Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

yep

Almost a week later not a change in his show so its obvious he aint listening or does not want to or RTE are turning a blind eye to the golden boy thats costing them(US) money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭prunudo

jimmynokia wrote: »
    yep

Almost a week later not a change in his show so its obvious he aint listening or does not want to or RTE are turning a blind eye to the golden boy thats costing them(US) money.

Oh how that thought crossed my mind as I opened my €160 tax request today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 72,238 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Listening to his podcasts, it becomes more clear that Ryan and RTE bosses are aiming his show at the 'stay-at-home housewife' market - health issues, talking fashion with Margaret E. Ward, parenting advice. Basically things that the Gerry Ryan-loving taxi driver can't relate to. What do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Did anybody read Stephen Price's article in the Sunday Times' Culture section today? He takes a look at 2FM at large, and argues that the post-Gerry slump in listeners to the Tubridy show is symptomatic of fundamental flaws in the station's scheduling. [Just to save constant interjections of 'he wrote', I'm going to just outline what he said...] Even before Gerry died, the station was too reliant on him; now, without him, the cracks are glaringly obvious. Trotting along after such a unique character, Tubs is in an impossible situation that's not of his making. 2FM's greatest error was and is trying to emulate the FM102s and Today FMs of this world: the stations which fill up airtime with chart-driven rubbish and cheap showbiz items because they don't have RTE-style budgets. Why doesn't 2FM focus on niche music shows that would offer something a little different to the listener? BBC Radio 2 underwent a similar reinvention about 15 years ago, and is now 'Britain's most popular station'.
    :::
    Here's my tuppence worth: I'm not a 2FM listener, so what I think is largely irrelevant. But I think there's a lot of merit in what Mr Price suggests. Let's face it, the wall-to-wall chart music stations are two a penny. If the national broadcaster's second station were to dedicate, say 5 hours a week to trad, 5 hours a week to jazz (obvs 5 hours a week to Golden Oldies from Larry), and let the commercial stations have a clear run at the RnB-lovin kids (who prolly find 2FM desperately naff any way) and cultivate a literate, grown-up audience who may, you know, watch the odd episode of Mad Men, or imagine themselves as a sharp young aide in the Kennedy White House...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

2FM has always been naff, ever since it first started broadcasting. The problem seems to be that Radio One is still looked upon as a "middle of the road" station when it comes to their music output, ie Ronan Collins, John Creedon and Late Date. If Radio One became soley and exclusively a news driven station with magazine programmes such as Mooney and John Murray peppered in here and there, then that would give 2FM the opportunity to position itself as the "BBC Radio 2" of Irish broadcasting. At the moment it's neither fish nor fowl. Most of the "youngsters" listen to their iPods these days anyway.
    RTE should take the hint from the UK that BBC Radio 2 is by far the most listened-to station, meaning there's a big market for the mid 30's and upwards audience. It's the media's obsession with "yoof" which stops them seeing the wood for the trees.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Tubs is being interviewed on the Today programme, BBC Radio 4 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Lapin wrote: »
    Tubs is being interviewed on the Today programme, BBC Radio 4 now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9488000/9488417.stm

Go about 5 mins in

Quick "Tommy" after that I'd say...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

giftgrub wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9488000/9488417.stm

Go about 5 mins in

Quick "Tommy" after that I'd say...

He handled that surprisingly well. No mention of Mad Men or JFK anywhere...he can do it! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

By Lynne Kelleher

Tuesday May 17 2011

'LATE Late Show' host Ryan Tubridy has revealed he will break the ice with Queen Elizabeth by joking about the sporting rivalry between Ireland and England.
    The broadcaster, right, whose grandfather Todd Andrews played an active role in the IRA during the War Of Independence, was chosen to be royal tour guide to point out the major sights in Dublin to the monarch and her husband from the heights of the Gravity Bar in the Guinness Storehouse tomorrow.
    And he suggested that the queen and Prince Philip, might sip a drop of the famous stout in the bar overlooking the city.
    "I will be giving her a tour of Dublin from the height of the Gravity Bar in the Guinness Storehouse. She'll come in with her husband and meet some people.
    "I will say there are some great sights we have here. There is the Aviva stadium, where England and Ireland would have met quite recently in a match. For two points, Prince Philip, who won?" joked the popular RTE broadcaster.
    "They will have a pint of Guinness poured for them by the master brewer and there will be a bit more history and then they will be gone for their next appointment," said Tubridy.
    He added that he hoped the visits by Queen Elizabeth and US President Barack Obama would boost the country's profile around the world.
    "'It will be an interesting few days.
    "There are 1,800 journalists from around the world covering the queen's visit and then the same again for Barack Obama," he said.
    "The international coverage is extraordinary and hopefully they will beam all that beautiful footage of the sights and sounds of this country to the UK and the US and maybe elsewhere around the world."
    - Lynne Kellehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did anybody read Stephen Price's article in the Sunday Times' Culture section today? He takes a look at 2FM at large, and argues that the post-Gerry slump in listeners to the Tubridy show is symptomatic of fundamental flaws in the station's scheduling.

/snip

I did hard to disagree with his overview, as what to do with the station well its so obvious it'll never happen. As you go on suggest (to a degree), get rid of the banal DJs and kids chart music and reshape the station along the lines of BBC Radio 2. Diverse music for people over a certain age who if they get hooked will spend a lot of time listening. 2FM weekday reach 7am - 7 pm is now 12% down from 21% only 6 years ago. Something has to be done.

• Advertisement

telekon wrote: »
    He handled that surprisingly well. No mention of Mad Men or JFK anywhere...he can do it! :eek:
    you know what!! Well done Ryan Tubridy that was actually brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I just wish he would not shout at the introduction of every caller. I listen to some podcasts but they blow my eardrums with "ANN GOOD MORNING!!!" or "MARY GOOD MORNING!!!" It's so annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

He is totally disconnected from reality. All he talks about is books and all things American. And why does he put on those stupid voices all the time? Does he think it's funny or what?

He did alot of rambling on today kept playing the speech when mammy spoke in irish he was,he must of played it ten times and kept saying let me just listen to that again its amazing.
    he also said he kept talking as there was nothing to talk about???

You speak when spoken to when it comes to mammy young tubbers.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dynamoshels

Complaint can be viewed on pages 6-8

http://www.bai.ie/pdfs/20110518_baicomplaintsfebapr11.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I'm no fan of Tubbs (or Ray Darcy for that matter), but what kind of saddo life must the people who complain about shít like that, live?
    At 10.20am, while Ray D'Arcy was talking to his guest, a person named Will used the F-word on two occasions. A few minutes later Mr D'Arcy used the phrase 'pissed off'. Mr Creedon thought the use of these words was OUTRAGEOUS. He thinks this kind of language is inappropriate at any time but especially so at that time of the morning.

It's comforting to know that people like Mr. Creedon are out there protecting us from these evil words.

God help us. :rolleyes:

FFS tubs just announced he is MC for the show at college green for obama. How does this boring merchant get these jobs. His wrist is on overtime now.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Oh No :eek: I was actually looking forward to going in...

No way can I go now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

Invariably these sorts of threads seem to turn into a competition to see who can say they dislike the subject of the thread more.

I don't enjoy Tubridy's style and don't listen to him on the Radio or on TV as a result. (Not having a tv helps avoid him there!).

Its often curious how those who claim to dislike the subject of the threads seem to know so much about them, and I remember particularly nasty threads here about Gerry Ryan, which had degenerated into personal abuse directed against him and members of his family. And mostly form peoplewho claimed to dislike him, but who spent considerable time discussing in some detail his book, (which they had read) or his shows, which they listened to.

I'm genuinly curious to know why, if you don't like (in this case) Tubridy, why would you waste your time listening to him and\or talking about him here? Sometimes it seems that some people enjoy listening to him if only to be able to discuss with schadenfreude how AWFUL he is!

• Advertisement

easychair wrote: »
    Invariably these sorts of threads seem to turn into a competition to see who can say they dislike the subject of the thread more.

I don't enjoy Tubridy's style and don't listen to him on the Radio or on TV as a result. (Not having a tv helps avoid him there!).

Its often curious how those who claim to dislike the subject of the threads seem to know so much about them, and I remember particularly nasty threads here about Gerry Ryan, which had degenerated into personal abuse directed against him and members of his family. And mostly form peoplewho claimed to dislike him, but who spent considerable time discussing in some detail his book, (which they had read) or his shows, which they listened to.

I'm genuinly curious to know why, if you don't like (in this case) Tubridy, why would you waste your time listening to him and\or talking about him here? Sometimes it seems that some people enjoy listening to him if only to be able to discuss with schadenfreude how AWFUL he is!
    it's also full of threads like these!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

FFS tubs just announced he is MC for the show at college green for obama. How does this boring merchant get these jobs. His wrist is on overtime now.

This is ridiculous.. The worse he gets, the more RTE seem to reward him.. My god, is there no REAL Irish person that we can have to meet dignitaries other than this carboard cutout.. Even give the job to Marty Whelan, he's a bit of a laugh..

This is ridiculous.. The worse he gets, the more RTE seem to reward him.. My god, is there no REAL Irish person that we can have to meet dignitaries other than this carboard cutout.. Even give the job to Marty Whelan, he's a bit of a laugh..
    Yesterdays herald took the tone that he was a blathering idiot in front of the queen in the storehouse..

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Thought people might be interested in this, think it explains alot. Ryan was stitched up by Louis Walsh, Paul Martin and Keating on the LLS. I said this at the time on the "Should Ryan Tubridy be axed" thread started by JimmyNokia however i was derided as usual.
    http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/tubridy-spreads-keating-shambles-blame-2648099.html

ghiertal wrote: »
    Thought people might be interested in this, think it explains alot. Ryan was stitched up by Louis Walsh, Paul Martin and Keating on the LLS. I said this at the time on the "Should Ryan Tubridy be axed" thread started by JimmyNokia however i was derided as usual.
    http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/tubridy-spreads-keating-shambles-blame-2648099.html

Mystery forces me hole...he should name and shame....

how do you think the stich up happened?

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/andrew-lynch-international-coverage-was-like-the-oscars-every-day-2653099.html
    and short of sinking that pint of Guinness, there's not much more she could have done to endear herself to the locals. (One question does need to be answered, though -- why did she and Ryan Tubridy so spectacularly fail to hit it off?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

easychair wrote: »

the answer to your question is the same reason why i read your utterly predictable posting and why i am now replying to it...

people like to give their opinions amazingly enough...lololol

just as you have done above there...see...see ..see my point..

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

ghiertal wrote: »

I'm not sure this lets him off the hook though Ghiertal.. Firstly, because he doesnt name the people who supposedly deprived him of carrying out a probing interview.. And secondly, even if he was told not to ask certain questions, he should have been true to himself and said "look, I'm the interviewer, if Keating is coming on the show, I will ask him whatever questions I see fit". His "mysterious forces" argument also contradicts his initial excuse that he himself (outside of the influence of others) did not think it was morally right to ask Keating about his marriage.. Remember "Do you want me to grill him"...

There was an easy "out" for Tubridy on this... If he held his hands up and said:"I misread the mood.. I thought people would not want me to ask intrusive questions about Ronan's marriage.. but judging by the texts/emails I have received, it is apparent to me that I should have asked Ronan questions about the recent media stories regarding his marriage.. So I would like to extend a invitation to both Ronan and Yvonne, to come the show any Friday of their choosing, and I will ask them about their recent marital difficulties..."

Irish people really appreciate when somebody admits that they got something wrong, and it would really stick it to up Keating.. who was a sneaky little b*st*rd for going on radio and saying "it was all agreed beforehand" which effectively hung Tubridy..

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

Do you think he will get the chance to mention Twitter & JFK?? lol

• Advertisement

Caledonman wrote: »
    Do you think he will get the chance to mention Twitter & JFK?? lol

Ah now he could not ask obama that LOL i would be really surprised if he did LOL

Advertisement