Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New beta android app (game)

• 18-03-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've just released a beta version of my new android app Outbreak! The Zombie Apocalypse. I'd really appreciate if people could check out (If you're interested of course) and give me some feedback. This is only a beta version so I do anticpate some problems, but I need to get some real world testing done.
    The idea of the game is that there are zombies and clean users. Zombies can infect clean users, and clean users have to try and survive. Once you are infected you can then spread the infection. Users are displayed in a map view as either clean or infected, and the game is location based, so real world locations are used. So your location affects how you play the game and spread the infection.

Cheers,

Kev

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Looks good blacknight.
    I got an crash when selecting the map though. Have sent a report to google/you.

Do you mind me asking how long it took to develop? I've been dabbling with writing android apps for a while but haven't put one up on the market. I just need an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭theblacknight

Hey,

I've been working on this for a couple of months now, and it is my second app. I actually work full time, so it would have been a lot quicker if I was able to work on the app full time. Thanks for sending the crash report, can I ask what phone you are using?

For your own apps I would recommend playing around with the SDK, I found ideas started to come once I actually started doing some dev and got to know the environment.

Thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

won't launch on HTC Desire. Screen goes black then goes back to home screen.

Hey, thanks for the download, what version of android are you running? I have only been able to test this on a Galaxy S and Galaxy Europa, suprised it didn't work on the Desire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm rocking a HTC Desire with the latest Gingerbread version (Cyanogenmod).

• Advertisement

Ok thanks, will check this out on gingerbread with emulator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Just installed it on mine and get the same error él statutorio is getting.

Using a HTC Incredible S, version 2.2.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

not getting past the (very cool) thumb scan part on my desire - running gingerbread

Thanks for all of the feedback, looking into these issues now, hope to post an update soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Looks good, and no problems installing on my Galaxy S.

I must say the intro is v. good and really does have that wow factor.

You might want to consider putting a link to the website in the game.
    As someone who installed for the test, I had to go back to the market to see the link "how to play", because there's nothing in game!

• Advertisement

Thanks tagoona, if you press the menu button when on the main screen there is a link to the help page, I will put in a more explicit note about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

Crashes straight away after I load it. Running 2.1 on a ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Hey, thanks for the download, what version of android are you running? I have only been able to test this on a Galaxy S and Galaxy Europa, suprised it didn't work on the Desire.

froyo 2.2
    build 2.29.405

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

UI looks fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Haha, love the homepage of the website.
    Straight to the point!

On a related note, I'm getting the same crash when I select the map, so I sent a stack trace..

Got the same FC just before the fingerprint came up. Can lend you the nexus s on Monday if you don't crack it by then!

Thanks again for all the feedback. I have sorted some of the problems that people were seeing (on an emulator at least) and uploaded the latest apk. I will continue to work away at sorting this out for all devices.

I can't find any problems since the update, good work!

It's such a good idea.. have you many plans to try and increase people using it?
    Either a thread on here or a forum on the domain you have to generate a community around it and if there's a way to have a points system with a leaderboard to keep people playing it.. I don't know, just some suggestions to try help..
    I don't want that to come across negative, because there's a lot of hard work in the game already, I don't want that to go unnoticed!

Hope it helps anyway :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Working grand for me on dhd cm7. Some nuggett chap a few minutes away from me infected. Poor chap.

C-Shore wrote: »
    I can't find any problems since the update, good work!

It's such a good idea.. have you many plans to try and increase people using it?
    Either a thread on here or a forum on the domain you have to generate a community around it and if there's a way to have a points system with a leaderboard to keep people playing it.. I don't know, just some suggestions to try help..
    I don't want that to come across negative, because there's a lot of hard work in the game already, I don't want that to go unnoticed!

Hope it helps anyway :o

Thanks c-shore, that is one of the reasons for the beta version, I have a lot more that I want to do with this, but I wanted to get an idea of what people thought of it and how it performed in the 'real world'. I will continue to monitor this for a few weeks, hopefully see some good numbers etc..
    There will be a points system, and also more statistics (leaderboards etc..)

• Advertisement

Still getting the FC since the update, but much less frequently. Sent you on a fresh report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Four

Downloaded it, no problems with it at all on the samsung i5500. Looks really good!! I can see it getting pretty fun once more people start using it, there's no one around me at the minute :(. The leaderboard idea is good, something like 'Most people infected' and 'Longest time clean' was what i think the leaderboard should be.

There's a fellow survivor about a 5k drive from me. If I was infected I could combine a trip to the off-licence with some BRAINS :D

Four wrote: »
    Downloaded it, no problems with it at all on the samsung i5500. Looks really good!! I can see it getting pretty fun once more people start using it, there's no one around me at the minute :(. The leaderboard idea is good, something like 'Most people infected' and 'Longest time clean' was what i think the leaderboard should be.

Thanks, leaderboard with that sort of info is coming, when I get a proper site up, pretty basic right now :pac:

Thanks c-shore, that is one of the reasons for the beta version, I have a lot more that I want to do with this, but I wanted to get an idea of what people thought of it and how it performed in the 'real world'. I will continue to monitor this for a few weeks, hopefully see some good numbers etc..
    There will be a points system, and also more statistics (leaderboards etc..)

Yeah I figured you would have had all that in mind anyway..

I'm glad to give feedback and help, it's really good so I'd be delighted to see it work out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭heepie

Working great in my Samsung Spica GT-i5700...

Love the idea of the game. Hopefully once we get more people joining in. I started the game infected but I have no one around me at the moment to infect. I'll have a look tomorrow while in town...

Posted a new update, tested on low memory emulator, as most of the force close problems were caused by out of memory errors, looks like samsung give their apps a lot of memory to play with, which is why I didn't see this in my teting :D will be testing all future versions with 16mb heaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nice simple idea. A few crashes on my HTC Desire, when re-scanning, or browsing map in the US. Oxygen-2.0-RC7.

Nice simple idea. A few crashes on my HTC Desire, when re-scanning, or browsing map in the US. Oxygen-2.0-RC7.

Thanks, trying to reproduce these issues, sending crash reports will help.

• Advertisement

4 of us grand in Waterford and one infected. If I was him I be going around infecting us all for the laugh

There's one infected guy near me and I think he's after me, he's where I was about an hour ago. Now he's 100 metres away from my area!

There's one infected guy near me and I think he's after me, he's where I was about an hour ago. Now he's 100 metres away from my area!

:D Good to see people playing the game

Some dude infected me! They must have done a bit of traveling I reckon.

Everyone in the target range on the Luas into work is going down...

Did you get infected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Tell all your friends :D

Every time I log in there's more and more people showing up closer to me, so it's definitely getting more people, especially outside ireland..

Am I right in thinking that it only shows the 50 people closest to me? Or should it show every person playing?

Every time I log in there's more and more people showing up closer to me, so it's definitely getting more people, especially outside ireland..

The infection tab is showing 438 total now. Like a real zompocalypse the rate of infection will be exponential and there is no real hope.

baz8080 wrote: »
    The infection tab is showing 438 total now. Like a real zompocalypse the rate of infection will be exponential and there is no real hope.

Hahaha, it's grand.. I eat a lot of tinned food anyway

Hahaha, it's grand.. I eat a lot of tinned food anyway

I'm infected so I eat a lot of people who eat tinned food :)

• Advertisement

baz8080 wrote: »
    I'm infected so I eat a lot of people who eat tinned food :)

Well then!

If playing Left 4 dead has taught me anything it's that I should put my phone on silent!

Yes the app shows the 50 closest to you (note: I have updated the help page with better info - hit menu on the main screen). To see users in other countries/different locations hold your finger down on that position on the map and it will show the 50 closest to that point.

I am still working to address the force close issues. They all seem to be memory issues which I didn't see on the Galaxy S & Europa. Also I have it running in an emulator with the memory heap set to 12mb which I think is the lowest you will see on an android phone, will need to look at the build you are using though, haven't heard of it.

PS the more error reports the better :pac:

The chap up in cavan is on his lonesome. Someone hop on a bus and infect him

New build uploaded to market, which should sort out the force close problems you were seeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Brilliant idea, best of luck with it. I posted about it in the zombie survival forum, I thought they would have been on top of it already, they're slacking off by the looks of things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Cianos wrote: »
    Brilliant idea, best of luck with it. I posted about it in the zombie survival forum, I thought they would have been on top of it already, they're slacking off by the looks of things!

Good stuff, success depends on more people playing the game. I've got a link in my sig to it if anyone else wants to donate their sig to it as well for a while to spread the infec...., eh, word.

seanybiker wrote: »
    Did you get infected?

Yeah... But it was from a new player who started infected.

Yeah... But it was from a new player who started infected.

The bollox lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement