Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Poly wrote: »
    This Gareth stuff is a joke right?

It's gotta be a joke surely ??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

"It's gotta be a joke surely ??? "
    Can you imagine if it were true :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

ghiertal wrote: »
    If you look back over my previous posts you will find how accurate many of predictions have been. I was mocked for my support for Ryan (not that i mind), but now i feel that he is doing so much work for irish business that it is worthwhile. Now this evening we see that his work with Amy was very useful, but somehow i doubt that he will be thanked for it.
    "Amy will be wearing Irish designers - from top to toe," said her rep Joanne Byrne.
    The actress who is sticking to the customary hat is wearing a creation by Irish milliner Sarah Mc Gohan from Bray, Co. Wicklow.
    The design is a black lace beret with two oversized black poppies and crystal details.
    Her all-important dress is from Louise Kennedy's autumn/winter 2011 collection and is described as pink bubblegum with lace, a boat-neck, A-line skirt and lace scallop finish.
    She will cover-up with a cream wrap also from Louise Kennedy and finish off the outfit with black patent shoes from Irish shoe designer Nina Divito.

Another prediction i will make is that Gar will be a huge success on Radio 1 this summer and could possibly take over from Ryan if we lose him. I know that i will be mocked for this but i don't care.

I think ghiertal thinks he is tubridys personal life predictor now too :)
    SO since your last few predictions as you say have been correct will he move to the BBC?
    Will he move to galway?
    Whats his second book looking like?

just a few questions dont want to overload your predictability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Bubblegums

Just a quick Q here...

Am I the only one not really reading the long posts lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I am now certain ghiertal is a wind up merchant. Had my suspicions already...what else would set off some of the regular posters here more than the idea of 'gar' stepping into the chair. Hilarious.

Nice work ghiertal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Might tune in today to hear how he polishes this turd:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0506/1224296281617.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Referred to the JNLR reports in the papers.

He admitted it wanst a great day for them but pledged to "keep doing what they're doing"

Emmm, just throwing it out there but....maybe thats the problem?

giftgrub wrote: »
    Referred to the JNLR reports in the papers.

He admitted it wanst a great day for them but pledged to "keep doing what they're doing"
    Yeah I heard that daft statement. Poor auld Tubs just doesn't get it. No wonder people are migrating to Newstalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Have to admit, at this stage I've stopped listening to him completely.. Even the "tune in to laugh at him" factor has worn off..

Have to admit, at this stage I've stopped listening to him completely.. Even the "tune in to laugh at him" factor has worn off..
    I still tune in for the papers but not as much, at this stage I dont really care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it's weird. I grew tired of him due to the fact the media had got wind that he was actually brutal and started laying in the boot...he all of a sudden became too easy a target...

So now that it's in the open that he is coming up short in the entertainment stakes...is it time to cut his salary??

So what, if he buggers off to a rival station....

How long will it survive at this stage without a shuffle of some sort, 6 months? 12 months?

I wonder what the BBC see in him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Listened back to first hour of show this morning and I would compare it to a heavily sedated, un-funny ventriloquist mid schizophrenic episode as he desperately tried to win back an indifferent audience by inhaling a large balloon of helium and voicing his dummy impersonating a rubber chicken passing an oversized fake plastic dog turd.

lempsipmax wrote: »
    Listened back to first hour of show this morning and I would compare it to a heavily sedated, un-funny ventriloquist mid schizophrenic episode as he desperately tried to win back an indifferent audience by inhaling a large balloon of helium and voicing his dummy impersonating a rubber chicken passing an oversized fake plastic dog turd.

I heard a bit too, I didn't think it was as good as that.

Well im waiting to see what the tubridy lovers have to say
    the figures speak volumes.

I think dave fanning should replace tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Well im waiting to see what the tubridy lovers have to say
    the figures speak volumes.

I think dave fanning should replace tubridy.

RTE wanted D'arcy to replace G.Ryan first don't forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

Apologies for going off topic. Just a quick question - Did anyone catch the name of the book mentioned by Tubridy and Tom Doorley today. It was something to do with food from the 60s and 70s. Angel delight, TK lemonade etc
    I've tried googling and emailing 2fm but no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Thats the one alright, thanks a million Plowman !

• Advertisement

tubs was in the sun today and admits he needs to brush up his act
    the thing is he should of known that from the last results of the JNLR
    stop talking about books,obama,jfk and twitter and other peoples illness on a constant basis and you just might do it,its already fallen on deaf ears once will it go on till the next results?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

jimmynokia wrote: »
    tubs was in the sun today and admits he needs to brush up his act
    the thing is he should of known that from the last results of the JNLR
    stop talking about books,obama,jfk and twitter and other peoples illness on a constant basis and you just might do it,its already fallen on deaf ears once will it go on till the next results?
    So you're a Sun reader? It all makes sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Aidric wrote: »

Cop on, Aidric. Jimmy's made quite a few pertinent points about Tubridy in recent months. No need to get all sniffy about his reading material. In any case, isn't Tubs getting paid shedloads of money precisely because he has such broad appeal? I'm pretty sure Gerry Ryan numbered a good brace of Sun readers in his audience...

if that story was in the Irish times would you still make the same stupid remark grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jimmy's made quite a few pertinent points about Tubridy in recent months.
    By pertinent points do you mean the same point repeated over and over again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭prunudo

Was listening to 2fm last night and there was a promo for his show this coming Tuesday. He was full of his cringeworthy, stupid voices and nerdy accents. Either it was made before the jnlr were released or he has learnt nothing.

Just take it on the chin like a man and stop looking for excuses tubs is a failure get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

That's funny... that's been the most common complaint about Tubridy's performance. Hmm...

Dyin to see what ghiertal has to say.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Why are so many people such as JimmyNokia et al. plus journalists anxious to have a pop at Ryan's radio show? Most probably because he is hosting the LLS and is as such seen as culpable for the decline in the quality of the Irish chat show. Ryan can only work with the guests he is given and the researchers on the LLS are not doing it for him or the audience.I wonder next week will we see a member of Boyzone/Westlife or someone connected with Louis Walsh, it's just getting plain lazy at this stage. I believe that this is feeding in the poor figures on 2fm, as people think he is boring and maybe it is leaving a sour taste in some mouths. John Boland had an interesting and prescient article prior to the beginning of Ryan's tenure.

http://www.johnboland.ie/2011/01/28/ryan-tubridy/

Boland also commented on Ryan's "Bucket and Spade Tour" farewell jaunt from Radio 1. Boland said "There’s no doubt that Tubridy’s determinedly upbeat persona will fit snugly into 2FM’s ethos." If it doesn't work out then there's no-one to blame, sometimes it just doesn't happen for us, no matter how talented or well-liked we are.

I feel that the stars are beginning to align against him especially when i read Gay's shocking comment at Gerry's anniversary mass and then Pat Kenny's snide remarks after the JNLRs.

Gay said he was not particularly close to Gerry because their broadcasting careers did not overlap for long. But he said he never saw him under the influence of drink or drugs. "Joe Duffy and Ryan Tubridy would have been far closer to him," he said. "They would have seen him every day. But I enjoyed his company. He was great fun and larger than life." Then he was pictured smiling and joking with Duffy, it was if he was trying to isolate and humiliate Ryan. Was Ryan to blame for Gerry's death, as Gay was seeming to say. Gay is supposed to be Ryan's mentor so to say something like this was absolutely unbelievable.

Kenny's disingenuous remarks should be ignored. PK "Gerry's shoes were never going to be filled easily. I think I said to Ryan, or if I didn't I should, when the accolades were being heaped on him after 'The Late Late Show just wait. A constant stream of compliments and good news never lasts. The press needs a dynamic; the hero becomes a villain and the villain becomes a hero.". To pretend to offer Ryan advice and then, oh, maybe i forgot to do so. Pat, Ryan is struggling now, don't stick the knife in.

I wonder how Gerry would feel about the behaviour of these two? Disappointed? Is there some anger amongst the old farts in RTE about Ryan's move to the BBC? Definitely a campaign has been mounted in order to discredit him, with Gay and Pat at the vanguard of it.

Advertisement