Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When atheists go too far

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Antikythera

philologos wrote: »
    If God created the laws of physics or biology or chemistry as far as I'm concerned it isn't a huge leap to suggest that He could manipulate these properties if He so desired.

With respect, if we had some ham, we could have ham and eggs... if we had any eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Let's have a more accurate quotation less your spin:

Sure, or we could enbolden some different bits.
    I have answered very clearly: I don't think anyone should go to hell however if people reject God they will. This is just, but I don't think anyone should go there. They should have the wisdom to make the right decision.

Try this quotation and tell me if this view is acceptable.
    I don't think anyone should be raped, however if people reject my sexual advances they will. This is just, but I don't think anyone should be raped. They should have the wisdom to make the right decision.

Yes but both sides are so fervant in their beliefs/lake of beliefs that both arguments/insults bounce back off them. Neither side is ever going to convince the other that they're wrong and they're both wasting breath is trying to do so.
    I am not trying to convince Jakkass/Phililogos. He is so utterly deluded, it is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

He paid for the sins of mankind on the cross so that we wouldn't have to. According to Christianity (particularly emphasised in Romans 6 if you want to look it up) as Jesus died on the cross our old selves died with Him, and as He was resurrected we came to new life in Him.

Instead of having the elaborate plan of sending down jesus to be crucified for our sins so we wouldn't have to, could god not just have changed the rules?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jakkass, if you don't think anyone should go to hell, does that mean you think god is wrong to send people there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Mark200 wrote: »
    Instead of having the elaborate plan of sending down jesus to be crucified for our sins so we wouldn't have to, could god not just have changed the rules?

He decided to do it the way He did presumably because it was the best way possible. It is considerably clearer to us that our sin had a price and that God forgave us.

I don't see why this is a huge difficulty because it doesn't seem that if God did "just change the rules" that you would believe.
    Jakkass, if you don't think anyone should go to hell, does that mean you think god is wrong to send people there?

No, it means that people are wrong for rejecting Him.

drkpower wrote: »
    Try this quotation and tell me if this view is acceptable.

It's not comparable at all with rape. God is Lord over the universe, He has given us standards for our benefit and will punish us if we turn away from Him. Much like other authorities. I can't cry to the judge if I am arrested and claim that the law is unjust.

You've brought up a different point that clarifies some things. The major difference between you and I is that I believe that God's has legitimate authority over this universe and you don't. That changes a lot of how we regard the idea of God's judgement of mankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

So you don't subscribe to the theory of original sin?

How could anyone subscribe to such a ridiculous notion? How could I possibly be guilty of even something that my father did before I was born, not to mention whatever Adam and Eve did that got the sky fairy's back up way back when? Surely guilt presupposes that the perpetrator of a wrong is aware of what he or she is doing and can choose whether or not to go ahead and do it?

But religion is really all about guilt. That is the weapon the priestly castes use to keep their flocks of sheeple under control so that they can enjoy the privileges, wealth and power that they love so much.

They always need more money, which begs the question of why the sky fairy, who we are told by the god-botherers really loves us, won't allow them to do like we are told - rather implausibly - JC did - feed a multitude with a few fish and loaves of bread. And turned water into wine.

Just send around a sky pilot and have him turn a bucketful of water into a nice Pinot Noir for me and I'll believe anything, too. :p

Yes, and people are wrong for rejecting my sexual advances. I dont want to rape them at all. Right, Jakkass?
    I don't think anyone should be raped, however if people reject my sexual advances they will. This is just, but I don't think anyone should be raped. They should have the wisdom to make the right decision.
    . I can't cry to the judge if I am arrested and claim that the law is unjust. .
    If a judge imposed a punishment of eternal pain & suffering, for a thought-crime, would you consider him evil?

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    But religion is really all about guilt. That is the weapon the priestly castes use to keep their flocks of sheeple under control so that they can enjoy the privileges, wealth and power that they love so much.

A huge generalisation of all religion and of all Christianity. There are churches that exist without any form of heirarchy. There are churches where the congregation are involved in leading worship. There are many ways that the churches are structured and it isn't always about a pastor or a priest speaking to a congregation.

Secondly your claim that the "priestly caste" whatever that means keep their congregation under control this isn't simply true. One can do a lot to make sure that they aren't being manipulated. If one has a good working knowledge of the Bible one can challenge ones priest or pastor if they try to deviate from Biblical truth or use excessive control.

As for money some churches don't even pay their pastors.
    Yes, and people are wrong for rejecting my sexual advances. I dont want to rape them at all. Right, Jakkass?

I've dealt with this point already. It's evidently fallacious.

• Advertisement

I've dealt with this point already. It's evidently fallacious.

Why?

I dont want to rape anyone, Jakkass, right?

And God doesnt want to send anyone to hell, Jakkass, right?
    I don't think anyone should go to hell however if people reject God they will. This is just, but I don't think anyone should go there. They should have the wisdom to make the right decision.

I've posted very clearly as to why I disagree with that argument and you've gone and totally ignored it. Fantastic... Do you want to have a discussion or are you more interested in re-reading what you've just said?

Either civil and fair discussion or no discussion.

I've posted very clearly as to why I disagree with that argument and you've gone and totally ignored it. Fantastic... Do you want to have a discussion or are you more interested in re-reading what you've just said?
    That is not an answer.

Answer this, Jakkass?. In this example, do I want to rape anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I can't cry to the judge if I am arrested and claim that the law is unjust.
    Of course you can, if it is unjust. And any normal person can plainly see that subjecting someone to eternal pain and suggering for not believing in God is absolutely unjust.

I'm confident that even you can see it is unjust. If the authorities in Ireland were to pass a law to punish people for non belief, would you think it an unjust law?

Either civil and fair discussion or no discussion.
    Civil....?!!?!:D

You want me, and many of my friends and family, to burn in hell for eternity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So god is right to send people to hell if they reject him?

I don't see how you can say that and at the same time also say that you don't think anyone should be sent to hell? They appear to be contradictory to me.

drkpower: OK, since you've effectively ignored my post I don't see what else you expect me to discuss. I'm not going to waste my time.
    dvpower wrote: »
    Of course you can, if it is unjust. And any normal person can plainly see that subjecting someone to eternal pain and suggering for not believing in God is absolutely unjust.

Indeed, if.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ihateirony

I'd just like to point out that you're all making a mistake here. I created the universe and set the standards that you should all live by and if you don't believe me you should just read my book, it says that I did it so it's true. If you reject me I'll send you to tethos (hell isn't real) and that will be just.

drkpower: OK, since you've effectively ignored my post I don't see what else you expect me to discuss. I'm not going to waste my time.

Your 'answer' did nothing to address my question. I asked you whether a this statement is acceptable or objectionable.
    I don't think anyone should be raped, however if people reject my sexual advances they will. This is just, but I don't think anyone should be raped. They should have the wisdom to make the right decision

You started rabitting on about god.

Would you like to comment on whether my statement is acceptable or objectionable? Or would you like to hide behind god again?

So god is right to send people to hell if they reject him?

I don't see how you can say that and at the same time also say that you don't think anyone should be sent to hell? They appear to be contradictory to me.
    He thinks they should turn to God to be saved from hell.

Of course that option isn't open to anyone who has already died. So, for example, if you had an atheist relative die recently, philologos believes that they are destined for an eternity of punishment in hell, and he thinks this is a just punishment. It's all pretty sickening.

• Advertisement

Indeed, if.
    Since you think an eternity of suffering in hell is a just punishment for being an atheist, would you support some kind of punishment for atheists on Earth (if you had your way)?

^^ No. I would hope that all people seriously thought about Christ. You're presenting it as if it is a me versus you issue, but it really isn't because I'm as deserving of hell in my opinion as anyone else is.

Actually, serious post now, if I'm raised in a country where everyone's atheist and nobody has ever heard of God does that mean we all go to hell when we die? Because if God chose for me to be born there that's a tad harsh

He decided to do it the way He did presumably because it was the best way possible. It is considerably clearer to us that our sin had a price and that God forgave us.

Sin had a high price? And who supposedly set that price? Oh yeah, god. It's quite self-evident that god could have simply decided himself that there is no longer a price for sin, or that we would no longer have to pay for it.

I don't see why this is a huge difficulty because it doesn't seem that if God did "just change the rules" that you would believe.
    Of course I wouldn't believe, I'm just pointing out just one of the absolute absurdities in the Christian belief. And your justification is equally absurd - 'it must have been the best way because thats how my god did it'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Antikythera

He thinks they should turn to God to be saved from hell.

Of course that option isn't open to anyone who has already died. So, for example, if you had an atheist relative die recently, philologos believes that they are destined for an eternity of punishment in hell, and he thinks this is a just punishment. It's all pretty sickening.

I dunno, hell sounds pretty cool! I'd rather be there fornicating and gallivanting than sitting on a cloud playing a fkn harp!

ihateirony wrote: »
    Actually, serious post now, if I'm raised in a country where everyone's atheist and nobody has ever heard of God does that mean we all go to hell when we die? Because if God chose for me to be born there that's a tad harsh
    I think there's a get out of jail card for people who never heard of God. afaik eternal damnation is for those who had some knowledge of God but didn't submit to him.

I think there's a get out of jail card for people who never heard of God. afaik eternal damnation is for those who had some knowledge of God but didn't submit to him.

Ah that's convenient, so if everyone in the world becomes atheist and doesn't tell their children about the history of belief in god(s) then everyone will go to heaven :)

But like, where's the line drawn? Like if I hear someone mention it in the streets, but no info on it and keep walking, to I go to hell then? Or what if someone misrepresents God and I reject him based on that? Do I go to hell then?

Mark200 wrote: »
    Ah that's convenient, so if everyone in the world becomes atheist and doesn't tell their children about the history of belief in god(s) then everyone will go to heaven :)

If we could just persuade the current generations to take one for the team and never mention God again, then it seems future generation might be saved.
    God might throw a spanner in the works 'though.;)

• Advertisement

You want me, and many of my friends and family, to burn in hell for eternity.

For the umpteenth time that isn't what I want at all. I don't want that for anyone.

Honestly you should be a tabloid writer. You can make anything out of what people say.

Advertisement