Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaders Debate part 2 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

martyc1976 wrote: »
    what country do you live in? the last time i looked at the map we are on an island...1 island

but not one country so what are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

In fairness though, you have to ask. How come it takes a general election where the parties power is at stake before they come up with these policies about what they are going to do about anything? They have had fourteen years to do something and they didn't, so if you ask me it is a bit rich that they are now coming up with policies about xyz and reforms blah blah....

They can go and fuck themselves, if you ask me. They are the masterminds of our demise and deserve the pounding they are going to get.

I understand what you are saying.

However I will give you an example. MM asked Gerry Adams where he would get the "7 billion euro from as there is only 4.9 in the pension reserve fund". Now, in imo, Gerry doesn't know himself. So instead of admitting this (or making something up) his first response was to moan about how MM had been in government for 14 years etc to avoid answering.

He is right that they have and messed up big time, but he still is using it as an excuse not to answer a tough question which is the point I'm making.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Koyasan wrote: »
    I was very surprised with how well Gormley did there. It sounds like they have some good ideas, and it sounds like he's perfectly happy not be re-elected so long as the policies he's advocating get implemented.

Thats the green's strength. Sadly they totally misjudged the importance of getting their policies in vis a vis the worst crisis in the history if the state.
    they should have got as much in as they could in the first 6 months and then bailed.

zig wrote: »
    Frustrating watching behaviour towards Adams and SF in general, quite often childish, it feels like they are just pissing in the wind, no matter what they say they are just going to be laughed at/ganged up on/ignored. Yes there are flaws with their deficit plan but they speak alot of sense alot of the time and its completely ignored ALL of the time.

they REALLY don't

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Apres Match again....

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dont want a leader who can talk from the heart (read: emotive popularism). I didnt hear squat from him about the specifics of what they would do.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Koyasan

PeakOutput wrote: »
    im dumbfounded anyone thinks anything gormley says is possible not to mind reasonable
    :confused: Good or bad?
    Did you mean to say "impossible" or "or even reasonable"?

I found myself thinking, that's good idea, that's another good idea, but then wondering is he smiling smugly? I know, I should ignore that kind of thing, but still. He seemed to be having a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Shame about Gormley's status in the Green Party, he would be an effective leader in a party with considerable more power I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Think Adams was surprised winner.

Kenny did ver very well , had such low expectations but even so he blew martin away.

Big story is how bad martin was and how hard FF will spin that he wasn't !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

wyndhurst wrote: »
    So..."knowing what he has done" (jean mcconville, McCabe, etc, etc, etc) you still think he is a lovely honest fellow speaking from the heart.

never said that mate! i said he genuinely cares and well some of the fcuked up stuff they done backs that up to a point to, the others are just going to fall in line with what the eu tells them, it might be time to rustle some feathers and be the ireland we can be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

zig wrote: »
    Frustrating watching behaviour towards Adams and SF in general, quite often childish, it feels like they are just pissing in the wind, no matter what they say they are just going to be laughed at/ganged up on/ignored. Yes there are flaws with their deficit plan but they speak alot of sense alot of the time and its completely ignored ALL of the time.

The problem with SF is that they dont explain how they are going to fund their economic strategy . .

They do speak moral sense and their policies are the most fair sounding ones, but they are not prudent or based on sound economic principles.

I would vote for them if I thought they werent throwing a hail Mary with regards to how they will fund our country after the pension reserve fund runs out . .

I used to worry about Labours populist economic policies but posts like this concern me that people are being duped by SFs even more extreme populist promises !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Gillmore failed again. Kenny time and time again proves he is not a speaker. Martin was ok, held his own. Adams was a bit unrealistic but managed to make a good few points.

The likely Labour-Fine Gael Government is appalling.

1. Gormley
    2. Martin
    3. Adams
    4. Kenny
    5. Gillmore

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Gormley
    Adams
    Martin
    Gilmore
    Kenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Funny_Bones

DanDan6592 wrote: »

However I will give you an example. MM asked Gerry Adams where he would get the "7 billion euro from as there is only 4.9 in the pension reserve fund". Now, in imo, Gerry doesn't know himself. So instead of admitting this (or making something up) his first response was to moan about how MM had been in government for 14 years etc to avoid answering.

He is right that they have and messed up big time, but he still is using it as an excuse not to answer a tough question which is the point I'm making.

This is exactly the problem with all the leaders at the moment, greats ideas but sure we just don't have the money. Not only is Gerry inventing extra money to spend for a year/year and a half, he then has no plan after that..

PeakOutput wrote: »
    im dumbfounded anyone thinks anything gormley says is possible, nevermind reasonable

that make it clearer?

he is talking crap is what im trying to say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

DeVore wrote: »
    I dont want a leader who can talk from the heart (read: emotive popularism). I didnt hear squat from him about the specifics of what they would do.

DeV.

true but the others are woeful bar maybe Gormley, Kenny - no chance, i played with guys like him at the poker table, his bluffing big time!

Le King wrote: »
    Gillmore failed again. Kenny time and time again proves he is not a speaker. Martin was ok, held his own. Adams was a bit unrealistic but managed to make a good few points.

The likely Labour-Fine Gael Government is appalling.

1. Gormley
    2. Martin
    3. Adams
    4. Kenny
    5. Gormley

Gormley came first and last . Are you schizophrenic ?

Only one of you need reply . .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭wyndhurst

Sacred_git wrote: »
    never said that mate! i said he genuinely cares and well some of the fcuked up stuff they done backs that up to a point to, the others are just going to fall in line with what the eu tells them, it might be time to rustle some feathers and be the ireland we can be!

Without being overly argumentative - it is exactly what you wrote.
    But, I take your point on the need to rustle some feathers (& a few kicks in the asre along with it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

The format meant there was never going be any outright winner or loser, the time limit for answers was too short. A quick hackneyed soundbite or redirecting the question by attacking another party was enough to get anyone out of trouble. The least impressive performer tonight was Micheal Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

Sick of the media pushing Enda Kenny.
    I mean, on the RTE debate show on network 2 right now, the first thing they talked about was does Enda Kenny look like taoiseach material... I mean come on! Thats hardly impartial!

Its not just RTE, its most of the media publications in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I thought Gerry did well, Martin came across as bitter imo.

I think Gormley won imo, followed by Adams.

Gilmore looked very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

United Ireland, do you not think he'll push it if elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

InReality wrote: »
    Think Adams was surprised winner

No. Just no. I don't think he came out on top. Did you see his first 10 minutes? He was laid into, he didn't stand up to questioning. Not a winner.
    Big story is how bad martin was and how hard FF will spin that he wasn't !

I thought it'd be worse for Martin considering the others had stocks of ammo to riddle him for the night. He came across as a good speaker although you can't have much faith in him due to the fact that him implementing his policies is slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

DanDan6592 wrote: »

In fairness though, its a fair statement to make. Micheal Martin has been making cheap shots all night at the other parties, in particular with Gerry and Enda, so if he wants to play that game then its only fair that he should get the same back at them.

And seriously, its like they found their manifesto for the last 14 years down the back of the couch before the election campaign. I would ask the same questions too. Where was he for the last number of years trying to make at least one of the changes that he was proposing tonight? Why does it take an election to force them to get their fingers out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

RTÉ give it to Kenny?

He was second to JG but RTE seem to have discounted him....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

The trick is not to analyse it in the sense of your own narrow prejudices but in how it will play out with the electorate.

Adams points will have resonated with people to some extent, Enda did very well for somebody expected to do rubbish, Gormley made some good points but didn't inspire anyone, Gormley started out well but failed badly on the whole and Martin has no credibility.

Interestingly the first analyst on Vincent Browne agrees with the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

This is exactly the problem with all the leaders at the moment, greats ideas but sure we just don't have the money. Not only is Gerry inventing extra money to spend for a year/year and a half, he then has no plan after that..

Ye I agree but it annoys me the way they dodge the question, and they all do it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

United Ireland, do you not think he'll push it if elected.
    Right now thats the least of our issues! :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Drumpot wrote: »
    Gormley came first and last . Are you schizophrenic ?

Only one of you need reply . .:D

Sorry Gillmore last. lol

• Advertisement

WTF .. Did RTE panelists watch that debate ?

Enda did it ?

What a crock of Sh&t . .

If that lame ass performance is enough to convince the Irish People he is "the right stuff" then we have really lowered the bar to ridiculous levels of mediocrity . .

Advertisement