Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When atheists go too far

Options
1414243444547»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

One that I guess is fueled by the human arrogant wish to be "special" and they think some how if we explain what it is to be human that it will take away from that specialness
    Mind you, religious people are often on about how specially bad they are; they're sinners, deserving of punishment, 'not worthy to receive you'...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Maybe we need a Rule 34 for bull****...

Sorry not sure I get your point. Sorry, can you elaborate?
    dvpower wrote: »
    Mind you, religious people are often on about how specially bad they are; they're sinners, deserving of punishment, 'not worthy to receive you'...

Indeed. I went through a period of being very interested in reading about torture technique and mind control and the like.. as I have a strong interest in human psychology and the brain and so on.

One thing I found is it is a very common thing in such areas to not just put people down and humiliate them, but also to make them feel special at the SAME time. Doing this causes all kinds of effects in the brain of the victim. Things like Stockholm Syndrome are derivatives of this.

So I find the same thing in religion. In fact I want to some day work on a paper comparing the links between the ways religions sell themselves, and the way mind control and torture users do their “work”.

What many religions do is tell you you are sick, a sinner, disgusting, a piece of dirt, or dust or a clot of blot in Islam, pathetic, weak, and all kinds of other horrible things. "Born sick and commanded to be well" as one speaker once put it.

At the same time they tell you the whole universe with all its size, age and complexity was made with you in mind, god loves each of us individually and specially, and he has a plan for you and for me.

This is classic Mindwash/Torture 101 stuff. The merging of humiliation with love, with pain and pleasure, fear and hope. You could not design something better in religion if you sat down and deliberately tried… the purveyors of woo and religion have just managed to hit upon it over the years of religion, and religious sales techniques, evolving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Mistress 69

optogirl wrote: »
    Mistress69? Is that you?

No idea how I came across this...........mmmn ..Hi Optogirl... Despite previous clashes,... Only spotted this post now 109 am 04 aug. ... elaborate please do!

Advertisement