Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

ghiertal wrote: »
    Why are so many people such as JimmyNokia et al. plus journalists anxious to have a pop at Ryan's radio show? Most probably because he is hosting the LLS and is as such seen as culpable for the decline in the quality of the Irish chat show. Ryan can only work with the guests he is given and the researchers on the LLS are not doing it for him or the audience.I wonder next week will we see a member of Boyzone/Westlife or someone connected with Louis Walsh, it's just getting plain lazy at this stage. I believe that this is feeding in the poor figures on 2fm, as people think he is boring and maybe it is leaving a sour taste in some mouths. John Boland had an interesting and prescient article prior to the beginning of Ryan's tenure.

http://www.johnboland.ie/2011/01/28/ryan-tubridy/

Boland also commented on Ryan's "Bucket and Spade Tour" farewell jaunt from Radio 1. Boland said "There’s no doubt that Tubridy’s determinedly upbeat persona will fit snugly into 2FM’s ethos." If it doesn't work out then there's no-one to blame, sometimes it just doesn't happen for us, no matter how talented or well-liked we are.

I feel that the stars are beginning to align against him especially when i read Gay's shocking comment at Gerry's anniversary mass and then Pat Kenny's snide remarks after the JNLRs.

Gay said he was not particularly close to Gerry because their broadcasting careers did not overlap for long. But he said he never saw him under the influence of drink or drugs. "Joe Duffy and Ryan Tubridy would have been far closer to him," he said. "They would have seen him every day. But I enjoyed his company. He was great fun and larger than life." Then he was pictured smiling and joking with Duffy, it was if he was trying to isolate and humiliate Ryan. Was Ryan to blame for Gerry's death, as Gay was seeming to say. Gay is supposed to be Ryan's mentor so to say something like this was absolutely unbelievable.

Kenny's disingenuous remarks should be ignored. PK "Gerry's shoes were never going to be filled easily. I think I said to Ryan, or if I didn't I should, when the accolades were being heaped on him after 'The Late Late Show just wait. A constant stream of compliments and good news never lasts. The press needs a dynamic; the hero becomes a villain and the villain becomes a hero.". To pretend to offer Ryan advice and then, oh, maybe i forgot to do so. Pat, Ryan is struggling now, don't stick the knife in.

I wonder how Gerry would feel about the behaviour of these two? Disappointed? Is there some anger amongst the old farts in RTE about Ryan's move to the BBC? Definitely a campaign has been mounted in order to discredit him, with Gay and Pat at the vanguard of it.

Interesting post ghiertal. I must say though that you lay the blame at the foot of everyone but Tubridy. You name check posters on Boards, Journalists, LLS researchers, Gay Byrne whom you speculate was tried to humiliate Tubridy and Pat Kenny. Your theory that there is a campain being mounted against him prompted by jealously of his mooted 2 hours a week seasonal work on the BCC makes you seem paranoid.

For far more plausible reasons for Tubridy's fall are his inability to relate to ordinary people, his rigid interviewing style, his adherence to his own particular narrow interests and his belief that his perma-chipry, peudo-geeky, quippy, fast-talking chatshow host persona would sustain his golden child status within Irish broadcasting. All of these things in my view prevent him from connecting in a meaningful with listeners and viewers.

And it appears that he is clueless as to how to arrest the decline in his popularity. He response last week to the JNLR figures 'We will continue to fight the good fight' was telling. It implies that he believes is nobly doing the right thing against the odds, that if he continues to bravely stick to his guns that things will come good. The game is up the writing is on the wall and if his bluff is called re his flirting with the BBC and he is allowed to go he will find himself adrift even further out of his depth.

A question for you ghiertal. Do you truly think he is completely blameless?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Why are so many people such as JimmyNokia et al. plus journalists anxious to have a pop at Ryan's radio show? Most probably because he is hosting the LLS and is as such seen as culpable for the decline in the quality of the Irish chat show. Ryan can only work with the guests he is given and the researchers on the LLS are not doing it for him or the audience.I wonder next week will we see a member of Boyzone/Westlife or someone connected with Louis Walsh, it's just getting plain lazy at this stage. I believe that this is feeding in the poor figures on 2fm, as people think he is boring and maybe it is leaving a sour taste in some mouths. John Boland had an interesting and prescient article prior to the beginning of Ryan's tenure.

http://www.johnboland.ie/2011/01/28/ryan-tubridy/

Boland also commented on Ryan's "Bucket and Spade Tour" farewell jaunt from Radio 1. Boland said "There’s no doubt that Tubridy’s determinedly upbeat persona will fit snugly into 2FM’s ethos." If it doesn't work out then there's no-one to blame, sometimes it just doesn't happen for us, no matter how talented or well-liked we are.

I feel that the stars are beginning to align against him especially when i read Gay's shocking comment at Gerry's anniversary mass and then Pat Kenny's snide remarks after the JNLRs.

Gay said he was not particularly close to Gerry because their broadcasting careers did not overlap for long. But he said he never saw him under the influence of drink or drugs. "Joe Duffy and Ryan Tubridy would have been far closer to him," he said. "They would have seen him every day. But I enjoyed his company. He was great fun and larger than life." Then he was pictured smiling and joking with Duffy, it was if he was trying to isolate and humiliate Ryan. Was Ryan to blame for Gerry's death, as Gay was seeming to say. Gay is supposed to be Ryan's mentor so to say something like this was absolutely unbelievable.

Kenny's disingenuous remarks should be ignored. PK "Gerry's shoes were never going to be filled easily. I think I said to Ryan, or if I didn't I should, when the accolades were being heaped on him after 'The Late Late Show just wait. A constant stream of compliments and good news never lasts. The press needs a dynamic; the hero becomes a villain and the villain becomes a hero.". To pretend to offer Ryan advice and then, oh, maybe i forgot to do so. Pat, Ryan is struggling now, don't stick the knife in.

I wonder how Gerry would feel about the behaviour of these two? Disappointed? Is there some anger amongst the old farts in RTE about Ryan's move to the BBC? Definitely a campaign has been mounted in order to discredit him, with Gay and Pat at the vanguard of it.
    As bad as brendan o connor is or was, he get a lot more fun out of the irish (rte canteen) guests, as for the international guests, just watch Jonathan Ross or Graham Norton and see how much fun they have...

Reading a series of unrelated questions off a card does not make a good interview. To be honest he's paid enough to do his own research, he should at least read up a bit on his guests.

Case study:
    Jack Black. Watch Jack Black on the late late show and on Graham Norton....two very different interviews...
    One example i recall is DLB asking bluntly "so your parents are rocket scientists?" in an ignorant manner....

Jack responded kind of awkwardly ..."er no....they're engineers"
    Once he established they were highly intelligent people his next question was...."so where did they get you from?"
    Jack looked very insulted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think Gheirtal is attributing way too much importance to the statements of Pat Kenny and Gay Byrne.. They are peripheral figures at this stage, and wont make or break Tubridy's career with their opinions.. Personally I didnt think what either of them said was particularly critical, but it is hard to read a tone from printed statements..

From your article:
    no matter what kind of dead-asses are on the show, he has to make them funny and exciting. He has to be their nurse and their surgeon. He does his work and he comes prepared. What’s more, he does it without a net. No rewrites. No retakes.”

Tubridy has the ability to make interesting guests seem boring.. Cue cards, video clips and predictable questions kill any chance of anything spontaneous or exciting from happening.. He says he does "homework" (i.e. research) for the Late Late Show but this seems to comprise of just reading a guest's wiki page.. What he should do is sit down and ask himself "what can I do to make this interview interesting for my audience?".. Tubridy's spiraling reputation is his own fault, and it is well within his remit to redeem himself.. only question is, is he brave enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

BBC confirms Tubridy's summer show
    The BBC has today announced details of Ryan Tubridy's summer show on BBC Radio 2."I will continue as host of Tubridy on RTÉ 2FM, a show I love presenting". Tubridy will take over Graham Norton's Saturday morning slot (10am-1pm) from 23 July for eight weeks, with the BBC press release describing him as "arguably the biggest chat show host and television presenter in Ireland".

Of his BBC Radio 2 debut, Tubridy said: "I am very much looking forward to my brief tenure with Radio 2. It's a station that is steeped in pop cultural history and I consider it an honour to look after Graham Norton's studio while he's away on a well-earned break."

He continued: "I will continue as host of 'Tubridy' on RTÉ 2FM, a show I love presenting, so while it will be a busy summer, it'll be a bit of an adventure, so here goes..." Lewis Carnie, Head of Programmes, BBC Radio 2 and 6 Music, added: "It's always exciting to introduce new voices to the schedule, and I'm delighted that we've managed to persuade another of Ireland's biggest stars to work his magic on Radio 2." Norton returns to the show on 17 September.

You really would wonder are the BBC aware that his current radio show is LOSING thousands of listeners every quarter? :confused: And how is he a fit to replace Graham Norton, they couldnt be more disimilar..

BBC confirms Tubridy's summer show

You really would wonder are the BBC aware that his current radio show is LOSING thousands of listeners every quarter? :confused: And how is he a fit to replace Graham Norton, they couldnt be more disimilar..
    was he a bargain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

BBC press release describing him as "arguably the biggest chat show host and television presenter in Ireland

There is no argument the bbc should tune in and listen for a week and then they will say WTF are we thinking off.

i tried to give tubs some time and its completely ran out nothing has changed,nothing will change he is RTEs golden boy as far as i can see.
    In the background RTE must be thinking he might just go and stay with the BBC.
    But if the BBC are doing any homework they might let him do his summer stint and that will be it.

IM looking forward the THE LLS friday as tubridy mentioned this countless times and i hope the BBC are watching.
    There is no doubt this will be good for ratings with the mc canns but he defended them down to the ground on the radio this morning.
    Again not listening to both sides of the callers arguments,and sticking to his own guns.
    This interview could go terribly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

GAY Byrne has said that the morning radio programme hosted by Ryan Tubridy is so bad, the younger man could yet "die an ignominious death".
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gay-tubridys-show-so-bad-131291.html

I was just thinking about Gay's relationship with Ryan and trying to remember any positive remarks he made concerning the young pretender when i came across this article from 2006, after Ryan began his stint on RTE 1. I find Gay's role as Ryan's mentor somewhat confusing, when you consider that Gay told Ryan to take the Radio 1 job, the LLS, then firstly advised him not to take the BBC position only to reverse his position a year later and make Ryan go to London. His remarks on Ryan's relationship with Gerry were inexplicable. I can't understand why Gay is so consistently critical of Ryan. It's as if he is jealous of Ryan or has some kind of hatred of him.

However we can glean some hope from this because by the time of "The Bucket and Spade Tour" Ryan's show was the best thing on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Gaybo seemed to have a short memory. Tubridy cut his teeth on Radio One. He was a reporter for 5/7 Live, and he also hosted a Saturday morning show on Radio One called "Morning Glory" which wasn't bad as it goes.

I've no axe to grind with Ryan Tubridy but if he's going to turn the ship around on 2FM then he's got to have a serious rethink about his presentation style. To be honest, I'm tired of hearing him talk about books, JFK, The West Wing, James Stewart, lounge music etc. Okay, we know he likes that stuff, but he doesn't need to talk about it ad nauseum. I also think he should ditch the pseudo-nerd thing - that's really starting to wear thin.

I'm not really sure if he'll ever really appeal to the Gerry Ryan audience as GRyan was a bit more earthy about things (personally I could only take the guy in short doses but he did seem to have a rapport with women in their 30s and 40s that Tubridy doesn't seem to have)

As for Gaybo's comments about working too hard, how about doing a REAL feckin job Gaybo? It always p!sses me off to hear these obscenely paid media luvvies talking about "how hard they work". Try doing a 40 hour a week shift in a factory some time for just above the minimum wage and then you might know what it's like to work hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

i just cant warm tooo or never could to tubbers he just makes me cringe uhhhhhh id love to just send him off to the Aussie outback never to be seen or heard of again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Lewis Carnie, Head of Programmes, BBC Radio 2 and 6 Music, added: "It's always exciting to introduce new voices to the schedule, and I'm delighted that we've managed to persuade another of Ireland's biggest stars to work his magic on Radio 2.

I hope that RTE take the hint from BBC and start introducing new voices to their schedule.

Also, considering Tubridy, Finucane, Duffy, Kenny etc take annual extended holidays to refresh their batteries.......is Tubridy not going to be worn out at the end of the summer heading in to another season of his daily radio programme allied to the Late Late Show.

In my opinion RTE should make their mind up about Tubridy ....he should do either a radio programme or the Late Late Show and fully concentrate and develop him in the show chosen. His pay should also drop in line with this and his losses of listeners. I am not sure which show he should continue with as I hardly ever listen to his radio show anymore. My wife used to listen to Gerry Ryan but listens to today FM or CD's now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Gaybo seemed to have a short memory. Tubridy cut his teeth on Radio One. He was a reporter for 5/7 Live, and he also hosted a Saturday morning show on Radio One called "Morning Glory" which wasn't bad as it goes.

I've no axe to grind with Ryan Tubridy but if he's going to turn the ship around on 2FM then he's got to have a serious rethink about his presentation style. To be honest, I'm tired of hearing him talk about books, JFK, The West Wing, James Stewart, lounge music etc. Okay, we know he likes that stuff, but he doesn't need to talk about it ad nauseum. I also think he should ditch the pseudo-nerd thing - that's really starting to wear thin.

I'm not really sure if he'll ever really appeal to the Gerry Ryan audience as GRyan was a bit more earthy about things (personally I could only take the guy in short doses but he did seem to have a rapport with women in their 30s and 40s that Tubridy doesn't seem to have)

As for Gaybo's comments about working too hard, how about doing a REAL feckin job Gaybo? It always p!sses me off to hear these obscenely paid media luvvies talking about "how hard they work". Try doing a 40 hour a week shift in a factory some time for just above the minimum wage and then you might know what it's like to work hard!

Is he on about this stuff on 2FM also?? has he changed his style at all going from R1 to 2FM?

The one thing I remember from the shows I did here was that every som often he would go off on a tangent that seemed out of character for him and I remember thinking....he has been listening to tapes of Gerry Ryan and is trying to copy some of his ideas / phrases etc.

Tubs says he is meeting the queen imagine that.Well YRH do you like west wing,jfk,what book are you reading twitter twitter tweet the queen replies sod off little boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Found this article on gay's link with Ryan's family. Think it explains alot of what is going on out in Ballsbridge.Gay clearly still holds a grudge against Ryan, but is operating in an underhand manner in order to make Ryan look stupid.

http://www.tribune.ie/archive/article/2005/sep/11/fire-that-f-ker-byrne-ryan-tubridys-grandfather-to/

Lempsipmax, yes I do think Ryan is completely blameless for the fall in numbers, because he is not suited to 2fm. His show is too highbrow especially coming directly after Hector's nonsense. For instance today Ryan was focused on the literary, giving tidbits from the McCann book and then orchestrating a literary-themed quiz. He often spends the first half hour ambling through the papers dissecting Ireland political and cultural state. If the presenter of the 7-9 breakfast show on 2fm could be changed to a more suitable partner such as Ray D'arcy it would make for a more effective partnership.Yet still, i believe that he would be far better on Pat Kenny's 10-12 slot or maybe with an hour extra(from TTS) from 9-11 instead on Radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

About 9.15 this he took the hump with a paper that described him as the broadcasting equivalent of rohypnol. ( can't find the link)

He advised people that don't like him to turn off.
    The guy is shedding listeners by the bucketload and he advises people to turn off- genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Poly wrote: »
    About 9.15 this he took the hump with a paper that described him as the broadcasting equivalent of rohypnol. ( can't find the link)

He advised people that don't like him to turn off.
    The guy is shedding listeners by the bucketload and he advises people to turn off- genius

He is entitled to be offended by someone describing him as the radio equivalent of Rohypnol, that's uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

SkidMark wrote: »
    He is entitled to be offended by someone describing him as the radio equivalent of Rohypnol, that's uncalled for.
    Yes I heard that too. I think that crossed the line (which is why I assume he read it out), whatever about the internet, on the newspaper was a bit harsh in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

SkidMark wrote: »

...because he knows its true?

Found this article on gay's link with Ryan's family. Think it explains alot of what is going on out in Ballsbridge.Gay clearly still holds a grudge against Ryan, but is operating in an underhand manner in order to make Ryan look stupid.

http://www.tribune.ie/archive/article/2005/sep/11/fire-that-f-ker-byrne-ryan-tubridys-grandfather-to/

Lempsipmax, yes I do think Ryan is completely blameless for the fall in numbers, because he is not suited to 2fm. His show is too highbrow especially coming directly after Hector's nonsense. For instance today Ryan was focused on the literary, giving tidbits from the McCann book and then orchestrating a literary-themed quiz. He often spends the first half hour ambling through the papers dissecting Ireland political and cultural state. If the presenter of the 7-9 breakfast show on 2fm could be changed to a more suitable partner such as Ray D'arcy it would make for a more effective partnership.Yet still, i believe that he would be far better on Pat Kenny's 10-12 slot or maybe with an hour extra(from TTS) from 9-11 instead on Radio 1.
    Highbrow - Used colloquially as a noun or adjective, highbrow is synonymous with intellectual; as an adjective, it also means elite, and generally carries a connotation of high culture.

DLB is so far from highbrow that i declare you a troll....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I think people really really need to understand what terms like "highbrow" mean. Tubridy is light entertaiinement,magazine type content and that's all he is capable of.There's nothing wrong with that. Gay Byrne was the same.Neither are towering intellectuals,I can assure you.
    You can like Tubridy all you want but please let us be serious about what defines "highbrow".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Even Tubs himself would find the high-brow tag a bit OTT. If you want intellectual stimulation... I don't know where you should go... Andy O'Mahony, I guess. Myles Dungan? Melvyn Bragg on BBC Radio 4?
    In any case, it's not what anybody's looking for as they wash up the breakfast dishes/ settle down to work in the office/ make the commute to work/ update their CV for the umpteenth time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I'm sorry but that logic is nuts and makes no sense.

He seems to have an issue with talking to kids on the radio always says(why are you not at school)
    There was some child on again this morning stayed out late just to speak to him
    and he shot her down like a tonne of bricks.As he does with them all.
    the DLB should be lucky there is somebody wanting to speak to him.

He licked saoirse ronans ass today bigtime too....

jimmynokia wrote: »
    He licked saoirse ronans ass today bigtime too....
    He is obsessed with her,(jellybeans awkward teenage boy trying to act cool in front of the cool girl kind of way)
    But she appears to be a big fan of him also so good for them.

miketv wrote: »
    He is obsessed with her,(jellybeans awkward teenage boy trying to act cool in front of the cool girl kind of way)

No doubt tubs had a pedal afterwards,same as he does 5 times a night under the desk on the LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

miketv wrote: »

hey, I came up with the awkward teenae boy idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

ghiertal - very interesting article, thanks. Just shows how inbred the whole broadcasting community is in Ireland, and it must influence how Gay feels about Tubs unfettered ascent to the top of the RTE tree. I dont think I agree with you that anything related to the McCanns is literary, more tabloid if you ask me. However I do respect your right to you opinion. Declaring you a troll is unfair, just because you are outnumbered in this thread. I commend you for continuing to engage in the debate and providing some balance on the topic of tubs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tapes

I have nothing against tubridy but the guy belongs on RTE Radio 1, 2fm is a music station and it should be playing music at the time of the day.

goose2005 wrote: »
    hey, I came up with the awkward teenae boy idea.
    To be fair you did goose, Its a great analogy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

jimmynokia wrote: »
    No doubt tubs had a pedal afterwards,same as he does 5 times a night under the desk on the LLS.

Is that the same as a "Tommy"?:D

I've given up on Tubs altogether...even the first 15 or 20 minutes doesnt hold that Partridrge-esque attraction like it used to

Advertisement