Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When atheists go too far

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Ok everyone shut the f*ck up a listen to this lesson, actually listen to it, not just a bit, actually listen to it all. This will tell you what you need to know

:cool:

This kids is known as an 'I dont understand science therefore God exists' arguement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    anyone else notice the religious troll trying to jump in to turn the thread to **** so the mods will lock it.....

As far as I'm concerned I'm as entitled as anyone to post on this thread. I personally don't care if it's locked or not :)
    This is exactly why blind allegiance to anything is dangerous, be that a god or a charismatic leader. .

My allegiance to God isn't blind, it's the result of years of careful consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

philologos wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned I'm as entitled as anyone to post on this thread. I personally don't care if it's locked or not :).

They're referring to Chairman Meow I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

My allegiance to God isn't blind, it's the result of years of careful consideration.

Is it not a result of years of being told what to believe since you were a baby? Ask yourself where and when you made your decisions about god.

I find that hard to believe.

steve06 wrote: »
    Is it not a result of years of being told what to believe since you were a baby?

No. For quite a few years in secondary school I was very confused about what to believe. I read the Bible for myself when I was 17 years old out of curiosity and I decided to become a Christian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

When I was 17 I was reading penthouse ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

steve06 wrote: »
    Well frankly it's offensive to say someone is going to burn in hell or be forever unhappy and persecuted because they don't believe in YOUR god.

Where did I say this?:confused:

• Advertisement

No. For quite a few years in secondary school I was very confused about what to believe. I read the Bible for myself when I was 17 years old out of curiosity and I decided to become a Christian.

I read the Bible at 17 too! :)

If you became a Christian after reading it I don't think we read the same Bible. :D

Can you please explain how you came to the conclusion that they are arrogant as a result of thinking people use God to get votes. People think what they think, how does that make them arrogant?

Is it arrogant to think the idea of God is ridiculous?

If you think something is ridiculous and people are deluded about something it doesn't mean you must be arrogant.

What is arrogant is someone deciding for another person as to that person's spirituality (or lack thereof) - without their consent.

Shenshen - It isn't the only text. Albert Speer's memoirs about Hitler also do the same. There is a lot of stuff that would suggest that he was opposed to Christianity in private. Read the whole article I linked. It's far from conclusive to say the least.

Mindme wrote: »
    Internationally acclaimed and very learned scientists like Carl Sagan and company.

Most of the greatest thinkers and authors who have ever lived.

Thought to be by some. Others will disagree.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Thought to be by some. Others will disagree.

I'm not sure the context of this but I doubt many people would deny that Carl Sagan was a great thinker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I read the Bible for myself and I decided to become a Christian.

Please don't take it literally; We couldn't have you:

raping women,
    murdering disbelievers,
    keeping slaves..

etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

How has reading it lead you to believe that it is true? Surely it's possible (and quite likely) that it is the work of people who were on the end of a game of Chinese whispers. That those who wrote down the tails of the supernatural were repeating a myth that had been told down through generations.

Also I think it's quite impossible that you would have come to the conclusions that you have come to (eg that god is all-loving) if you only read the bible and didn't depend on the wide-spread interpretations that are offered.

Mark200 wrote: »
    How has reading it lead you to believe that it is true? Surely it's possible (and quite likely) that it is the work of people who were on the end of a game of Chinese whispers. That those who wrote down the tails of the supernatural were repeating a myth that had been told down through generations.

The idea that the Bible is Chinese Whispers is not really substantiated. The Canon that is currently used has been historically used since the first century and most commonly cited in secondary church writings. The textual circumstances of the text and the dating of manuscripts of the New Testament would suggest that there has been no significant alteration.

In the case of the Old Testament a manuscript of Isaiah was found in Qumran in 1948 and it was demonstrated to be an exact match to the manuscripts that were used in translation then.
    Mark200 wrote: »
    Also I think it's quite impossible that you would have come to the conclusions that you have come to (eg that god is all-loving) if you only read the bible and didn't depend on the wide-spread interpretations that are offered.

I don't see how it is impossible at all. The Bible is very clear that God loved us and that God loves us. The question is do we love Him?

The Bible is very clear that God loved us and that God loves us.

God loved the converted, everyone else got a pretty raw deal.

Seachmall wrote: »
    God loved the converted, everyone else got a pretty raw deal.

God loves everyone. He has prepared a way for everyone to be saved and to enter into a relationship with Him.
    For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him. Whoever believes in Him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

• Advertisement

God loves everyone. He has prepared a way for everyone to be saved and to enter into a relationship with Him.
    For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him. Whoever believes in Him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.
    Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and burn their Asherah poles in the fire; cut down the idols of their gods and wipe out their names from those places.

Even in the Ten Commandments
    You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me,

I'm also convinced, and can present more quotes to support this theory, that the term "neighbor" used in the Commandments relates only to fellow believers. It is a term of equality, clearly God does not view non-believers as equal. They are fair game.

If you don't accept God, he will not accept you.

So what happens if noone ever told you about god and then you died?

There's still some native tribes around the world who never heard of Jesus.

What about aliens on other planets that never seen the bible? do they all go to hell or is earth gods only dominion?

Seachmall wrote: »
    Even in the Ten Commandments

I agree that in the Ancient State of Israel that the practice of other religions was prohibited under Torah law.

Ireland isn't a theocracy, and we don't live under the law of Moses which was fulfilled through Christ. (Jeremiah 31:34, Hebrews 8, 2 Corinthians 3).
    RichieC wrote: »
    So what happens if noone ever told you about god and then you died?

There's still some native tribes around the world who never heard of Jesus.

What about aliens on other planets that never seen the bible? do they all go to hell or is earth gods only dominion?

That's what we don't know.

As for aliens and other planets. I don't know either but there is room for interesting speculation. The Bible is only God's revelation to humanity in human terms. It is possible that God may have revealed Himself to other intelligent species in their own terms if they exist. It isn't really an argument against Christianity but rather an interesting piece of thought.

By "god revealing him self to us" you mean there's a crusty old book wrote by men.. :rolleyes:

Sh*t really annoys me...

If God is going to communicate Himself to us of course He's going to use humans. That's just common sense. Get as annoyed as you want, but it would be better if we could just have a civil discussion.

If God is going to communicate Himself to us of course He's going to use humans. That's just common sense.

Why? he can create universes, can he not talk?

oh and since we are made in his image, does he get hiccups too? what about his apendix? does he have a tail bone?

Did he always have his form or is he an advanced being evolved from lower creatures that occupied his planet?

I agree that in the Ancient State of Israel that the practice of other religions was prohibited under Torah law.

Ireland isn't a theocracy, and we don't live under the law of Moses which was fulfilled through Christ. (Jeremiah 31:34, Hebrews 8, 2 Corinthians 3).

They were God's words. He was not a happy-bunny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If God is going to communicate Himself to us of course He's going to use humans. That's just common sense.

Yeah LoL, like Ian Paisley and Jerry Falwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

RichieC wrote: »
    Why? he can create universes, can he not talk?

oh and since we are made in his image, does he get hiccups too? what about his apendix? does he have a tail bone?

Did he always have his form or is he an advanced being evolved from lower creatures that occupied his planet?

He's just shy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yeah LoL, like Ian Paisley and Jerry Falwell.

Gotta love Christopher Hitchens.

Advertisement