Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCOMMODATION SUPERTHREAD! **Read first post before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

It's just really annoying when I'm trying to get some work done! Definitely not living here next year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

The reputations:

River: More expensive but you get your own bathroom, leather couches and a tv. The 'posh' place. One twin room in most apartments. Can be mixed sex

Village: The best value. Best craic on campus, always something going on. 2 bathrooms between 5. Tends to be single sex. If you're looking for quiet, probably not the best choice.

Rye: Generally known as the **** ones! Not in the best condition from what I have heard compared to the other two. Don't know much about Rye tbh, not many do! :P

I'm a Village girl. Have lived in Mullin for first and second year and I love it. I don't need the ensuite and love the cosiness and warmth of the rooms. The heaters are amazing! Like I said the craic is nearly always better here too, which can be good and bad! I would defo stick with River of the three though!

Disclaimer: I am willing to be corrected on anything I have said, this is all based on personal experience and hearsay

Leather couches are hard as ****, and tv is **** in River. Also internet is wired whereas it's wi-fi everywhere else. So you can't use internet in the kitchen. Doesn't bother me but it does plenty others...Plenty noisy too.

I don't think Rye are that bad in fairness! They're all too expensive IMO though. It's great being so close to everything, but it's awful at the same time :P

amyputz wrote: »
    Leather couches are hard as ****, and tv is **** in River. Also internet is wired whereas it's wi-fi everywhere else. So you can't use internet in the kitchen. Doesn't bother me but it does plenty others...Plenty noisy too.

I don't think Rye are that bad in fairness! They're all too expensive IMO though. It's great being so close to everything, but it's awful at the same time :P

I knew I'd forgotten something! Village is the only one with wireless. River and Rye are wired!

I will admit that I have never been in Rye but from everything that I have heard from people who have lived there I haven't gotten the best impression!

We are actually getting some of the cheapest on-campus accommodation amongst all the universities. Read an article in the DCU paper that was talking about that so we're actually doing well!

Rye isn't wired? Or so I'm told?

• Advertisement

It was 100% definitely wired last year

According to this it is too.

I think some people are able to catch a bit of the wireless from JH though

Ah ok nvm then :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

You can technically get wireless in River if you live in Carrick :D seeing as it's closest to Village. Probably in Dodder too.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ugh.Im.Clashing

I was in Rye 23 last year and I discovered that I had perfect wireless internet connection when I was lying on my bed! Had to find out during exams as well XD.

I lived in two different Rye Hall apartments last year due to not getting along with the first group of people I was living with and I can say that I'd never live there again. The only pros are that it's so close to campus and you can switch on the radiators at the wall. Maybe I was just unlucky last year, it's different for everyone. I'm not on campus this year and I much prefer it this way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Village have the nicest rooms for me - a fan of small rooms! You can make them really homely. After a long day and all you feel is homesick. Nothing bates it squire.

• Advertisement

Oh I can get wireless in my kitchen, but it's not great :P

Does anyone reckon I'll get my deposit back if I leave at Christmas? It doesn't hold any obligation over me to stay at that stage, so I should right?

Does anyone reckon I'll get my deposit back if I leave at Christmas? It doesn't hold any obligation over me to stay at that stage, so I should right?
    I think you have to stay for the whole year to get your deposit back :/ pretty sure it says so in the lease... but go and ask in the Residence office to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

Did you sign a lease agreement or anything that stated a "notice to quit" time limit when you moved in? If you did then follow it and give in the notice it stipulates....(I know mine is one month). Even if the lease was being wound up earlier than expected, I'd still expect the deposit to be given back once the agreed notice had been given.

Your landlord might use the argument that it will be very difficult for him/ her to find anybody new to take your space at this point in the year and that they are within their rights to hold onto the deposit...as some form of compensation for the rent they will lose.

It all goes back to what you agreed in the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Howdy all, I'm planning to move down to Maynooth in February.
    If anyone knows of a (preferably posdgrad environment) room in the 250 p/m range, send me a pm, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 emmaocal

We have a room in a lovely house in Maynooth, €220-240 depending on which way we split the rent. Postgrads. Carton Court, Chorus internet and cable tv., all mod cons. Refurbished house. Will prob go quickly so pm me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Fraochin

Hey everyone,

We have a room available in our house in Maynooth from feb 7th. It's a bungalow and the room available is the entire top floor, large double bedroom with en-suite. It's a nicely decorated house with two 26yr old females. We are looking for a mature or postgrad student or a professional, male or female, so if you're interested pm me!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Does anyone know how difficult it is for second years to get on-campus accomodation, and would you be sharing with other second years or is it randomly assigned?

Jonah42 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how difficult it is for second years to get on-campus accomodation, and would you be sharing with other second years or is it randomly assigned?

Well I managed it and I know a good few others who did too! It's as randomly assigned as it was for first year! But you can request to live with people if you want! I did but that fell through but I know that others got who they requested

I got campus for three years, so it does indeed happen, just the luck of the draw really! You can put down on the application form that you want to live with second years (or if you want to live with particular people).

You could apply to be an RA either; if you get the job you'd be on campus for sure. And RAs get their rent paid for them.

• Advertisement

Nice one. Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

My international student is wondering what her chances of getting into on-campus accommodation for this semester? She's applied for it but didn't get it initially and wants to keep trying as she doesn't like off-campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

I've a double room available. Moyglare Village. 340 euro a month. PM me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

Hi,

I'm looking for an apartment/ studio for the summer months in Maynooth. I'm currently living in a house with a few other students but once the summer rolls around, they're all planning on leaving for home. I'm working in a restaurant in Maynooth and don't plan on going home, but I obviously can't afford the rent by myself. Does anyone know what the chances of getting an apartment or studio in Maynooth for just three months??

Does anyone know how much River and Village apartments cost a week?

Does anyone know how much River and Village apartments cost a week?

€90 for village and €110 for river iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

The campus accomodation prices are extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

I'm going to view a 2 bed (1 double, 1 twin) apartment in Manor Mills tomorrow for the three months over the summer. The advertised cost of the rent is €900 but I'm going to see how low I can get the landlord to drop it.

Does anyone have any idea what sort of money we could expect to pay for it since there are so many empty apartments over the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭manna

Last summer you could get a room in a house in Moyglare for €40 per week. I'm fairly sure the particular house I was looking at had term-time rent of about €75.

An apartment over Dunnes is going to be a fair bit more than that, but it shows how much things can change over the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Bhoy_

Anyone know when they let current students know if they got a place on campus?

Advertisement