Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaders Debate part 2 :)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

DeVore wrote: »
    I dont want a leader who can talk from the heart (read: emotive popularism). I didnt hear squat from him about the specifics of what they would do.

DeV.
    Dev, you wouldnt vote for Gerry Adams no matter what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

i think gormely done pretty well but isint he still in the government with the fianna failers.he is well able to talk but his ideas and plans are crude.we wont be able to drive a commercial van soon unless we own a company.adams really cut martins neck and fair play to gerry.martin was a different boy tonite.i thaught it was bad of martin to bring up the past of northern ireland to gerry.is that all he can hit him with.we have moved on mr martin from that.its polotics now u know.i can honestly see how sinn fein have done well in the north now when they had gerry as a leader.was very impressed with him.enda done very well too.didnt buckle like people taught.well able to answer his questions that were thrown at him.he mite not be the best speaker but when he does he speaks cleverly.hes a smart guy.poor eammon blows his head off like a steam train and gets no where

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Drumpot wrote: »
    WTF .. Did RTE panelists watch that debate ?

Enda did it ?

What a crock of Sh&t . .

If that lame ass performance is enough to convince the Irish People he is "the right stuff" then we have really lowered the bar to ridiculous levels of mediocrity . .

By saying he did it I think they mean he did what he needed to do, didnt come down with a serious case of foot and mouth.
    THought Pat let him away with keeping his head down too much

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Enda did it ?

What a crock of Sh&t . .

If that lame ass performance is enough to convince the Irish People he is "the right stuff" then we have really lowered the bar to ridiculous levels of mediocrity . .
    I think you will find most people will agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 martyc1976

SF are going to pick up alot of votes from disgruntled FF voters....& a large youth poll will push them higher again... Fianna Fail governed over the death of the 1st republic...will never vote them again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

northern bank robbery is only six years ago, not ancient history and not a low blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 gj777

Sick of the media pushing Enda Kenny.
    I mean, on the RTE debate show on network 2 right now, the first thing they talked about was does Enda Kenny look like taoiseach material... I mean come on! Thats hardly impartial!

Its not just RTE, its most of the media publications in the country.

Here here, I was not overly impressed by him and the attention he is getting makes me wonder why, does FG have some golden friendships already?

Gilmore was the the overall winner imo. Managed to put some decent policies forward pull some decent punchess without being too 'panto' about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm biased, but I think Gerry did well tonight.

I thought Gormley did well too to be honest. Bit of a darkhorse!

Kenny looked really flustered, and Martin looked like he was about to pop a blood vessel at the best of times.

Gilmore did ok - Neither great nor bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

1. Kenny
    2. Martin

3. Gormley

4. Gilmore

5. Adams

Felt Kenny was assured and did a lot better than most would have expected. Anyone impartial watching it would agree. Martin was ok. Gormley was awful as the start but really impressed after the break. Gilmore has been shown up again and the rant at Kenny over the 5 Billion when he wouldn't give Kenny a chance to reply was awful to watch.
    Adams is just a joke and resorts to the same couple of lines and clearly is painfully out of his depth. His policy of getting money from the fairies in the sky sounds good though:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

In fairness though, its a fair statement to make. Micheal Martin has been making cheap shots all night at the other parties, in particular with Gerry and Enda, so if he wants to play that game then its only fair that he should get the same back at them.

And seriously, its like they found their manifesto for the last 14 years down the back of the couch before the election campaign. I would ask the same questions too. Where was he for the last number of years trying to make at least one of the changes that he was proposing tonight? Why does it take an election to force them to get their fingers out?

But it's done in order to dodge a question, resulting in us not hearing how a particular policy may work. Answer the question first, then say what u want about Fianna Faill and Micheal Martin. It's fine and fair then.

I'm not sticking up for FF or MM, I just want the questions posed to be answered without cheap political point scoring getting in the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Enda did it ?

What a crock of Sh&t . .

lower the expectations enough and people will be impressed with your performance, thats all it is.

he did well but not outstanding but because it was a 5 person debate and not a 3 he was able to get in and then out when he wanted to there would be a hell of a lot more pressure on him in a 3 way debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Funny_Bones

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Ye I agree but it annoys me the way they dodge the question, and they all do it.

Absolutely, all the time.. The sad reality is that Fianna Fail and Fine Gael are the only two parties with plausible policies at the moment. Policies that should help things eventually. Nothing is going to change very quickly. I would be weary of Fine Gael cutting 30,000 workers from the public sector, another unanswered question. It doesn't really fit in with their 'Let's get Ireland working again'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think you will find most people will agree with them.

Which is just downright sad . .

He was at best ok , at worst incapable of answering most of the questions asked and panicky when it looked like Gilmore was going to force him to answer what rate Labour had been comitted to (when Kenny had comitted to commenting on their rate).

Kenny was not a disaster, thats why people think he was "good" . . Lower the bar enough and we are all eventuall good . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Tucker Max

John McGuirk blasting it on VB.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Dev, you wouldnt vote for Gerry Adams no matter what he said.

I dont know if thats true. Probably not. However I am certainly not going to fall for emotive popularism dressed up as policy.

Mind you, good of you to make it about me instead of what I am saying.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

It seems to be universally agreed then that Michael Martin is just a new face heading the same pile of crooks and spoofers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 martyc1976

It seems to be universally agreed then that Michael Martin is just a new face heading the same pile of crooks and spoofers?
    truer words have never been spoken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭The Black Pearl

RTE 2 is funny, the SF guy is better than Gerry :D

Seriously he is....

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭randomhuman

Koyasan wrote: »
    I was very surprised with how well Gormley did there. It sounds like they have some good ideas, and it sounds like he's perfectly happy not be re-elected so long as the policies he's advocating get implemented.

I thought he came across as very level-headed alright. They may have gained a preference from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Paddy1965

We have all lost in my eyes , no leaders on view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Tucker Max

Paddy1965 wrote: »
    We have all lost in my eyes , no leaders on view.

Agree

I'm going to give my number 1 to an independendant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

hopefully as time goes on , more people will see the light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

RTE just called the Greens irrelevant that's why they're ignoring them!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What is obvious is that politics in this country is subjective . .

I support no party and think that Gormley was the most credible speaker tonite .

Martin showed a bit about him by being able to aggresively engage with Adams.

Kenny played the safe card by staying away from actual debate and keeping to what he was prepped pre debate

Adams is always good at debating but his policies lacked credibility.

Gilmore seems to be shrinking the closer we get to the election . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

GSF wrote: »
    Listening to Adams talking economics allowed me to form a judgement that he hasnt a clue.

You mean some of them do have a clue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I said he hasnt a clue about Irish Politics, theres a differance. He is a good Northern Politician. How does that make him a good southern Politician ?

His knowledge on Irish politics is obviously weak. It wasnt that he didnt have time to answer, he didnt have any credible answers ! ! ! He stumbled several times through his answers . .

Ah because the politics we have had down here has worked out so well?
    He is driven motivated and he is strong.
    The only draw back for some people is the pension fund.Time to email and ask for the answers people are worried about.

He did not have time to answer a complex question and detailed,shouldnt take any td 60 seconds to answer.If they can answer it as the others did means they are waffling as not complexed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Paddy1965

Tucker Max wrote: »
    Agree

I'm going to give my number 1 to an independendant

Hope you have some good ones in your area I haven't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

He was at best ok , at worst incapable of answering most of the questions asked and panicky when it looked like Gilmore was going to force him to answer what rate Labour had been comitted to (when Kenny had comitted to commenting on their rate).

Kenny was not a disaster, thats why people think he was "good" . . Lower the bar enough and we are all eventuall good . .

He answered every question he was asked and didn't spoof around. He never got a chance to respond to Gilmores question as Gilmore wouldnt shut up to give him an opportunity to respond.
    Thats the problem here, people have the preconceived idea about Kenny, and no matter what he did tonight, that wouldnt change peoples opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭jacool

The last government lowered that bar so far that now most people will look, and compared to what they delivered, Enda looked good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Koyasan

Are they looking forward to a three way?

Em.... has anyone heard SF or the Greens people being allowed to speak yet?

Advertisement