Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCOMMODATION SUPERTHREAD! **Read first post before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Whoever said that we needn't look till July was talking bs, my friends and I are finding it hard to find a place that hasn't already gone for next year!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Whoever said that we needn't look till July was talking bs, my friends and I are finding it hard to find a place that hasn't already gone for next year!

Probably because most landlords won't have bothered to put their houses back up daft.ie or back in with the college accomodation lists as they are maybe hoping to keep their current tenants or haven't started to worry yet. My landlord has told me my house is available but that he hasn't made any attempt to fill it yet.

Trust me there will be plenty of houses. For starters, think of all the 3rd years who are moving out in a few weeks and will be leaving empty homes to fill.
    Think of all the leaving cert students who find off-campus accomodation and they don't even start looking until the end of August.
    And finally think about the fact that all year round there are houses available to rent, there are more houses than there are students.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 alorropop

Hey, we will have a single room available from start of June to September. Only €230 per month (€57.50 per week) :)
    Huge house in Meadowbrook, sharing with 3 postgrads, 2 guys and a girl.
    All the usual stuff, internet, dishwasher, washing maching etc.
    PM me if you're interested :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭musicloverx

Hi just wondering if someone could give me some advice, I'm not sure whether I'll definitely be going to maynooth yet til august but i'm worried I won't have accomodation, should I put my name down now or is it too late?..thanks guys

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Hi just wondering if someone could give me some advice, I'm not sure whether I'll definitely be going to maynooth yet til august but i'm worried I won't have accomodation, should I put my name down now or is it too late?..thanks guys

Defo put your name down now. You have plenty of time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 tzer

Just wondering when is the best time to start looking for accommodation for next year. Should I start looking now or wait until June when most of the students will have moved out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Oh! I've a question, I applied for on-campus yesterday (6th year here.) but I didn't get an email, should I have?! :confused:

And do you think I applied too late and that I won't get it? :(

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Oh! I've a question, I applied for on-campus yesterday (6th year here.) but I didn't get an email, should I have?! :confused:

And do you think I applied too late and that I won't get it? :(

I didn't apply til June/July when I was in 6th year and I still got it! As long as you apply before results in August I'm pretty sure that you'll be fine!

And I'm pretty sure that you're not meant to get an email!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I didn't apply til June/July when I was in 6th year and I still got it! As long as you apply before results in August I'm pretty sure that you'll be fine!

And I'm pretty sure that you're not meant to get an email!

Thanks a million. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

We haz a room in Moyglare Abbey from September to May, rent is 266 a month, for a single room. House is 15 min walk to college, and at moment is 1 couple, and 3 other girls :P
    PM if interested, was have photies and details, sort of need to know by Friday though, Monday of next week at latest :/

House gone :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

Looking for someone to fill a single room, rent is 210 a month all year round, located in Griffin Rath Hall. Need to have the room filled before the 18th, as we sign our new lease. Lease is for 6months with the option to renew! All mod cons inclusive of high speed internet etc. Bins are paid for by the landlord, who is a lovely dude :)

Sharing with 2 guys and 2 gals, but house is three storeys, so it's not mad cramped. PM for details :)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

Hey everyone,

Myself and the boyfriend are looking for a double room for the year. We're both mid 20's and tidy. PM me if you have acommodation you're looking to fill.

Thanks
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nabacliom

Hi! I'm in a bit of a situation and would love some help and advice.. I agreed to share a house with 3 people I know from college. They're really nice lads and I'd love to live with them. However, a few personal issues have come up and due to them, I'll be taking a year out. The thing is, the 3 guys have already paid the deposit for the house and they're waiting for me. I feel really bad for letting them down and don't know what to do. I don't want to tell them the whole story but I don't want them to think I'm fobbing them off either..? Should I try and find a replacement for the room? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭xoaudhep

Hi :)

Myself and a friend are looking to move to Maynooth in September. We wanted to rent a house but are having trouble finding other people to rent with? Anybody have any advice?
    I've seen a few houses online that would work out quite cheap if we could find another 2 or 3 people to share with! Is anyone else in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

xoaudhep wrote: »
    Hi :)

Myself and a friend are looking to move to Maynooth in September. We wanted to rent a house but are having trouble finding other people to rent with? Anybody have any advice?
    I've seen a few houses online that would work out quite cheap if we could find another 2 or 3 people to share with! Is anyone else in the same boat?

Hi, myself and two other lads are also looking for some people to share a house with, give me a PM dude and maybe we can sort somethign out cheers? are you finding it hard to get a house cause we are finding it quite hard to find one ourselves...

nabacliom wrote: »
    Hi! I'm in a bit of a situation and would love some help and advice.. I agreed to share a house with 3 people I know from college. They're really nice lads and I'd love to live with them. However, a few personal issues have come up and due to them, I'll be taking a year out. The thing is, the 3 guys have already paid the deposit for the house and they're waiting for me. I feel really bad for letting them down and don't know what to do. I don't want to tell them the whole story but I don't want them to think I'm fobbing them off either..? Should I try and find a replacement for the room? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would say definitely tell them so they have as much time as possible to get a replacement, and maybe offer to help them search? Just explain to them the way you explained to us here! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭xoaudhep

does anybody know how you get the housing list?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

It's on here but only "local access" though. :confused:
    http://residence.nuim.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Hi,potential first year here wondering about on-campus accomodation. I've only heard bad things about Rye so not looking for anything there! As for the other options:

River-single
    River-twin
    village-single

which is best? Is there a great difference between Village and River and would anyone recommend which is best to have, a single or twin bedroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Zipp101 wrote: »
    Hi,potential first year here wondering about on-campus accomodation. I've only heard bad things about Rye so not looking for anything there! As for the other options:

River-single
    River-twin
    village-single

which is best? Is there a great difference between Village and River and would anyone recommend which is best to have, a single or twin bedroom?

Single river definatly, didnt live on campus last year but river is definatly the best place, their living rooms are very large too so good for house parties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Zipp101 wrote: »

River-single
    River-twin
    village-single

I was in River-twin last year and I found it grand, the only thing is I knew who I was going t be sharing a room with before I got in ( my twin ). So if you don't know who you're going to be sharing a room with and this doesn't really bother you, then go for it. The twin rooms are easier to get because most people won't want them... meaning if you're in early you're a very good chance of being offered it. They're also cheaper than a single room in River, Rye or Village as far as I know. You won't get your own bathroom, but you'll only have to share it with your roomate and not the rest of your flatmates ( which is the case in Rye and Village), which was grand for me because I knew my roomate before but if you're not comfortable sharing a room with a 'stranger' then it might not be best for you.

In saying that, you'd probably get to know them, sure they'd be in the same position as you and you'd probably be grand!

G'luck either way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭markievicz

xoaudhep wrote: »
    does anybody know how you get the housing list?

Ring the accomodation office and they'll email it to you! I don't live near campus so they send it out to me. Ring before 5 though because they close after that!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ceez

Hey:)

Myself and a friend will be starting our Masters in September and are looking for 1 or 2 other posgrads to join us - would make looking for a house sooo much easier. We did our degrees in Maynooth, so anyone that will be new to the area, we'd be ideal to move in with. Ya'll have the place sussed out in a week or less with us:D

We're both 20 - so we're looking for a bit of craic, but nothing to undergrad standars :p

Private message me, if you are interested or looking two people to join yee in a house:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ceez

ceez wrote: »
    Hey:)

Myself and a friend will be starting our Masters in September and are looking for 1 or 2 other posgrads to join us - would make looking for a house sooo much easier. We did our degrees in Maynooth, so anyone that will be new to the area, we'd be ideal to move in with. Ya'll have the place sussed out in a week or less with us:D

We're both 20 - so we're looking for a bit of craic, but nothing to undergrad standars :p

Private message me, if you are interested or looking two people to join yee in a house:)

ANYONE? :o

EDIT: House gone now, thanks guys :)

Ah lads,

Why does everyone have room for people in Maynooth but I can't find anything in Dublin!

If anyone knows anyone looking for an extra roomate in the city, particularly around Grand Canal Dock/IFSC/Pearse Street etc please let me know!I cannot keep commuting from Wicklow!

I do go to Maynooth btw (as most of you prob know) but I'm on work placement this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

Hey guys, myself and two of my friends have a house in Kingsbry lined up to move into on Sept 1st, however our fourth person has pulled out and we stand the risk of losing the house :( So just wondering if anyone is looking for a place.

PM sent. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭clairemcbear

We've a room available in a 5 bed house in cluain aoibhinn.. it's a big single room,could fit a double bed. 300 a month for rent,sharing with 4 21 year olds,two lads two girls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Could anyone give me a ball park figure of how much you would need moneywise to live in maynooth a week? plz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Difficult one! I'll tell you roughly how much it costs me and you can have a guess how much it would cost yourself. Rent is 75 a week for a double room for me, bills would work out as under 20 euro a week including heating in the winter. Food then, I cook in bulk so probably only spend about 20 to 30 euro a week on food, I rarely eat lunch out though, so add in 20 euro extra a week if you're having a few lunches. Then random stuff like buses, trains, etc might cost 20 euro a week.

I'd say I spend 50 euro in cash a week on average then bills on top. But I'm fairly frugal, don't drink much so take that into account ;)

Advertisement