so than another job, there is no point in codding yourself. In a confined space, (like under a car) you tire very easily doing the simplest things, But you do get used to it and as you said theres always help if you cant do something, you just have to realise when to ask :).
    besides, theres nothing a lever wont sort out, Im not terribly strong, but I can undo anything, all you need is imagination and the right equipment :).

Also Id get prepared for skinned knuckles and cuts and bruises :)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Captainskidmark i might hole you to that :P...well i deff have small hands and my knuckles have been skinned and cut to bits so dont mind that...hmmm avionics....i suck at electronics have never passed an electronics exam the 1st time round so think i'll be avoidin avionics where at all possible...thanks everyone dont feel as worried now :D

One more question do most people applyin for this have some kinda of education got to do with this or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

bradyle wrote: »
    Captainskidmark i might hole you to that :P...well i deff have small hands and my knuckles have been skinned and cut to bits so dont mind that...hmmm avionics....i suck at electronics have never passed an electronics exam the 1st time round so think i'll be avoidin avionics where at all possible...thanks everyone dont feel as worried now :D

One more question do most people applyin for this have some kinda of education got to do with this or not.

I can only speak for myself but I have no experience in the engineering or mechanics sector. To be honest a lot of apprentices are school leavers, some of whom start their apprenticeship before they do their Leaving Cert so I wouldn't worry about your experience or qualifications, it's the aptitude that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Jesus why did I not see this earlier.
    I would have loved to do that doing leaving cert this year :mad:
    Does anyone no if there will be more Apprenticeships this year in aviation or will there be one next year because I heard noting about this..
    I feel this is the best route for me to go to become a airline pilot as i cannot pay a few 100k to go the straight forward way

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Jesus why did I not see this earlier.
    I would have loved to do that doing leaving cert this year :mad:
    Does anyone no if there will be more Apprenticeships this year in aviation or will there be one next year because I heard noting about this..
    I feel this is the best route for me to go to become a airline pilot as i cannot pay a few 100k to go the straight forward way

It's unfortunate that you missed out. I only found out about it because I saw this thread! While the opportunity to do an apprenticeship with an airline may not present itself again in the near future you can always apply to do an apprenticeship in aircraft maintenance with Shannon Aerospace. http://www.shannonaerospace.com/shannonaerospace/careers/traineeships/amt.html

It would be worth sending them an email and showing your interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

It's unfortunate that you missed out. I only found out about it because I saw this thread! While the opportunity to do an apprenticeship with an airline may not present itself again in the near future you can always apply to do an apprenticeship in aircraft maintenance with Shannon Aerospace. http://www.shannonaerospace.com/shannonaerospace/careers/traineeships/amt.html

It would be worth sending them an email and showing your interest.

AFAIK their training programme is gone for the forseeable future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

RugbyLad11 wrote: »

I don't see how doing an engineers apprenticeship will help you become a pilot. If money is the issue, go to college and get a good degree, and get a well paid job and just save up till you can afford it.

Or try going for the Air Corps Cadetship next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Ryanair was also taking on apprentices have a look at it next year, but i think they are doing their training in scotland not ireland.

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    Ryanair was also taking on apprentices have a look at it next year, but i think they are doing their training in scotland not ireland.

Ryanair apprenticeships are being done in Stansted.

Is anyone else getting really impatient? I'd like to have some idea of when to hear something from EI. Getting fed up of checking my emails with anticipation every day! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭brotherrabbit

i reckon we shall be waiting until june

Theyve just advertised for Dublin apprentices,it'l involve being in shannon for about a year then dublin but dont be suprised if your in prestwick and when you finish dont expect to be definitely dublin based.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

@jim326,
    Hundreds of Irish CPLs are ex-engineers. All of the airlines in Ireland have recruited plenty of people who started in aviation at the toolbox.It's been a very useful route to the cockpit for many a pilot.
    regards
    Stovepipe

true as stovepipe said,2 of my buddies left the job in the last 3 years and now fly for an airline

Stovepipe wrote: »
    @jim326,
    Hundreds of Irish CPLs are ex-engineers. All of the airlines in Ireland have recruited plenty of people who started in aviation at the toolbox.It's been a very useful route to the cockpit for many a pilot.

Where did I say otherwise? What RugbyLad11 was saying was that he couldn't afford the 100k to become a pilot. My point was that becoming an aircraft engineer isn't going to change the fact that you'll still have to spend 100k to become a pilot.

Woohoo! I've just been invited to interview! Check your inbox people!

I'm delighted!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DConway

Congrats
    I wonder will they let people know either way, if they got it or not?
    Just checked inbox, no word!

Thanks DConway.

I'm sure they will email everyone either way, hopefully you get good news!

Congrats emmettogra, i haven't heard from them yet though... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kkk1985

Woohoo! I've just been invited to interview! Check your inbox people!

I'm delighted!!! :D

me too.:D
    just picked my date and time there now...
    :):)

• Advertisement

Thanks Darius.Tr, I'd say the emails will be staggered over a few days, the volume of applications was probably high.

Congratulations kkk1985, I presume everyone gets a different choice of the dates and times or do you think there will be a number of people going in on each time slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Just got the email for the interview. Chuffed!:)

Still nothing here.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Didn't get called for an interview. Thought I did quite well in the aptitude test but obviously not. Hopefully have more luck in the ESB one. Well done to everyone who got an interview and good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

Johner wrote: »
    Didn't get called for an interview. Thought I did quite well in the aptitude test but obviously not. Hopefully have more luck in the ESB one. Well done to everyone who got an interview and good luck with it.

Apply for Ryanair!

FOGOFUNK wrote: »
    Apply for Ryanair!
    I think it says that you need to have some work experience in aviation sector for ryanair so that's a problem for some of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Got a interview too, gunna give you lads some competition! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

I think it says that you need to have some work experience in aviation sector for ryanair so that's a problem for some of us...
    Experience and Qualifications:
    Together with good hands on capability, candidates must have a good understanding of Mathematics, Physics and demonstrate a keen interest in one of the following areas, Electrics, Electronics and Mechanics.

Applicants should be a minimum of 16 years of age, have a mechanical/electrical aptitude and obtained the following minimum grades in Junior Certificate or equivalent:

* Irish & English Grade C
    * Mathematics Grade C
    * One Science subject Grade B
    * and/or Metalwork Grade B
    * and/or Technical Graphics Grade B

Selection will be based on a Technical Interview and a Practical Test. Selection will take place in June/July and the Apprenticeship will commence in September 2011.

Only those who meet all of the above requirements will be considered. Applicants should send a full CV detailing exam results and quoting reference number FRAPPDUB to Fiona Diffney on diffneyf@ryanair.com

Closing Date: 15/06/2011

You sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kkk1985

Congratulations kkk1985, I presume everyone gets a different choice of the dates and times or do you think there will be a number of people going in on each time slot?

i'm not sure to be honest. the dates i was given were between the 4th and 6th of july with four time slots on each day. as the app tests are on with the interviews i would think it will be in groups... but then again i'm just guessing.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

i guess the test on the day will be similar to the one we did online?

Advertisement