Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When atheists go too far

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Mark200 wrote: »
    Ah that's convenient, so if everyone in the world becomes atheist and doesn't tell their children about the history of belief in god(s) then everyone will go to heaven :)

lol, problem solved :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ihateirony

philologos wrote: »
    For the umpteenth time that isn't what I want at all. I don't want that for anyone.

Honestly you should be a tabloid writer. You can make anything out of what people say.

I think what he's trying to say is your desire is for that to happen if they don't convert, which they're not going to. Is that not true?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

For the umpteenth time that isn't what I want at all. I don't want that for anyone.

IF I continue to reject god, do you want me to burn for eternity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

ihateirony wrote: »
    But like, where's the line drawn? Like if I hear someone mention it in the streets, but no info on it and keep walking, to I go to hell then? Or what if someone misrepresents God and I reject him based on that? Do I go to hell then?
    The rules are unclear. All you need to know is that God is just and if you do go to hell, you bloody well deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

For unrepentant atheists that have already died? Do you want them to go to hell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Honestly you should be a tabloid writer. You can make anything out of what people say.

First of all, why don't you want them to go to hell?

Second of all, do you agree that your god does want it for some people? (Presumably he wouldn't allow people to go to hell who he felt didn't deserve it).

dvpower wrote: »
    The rules are unclear. All you need to know is that God is just and if you do go to hell, you bloody well deserve it.

That's not true. He's not infallible or something, he even admitted after the flood that he shouldn't have done it and promised not to do it again. He makes mistakes and whether his actions are just or not it's not determined by whether he did them or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

ihateirony wrote: »
    That's not true. He's not infallible or something, he even admitted after the flood that he shouldn't have done it and promised not to do it again. He makes mistakes and whether his actions are just or not it's not determined by whether he did them or not.

Not sure if serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Why do you want your god to kill us with fire?

Do you really unwant us that much?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2R7KGeDSKQg/TJ6KKBGzuxI/AAAAAAAAAHs/AEoem_y3wWM/s640/kill-it-with-fire-demotivational-poster-1235695993.jpg

Not sure if serious.

Depends on your definition of serious, but I'm presuming truth in everything those on the God side are saying so I can try to figure out the contradictions reduce them and form a more a more comprehensible understanding of what they actually think. It's easier to argue with people if you help them know what they're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

It's not comparable at all with rape. God is Lord over the universe, He has given us standards for our benefit and will punish us if we turn away from Him. Much like other authorities. I can't cry to the judge if I am arrested and claim that the law is unjust.
    The only "law" most decent living atheists are breaking is that they do not love god with all their heart, mind and soul. This is why I said earlier the only authorities your god could be compared to are totalitarian regimes, ie, ones where no discontent is allowed.
    I must obey the laws of the land but I do not have to love the government.
    In Stalin's Russia I could not have stood up and shouted "I hate Stalin", here I can shout from the rooftops "I hate Enda".
    If I say "I hate Yahweh" the result would be in a similar vein to the one I would receive from the old NKVD (only much much worse).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

^^ We also fundamentally fail in loving others as ourselves. Something which follows from the first in many cases.

^^ We also fundamentally fail in loving others as ourselves. Something which follows from the first in many cases.
    Indeed, but this is true for believers and non-believers alike.

Indeed, but this is true for believers and non-believers alike.

Indeed, but as Christians would see it it doesn't end there. We need to strive to do this better with God's help. Ultimately that's something I don't see as being such a bad motivation in life.

And Jakkass completely ignores 4 or 5 questions on this page alone, because he cannnot admit to himself how disgusting his views are.

Ultimately that's something I don't see as being such a bad motivation in life.
    Its a great motivation! Because if you dont believe, you will burn for eternity. Sick.

Indeed, but as Christians would see it it doesn't end there. We need to strive to do this better with God's help. Ultimately that's something I don't see as being such a bad motivation in life.
    It's not just Christians who are striving for a better world, far from it.
    Charity and morality are not only the concern of Christians, I need no god to tell me wrong from right and live as best I can, hurting no other living creature, to the best of my abilities. I would be more (though not quite) on the Buddhist side of things.

I never said that Cú Globach. I was commenting on the fact that we all fail to love our neighbour as ourselves and its not easy. I'm suggesting that we can do with God's help irrespective of who we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rower93

First post here. Like all this atheist stuff.

At the end of the day nobody cares what you believe in or do not believe in....
    Simples:)

I never said that Cú Globach. I was commenting on the fact that we all fail to love our neighbour as ourselves and its not easy. I'm suggesting that we can do with God's help irrespective of who we are.
    This is where we differ in absolute terms, humans don't need a god to know wrong from right, it is actually within us.
    For me killing is wrong, I don't need a god to make a law prohibiting it for me to know that.
    What use is your god to say a Buddhist monk who lives his whole life hurting physically or emotionally no living creature? If this monk lives a perfect life yet never accepts Jehovah as the supreme ruler of the universe he will still suffer eternal torment after his death according to your beliefs, won't he.

• Advertisement

^^ That depends on what the nature of right and wrong is. Is it subjective or objective?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

rower93 wrote: »

Well y'all got yourself a li'l problem thar son.

This ol' thread has done gotten itself over 800 posts an 16,500 views in a short space space of time.

So it sure do seems as if folks do care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

well I care if my children's teachers beliefs that the earth is 6000 years old and my children come home telling me this despite me raising them telling them to belief science and to make your own morals on what you belief is right rather than basing them on a 2000 year old book...

no one cares if you keep your beliefs to yourself but the second they start infringing on someone else's views there's a problem...

I'd also have a problem with a parent telling their children that if they don't go to mass and say their prayers that they're going to burn in hell for all eternity... but I suppose there's nothing I can really do about that only hope the children grow up and see the lies for what it is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rower93

I think it's that people are afraid that all this indoctrination or ramming down throats of beliefs of a certain majority is set in concrete.

For those worried about their children I think it's silly. It just goes in one ear and out the other. They are more worried about who's on top of the premier league or when the next session is tbh.

^^ That depends on what the nature of right and wrong is. Is it subjective or objective?
    Well, we could get into quite a long philosophical discussion on that one, but I will say both, to truly understand right from wrong one has to see things from all angles. The word here is empathy.

It seems the basic rule that evolution seems to have given us, because societies across the planet all seem to have this ideal in common is, do no harm and try to improve the life of others.

(Off to bed now, I hope there are no locks overnight, am enjoying this thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

who's god haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I think it's that people are afraid that all this indoctrination or ramming down throats of beliefs of a certain majority is set in concrete.

For those worried about their children I think it's silly. It just goes in one ear and out the other. They are more worried about who's on top of the premier league or when the next session is tbh.
    I dont know about that. I remember not being able to sleep one night as a kid because the concept of eternity scared the shyte out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

FTGFOP wrote: »
    I knew of him only as a science writer until Creationism started to be taken seriously in the US. I see his current role as an inevitable response to the rise of Creationism.
    Why? What does it matter if people believe in that? Its wacko but so what.

Its almost as if people don't like it if you believe in wacko ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭The High King

Advertisement