Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When atheists go too far

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

RichieC wrote: »
    Why? he can create universes, can he not talk?

Where did I say He couldn't? God uses mankind as partners with Him in His work. That's why we have prophets and the Bible.
    oh and since we are made in his image, does he get hiccups too? what about his apendix? does he have a tail bone?

The Hebrew word for image is tselem. It means reflection / image. It signifies a duty to mankind to reflect God by following Him. We decided to go our own way and as such we broke the image. It doesn't
    Did he always have his form or is he an advanced being evolved from lower creatures that occupied his planet?

What form? God is immaterial in Christian and Jewish opinion, hence why I found your suggestion that God was an old bearded man a few posts ago to be very peculiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Gotta love Christopher Hitchens.

I'd love to have the clarity of thought and conviction of Hitchens and others like him.

Cooper: Christopher I'm not sure if you believe in Heaven but if you do - do you think Jerry Falwell is in it?

Hitchens: No, and I think it's a pity there isn't a hell for him to go to.

Top class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

philologos wrote: »
    My allegiance to God isn't blind, it's the result of years of careful consideration.
    And I suppose if god asked you to kill your (hypothetical?) son to prove your loyalty to him you would. Would you?
    Seems he gets an evil kick out of doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Where did I say He couldn't? God uses mankind as partners with Him in His work. That's why we have prophets and the Bible.
    If God wanted to convert everybody why rely on man to spread his message to a skeptic world? There are an infinite of ways he could do it ensuring everyone believes and everyone is saved.

He chose the one way that could be imitated and replicated by charlatans resulting in these debates.

Of course "God has a plan", right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

What form? God is immaterial in Christian and Jewish opinion, hence why I found your suggestion that God was an old bearded man a few posts ago to be very peculiar.

Ah so he's just like a ball of gas or something? maybe he evolved on a gas giant somewhere.. interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Antikythera

God loves everyone.

And mainly choirboys. He loves them a lot.

Ah so he's just like a ball of gas or something? maybe he evolved on a gas giant somewhere.. interesting.

Gas would also be material :pac:

How convenient!

Gas would also be material :pac:

He is immaterial. Cannot be observed or tested. He is unknowable in the scientific sense and thus cannot be debated with logical or rational arguments. It is a belief, nothing more and nothing less. You are debating the undebatable.

Have faith, but don't believe you can convince an analytical skeptic who doesn't share your faith.

Faith can only be agreed upon by those who have faith.

God is immaterial in Christian and Jewish opinion,

Another contradiction of theists.

You can't have consciousness without matter and yet 'gods' are very conscious despite being immaterial.

• Advertisement

Another contradiction of theists.

You can't have consciousness without matter and yet 'gods' are very conscious despite being immaterial.

If God is the Creator of all things, including the laws of physics, chemistry and biology why would He Himself be bound by them? Especially when Christians and Jews believe that God exists external to the universe.

If God is the Creator of all things, including the laws of physics, chemistry and biology why would He Himself be bound by them? Especially when Christians and Jews believe that God exists external to the universe.

maybe thats why he's been quiet so long, it takes a lot of time for information to reach the outer limits of our universe.. he's still waiting on a reply from 2000 years ago.. man he'll pissed when he see's what we done to his child :(

Christians and Jews believe that God exists external to the universe.

They have been taught to believe. If they'd been given a chance to develop a mind of their own, they would believe no such nonsense.

All religious vs atheist discussion

=

This:

Round and round the arguments go

Where will it stop? Nobody cares.

They have been taught to believe. If they'd been given a chance to develop a mind of their own, they would believe no such nonsense.

Many Christians have decided to follow God based on their own independent thinking. Your argument also falls flat in the case of converts. Most Christians I've met are about as free thinking as any atheist.

Many Christians have decided to follow God based on their own independent thinking. Your argument also falls flat in the case of converts. Most Christians I've met are about as free thinking as any atheist.

no.. seriously, no.. they are following the teachings of a very old religion, that by its very definition is not "independent thinking"]

If I believed in a almighty god called Coxplax who made us from snake oil in the center of a sun and worshiped him? independent thinking

(all rights reserved)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Just wondering, where in the Bible does it say that you will burn forever?

As far as I remember from my teachings, it was a temporary type of thing i.e. you got sent to hell until you were sufficiently punished/ learned your lesson, and then you were allowed to go "upstairs".

Many Christians have decided to follow God based on their own independent thinking.

Oxymoron.
    Most Christians I've met are about as free thinking as any atheist.

Oxymoron.

RichieC: They themselves have decided to follow it in many cases.

farna_boy wrote: »

As far as I remember from my teachings, it was a temporary type of thing i.e. you got sent to hell until you were sufficiently punished/ learned your lesson, and then you were allowed to go "upstairs".
    Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

Quick Google brings that right up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

If God is going to communicate Himself to us of course He's going to use humans. That's just common sense.

No, it's not common sense actually. This all-powerful being really couldn't find a better method to tell in the world that he is their owner? He could have done anything. He could have made the stars spell out "I am God", he could have made a message appear on everyones TV. He could make the message flash before everyones eyes. But no, he has to plant his 'son' in the most superstitious illiterate part of the world that he could find and wait over a thousand years for the rest of the world to find out. And to this day only
    about a third of the world believes it happened. Not exactly the most efficient solution is it?

In the case of the Old Testament a manuscript of Isaiah was found in Qumran in 1948 and it was demonstrated to be an exact match to the manuscripts that were used in translation then.
    Chinese whispers doesn't involve things that are written down. I was referring to the Old Testament and how the stories of a super-natural interfering being (although for some reason he doesn't seem to interfere in the modern educated world) could have been told orally for a long time before they were written down.

I don't see how it is impossible at all. The Bible is very clear that God loved us and that God loves us. The question is do we love Him?
    For every bible quote that says that your god loves us I can find one that describes him committing genocide or advocating slavery, stoning and rape. The point I was trying to make is that you most likely had an outside influence to 'help' you determine which excerpts (the evil ones) aren't supposed to be taken literally.

Anyway, I don't think that you responded to my question earlier asking how do you know your god is good if you depend on your god to tell you what is good and what isn't? How do you know you aren't worshipping satan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

farna_boy wrote: »

If you're Catholic the teachings change all the time.

RichieC: They themselves have decided to follow it in many cases.

Most are raised into it. the few "born agains" usually fall on hard times with drink drugs or sex/ money before they start banging on about god.. which isn't independent thinking, it's despair.

Mark200 wrote: »
    although for some reason he doesn't seem to interfere in the modern educated world

God is still cracking out the Messiahs.

Most are raised into it. the few "born agains" usually fall on hard times with drink drugs or sex/ money before they start banging on about god.. which isn't independent thinking, it's despair.

And you're not stereotyping there at all? :pac:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And you're not stereotyping there at all? :pac:

I don't believe so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

God loves everyone. He has prepared a way for everyone to be saved and to enter into a relationship with Him.

But if you dont choose to be saved/choose to enter into a relationship with him, he doesnt just say 'oh sorry, no heaven for you', he doesnt just, eh, turn the other cheek.....? What does he do? He actually chooses to make you burn in agony for eternity. And you think that is just.

What a sick view you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Gotta love Christopher Hitchens.

Some opening line there. "It's just a pity there isn't a hell for him to go to" :D

• Advertisement

drkpower wrote: »
    But if you dont choose to be saved/choose to enter into a relationship with him, he doesnt just say 'oh sorry, no heaven for you', he doesnt just, eh, turn the other cheek.....? What does he do? He actually chooses to make you burn in agony for eternity. And you think that is just.

What a sick view you have.

He doesnt have a cheek to turn, my good man. He's immaterial.

Advertisement