Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCOMMODATION SUPERTHREAD! **Read first post before posting**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Pretty sure it was late April-ish last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I got campus for three years, so it does indeed happen, just the luck of the draw really! You can put down on the application form that you want to live with second years (or if you want to live with particular people).

You could apply to be an RA either; if you get the job you'd be on campus for sure. And RAs get their rent paid for them.

Whats an RA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Residence Assistant - you can ring them if you get locked out of your apartment or if you want them to break up a party or whatever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Ah ha I got locked out of my room on Friday night at 1.30 aqnd had no credit to ring the RA so I broke into my own room with a bit of plastic. Handier than the hassle of ringing them and waiting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 plug_in_baby

Hi guys,

I'm applying for on-campus accomodation for next year (I'll be a wee first year:p) and just had a few questions about them, for those of you who've stayed there.

In your opinion which is the "best" complex to stay in, River, Rye or Village? River is the most expensive but does that nessecarily mean the best quality? ( I know it's student accomodation so I'll use the term loosly!)
    I do want my own room but I wouldn't mind sharing a bathroom, so which should I apply to to have the best chance of getting a single room?

What's the heating like in them? I'm a cold creature, so heating is important lol!

And finally do some of the apartments have wireless broadband or is it all wired? I'd really like wireless if I could get it!

Thanks in advance, much appreciated :D !!

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

I'm applying for on-campus accomodation for next year (I'll be a wee first year:p) and just had a few questions about them, for those of you who've stayed there.

In your opinion which is the "best" complex to stay in, River, Rye or Village? River is the most expensive but does that nessecarily mean the best quality? ( I know it's student accomodation so I'll use the term loosly!)
    I do want my own room but I wouldn't mind sharing a bathroom, so which should I apply to to have the best chance of getting a single room?

Personally, if you don't mind sharing a bathroom I'd go for Village. All the rooms are single, and it's not as ridiculously expensive as River. Also the couches are really comfy :pac:
    What's the heating like in them? I'm a cold creature, so heating is important lol!

Village has storage heaters in the bedrooms (and kitchen I think, but I can't remember exactly - there's definitely some sort of radiator in the kitchen though). River just has regular central heating. i actually found both apartments I lived in very warm, but I'm not a cold person so that mightn't be much help for you :p
    And finally do some of the apartments have wireless broadband or is it all wired? I'd really like wireless if I could get it!

Thanks in advance, much appreciated :D !!

Village has wireless internet, and River and Rye are wired. Although our esteemed SU President-Elect wants to try and get wireless in all the apartments so that might not be a problem by the time you arrive.

Personally, if you don't mind sharing a bathroom I'd go for Village. All the rooms are single, and it's not as ridiculously expensive as River. Also the couches are really comfy :pac:

Village has storage heaters in the bedrooms (and kitchen I think, but I can't remember exactly - there's definitely some sort of radiator in the kitchen though). River just has regular central heating. i actually found both apartments I lived in very warm, but I'm not a cold person so that mightn't be much help for you :p

Village has wireless internet, and River and Rye are wired. Although our esteemed SU President-Elect wants to try and get wireless in all the apartments so that might not be a problem by the time you arrive.

As She said.

from everything you want Village is defo the best for you. I lpve the heaters there too. they're so warm! And I'm a very cold person!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 plug_in_baby

Thanks a mill for the info guys!! I'll be applying to Village so;)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Ok so me thinks I'll be moving back to Maynooth next Sept, and I'm just wondering what way to go about it? I've heard to start looking in April, where would I start??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Ok so me thinks I'll be moving back to Maynooth next Sept, and I'm just wondering what way to go about it? I've heard to start looking in April, where would I start??

You can start looking in September and still get a decent house. There is absolutely no rush to start now. July would probably be best as most of the student houses would be empty and landlords who haven't got new tenants/summer tenants will be wanting to get something sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Definitely no rush, buyers market and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 thekiddfran2

hi guys, I am a postgrad currently living in a lovely house in Parklands. One of the guys living with me will be finishing up in may so we need another person to rent with us for the summer and next year.

Rent is 68 per week including 20mb broadband and bins. The room is a doublebed. The house has all mod and cons. Massive kitchen with two fridges, freezer, dishwasher, dryer. oh and we also have a 52 inch tv for the xbox/ps3.:D

We are very busy postgrads so only serious applicants should apply.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ehhender

I'm hoping to be in Maynooth in the fall as a visiting international student from the United States for Semester I. I am looking for accommodation (the cheaper, the better) and was wondering if there was anyone looking for a roommate, or know or anyone who is.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭westdub15

are there many houses or apartments available on a monthly basis? i mean without signing a year lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Anyone here need an extra person for a cheap house over the summer?
    Let me know by pm.
    I need to find a place before June.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Hi all, I was planning on booking accomodation if I get into NUIM when offers come around in August.
    I have a few questions to ask;

1. What is the total cost per year to get accomodation at NUIM for a single/double bedroom house?

2. Do you book in august, this would make sense as the LC results come out then?

3. Are you guaranteed a housemate/roommate? I would love to share with someone I will meet in college

4. Is the price per year/per week paid in full by both house sharers or is it split for 40E a week?

5. Is there many shelves etc. for college stuff like books and copies?

6. Is it worth it, whats the craic like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

I was just wondering does anybody know when current students will find out about On-Campus accommodation?

It's probably been mentioned somewhere, just I can't find it! :)

Is accomodation sold out yet?

I heard about deposits and want to book a.s.a.p.

Problem is I won't know if I get into Maynooth until august?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

karaokeman wrote: »

Dude, relax! She's already in Maynooth, they save 40% of the places for first years. Apply now, and if you end up not going to Maynooth they don't consider you, and you don't gage to pay the deposit till sept if you do get in :) It's 4000 and something for the year, though generally you pay by semester. You will have generally 4-6 housemates on-campus. They're apartments, not houses, there's enough storage and the craic is mighty :) I'm on my phone so I may have left somethig out of this...

karaokeman wrote: »

Listen to what squishykins said above, there's no need to be worrying! You don't pay your deposit for campus accommodation until you accept your place in NUIM.

Here's a link to the Residence Office website, where you can apply for campus accommodation.

If you don't get a place on campus, there'll be loads of houses down town to look at as well. There's a list on the website, or you can get it outside the office. Loads of places on websites like daft.ie too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 BeneGal

Is anyone waiting to hear about whether they got campus for 2011/2012 today?
    They told us 3pm, then 3.30pm. It's nearly 5 now and driving me mad!

(slow day at work :P)

BeneGal wrote: »
    Is anyone waiting to hear about whether they got campus for 2011/2012 today?
    They told us 3pm, then 3.30pm. It's nearly 5 now and driving me mad!

(slow day at work :P)
    An email will be issued by 3pm today 3rd May to inform you if you have got campus accommodation. If you have not, you may be placed on a waiting list and could still get campus and should get an email within a few days.

No email, no place on campus is the impression I got!
    Anyone get an email saying that they hadn't gotten a place?!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

Well, I haven't gotten a second e-mail, but I haven't seen any tweets/statii from anyone expressing their glee at having got a place either...so I have no idea what's going on!

A Changer wrote: »
    Well, I haven't gotten a second e-mail, but I haven't seen any tweets/statii from anyone expressing their glee at having got a place either...so I have no idea what's going on!

I know someone who got an email last friday at 11 saying that she'd gotten it!

Jesus, they're very late letting people know this year. I remember it was the start of April when I found out other years.

At least if anyone ends up not getting campus, they can look for a house down the town; which will invariably be much cheaper and nicer than the apartments.

Friend got an email saying he didn't get it today. Another got one saying that he did!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

I know someone who got an email last friday at 11 saying that she'd gotten it!

Ah, since you wrote that, the celebratory tweets and statii have begun to fill up my feeds! Still nothing in my inbox, though, which is a mixed blessing. At least it'll only be getting cheaper from here! :D

A Changer wrote: »
    Ah, since you wrote that, the celebratory tweets and statii have begun to fill up my feeds! Still nothing in my inbox, though, which is a mixed blessing. At least it'll only be getting cheaper from here! :D

Just gotten an offer myself!
    Pity I can't take it! :D

Ok I'm cool for accomodation.

I saw a cool restaurant near the student centre.

I wanted to try breakfast on the university day but it wasn't being served that day.

I can't remember the name of the place but is it open to students? I would love to pop up every morning as I'm no good with making breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Have two rooms becoming free in our house soon. Start of June, single room, 225 euro per month. Start of July, master bedroom, 325 euro per month.

Would suit someone looking for place over summer or someone looking for a long term thing. House is huge, sharing with 2 postgrads. All mod cons, internet/digital tv, washer and dryer and dishwasher and huge back garden. In nice quiet part of town too. PM me if interested.

Advertisement