Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rodgered

Im looking forward to him going just to see what the British make of him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

That will be interesting alright....:D
    They might get sick of him and send him where he is meant to be "AMERICA"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

it took him only less than 10 seconds today to mention JFK.

again he wafts on lookin to know about death,very intrusive if you ask me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

The problem with Tubridy is that he is false. He plays a character and he doesn't even realise he is playing a character. He has built up some idea of how he wants to act in his head. So he comes across really badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The problem with Tubridy is that he is false. He plays a character and he doesn't even realise he is playing a character. He has built up some idea of how he wants to act in his head. So he comes across really badly.

What you describe there is someone who is mentally ill not the leading light of the State broadcaster

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Something i've noticed lately is that RTE seem to think mundane ordinary things are AMAZING....and it's not just tubbs

the tubs example is the interview with Amy Huberman where he could not get over the fact she could play a scumbag junkie ...

it's called acting dear boy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I don't bother changing the channel these days, even the Partridge factor is not amusing me anymore.

It's a really monotonous, self indulgent farce of a show, the lack of research, refusal to cover any topic outside Tub's limited world view and poor preparation is blatantly obvious to hear

He couldn't catch an earlier flight to the BBC by any chance?
    I'd even pay or his Ryanair flight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Dave Fanning filling in for Tubs again from Tuesday :D

Also, is this Tubridys second week off in about a month?

Not that im complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Bubblegums

Tubridy was pushed and pushed on the public by RTE, for what reason??

For tapping the desk and reading a book...

I can do that for flippin far less and do my own hair and make up! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

London Calling, Inishbofin answering

MICK HEANEY

RADIO REVIEW: THE NEWS THAT Ryan Tubridy was in talks with the BBC had barely emerged when, by early last week, he was already on the move, forsaking Montrose for fresher climes.
    This time, however, RTÉ was probably au fait with the presenter’s plans, as he took his show (Tubridy, 2FM, weekdays) out on the road. Still, it was an exercise that will have given cold comfort to his current employers: Tuesday’s programme was a reminder of how good a broadcaster Tubridy can be and of what RTÉ stands to lose.
    Tubridy was in ebullient form as he opened proceedings on the island of Inishbofin. He described the view from his studio for the day – a house belonging to Mary, a woman who had invited him in for tea when he was holidaying there last year – as one of glimmering sun and sea. “To many of us,” he said, “this is paradise.”
    The joyful mood was infectious. As Tubridy bantered with his guests, the show took on the air of an impromptu gathering, by turns intimate and joshing. Archaeologist Gerry MacCloskey talked Tubridy through Inishbofin’s landmarks to recreate the history of the island and its people in a way that was casual yet informative. Comedian Des Bishop, meanwhile, was wryly observant about island life and open about the recent death of his father, about whom he had written a show, without being heavy-handed. “For him that was the ultimate finish,” Bishop said of his late father, “that he went out famous in Ireland.”
    Throughout it all, Tubridy had a palpably relaxed demeanour, zinging off Bishop, eliciting historical nuggets from MacCloskey and warmly encouraging others to contribute. The only vaguely off note came during an interview with Mad Men actor (and recent Inishbofin visitor) John Slattery, when the presenter largely retreated into softball showbiz mode. Tellingly, it was a recorded segment, done on the phone from New York.
    Back in Dublin on Wednesday, the good mood was still evident, with a generous and spontaneous atmosphere prevailing on air. An item about weak tea with a caller named Kate was transformed into a thumbnail sketch of modern Ireland when Tubridy asked about his guest’s life as an unemployed single mother in a manner that was curious but not prurient. Tubridy may see his future in London, but as long as he is here, he just needs to go west.

tubs of again for a week wtf anyway its good to hear Dave also heard in the news tubs makes 185 per hour only caught the last bit whats the story there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Pre record late late show last Friday night... Another week off.. spent the end of last year going round the country promoting his book, facilitated by RTE opening up studios for him... RTE certainly do bend over backwards for golden boy..

I assume they think he's worth it, but is he really?

With week of and the rest of the RTE line up not having an extra week off it looks that way
    Or they could be thinking (I HOPE THE DLB FCUKS OF TO THE BBC FULL TIME)

Then its money well spent? (The extra week off that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

could you ring "yer mate" and ask him to scan it in and link it to this thread.. :D:D

Don't please, it would be off topic.

Standard warning once again: Get back on topic or risk having posts deleted.

The topic? Tubridy's RADIO SHOW.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

ghiertal wrote: »
    London Calling, Inishbofin answering

MICK HEANEY

RADIO REVIEW: THE NEWS THAT Ryan Tubridy was in talks with the BBC had barely emerged when, by early last week, he was already on the move, forsaking Montrose for fresher climes.
    This time, however, RTÉ was probably au fait with the presenter’s plans, as he took his show (Tubridy, 2FM, weekdays) out on the road. Still, it was an exercise that will have given cold comfort to his current employers: Tuesday’s programme was a reminder of how good a broadcaster Tubridy can be and of what RTÉ stands to lose.
    Tubridy was in ebullient form as he opened proceedings on the island of Inishbofin. He described the view from his studio for the day – a house belonging to Mary, a woman who had invited him in for tea when he was holidaying there last year – as one of glimmering sun and sea. “To many of us,” he said, “this is paradise.”
    The joyful mood was infectious. As Tubridy bantered with his guests, the show took on the air of an impromptu gathering, by turns intimate and joshing. Archaeologist Gerry MacCloskey talked Tubridy through Inishbofin’s landmarks to recreate the history of the island and its people in a way that was casual yet informative. Comedian Des Bishop, meanwhile, was wryly observant about island life and open about the recent death of his father, about whom he had written a show, without being heavy-handed. “For him that was the ultimate finish,” Bishop said of his late father, “that he went out famous in Ireland.”
    Throughout it all, Tubridy had a palpably relaxed demeanour, zinging off Bishop, eliciting historical nuggets from MacCloskey and warmly encouraging others to contribute. The only vaguely off note came during an interview with Mad Men actor (and recent Inishbofin visitor) John Slattery, when the presenter largely retreated into softball showbiz mode. Tellingly, it was a recorded segment, done on the phone from New York.
    Back in Dublin on Wednesday, the good mood was still evident, with a generous and spontaneous atmosphere prevailing on air. An item about weak tea with a caller named Kate was transformed into a thumbnail sketch of modern Ireland when Tubridy asked about his guest’s life as an unemployed single mother in a manner that was curious but not prurient. Tubridy may see his future in London, but as long as he is here, he just needs to go west.

Jeez,Tubridy and Des Bishop in the same paragraph,what have we done to deserve such punishment ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Enjoyed Dave today again.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

If you look back over my previous posts you will find how accurate many of predictions have been. I was mocked for my support for Ryan (not that i mind), but now i feel that he is doing so much work for irish business that it is worthwhile. Now this evening we see that his work with Amy was very useful, but somehow i doubt that he will be thanked for it.
    I feel that Ryan doesn't get enough praise for his work in these arenas. For instance, on the same night as the Keating contrivance, he was working away to promote the Irish fashion industry. Alot of people missed it but he said the following monday "I told Amy Hubermann to wear a guna by an Irish designer at the royal wedding". He was very disappointed when reading the papers on tuesday when he saw that Amy wouldn't be attending, as he knew that the chance to showcase an Irish designer on the world stage was gone. How many other radio and tv presenters in Ireland care enough to do something?
    "Amy will be wearing Irish designers - from top to toe," said her rep Joanne Byrne.
    The actress who is sticking to the customary hat is wearing a creation by Irish milliner Sarah Mc Gohan from Bray, Co. Wicklow.
    The design is a black lace beret with two oversized black poppies and crystal details.
    Her all-important dress is from Louise Kennedy's autumn/winter 2011 collection and is described as pink bubblegum with lace, a boat-neck, A-line skirt and lace scallop finish.
    She will cover-up with a cream wrap also from Louise Kennedy and finish off the outfit with black patent shoes from Irish shoe designer Nina Divito.

Another prediction i will make is that Gar will be a huge success on Radio 1 this summer and could possibly take over from Ryan if we lose him. I know that i will be mocked for this but i don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Ghiertal you're obviously a fan of Tubridy and you're entitled to you're opinion, but of your 31 posts since september 2008 the last 20 have been to defend him - it's all a bit curious really.

The week after that Late Late Show the programmes ratings fell to 530,000 viewers, which is a fairly spectacular drop. As has been pointed out to you on numerous occasions, his radio show has also lost nearly 1/3 of its listeners in the last year. Things are not going that well for Tubridy at the moment.

Unfortunately I don't think your fear that "we will lose him" will be realised. I don't know want an audience inherited by Graham Norton from Jonathan Ross will make of him, but I'm willing to guess it won't be an overwhelmingly positive reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

"Amy will be wearing Irish designers - from top to toe," said her rep Joanne Byrne.
    The actress who is sticking to the customary hat is wearing a creation by Irish milliner Sarah Mc Gohan from Bray, Co. Wicklow.
    The design is a black lace beret with two oversized black poppies and crystal details.
    Her all-important dress is from Louise Kennedy's autumn/winter 2011 collection and is described as pink bubblegum with lace, a boat-neck, A-line skirt and lace scallop finish.
    She will cover-up with a cream wrap also from Louise Kennedy and finish off the outfit with black patent shoes from Irish shoe designer Nina Divito.

I can see the howyas ditching the pajamas and rushing out to their nearest boutique
    Another prediction i will make is that Gar will be a huge success on Radio 1 this summer and could possibly take over from Ryan if we lose him. I know that i will be mocked for this but i don't care.

Gar who? Gar Tubridy? Are you for real?
    Did I miss a memo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Rubik. wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't think your fear that "we will lose him" will be realised. I don't know want an audience inherited by Graham Norton from Jonathan Ross will make of he, but I'm willing to guess it won't be an overwhelmingly positive reaction.

I do wonder that I love ross and Norton don't love Turbidy can't see he would be an attraction to the type of person who listens to either of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

jimmynokia wrote: »
    tubs of again for a week wtf
    Another week off..

Keen observation again lads. The neck on Tubridy to take 4 days off in mid term to spend with his young kids is breathtaking. I assume ye are applying the same criteria to the thousands of other fathers who have done the same this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Just curious how do you know Gar.....and what is he going to be doing on Radio 1 this summer?

Who's Gar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Rubik. wrote: »
    Who's Gar?

None other that Ryans brother Garrett

Hope this is not deemed too off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Another prediction i will make is that Gar will be a huge success on Radio 1 this summer

Link please.
    I need my daily dose of RTE nepotism.

lempsipmax wrote: »
    None other that Ryans brother Garrett

Hope this is not deemed too off topic.

Bloody hell! I thought giftgrub was joking.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

do RTE
    deliberately do this??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Aidric wrote: »
    Keen observation again lads. The neck on Tubridy to take 4 days off in mid term to spend with his young kids is breathtaking. I assume ye are applying the same criteria to the thousands of other fathers who have done the same this week?

Thousands of other Fathers would be hard at work to justify a incredible salary of €500k+ especially if you are failing miserably at your business.

This Gareth stuff is a joke right?

• Advertisement

Poly wrote: »
    Thousands of other Fathers would be hard at work to justify a incredible salary of €500k+ especially if you are failing miserably at your business.

This Gareth stuff is a joke right?
    If i earned 500k i'd be off too!!

Advertisement