Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaders Debate part 2 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Stimulating, no. Nauseating, yes.

Well guys, who do ye think the Oscar should go to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Gormley by a mile

Then Enda because he stuck rigidly with his script.

After that there s fudge, Eamonn certainly not going to be Taoiseach!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lizanneclaire

FF's proposal to select Ministers from outside the Dail brings the frightening prospect of a continuation of croneyism and jobs for the boys which has got us where we are today. Imagine Seanie Fitz as Minister for Finance or one of the Galway tent set in charge of the Environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

reckon too many voices to make it a proper debate where issues were discussed with any detail. For my money Gormley came out best followed by either Martin who put himself out tthere not always doing great or enda who tried to stay quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Yes he was and we all know that. So there is no need to be brought up everytime a question is asked

The others use it as a cop-out so as not to answer the question posed.

In fairness though, you have to ask. How come it takes a general election where the parties power is at stake before they come up with these policies about what they are going to do about anything? They have had fourteen years to do something and they didn't, so if you ask me it is a bit rich that they are now coming up with policies about xyz and reforms blah blah....

They can go and fuck themselves, if you ask me. They are the masterminds of our demise and deserve the pounding they are going to get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Drumpot wrote: »
    Just because you are honest doesnt make your comments ludicrous. I have no problem with SF. My problem is with them having a leader who has little clue of politics in this country and who is taking through his preverbials when his economic strategy is questioned . .

Hasnt got a clue in politics yet he is commended by British politicians all the time,and won votes of loyalists. :confused:
    He as far as i can see they did not give him the time to answer.
    It should be an hour long of each leader alone answering questions from economic experts etc.. and live coverage on that with the facts and figures.Damn RTE.
    I want one on one stuff :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

All said and done, sinners are sinners but Gerry Adams is the only one talking from the heart there and telling the truth, the other 4 come across as chancers, Enda is NOT a leader, trying to play us. Adams is a leader, we all know what his done but he is a leader and comes across as the only genuine person who cares about the country. Puts us all to shame really, we turned into greedy bunch of gits! Gerry Adams won that debate!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭wyndhurst

Don't know how many picked it up but IMO the best quote of the night was from the Baron when he said that all evictions should be banned. No evictions whatsoever.
    So vote SF, stop paying your mortgage and keep your house. Priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Gerry Adams asking what kind of state "we" want?

Is he moving to this country or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't know who won but I think the losers are all of us if they're the best we've got.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

Not a fan of fine gael - but they could walk this election with a different leader

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

efb wrote: »
    Is Pat Kenny handing it to JG!

Enda would Greens 1 seat (maybe 2 after tonight) help?

Enda is an awful orator,but Terry has worked wonders!

Who's Terry?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Winner tonight had to be Gormley .. Best debater by a mile . .

Gormley had a poor start but came along quickly. Enjoyed his thoughts.
    efb wrote: »
    Gormley by a mild.

Enda because he stuck rigidly with his script.

After that there s fudge, Eamonn certainly not going to be Taoiseach!

Don't want Gilmore as Taoiseach. There's little appeal with him. Would rather Kenny to lead the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

RTE 2 Now !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jennyrose

goat2 wrote: »
    these questions were pre arranged, they were given an idea of the questions coming at them, it is kind of stage managed in my mind, they should not have pre arranged questions

Yes, you would wonder what it would be like if they had to answer off their own bat. Because it's all about quick thinking now..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I would give best actor to Kenny for sticking on talking point. Best supporting actor to Gormley for a huge performance at the end that nobody saw coming. Then Gilmore martin and adams at a tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

gormley and martin definitely came off well

kenny did well but he needs a personality and to begin thinking for himself on the spur of the moment nothing he says is ever off the cuff its all pre decided and even when an easy retort is put in front of him he resorts to canned responses

im dumbfounded anyone thinks anything gormley says is possible not to mind reasonable

i fear sinn fein might have grabbed a few votes, if you speak well enough it dosnt matter what you are saying people will latch onto and he is a good speaker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭The Black Pearl

How can anyone with even the slightest notion of reality think Adams won that debate?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

caseyann wrote: »
    Hasnt got a clue in politics yet he is commended by British politicians all the time,and won votes of loyalists. :confused:
    He as far as i can see they did not give him the time to answer.
    It shoudl be an hour long of each leader alone answering questions from economic experts etc.. and live coverage on that with the facts and figures.Damn RTE.
    I want one on one stuff :mad:

I said he hasnt a clue about Irish Politics, theres a differance. He is a good Northern Politician. How does that make him a good southern Politician ?

His knowledge on Irish politics is obviously weak. It wasnt that he didnt have time to answer, he didnt have any credible answers ! ! ! He stumbled several times through his answers . .

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Koyasan

I was very surprised with how well Gormley did there. It sounds like they have some good ideas, and it sounds like he's perfectly happy not be re-elected so long as the policies he's advocating get implemented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Doesn't he live in Dundalk?????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Don't know if these debates actually convince many people, but at least it was less rigid than last week's affair.

Ireland will continue to be the real loser of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

zig wrote: »
    fairly insulting to any nationalist up the north. clearly you've no interest whatsoever in a united Ireland

Your right there, love my country just as it is. Proud to come from the Republic, I knocked off any chips I may have had of my shoulder years ago.

Up the 26 county Republic of Ireland - long may it last.

Wasn't John Gromley great - really surprised by him

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jennyrose

RTE 2 Now !!!!!

meh, this series was NOT good. Laughed maybe twice. Time to go I think Dave

(A fan since Ha Ha)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭wyndhurst

Sacred_git wrote: »
    All said and done, sinners are sinners but Gerry Adams is the only one talking from the heart there and telling the truth, the other 4 come across as chancers, Enda is NOT a leader, trying to play us. Adams is a leader, we all know what his done but he is a leader and comes across as the only genuine person who cares about the country. Puts us all to shame really, we turned into greedy bunch of gits! Gerry Adams won that debate!

So..."knowing what he has done" (jean mcconville, McCabe, etc, etc, etc) you still think he is a lovely honest fellow speaking from the heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 martyc1976

Liam Byrne wrote: »

what country do you live in? the last time i looked at the map we are on an island...1 island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

The winner Gormley followed by Kenny, Adams, Gilmore and Martin.

While no one will win an election on the basis of a debate I think we can be sure that Labour will lose another couple of percent, as will Fianna Fáil. The Green party might get a seat somewhere, Sinn Féin may get to fifteen seats and I think Fine Gael may get an overall majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Tucker Max

Winner tonight had to be Gormley .. Best debater by a mile . .
    gree Id rate it

1. Gormley - well balanced didnt get ruffled.Made is points well.
    2. Adams - really went after Martin.
    3. Gilmore - Scored nice point on health with Martin and caught Inda out on his growth projections
    4 Inda - Started strong but faded fast. Major mistake on the projections and saying that they had been vetted by the Dept Of Finance. The same Dept of finance that have got all projections woefully wrong
    God help us when he's Taoiseach
    5 Martin - Steam Rolled. Had to resort to low blows.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

1. Gormley (balanced and is a good speaker)
    2. Kenny (only because I expected him to be worse)
    3. Martin (the others should have buried him with all the ammo but his good debating skills kept him alive)
    4. Gilmore (all soundbites and no substance)
    5. Adams (away with the fairies)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Frustrating watching behaviour towards Adams and SF in general, quite often childish, it feels like they are just pissing in the wind, no matter what they say they are just going to be laughed at/ganged up on/ignored. Yes there are flaws with their deficit plan but they speak alot of sense alot of the time and its completely ignored ALL of the time.

Advertisement