Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Ryan Tubridy confirms talks with BBC

RTE website are carrying the story..
    His brother, Garrett, jokingly tweeted to him this morning saying "congratulations on the gig with the beeb. If you are moving to London, can I take your car?"

As one character once said to Frasier, "I see you have your brother's wit"..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Ryan Tubridy confirms talks with BBC

RTE website are carrying the story..

As one character once said to Frasier, "I see you have your brother's wit"..

Love the user comments at the end. Remember folks, these comments can be rated by us...I have given my thumbs up to a lot of them...I think that gives the general concensus of what theyre saying! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

telekon wrote: »
    Love the user comments at the end. Remember folks, these comments can be rated by us...I have given my thumbs up to a lot of them...I think that gives the general concensus of what theyre saying! :D

Waiting for moderator approval on mine.
    *bites nails*

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would say Henry Kelly is sh1ting himself

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He's a sharp wit
    it's great to have such an intellect on the radio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

This BBC stuff comes up every once in a while....

Nothing ever comes of it, why would they go for him when there are so many more well known British names to pick from.

This is all contract bluff. RTE should grow a pair and call him on it.

But they won't.

giftgrub wrote: »
    This is all contract bluff. RTE should grow a pair and call him on it.

Well I thought that too, but surely somebody in the BBC would deny it if it weren't true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

mikom wrote: »
    Waiting for moderator approval on mine.
    *bites nails*

Did it get approved? Mine didn't, I think I made the mistake of being critical of both Tubridy and RTE - where seemingly is a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Well need i say any more he is off by the looks of things.
    He was not saying a whole lot by saying its talk and i will be here tomor and the next day etc,then a slight stumble RTE are rubbing there hands now saying i hope the DLB goes and stays in the UK then we will not have to fire him.
    Will leahy even said it would be great on his show today.

DONT FORGET TO CLOSE THE DOOR ON THE WAY OUT TUBS...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭polly78

I think the show has improved massively since christmas, I never thought I'd say anything positive about him :eek: but those two person conversations he has with himself crack me up, I find him a lot more relaxed and genuinely funny. His rant about Gwyneth Paltrow this morning was hilarious, i nearly wet myself laughing. It must be admitted since sept he no longer spends the entire show indulging in rambling on about his own interests. Considering whats coming on after him his show is great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

"Rookster" banned for 1 week for abusive language towards a radio presenter.

Also: Please remember that, as per the charter (see the "CONTENT OF POSTS" section), both pro-show comments and anti-show comments are equally acceptable here. Greeting a pro-show comment with an accusation of being the presenter (or, as COMMON SENSE dictates, someone associated with them) will result in a one day ban... which it just has for "Squonk".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Rubik. wrote: »
    Did it get approved? Mine didn't, I think I made the mistake of being critical of both Tubridy and RTE - where seemingly is a no no.

Yep, got approved.
    I just went with the Tubridy angle.

I'm not sure what you mean by "warned people".. You're not Donald Pleasance and this is NOT Halloween... :D... It would be GREAT NEWS if he was gone. This would be an easy way to get rid of a HUGE liability on the state... They could give the slot to Colm Hayes, and not bother replacing Tubridy or his wages..

Unfortunately, he's only going while the Late Late Show is on Summer break by the look of it..

I would go to the ends of the earth to prevent Colm Hayes from having anymore airtime than he already has (which is two hrs too much); If this thread is gonna be comparitive, I vote Tubs for the whole four hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I disagree and I think you'll find that Colm Hayes is probably the only one on the daytime slot holding a steady audience at the minute. He's well able for the old 9 to 12 slot which badly needs to be reborn. Tubs is just not cut out for that slot. I'm not sure who he's trying to attract tbh I'm interested in David Harveys figures in the next jnlr as I think alot of old G Ryan listeners have switched to 4fm at that time including myself. At least I know when I turn on Colm Hayes I know it's real life problems not what or who is going to the royal wedding for the fiftieth time!.

Actually I think I know what the issue is with tubs. You know what your getting with him. With G Ryan you didn't and Colm Hayes seems to be more like G Ryan

What I cannot tolerate is colm hayes opening his show with "give us a call....or text....or email....or get us on twitter", he repeats this mantra throughout the two hours. Then when people do call in all he says is "yeah, i know" or "I dunno, u tell me" and he fills in the gaps with imbecilic giggling or stupid voices, what? Ryan has at least got some banter of his own, recommendations of different books or music and funny anecdotes, Ryan can hold the show on his own whereas Colm is begging for the listeners to fill his airtime. Furthermore Ryan has far more serious real life issues discussed on his show. To compare Colm Hayes with Gerry Ryan is so far off the mark I'd have to wonder if u ever listened to Gerrys show. I find his topics of conversation would only appeal to the very easily stimulated audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

"Tubridy is being lined up to temporarily replace Graham Norton as host of his Saturday morning BBC Radio 2 show. Norton took over the time slot show last year after Jonathan Ross left the BBC".

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0414/breaking63.html

A lot of fuss about nothing really. It might lead onto bigger and better things, but my guess is - it won't.

He confirmed on the show today that IF the deal comes through it will only be him filling in Saturdays, and he WILL be on the radio show and TV show for the usual amount of hours... :(

I think he is a workaholic really when you sum all the work up.
    i heard his chat this morning and i still think there is more to be told.
    how does he spend time with his kids with all the work?

bbability wrote: »
    I disagree and I think you'll find that Colm Hayes is probably the only one on the daytime slot holding a steady audience at the minute. He's well able for the old 9 to 12 slot which badly needs to be reborn. Tubs is just not cut out for that slot. I'm not sure who he's trying to attract tbh I'm interested in David Harveys figures in the next jnlr as I think alot of old G Ryan listeners have switched to 4fm at that time including myself. At least I know when I turn on Colm Hayes I know it's real life problems not what or who is going to the royal wedding for the fiftieth time!.

Actually I think I know what the issue is with tubs. You know what your getting with him. With G Ryan you didn't and Colm Hayes seems to be more like G Ryan

Colm hayes connects with people and does not talk about what he wants to talk about for the entire show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Colm hayes connects with people and does not talk about what he wants to talk about for the entire show.

I liked Colm Hayes for the first few weeks, but to be honest I never listen to him now. Cannot put my finger on it, but he annoys me. I think he tries to dumb down the show and some days frankly talks about really stupid topics. He also tends to just cut people off for the news or an ad break. All I can say is that I would never phone his show .....but then I don't think I am the demographic he is trying to appeal to.

Fiona Looney filled in for him a while ago and I thought she did a great job. She manages to sound much more sincere than Hayes and has more empathy with most callers. She also has a very pleasant voice, whereas Hayes with his 'bob-eye bob-eye' really grates after a while.

• Advertisement

Dublin_Mom wrote: »
    I liked Colm Hayes for the first few weeks, but to be honest I never listen to him now. Cannot put my finger on it, but he annoys me. I think he tries to dumb down the show and some days frankly talks about really stupid topics. He also tends to just cut people off for the news or an ad break. All I can say is that I would never phone his show .....but then I don't think I am the demographic he is trying to appeal to.

Fiona Looney filled in for him a while ago and I thought she did a great job. She manages to sound much more sincere than Hayes and has more empathy with most callers. She also has a very pleasant voice, whereas Hayes with his 'bob-eye bob-eye' really grates after a while.

Fiona is a looney LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

jimmynokia wrote: »
    I think he is a workaholic really when you sum all the work up.
    i heard his chat this morning and i still think there is more to be told.
    how does he spend time with his kids with all the work?

He probably works less hours per day than your average full-time working dad(Apart from Friday's of course, when he probably has to stay in the RTE building for the whole day). Most people work 9-5. I work 8-6! I doubt Tubridy stays in RTE until 5 or 6. He probably gets in at 7 or 8 in he morning to prep the show and goes home at 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I'm only guessing here, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

So much of what i have written on here over the past few months has come to pass. I hope that people such as Jon,Jimmy,Poly,Mrsdewinter and Telekon are happy now. Is this what you wanted? To force Ryan out of RTE and Ireland? You refuse to give him any credit or even acknowledge his charity or tourism work. Toys for Tubs has been completely forgotten over the past weeks.
    Look at all his previous shows on RTE: Morning Glory, All Things Bright and Beautiful, Full Irish, TTS, Tubridy Tonight, The Rose and LLS. Every single one of them has been a spectacular success. More than likely i am never going to convince ye and am just wasting my time.
    Now at the first moment of weakness a pack of rabid dogs have come to feast over Ryan's Keatingian carcass. But why? Something's fetid here. The comparsion with Obama's troubles with the Tea Party in the US are valid, in Tubridy the moderniser being attacked by the cultural retards and luddites.
    He is the best political interviewer we have and has an amazing political mind. All that political knowledge could help him play a game with RTE. Gar Tubridy is the only one who comes to mind a ready made replacement but he doesn't have the same levels of media experience.

Everything i said on here was scoffed at. I said how i hoped that Gay would protect Ryan and give him advice now that Gerry was gone and that's exactly what happened. Last summer Gay said that Ryan was right to reject the BBC's offer but, on this occasion it was Gay who told Ryan to take up the position. What altered Gay's position so dramatically? I think he knows Ryan isn't being properly appreciated here, Gay was in the place throughout his career.
    Ryan is paid a pittance compared to the top stars in England and the US. He is replacing Graham Norton yet is not earning a twentieth of Norton's salary. This must sicken Ryan as he knows that he could be earning good money.

This crisis has got people thinking that Ryan might actually go and maybe has put the spooks up some of those old greymouths on the boards of RTE. Maybe it has finally hit some of the negative posters on here that his departure is imminent. What will say then because who knows if 2FM will actually survive his loss.
    Ryan can use the BBC job to threaten RTE and the people of Ireland with the thought that he would leave. Considering how much he is worth to RTE, i believe that RTE would have to offer him millions in order to hold onto him. If the BBC gig goes well then it's all to the better.
    On another point certain posters on here claim that Ryan never addresses serious issues. He launched a major campaign against suicide on friday's show and was sympathetic to family members who had lost someone to suicide. He also said that Catherine Zeta Jones's bipolar disorder will help normalise the issue. He is dealing with mental health issues, that is not frivolous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thankyou for that, nothing wrong with a hearty laugh on a Sunday lunchtime :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

ghiertal wrote: »
    So much of what i have written on here over the past few months has come to pass. I hope that people such as Jon,Jimmy,Poly,Mrsdewinter and Telekon are happy now. Is this what you wanted? To force Ryan out of RTE and Ireland? You refuse to give him any credit or even acknowledge his charity or tourism work. Toys for Tubs has been completely forgotten over the past weeks.
    Look at all his previous shows on RTE: Morning Glory, All Things Bright and Beautiful, Full Irish, TTS, Tubridy Tonight, The Rose and LLS. Every single one of them has been a spectacular success. More than likely i am never going to convince ye and am just wasting my time.
    Now at the first moment of weakness a pack of rabid dogs have come to feast over Ryan's Keatingian carcass. But why? Something's fetid here. The comparsion with Obama's troubles with the Tea Party in the US are valid, in Tubridy the moderniser being attacked by the cultural retards and luddites.
    He is the best political interviewer we have and has an amazing political mind. All that political knowledge could help him play a game with RTE. Gar Tubridy is the only one who comes to mind a ready made replacement but he doesn't have the same levels of media experience.

Everything i said on here was scoffed at. I said how i hoped that Gay would protect Ryan and give him advice now that Gerry was gone and that's exactly what happened. Last summer Gay said that Ryan was right to reject the BBC's offer but, on this occasion it was Gay who told Ryan to take up the position. What altered Gay's position so dramatically? I think he knows Ryan isn't being properly appreciated here, Gay was in the place throughout his career.
    Ryan is paid a pittance compared to the top stars in England and the US. He is replacing Graham Norton yet is not earning a twentieth of Norton's salary. This must sicken Ryan as he knows that he could be earning good money.

This crisis has got people thinking that Ryan might actually go and maybe has put the spooks up some of those old greymouths on the boards of RTE. Maybe it has finally hit some of the negative posters on here that his departure is imminent. What will say then because who knows if 2FM will actually survive his loss.
    Ryan can use the BBC job to threaten RTE and the people of Ireland with the thought that he would leave. Considering how much he is worth to RTE, i believe that RTE would have to offer him millions in order to hold onto him. If the BBC gig goes well then it's all to the better.
    On another point certain posters on here claim that Ryan never addresses serious issues. He launched a major campaign against suicide on friday's show and was sympathetic to family members who had lost someone to suicide. He also said that Catherine Zeta Jones's bipolar disorder will help normalise the issue. He is dealing with mental health issues, that is not frivolous.

:D >>>>>>>>>>>http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055873286

@ ghiertal GET OVER IT

ghiertal wrote: »
    So much of what i have written on here over the past few months has come to pass. I hope that people such as Jon,Jimmy,Poly,Mrsdewinter and Telekon are happy now. Is this what you wanted? To force Ryan out of RTE and Ireland?

I think you are taking things far too personally.. I actually enjoy your posts, for what it's worth.. But yes, I would be happy if Tubridy left and went to the UK full time.. Again at the weekend, if you compare the two chat shows, Brendan was well out on top in the entertainment stakes with lesser guests.. Tubridy has no god given entitlement to pull a half million out of the state, if he thinks he can do better then he should move.. I, for one, would have more respect for the chap if he cut off the apron strings and got non RTE job.. I think he really needs to prove to himself and others that he could actually get a job outside of RTE.
    He is the best political interviewer we have and has an amazing political mind.

It would certainly seem that he would be more suited to something in the political genre, as opposed to light entertainment.. But he has never done or said anything to make me think that he would be better than Pat Kenny, who love him or hate him, is excellent.
    Ryan is paid a pittance compared to the top stars in England and the US.

He is earning over half a million for broadcasting to 4 million people.... UK is a much larger audience and the pay reflects that.. In a country that is broke, he is a huge liability.. especially given that his radio show is hemorrhaging listeners

He probably works less hours per day than your average full-time working dad(Apart from Friday's of course, when he probably has to stay in the RTE building for the whole day). Most people work 9-5. I work 8-6! I doubt Tubridy stays in RTE until 5 or 6. He probably gets in at 7 or 8 in he morning to prep the show and goes home at 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I'm only guessing here, mind.

On top of that his engagements he goes on about his book business,his meetings
    his traveling with the show...
    Not much leverage there.
    Now with the new work for the BBC that involves travelling for the summer holidays.
    you think the man would take the 8 weeks off he has enough money and prob gets paid for been off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Great post Ghiertal, I don't agree with any of it, but still a great post.

Another broadside from the Sindo:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/late-late-needs-saving-from-private-ryan-2621839.html

I'm thinking all of Tub's FF guff has come back to bite him in the ass. Since the election, he has changed his tune, but this is too little too late.

I think there is now going to be a subtle purge of RTE FF'ers starting with Mr. Tubs.

Tubs taking the BBC gig could be the excuse RTE were looking for to can him.

I'm betting he won't be back on radio or TV.

• Advertisement

Tubs taking the BBC gig could be the excuse RTE were looking for to can him

my thoughts as i mentioned earlier:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement