Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Tony wrote: »
    It reads the same on mine

Good to know

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Thor wrote: »
    My broadband package hasn't changed but they added.

− Call Forwarding
    − Call Barring
    − Phone Service

So they probably have activated the phone line at my end. Still say's 30Mb broadband and the standalone charge, Must have have to wait until the change the modem over to the new one for the 100Mb line.

Are your speed tests any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Are your speed tests any different?

1291723876.png

Still the same speeds for me. Although i must add, They just finished upgrading the cables in my area, But i am yet to be moved over to the one network.

The technician is to move me over tomorrow.

No Damo my speeds are still at 30meg and 1.5mb up

Was just wondering as others waiting for the new modem had a much higher upload speed and a slightly higher download.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Mine are still on the 30mb despite having the full phone services, and numerous reboots,however the standalone has been removed from my account

1291730346.png

Im so tempted to upgrade. Was going to stay as i was but the deal seems to good to pass. Would have loads more for €7 extra.

Think i would be happy with the 50Mb, cant see the personal need for 100Mb atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Im so tempted to upgrade. Was going to stay as i was but the deal seems to good to pass. Would have loads more for €7 extra.

Anything you want to do with the 50Mb you would be able to do twice as fast, Namely for an extra 10 euro.

Worth it if you ask me.

Anything you want to do with the 50Mb you would be able to do twice as fast, Namely for an extra 10 euro.

Worth it if you ask me.

Makes sense and the cap is also double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

CorkMan wrote: »
    My gf ordered the 50MB BB + TV + Phone bundle on Tuesday. The lady said it will be upgraded from 20MB and that was that, no mention of replacing the Cisco EPC2425. I read on here about needing the euroDOCSIS v3.0 to get 50MB and up and I told my gf to ring them. Apparently the Technicolor TWG870 is required to get 50MB.

She got told today by the man on the other end he would get back to my gf tomorrow. Should this be happening?

Yes, she has to get the new modem for the 50mb service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Worth it if you ask me.

I'm thinking a few months down the line to upgrade from the 50 to the 100, I'd surely skip any modem charge then as I'd already have the modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm sure you'd grow into it if you got it. :D

go on, you know you want to. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,921 ✭✭✭dodzy

Mine are still on the 30mb despite having the full phone services, and numerous reboots,however the standalone has been removed from my account

1291730346.png
    Just wondering could some folk who have recently upgraded to 50/100mb please post speedtest results over wireless ( and wired, for comparison). Have been on the 30mb since it started and the max I get over wifi is 22mb. Just curious to see would there be any improvements with the upgrade, although I suspect that the wifi card / laptop would be the bottleneck in my case.

dodzy wrote: »
    Just wondering could some folk who have recently upgraded to 50/100mb please post speedtest results over wireless ( and wired, for comparison). Have been on the 30mb since it started and the max I get over wifi is 22mb. Just curious to see would there be any improvements with the upgrade, although I suspect that the wifi card / laptop would be the bottleneck in my case.
    indeed it would. :)

from previous posts on here, 22mbps seems to be the norm for the cisco epc2425 upc have been using up to now. with a better wireless G router and a decent wireless card, you can get up to around 35mbps in a sustained transfer with regular 802.11g (aka 54g) wireless. some of the wifi vendors came up with various ways to speed this up, so you do find 54g can be faster from time to time under the right conditions, but there was no set standard for the 'super G' routers so there's a few different standards for it that aren't necessarily cross compatible.

the good news is, that the new router does indeed have 802.11n wireless which is good up to about 75mbps (according to other posters here and in previous 100mbps threads) with the supplied (assuming you tick the box and buy it for €15 off upc) wifi dongle.

i actually wasn't getting great speedtest results yesterday, but i just did a re-test there now and it seems to have fixed itself. :D

1292357487.png

i'm guessing that i wasn't the only one doing 100mbps speedtests yesterday and the servers might have been under a little bit of a strain as a result. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,921 ✭✭✭dodzy

vibe666 wrote: »
    indeed it would. :)

from previous posts on here, 22mbps seems to be the norm for the cisco epc2425 upc have been using up to now. with a better wireless G router and a decent wireless card, you can get up to around 35mbps in a sustained transfer with regular 802.11g (aka 54g) wireless. some of the wifi vendors came up with various ways to speed this up, so you do find 54g can be faster from time to time under the right conditions, but there was no set standard for the 'super G' routers so there's a few different standards for it that aren't necessarily cross compatible.

the good news is, that the new router does indeed have 802.11n wireless which is good up to about 75mbps (according to other posters here and in previous 100mbps threads) with the supplied (assuming you tick the box and buy it for €15 off upc) wifi dongle.

i actually wasn't getting great speedtest results yesterday, but i just did a re-test there now and it seems to have fixed itself. :D

1292357487.png

i'm guessing that i wasn't the only one doing 100mbps speedtests yesterday and the servers might have been under a little bit of a strain as a result. :pac:
    Thanks a lot vibe. Wi take the plunge later. 30mb I'd just toooo slow;)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Just wondering how long people who upgraded and went for the 50mb self install option waited (or still are) for their new modems to be delivered? I ordered first thing Tuesday morning and still nothing (Yes I know it is only 2 days and I am impatient!). Only asking cause a lot here seemed to be getting things next day and a collegue in work ordered after me and had his delivered last night. You are paying €20 and it is a courier, so you would expect it to be fairly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I'm currently on the cheapest broadband only plan and paying the standalone charge too. My bill is €32.74 per month.

I'm thinking of upgrading to 100mbps + phone, for €57 per month. I think the extra €25 per month on top of what I'm already paying is worth it, for 100mbps speed.

Just a few questions I wondered if someone could answer please.

1. I want to keep using my own Cisco router. No doubt UPC will come and install a new UPC modem router which facilitates their VoIP phone service, but can I plug my router in to theirs and will it work?

2. My laptop (and my Cisco router come to think of it) are 54mbps 802.11g wireless standard. So, thinking about it, surely that makes it pointless for me to have 100mbps bb. Perhaps I should save a tenner and get the 50mbps plan?

3. Do I have to pay anything to change my plan (connection fee of €20)?

Many thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Jazuz, when you sit back and think about it, 100mb, sure that's network speed, I'm booked in this morning so should have it up and running by the time I get home:), as an afterthought I really hope I don't have to redo all my homegroup/network/IP settings:(

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

I placed the order with UPC on Monday evening and I got my new router yesterday lunchtime. Plugged her in last night and all was good, full 50mb down and 5mb up. Downloaded an iso from Microsoft and got 5.9MB/sec :-)

IJust a few questions I wondered if someone could answer please.
    1. I want to keep using my own Cisco router. No doubt UPC will come and install a new UPC modem router which facilitates their VoIP phone service, but can I plug my router in to theirs and will it work?

Yes you can use your own router if you choose.
    2. My laptop (and my Cisco router come to think of it) are 54mbps 802.11g wireless standard. So, thinking about it, surely that makes it pointless for me to have 100mbps bb. Perhaps I should save a tenner and get the 50mbps plan?

Wireless G will not cut it on 50megs either you will only achieve a speed of around 35mb over G, the new Thomson router has a wireless N facility not to mention Gigabit wired (yours is prob only 100meg wired?)

It will be 20euro for 50meg self install or 40euro for 100meg engie install. If you mention on the phone that its free online you may get 20euro taken off but I dont think they are obliged to do so.

• Advertisement

yes it will, you just need to put your router's WAN port IP into the DMZ on the UPC router and turn off it's firewall & everything else and you're good to go. I'm currently using a Linksys (Cisco) E3000 router and haven't had any issues with it so far.
    the new UPC router has 300mbps wireless N onboard and they will sell you a wireless N usb dongle for €15 to go with it, which is good up to about 75mbps.
    yes/no/maybe. :)

there's no charge to upgrade from a lower plan to any other (higher) plan, but they do charge you a tenner to downgrade from anything to anything lower.

as for the install charge (on the 100mbps), some here have managed to get it waived, so i guess it just depends on how much you give out to them when you call to get it installed. :)

the 50mbps does have a self install option with no extra charge, where they post it out to you and you can install it yourself in 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Thanks a million guys. I filled out the boards.ie €50 voucher form online a few minutes ago, so I'll await their call! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

Ronan wrote: »
    Just wondering how long people who upgraded and went for the 50mb self install option waited (or still are) for their new modems to be delivered? I ordered first thing Tuesday morning and still nothing (Yes I know it is only 2 days and I am impatient!). Only asking cause a lot here seemed to be getting things next day and a collegue in work ordered after me and had his delivered last night. You are paying €20 and it is a courier, so you would expect it to be fairly quick.

Ordered Monday morning. Call from courier company on Tuesday morning. Modem delivered on Wednesday morning.
    It was the same time frame when I got the Cisco not that long ago. I'm in town end of Dublin 8. Don't know if that has anything to do with it. Hope you get yours soon.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I am totally confused by these now.
    Engineer arrived this morning. Looked at the modem and said ahh the Cisco is grand for 50 meg. Nothing needs to be changed , I'll get that set up inside & it will be on later?
    Is he waffeling me?

KoolKid wrote: »
    Engineer arrived this morning. Looked at the modem and said ahh the Cisco is grand for 50 meg. Nothing needs to be changed , I'll get that set up inside & it will be on later?
    Is he waffeling me?

Yes he is apparently, UPC themselves say you need the new modem for the 50 and 100meg.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Upgraded to the 50MB today no issues. New modem coming out via currier.

Anyone know if you change package like this, is your downloads for the current month reset to 0 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Is he waffeling me?

According to all the information I've read about these new services (50Mb / 100Mb) they are DOCSIS 3.0 based not DOCSIS 2.0. The Cisco is only suitable for DOCSIS 2.0 (AFAIK), regardless of what theoritical speed the unit is capable of handling (which is what 'the Engineer' :) may have been referring to).

Its extremely poor of someone representing a company in a such a technical capacity (such as 'an Engineer' - I laugh sometimes at the use of that title) when I see how some people (notice I said some & I'm not branding all alike) treat customers at install time.

There must have been some very poor communication / misalignment within UPC & the Engineering divisions (or some 'Engineers') before this most recent product launch for a UPC Engineer to have told you this - unless he's just an underperformer, lazy & not interested in keeping on top of things & wanting to look good or make UPC look good.

Sorry - its a bit of a rant but I've very little patience when I hear such misinformation being given out & then people's time being wasted as they chase it up to have it rectified ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Going to give them a call. I'll let you know what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Going to give them a call. I'll let you know what happens.

Don't worry - you'll be sorted out, just a pity this happens, puts seeds of doubt in ones mind & then you're left to chase it up again etc..

We'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this occassion since they are so busy :D

• Advertisement

Just off the phone to a very nice customer service guy. He double checked with supervisor & neither of them can think of any reason why a modem was not given either way.
    He's sending him back today, so heres hoping.:D

Advertisement