Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When atheists go too far

Options

Comments

So Atheists, if youre all so smug and know everything, riddle me this batman, how was the universe created? Nothing exploded and created everything? Yeah, sounds about as plausible as an omnipotent being creating everything in 7 days.

Theists = 1
    Atheists = 0

If you want an honest answer: nobody knows. Not theists, nor atheists, but nobody.

We can make educated guesses, though. Any educated guess is more plausible than God creating the universe. You can be dishonest and claim otherwise, that's your prerogative.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i love when people think "haha something cant come out of nothing" is an argument for a god :confused::confused:
    Mind if I ask if you're married with kids?
    I wonder if he doesn't care if s/he is unmarried with kids :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

gvn wrote: »
    If you want an honest answer: nobody knows. Not theists, nor atheists, but nobody.

We can make educated guesses, though. Any educated guess is more plausible than God creating the universe. You can be dishonest and claim otherwise, that's your prerogative.

tide goes in, tide comes out. you cant explain that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I have to say that the vitriol eminating from you is really offensive. However, I believe, I'm fairly content, I respect your views and how you hold them dear to you.

Vitriol? Have I been abusive, or wished ill to anyone, such as expressing the hope they will burn in hell, or made it clear that it is a prospect I relish? I'm just amusing myself with the surrealism of it all and the silly things people irrationally believe.:p
    You're obviously well educated. To sink to insults like you do is, quite frankly, very puzzling.

Being well- or poorly-educated is a very relative thing. And I believe the insults are in your perception only; in other words, ugliness is often in the eye of the beholder. By the way, who do you feel I am insulting? As I weary of pointing out, I cannot insult a being that does not exist, and if people want to order their lives in accordance with tales of a zombie carpenter who died a couple of millennia ago and is still performing "miracles", then you have to indulge me a little and allow me the occasional guffaw ---
    Mind if I ask if you're married with kids? And if so have you sent them to a school with a Catholic ethos?

Yes, I am married with kids, now grown up. I was fortunate to be able to bring them up in a country where the schools are excellent, completely free of charge and where no church has any hand, act or part in them.

The nearest thing to religion taught in the schools is a general course on comparative religions, where they get some idea of what the various religions and philosophies in the world are all about.

One of them is now a member of the judiciary, but never expresses an atheistic outlook in public ...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Really, cause the smug sense of self satisfaction coming out of the atheists in this thread is enough to knock out an elephant

theists = 2
    atheists = 0

Hey. Now you're just making up the score:mad:
    Oh.... carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

dvpower wrote: »
    Hey. Now you're just making up the score:mad:
    Oh.... carry on.

I'm waiting for him to start making up imaginary numbers to show how much better theists are... Would sort of fit the argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭padraig91

So Atheists, if youre all so smug and know everything, riddle me this batman, how was the universe created? Nothing exploded and created everything? Yeah, sounds about as plausible as an omnipotent being creating everything in 7 days.

Theists = 1
    Atheists = 0

Yeah everything was made in 7 days including adam and eve? so what we are all inbred

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

padraig91 wrote: »
    Yeah everything was made in 7 days including adam and eve? so what we are all inbred

Well, we are all fairly inbred...especially in this country but I doubt if Adam & Eve are our common ancestors

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

padraig91 wrote: »

Jesus is inbred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Really, cause the smug sense of self satisfaction coming out of the atheists in this thread is enough to knock out an elephant

theists = 2
    atheists = 0
    Really? you think anything you said is worth scoring?

Ok lets play then... God does not exist!

theists = 2
    atheists = 1,000,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm waiting for him to start making up imaginary numbers to show how much better theists are... Would sort of fit the argument

And im waiting for the all knowing atheists to explain why nothing suddenly decided to explode and create everything.

theists = 3
    atheists = 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

And im waiting for the all knowing atheists to explain why nothing suddenly decided to explode and create everything.

theists = 3
    atheists = 0

And we're waiting for the all knowing theists to explain how god could possibly exist... You only think he does because it's what you were told.

ps, you fkd up the scores...

theists = 3
    atheists = 1,000,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

theists = 3
    atheists = 0

We dont know but we dont go around making **** up
    i.e God

theists = 3
    atheists = 0

because one day nothing was lonely so he decided to explode so he could make new friends

theists = 3
    athiests = 0

but the real losers here is our school system

theists = 3
    atheists = 0

Who claimed NOTHING EXPLODED?? You did, so the onus is on you to prove that one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

theists = 3
    atheists = 0

this is like that dr who ep

"3, i didnt say 3, im not counting"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

theists = 3
    atheists = 0
    Since you don't seem to be taking much notice of anything said in the previous posts may I humbly suggest this for you.
    Atheists=5830
    Theists=3

Also i dont think its fun to take the piss out of everyone who has some religion, However i do enjoy taking the piss out of a religion that condoned pedophiles and helped protect them
    also i find people who believe in snap crackle and pop seem to be very ignorant.......example our religion teacher who refused to let us look at any part of out religion book that was related to any other religion

optogirl wrote: »
    Who claimed NOTHING EXPLODED?? You did, so the onus is on you to prove that one.

oh if only we could condense all of astronomy and big bang theory and evidence into one post!!!

curse you god for making me this way!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Since God created man, and man created atheism, atheism is like a gift from God!

• Advertisement

karma_ wrote: »
    Since God created man, and man created atheism, atheism is like a gift from God!

as is transformers :D

Theists = 1
    Atheists = 0

Ok well you assume everything was made in 7 days because it says it happened in 1 book
    and there are hundreds of books supporting the big bang theory (also a brilliant tv show but thats not very relevant)

so i think the score is
    SUCK IT FOOL!!
    now if your so set on following the bible why dont ya get off the internet and feel up some little boys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I think youll find this is what most atheists actually believe. What existed before the universe? Nothing. What created the universe? The big bang. What caused the big bang? The nothing that existed before the universe exploding. Therefore nothing exploding created everything, according to atheists. Yeah, makes perfect sense.

Theists = 4
    Atheists = 0

theists = 3
    atheists = 0

*gets the popcorn

Won't be long now, lads. :D

I think youll find this is what most atheists actually believe. What existed before the universe? Nothing. What created the universe? The big bang. What caused the big bang? The nothing that existed before the universe exploding. Therefore nothing exploding created everything, according to atheists. Yeah, makes perfect sense.

Theists = 4
    Atheists = 0

While I don't believe any of the above, do you think it's more sensible to assume that nothing just condensed one fine day and god popped into existence?

Theists = 4
    Atheists = 0

Why don't you go and inform yourself as to what the Big Bang Theory actually is -- supported by many a theist too you may be surprised to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

tide goes in, tide comes out. you cant explain that ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BCipg71LbI#t=1m51s

Are you for serious?

First of all you seem to be quite proud of your complete lack of awareness of science.

Second of all, you not knowing something does not mean there is a god. There was a time when humans didn't know how the weather worked so they just said that gods are doing it. And that's what you're doing. You don't know how something happened so you're saying "An invisible man in the sky did it!" and then pointing at anyone who dares to say "well actually, we don't know".

And I've no problem calling that kind of reasoning idiotic. And I don't care if you find that offensive. I find it offensive that you would share such stupidity.

Theists = 4
    Atheists = 0

Ok i suggest you read this before you embarrass yourself further
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang
    also i think you will find it makes more sense then a man in the sky put everything there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Atheists are only too happy to acknowledge that they do not know everything; indeed, that many things are unknowable.:rolleyes:

The theists are the ones with all the answers, including the ultimate joker card - the "mystery", i.e. something that is unknowable and unbelievable, but must be believed because the sky fairy says so.:D

Religion is the ultimate escape from reason and reality. As Nietzsche put it in "Also sprach Zarathustra":

"Ihrem Elende wollten sie entlaufen, und die Sterne waren ihnen zu
    weit. Da seufzten sie: "Oh dass es doch himmlische Wege gäbe, sich in
    ein andres Sein und Glück zu schleichen!" - da erfanden sie sich ihre
    Schliche und blutigen Tränklein!
    "

This means, more or less. "They wanted to escape their misery, and the stars were too remote for them. Then they sighed: 'Oh, if only there were celestial pathways through which to crawl into another being and happiness!' - there they found their crawlway and their bloody little beverage!";)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Why don't you go and inform yourself as to what the Big Bang Theory actually is -- supported by many a theist too you may be surprised to hear.

it's a rather unscandalous theory simply because it gels with the judeo/christian genesis so well.

Advertisement